Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
the bloob
02 Oct 18 10:28
| Topic/replies: 6,127 | Blogger: the bloob's blog
the lady who was struck by Koepka's ball on the first day has lost sight in an eye. I'm sure that they shouted 'fore' and no blame lies with the player but surely now is the time to bring in 2 shot penalties for not shouting fore? any player hitting a spectator and not shouting fore and indicating ball direction should get an immediate 2 shot penalty. I know this would probably not have made a difference in many cases, and probably this case too, but enough is enough
Pause Switch to Standard View Ryder Cup spectator loses an eye
Show More
Report the.mad.dog.man October 2, 2018 9:36 AM BST
shes got to sue
Report lewisham ranger October 2, 2018 9:47 AM BST
apparently by the time you shout fore the spectator hasn't got enough reaction time to get out of the way. not that it's easy to hear it from 300 yards away I would have thought.

golf will always be a dangerous game, as a spectator you are to some extent taking your life into your own hands.
Report donny osmond October 2, 2018 10:05 AM BST
all golfers are insured for this reason

very sad when folk get injured

coventry city goalkeeper just got injured when hit by a puck at an ice hockey game

golf is tough to watch(compared to game with only one ball in play)
sometimes as multiple players are playing and you cant watch em all

you can shout as loud as you want if somebody is watching something else it might
not help.

one of the first things you learn is to shout fore if ball is headed towards other
folk on the course.

i have no idea why pros think they can let other folk shout on their behalf

course will be insured too

i wouldnt think lady will need to sue, simple claim will do
Report Total Bosman October 2, 2018 12:55 PM BST
Horrible thing to happen but the only surprise is it's taken this long for something this serious.

Injuries like this are covered by conditions of entry but I imagine the organisers (and possibly the player) will throw together significant compensation, not a great look to go battling someone seriously injured at your event in the courts.

The shouting of fore is a difficult one to police as they may not always know the ball is going towards fans, but hopefully this incident will make them realise if in any doubt they must at least shout rather than use the fans as a backstop as we've all seen some of them do.
Report therhino October 2, 2018 1:10 PM BST
I've been seeing more signs go up at courses in Australia advising players can be liable for injuries or damage they cause with errant balls. I'm not sure how it's policed though, or whether it's actually real or just a warning meant to remind people not to be idiots.

Two courses I play have reconfigured their layouts for safety reasons. One sacrificed a great hole to do it, luckily they had the land and know how to sculpt an excellent replacement. The issue there was the right handed slice landing near an adjacent tee box. The other is probably the best full public access in metro Melbourne, holes 4-6 completely butchered to stop balls going into houses. They still have warning signs up about players being liable through this section of the course. It's now a great 15 hole course with 3 very odd practise holes...

Do you guys in the UK have a similar thing going on or know of golfers being held responsible?
Report donny osmond October 2, 2018 1:34 PM BST
our course layout was changed as one hole ran along a busy road and fences
didnt protect houses on other side of road....once hit a car on half volley and
chuckled as ball bounded up the road, doubt i would if i had been in car

there was a story a few years back about somebody building a house next
to a golf course and then getting course altered ( might be fulford)

we were told to get insurance against injuring somebody and i seem
to remember paying about £8 to cover me for £1 million of damage i might
do.

i hit a couple of other golfers over the years without any real damage, and
probably took a couple of glancing blows myself

not heard of any disputes over damages or liability ( yet)
Report donny osmond October 2, 2018 1:46 PM BST
i did find this..

http://www.thegolfbusiness.co.uk/2012/01/how-liable-is-a-golf-club-following-the-niddry-castle-case/
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com