Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
STUDYFORM
06 Aug 18 23:14
| Topic/replies: 20,557 | Blogger: STUDYFORM's blog
The latest forum competition, the US PGA:  PLEASE ENTER ON THIS THREAD

This is how it works:

There are 12 sections You have to pick 1 player, Yes/No, or number (depending on which section) for each one. The scores for each selection are listed below.
Just put the letters A to L with your choice for each - preferably going downwards, followed by a tie-break answer.

In the event of a tie, a tiebreak will come into effect so there will be an overall winner.

There may or not be prizes for this. (it’s being worked on).

It would seem the event is not on any mainstream TV, so I’ll be updating at the end of each day’s play, or quicker if any sections end.

The Sections: and some details/clues/history
The event is being held for the 1st time since 1992 (when Nick Price won), at the 7,547 yard Bellerive Country Club in St Louis, Missouri. A few other big tournaments have been held there over the years, but most recently the biggest have been Seniors events, and the course has been altered a bit since 1992.

A. How many will Open winner and last year’s runner-up Francisco Molinari score in Round 1 (His 3  previous 1st round scores in the PGA have been; 73, 71, and 71) 3 points for exact, 1 point if 1 out
Par is 70

B. Day 1 Leader: Name the player who will lead the event at the end of the 1st round. 6 points for the leader, 4 points for whoever's in 2nd, 2 points for being in 3rd. 1 point if 4th.
You may need to look at the full list of players (outright winner betting page will do) to pick your selection.

C. How many of the 22 players whose name FROM THIS LIST (just in case of I’ve missed any) begins with an ‘S’ will make the cut?: Only 70 players (+ties) make the cut. 4 points for being right, 2 points if you’re 1 away, 1 point if you're two out.
A number between 0 and 21 for this section.
These 21: Schauffele, Xander Schmuhl, Jason , Schniederjans, Ollie, Schwartzel, Charl, Scott, Adam. Sharma, Shubhankar, Simpson, Webb, Singh, Vijay, Smith, Cameron, Smith, Jordan, Smock, Brian Snedeker, Brandt, Sowards, Bob, Spaun, J.J., Spieth, Jordan, Stanley, Kyle, Steele, Brendan, Stenson, Henrik, Stone, Brandon, Stroud, Chris, Sullivan, Andy, Suri, Julian

D. What will the Cut-Mark be? (ie what will be the highest score which will qualify players for the last 2 rounds).
The last 2 PGA championships were cut at +5, +2 and +2 (the worst halfway scores to remain in).
It’s likely to be an over par score, but doesn’t have to be. Your choice.
3 points for being correct, 1 point if 1 out either way.

E. Best 3rd round score. Par is 70. Tournament record 63.
2 points for being right.
Choose (imo) from 62 to 75 - but the probability is 64 – 66 (possibly depending on the weather)

F. How many of these 20 will be in the Top 20 (and ties) at the end of Round 3 4 points for exact, 2 for being out by 1, 1 point if 2 out.
So, any number between 0 and 20 for your selection, please. (They’re 20 of the most fancied); D Johnson,  R. McIlroy, J. Thomas, B. Koepka, J. Day, J. Rose, J. Spieth,  R. Fowler, J. Rahm, T. Fleetwood, T. Woods, F. Molinari, T. Finau, P. Reed, H. Stenson, P. Cantlay, A. Noren, M. Leishman, P.Casey, X. Schauffele

G. Top Asian. At the end of the PGA. 3 points for top, 1 point for 2nd, (among the Asians). This list is more or less in betting order:
Choose from: BH An, K. Aphibarnrat, S. Han, S-J Im, Y. Ikeda, S. Imahira, SW Kim, W. Kim, S. Kodeira, A. Lahiri, H. T.  Li, H. Matsuyama, S. Sharma, R. Tokimatsu, YE Yang Miyazoto Yusaku

H. Top GB and Ireland player At the end of the PGA. 4 points for top, 2 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd (among the Brits/Irish)
Choose from: R. McIlroy, J. Rose, P. Casey, T. Fleetwood, I Poulter, R. Fisher, E. Pepperell, A. Sullivan, S. Lowry, C. Wood, M. Fitzpatrick, T. Hatton, R. Knox, P. Harrington, P. Broadhurst, J. Smith, P. Dunne, M. Wallace, D. Willett

