Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lewisham ranger
02 Oct 18 09:27
| Topic/replies: 5,280 | Blogger: lewisham ranger's blog
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/01/brooks-koepka-ryder-cup-spectator Sad

shows how dangerous golf can be. ice hockey though is even worse apparently as the puck can come off the surface so quickly.
Pause Switch to Standard View brooks koepka spectator
Show More
Report Vubiant October 3, 2018 12:19 PM BST
I don't see why Koepka should feel quite so churned up about this -I know he's a decent human being and all that -but he seems to be acting almost as if he's accepting some sort of culpability for this most unfortunate accident.
Anyone entering a golf course ( including golfers themselves) must know there's an element of risk and there are practices that try to obviate this -by marshaling and shouts of fore etc.
All levels of player sprays it now and then and nothing happens but mishaps occur and there are insurance systems to deal with them.
The issue now is between the victim ,the course and the insurance agencies. All Koepka did was lose a drive -which happened all players at some stage.
He could offer an apology and some sort of goodwill gesture but there's no need to be carrying a cross of guilt on his back. Let due process proceed with Koepka out of the picture.
Report saxon farm October 3, 2018 12:42 PM BST
Vubiant
Spot on.
Report lewisham ranger October 3, 2018 3:14 PM BST
spot on indeed, but golfers are only human beings, imagine if the worst happened and you killed someone on course- which has happened before- even though in theory it's not your fault, it would be hard to live with it knowing your actions indirectly killed another person.
Report equine flew October 3, 2018 4:36 PM BST
Did he shout "fore" ?   I totally agree everyone accepts the risks when going on a golf course.   However, it is tough to live with the fact you have impacted someones life some negatively, even by accident.
Report GoBallistic October 3, 2018 4:45 PM BST
Do batsmen shout fore when they launch a bigger and more dangerous ball into a cricket crowd ?
Report Jack Hacksaw October 3, 2018 4:49 PM BST
No.  Six!
Report donny osmond October 3, 2018 5:11 PM BST
i think most folk know the risk at a golf event and cricket match, or football, or ice hockey
or any others

golf is a bit different as balls are sometimes coming from a greater distance, and you may be watching
some other action and even with a shout fail to pick up a ball headed in your direction.

there are also some areas where the danger is increased and casual visitors to a course may
not be aware that some areas pose a greater danger.

cricket has one ball and if its launched your way theres likely somebody trying to catch it, unless
youve nodded off on a quiet afternoon of county championship cricket of course...
Report Total Bosman October 3, 2018 5:43 PM BST
Brooks did shout fore.  Technically he has done nothing wrong other than hit a bad shot, but like Saxon said, it's something you're going to feel cut up about.
Report lewisham ranger October 3, 2018 6:52 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfkIgHqvk9k

if you watch the video koepka did not shout fore, some people behind him did. as I said though not sure it would have made any difference if he had done or not as likely would have hit someone anyway
Report trebor October 3, 2018 7:58 PM BST
3 good shouts of "Fore Left" and at least half the spectators looking up to see if they can see the ball coming?
Report 1st time poster October 3, 2018 8:03 PM BST
has the lady lost her sight permanently all came out very quick for such a diagnosis  followed even quicker by her seeking compensation, is there a chance of her getting some vision back
Report lewisham ranger October 3, 2018 8:30 PM BST
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6236829/Ryder-Cup-fan-49-blinded-eyeball-exploded-says-KILLED.html

judging by one of the pictures I was wrong, koepka did shout fore. not that it matters anyway as she is not blaming the player.

she has a point, what were the spectators doing near that area, they were too near the green on a driveable par four. clearly a lot of players were going to drive the ball and some of those drives would be errant. it was up to the organisers to move the spectators away from that area.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 4, 2018 2:19 PM BST
Koepka: 'There was no fight, no argument' with DJ
By Golf Channel DigitalOctober 3, 2018, 11:54 am

Brooks Koepka denied that he and Dustin Johnson had to be separated while visiting the European team room after the Ryder Cup.
Speaking to reporters Wednesday at the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, Koepka said: “This Dustin thing, I just don’t get. There was no fight, no argument. He’s one of my best friends. I love the kid to death. We talked on the phone Monday and yesterday, so you tell me how we fought.
“People like to make a story and run with it. It’s not the first time there’s been a news story that isn’t true that’s gone out.”
The Telegraph, citing multiple witnesses, was the first to report that Koepka and Johnson nearly came to blows after a disagreement in the visiting team room. Golf Channel insider Tim Rosaforte confirmed the report, and multiple sources also revealed that the incident occurred.

Full-field scores from the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship

It was the second rift among the Americans. On Sunday night, Patrick Reed told The New York Times that Jordan Spieth was to blame for them not being paired together at Le Golf National and that it wasn’t “smart” for captain Jim Furyk to play him only twice in team matches.
Koepka, however, denied that there was any discord among the Americans.
“As far as camaraderie, it was fine, it was perfect,” Koepka told reporters. “The problem is you guys (the media) try to find a reason why we lost and the simple reason is we just didn’t play good enough.
“We didn’t make the putts, hit the fairways, especially me. I lost two matches and halved another one. If I win those, if Tiger (Woods) wins his; Dustin lost one with me and then I think lost in the singles. If we play how we’re supposed to play, we win. There’s nothing wrong with our team. Our team was great. Jim was great.”
Koepka also said that he was “heartbroken” after the spectator he struck with a tee shot at the Ryder Cup has now been blinded in one eye.
“Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life,” he said. “I wasn’t told what happened until I got here. Nobody feels worse about this than me, and it’s messed me up inside. I’m heartbroken. It’s one shot I definitely regret and hopefully I can speak to her.”
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 12, 2019 2:59 PM BST
HOPE THE PATRONS WILL BE SAFE TODAY
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 12, 2019 3:09 PM BST
Brooks (Major Machine) Koepka continued his outstanding Major championship play - 66 at Augusta - looking for his third Major championship in his last four contested.
The last player to win 3 Majors out of four played – would have to be Tiger of course in his ‘Tiger Slam’ of 2000-2001 when he won four in a row.

In the Majors since 2017, Koepka leads all players in score to par (40-under), birdies/eagles made (140) and rounds led or co-led (8). Brooks SG Tee-to-Green 6.7 on the field, by far the most of any player. Stellar ‘Off the Tee’: his 317.4 yard average driving distance (on all drives) was 26.4 yards better than the field average, while his 86% fairways hit was 18% better than the field average.
Report Super Hans April 12, 2019 3:47 PM BST
Followed almost every shot yesterday.
Apart from a couple of weak putts and 3 putting from 25ft on the 1st par 5, he was flawless.
Probably the easiest 6 under I've seen at Augusta.
Unlikely to continue but does seem to save his best for the big ones....
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 12, 2019 4:42 PM BST
SG STATS are against him
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 12, 2019 5:45 PM BST
DAY 2. - ALL OVER THE SHOP today
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com