Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Happy Valley
01 Oct 18 12:01
| Topic/replies: 3,321 | Blogger: Happy Valley's blog
just read this stat this morning. makes you think a number of people didn't do their Ryder Cup homework, esp Captain Jim (great guy that he is)
Pause Switch to Standard View Mickleson 192nd of 193 in driving...
Show More
Report donny osmond October 1, 2018 2:32 PM BST
compounded that error by picking him to play foursomes
Report trebor October 1, 2018 3:04 PM BST
That's an interesting point Donny, logic is that Phil would be better used in fourball, but Phil drove from the first, so in theory would only need to hit his driver 3 or maximum of 4 times, I think the other thing that maybe swayed them into doing what seemed so wrong was that both he and Bryson play with a draw, but with one being lefthanded playing the way they did gave them correct shape shot on 15/16 holes.

Could have taken the even numbers and got 3 of the 4 par 3's and still only 3 or 4 drivers, but the then both players would be playing unsuitable holes for them.

My home course was excellent for our team matches as it hid my weakness perfectly, which was that I was such a short hitter but by taking the odds I got to play 3 par 3's and the drive on the 3 shortest par 4's on the course, another par 4 where you had to lay up at corner of dogleg, just left 2 par 4's that where long and a 4 on those two would probably win you the hole half the time.

And I just loved playing from up too 100 yards further up the fairway than I normally would have Excited
Report lewisham ranger October 1, 2018 5:38 PM BST
USA would not have been good enough anyway regardless of the phil pick. would xander have done much better? I doubt it.

but still, I think if phil hadn't had that good start to the season by winning in mexico then he would have been nowhere near the team. by the time the ryder cup came around, it was clear he was hopelessly out of form.

strange that furyk made his first three wild cards straight away and then waited on finau, who was in much better form that phil for most of the season. hardly a ringing endorsement of the big man either.

I think in future USA captains will do well to think much more in terms of form and less in terms of star names.
Report Kelly October 1, 2018 5:53 PM BST
Given that Phil was playing poorly , and with advancing age factor , picking him was a huge gamble .  It failed miserably .

Who would you pick instead of Phil ?  Maybe the USA strength in depth is not as deep as some think . The bias in world rankings because of the dominance of the US Tour skews the whole process in my book  , making the USA run of the mill pros look better than they are , particularly in the heat of a Ryder Cup.

Jim Furyk's picks let him down , Bjorn's did us proud .
Report donny osmond October 1, 2018 6:03 PM BST
nice trebor, our course was more balanced, but 3 and 5 were shortish par 3s, so
quite a tough start either way for foursomes, and good to pick a partner you liked!

i think finau would have been 3rd pick had bryson not won two weeks on eve of announcement.

then he would have been better picking zach johnson, as no4 pick

ryder cup is rather tagged into the end of usa season, then travel half way
round the world. seems also that there are a few americans that dont enjoy
each others company. tireness just going to magnify that.
Report mafeking October 1, 2018 6:33 PM BST
surely players who've got some chance of keeping it on the fairway most of the time for an away match would be a decent start ? as we've seen form on the pitch and putt courses in the states counts for very little
Report Mighty Whites 2008 October 1, 2018 6:45 PM BST
with hindsight the US picks turned out to be a disaster don't think 3 of them got a point.

The team had a lot of big bombers and Furyk should probably have balanced the team out with some solid ball strikers. Zach, Kuchar, Kyle Stanley, Billy Horschel etc may have been a better bet.
Report sewter lives again October 2, 2018 12:28 PM BST
i would have been looking at Horschel and Bradley as picks-as stated by others Zach and Kuchar wouldnt have let the US down and would definitely have played better than those selected.

Horscel especially must be spewing-in prime form and his accuracy stats right up there
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com