I. Top Continental European Player: At the end of the PGA. 4 points for top, 2 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd (among the Euros)
Choose from:J. Rahm, H. Stenson, S. Garcia, T. Pieters, A. Noren, R. Cabrera-Bello, A. Bjork, F. Molinari, T. Olesen, M. Lorenzo-Vera, M. Kaymer, J. Campillo, A. Levy, A. Otaegui, M. Korhonen T. Bjorn

J.Top American: At the end of the Tournament. 5 points for top, 3 point for 2nd, 2 points for 3rd, 1 point for 4th (among the huge number of Yanks)
Choose from: Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas, Tiger Woods, Jordan Spieth, Brooks Koepka, Rickie Fowler, Patrick Reed, Patrick Cantlay, Tony Finau, Xander Schauffele, Bryson Dechambeau, Bubba Watson, Matt Kuchar, Phil Mickelson, Webb Simpson, Charley Hoffman, Zach Johnson, Daniel Berger, Kevin Kisner, Russell Henley, Kevin Chappell, Kevin Na, Brian Harman, Jimmy Walker, Luke List, Brandt Snedeker, Gary Woodland, Keegan Bradley, Kyle Stanley, Ryan Moore, Chris Kirk, Aaron Wise, Billy Horschel, Jason Dufner, Brendan Steele, Chesson Hadley, Andrew Putnam, Beau Hossler, J.B. Holmes, Julian Suri, Pat Perez, Peter Uihlein, Austin Cook, Jamie Lovemark, Scott Piercy, Bill Haas Brian Gay, Charles Howell, Chez Reavie, Jim Furyk, Ollie Schniederjans, Ted Potter, Troy Merritt, Andrew Landry, Chris Stroud, J.J. Spaun, James Hahn, Jason Kokrak, Michael Kim, Nick Watney, Brice Garnett, Patton Kizzire, Ryan Armour, Scott Brown, Stewart Cink, Davis Love, Ben Kern, Bob Sowards, Brian Smock, Craig Bowden, Daniel Balin, David Muttitt, Jason Schmuhl, Jaysen Hansen, John Daly, Marty Jertson, Matt Dobyns, Matthew Borchert, Michael Block, Omar Uresti, Rich Beem, Rich Berberian, Ryan Vermeer, Sean McCarty, Shaun Micheel, Shawn Warren, Zach J. Johnson

K. What will be the outright winning margin? last 5 US PGA’s have been won by; 2,1,3,1 and 2 strokes.
Choose from: P/O, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9+.
3 points for being exactly right.

L. What will be the final winning score? Par is 280. But it was 284 last year.
The last 5 years winning scores were 276, 266, 268, 268, 270.
In the last 25 years the lowest US PGA winning score was 265, and the highest 280 (all venues). 5 points for spot on, 3 points for 1 out, 2 points if 2 out, 1 point if 3 out.
Choose a number (imo) between 264 and 290.

TIEBREAK : 3/4 ball winners. Pick the winner of these 3 mythical matches:
1. Kok, Smock or Block
2. Kisner, Lovemark, Love, Cantlay
3. Fleetwood, Woods, Wood, Woodland.
Simple as that.
If they all miss the cut, the best score for 2 rounds will still count. Any ties, 1st round score prevails

Other stuff
E&OE - If there's a player missing from any of the sections as I've listed them (I don't think I've missed anyone), he will be ignored for scoring purposes.
Any ties in any sections, points shared; (eg, if the score is 2 points for 3rd, 1 point for 4th, and there's a tie for 3rd, both will score 1.5)
Please put initials with any ambiguous selections (eg. There are 3 Johnsons, 2 Woods) any doubt about a selection for a section will score ZERO for that section regardless of the intention.
If I’ve made any glaring errors please let me know, and I’ll do my best to rectify….. otherwise….
The organiser's (that's me) decision is final. I'll endeavour to update scores and standings at the end of each day's play.
Entries accepted until 1.00pm (UK TIME) AND NOT 1 MINUTE LATER, Thursday 9th August, because I was delayed in putting this thread up (NO LATE ENTRIES ACCEPTED, as the event will have started before the competition does – but not by much.)

Scores and updates, prize info, and everything else connected will appear on this thread. Whilst all assistance and constructive criticism is appreciated, make sure you leave the thread relatively clear so the updates can be easily found.
Good Luck everybody and enjoy the golf.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 105
By:
STUDYFORM
When: 06 Aug 18 23:20
There are 22 players beginning with "S" not 21 (Section C)
By:
detraveller
When: 07 Aug 18 00:15
A. 72
B. P Casey
C. 9
D. +4
E. 65
F. 7
G. SW. Kim
H. Fleetwood
I. Olesen
J. D. johnson
K. 5
L. 263
TB: Kok, Kisner, Fleetwood
By:
scaredmoney
When: 07 Aug 18 04:06
A- 73
B- Dustin Johnson
C- 6
D- Par
E- 64
F- 8
G- H.Matsuyama
H- J.Rose
I- J.Rahm
J- D.Johnson
K- 3
L- 277
Tie Break- Group 1

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
By:
detraveller
When: 07 Aug 18 07:28
I think I misunderstood the tiebreaker. Actually I still don't understand it. But please change my answer to Group 3.
By:
STUDYFORM
When: 07 Aug 18 08:04
No you didn't detraveller, it's my poor instruction, sorry. I should have said winners and not the singular.
I am indeed looking for 3 names.

Tiebreak: The Winners of each of 3 groups
By:
stephaniebot
When: 07 Aug 18 08:27
A 71
B Luke List
C 11
D +3
E 64
F 10
G Aphibarnrat
H Fleetwood
I Olesen
J Spieth
K 2
L 269

Tie Breaks Block, Kisner, Fleetwood

Thanks
By:
detraveller
When: 07 Aug 18 08:30
Alright, then my original answers stand.

Thanks for the comp.
By:
paulypaul
When: 07 Aug 18 09:05
A 70
B Speith
C 8
D +3
E 66
F 9
G Matsuyama
H Rose
I Garcia
J Spieth
K 1
L 270

Tie Breaks Block, Kisner, Fleetwood

Thank you!
By:
GRANTCKING
When: 07 Aug 18 12:36
Laugh so many commas in section C, my head is spinning!
By:
GRANTCKING
When: 07 Aug 18 12:44
A. 70
B. jason day
C. 10
D. +2
E. 64
F. 9
G. mastsuyama
H. rose
I. rahm
J. dustin johnson
K. playoff
L. 270

TIEBREAK. kok, cantlay, fleetwood
By:
STUDYFORM
When: 07 Aug 18 15:58
Sorry Grant, For the 1st time ever, I c+p'd. It looks better on chit chat. (not much does, so a feat in itself).
Didn't 'Kok, Smock, Block' make you smile though?
By:
Danno
When: 07 Aug 18 16:00
A - 68
B - John Rahm
C - 7
D - +4
E - 65
F - 7
G - Matsuyama
H - Fleetwood
I - Stenson
J - Tony Finau
K - p/o
L - 271

TB - Kok, Cantlay, Fleetwood
By:
fish in chips
When: 07 Aug 18 16:08
A. 69
B. Dustin Johnson
C. 10
D. +2
E. 63
F. 6
G. SW Kim
H. Fleetwood
I. Molinari
J. Koepka
K. 2
L. 265
TB: Smock, Cantlay, Fleetwood

Cheers for organising all this Study, I miss the good old days of the ChitChat quizzes!
By:
Clerkmore
When: 07 Aug 18 16:48
A. 69
B. Patrick Cantlay
C. 9
D. +6
E. 65
F. 10
G. SW Kim
H. R McIlroy
I. A Noren
J. P Cantlay
K. 1
L. 272
TB. Kok, Cantlay, Woods
By:
GRANTCKING
When: 07 Aug 18 18:59

Aug 7, 2018 -- 9:58AM, STUDYFORM wrote:

Sorry Grant, For the 1st time ever, I c+p'd. It looks better on chit chat. (not much does, so a feat in itself).Didn't 'Kok, Smock, Block' make you smile though?

Grin it made me grin yes!

By:
kincsem
When: 08 Aug 18 01:50
A. 72
B. Kevin Kisner
C. 8
D. 142
E. 67
F. 11
G. H. Matsuyama
H. T. Fleetwood
I. A. Noren
J. Michael Kim
K. P/O
L. 2810

TIEBREAK
1. Block
2. Kisner
3. Fleetwood
By:
Hank Hill
When: 08 Aug 18 01:54
A: 69
B: T Fleetwood
C: 16
D: +4
E: 65
F: 9
G: SW Kim
H: R McIlroy
I: T Olesen
J: J Spieth
K: 2
L: 269
TB: Kok, Lovemark, Fleetwood

Cheers as always for running the comp study Happy
By:
Hank Hill
When: 08 Aug 18 01:55
kincsem you must be expecting a very brutal course Silly
By:
kincsem
When: 08 Aug 18 02:43
Laugh
L. 2810
*L. 281
By:
kincsem
When: 08 Aug 18 02:44
Just imagining I was playing. Sad
By:
mengmeng
When: 08 Aug 18 13:45
A. 69
B. Rahm
C.8
D.+3
E. 65
F.8
G. H.Matsuyama
H. R. McIlroy
I. J. Rahm
J.Dustin Johnson
K.2
L. 269

TIEBREAK
1. Kok
2.  Cantlay
3. Woods,
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 08 Aug 18 16:29
A. MOL 71 shots
B. SPIETH (FRL @35/1)
C. 9 (from 22 's' excl Streelman Tongue Out)
D. 146 (+6 CUT)
E. 65 (-5 Rd3.)
F. 6 (favs from T20)
G. Matsu @3/1
H. RORY @11/4
I. Noren @15/2
J. Spieth @14/1
K. 2 Strokes win @7/2
L. 268 total (-12)
TB. Kok, Cantlay, Woods.

© CMIYC (Deputy Commissioner) Devil

BEST OF LUCK Punters and tia STUDY
btw, Has your Mrs 'sexy tracy' entered this year ?
By:
STUDYFORM
When: 08 Aug 18 17:38
My Mrs is called (and rightly so, dear if you red this) Delightful. I don't know who sexy Tracy is.
Good name for a lady.... bad one for a man though.
By:
Garden Of Gulab
When: 08 Aug 18 17:41
Even for Spencer Tracey?
By:
Garden Of Gulab
When: 08 Aug 18 17:49
A. 70
B. Rickie Fowler
C. 11
D. +3
E. 65
F. 10
G. Ikeda
H. Rory
I. Stenson
J. Schauffele
K. 2
L. 278

TIEBREAK :
Kok, Kisner, Fleetwood

Many thanks once again STUDYFORM, so much more enjoyable than reading endless bickering
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 08 Aug 18 18:27
scaredmoney

Please post your tie breaker again Devil
By:
system99
When: 08 Aug 18 18:41
A.68
B.C.Hoffman
C.19
D.0
E.66
F.13
G.A,Lahiri
H.J,Rose
I.H,Stenson
J.Dustin Johnson
K.3
L.269
TIEBREAK,1.Kok,2.Cantlay,3.Fleetwood
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 08 Aug 18 18:55
Cut at even par System99.....wow, must be 'an easy' course in the first two rounds.

btw, what 3 's' don't make the cut ???
By:
STUDYFORM
When: 08 Aug 18 18:58
Especially for Spencer Tracy (or any of the thunderbirds). Garden of Gulab.
And, I know, you're right, I shouldn't let it get to me, it just makes them worse. This is better than taking part in the endless bickering too.
By:
STUDYFORM
When: 08 Aug 18 19:00
Just wait for the full grid (Thursday early evening, after work), cmiyc.
Then the analysis is easier and better to check.
By:
system99
When: 08 Aug 18 19:07
@ catch me,only judge i have is from 2008 and was soft then, winner 15 under, but the big boys mainly wern't in that, with all the rain they've had, i think its gunna play alot easier than people think and there will be some low scores out there
By:
system99
When: 08 Aug 18 19:11
plus greens are fooked , they have no choice but to leave them slower/easier than they would like.
By:
STUDYFORM
When: 08 Aug 18 19:29
My list:

A. 70
B. X. Schauffele
C. 13
D. +5
E. 64
F. 8
G. S. Kodeira
H. E. Pepperell