Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lewisham ranger
24 Jul 18 20:10
| Topic/replies: 5,280 | Blogger: lewisham ranger's blog
with the final major of the season the PGA just around the corner it seems odd in some ways that the season has really be dominated by a 42 year old returning from back surgery.

cast your mind back two years ago and all the talk was of "the big four". that domination by DJ, Rory, Jordan and J Day never transpired. Rory hasn't won a major for four years now and Jordan hasn't won all year. Rickie and Matsy look no closer really to that major breakthrough. I think what this year has demonstrated more than anything is how open it is now at the top level. Anyone can win and they are all taking turns. I think if anyone is going to come through and dominate over the next four to five years it's Jon Rahm but he's run out of excuses in terms of performing in majors. For me a lot of these players have been disappointing, although as we're constantly reminded, there's only four majors a year and it's very tough to win one of them.

I think it would be a fitting conclusion almost to this "lost year" if Tiger was to win the PGA, because to me that would sum up how little progress some of the top players have made over the last three years in terms of stamping their authority, that the guy who used to dominate, can come back and kick their butts.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 32
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 24 Jul 18 22:21
Think as was said by some at the time don't believe the hype.

The current crop are all good on their day but there is a lack of consistency hence why none truly dominate. Also many of those towards the top of the game are 'bombers' rather than great golfers who can adapt to different set ups and conditions.
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 24 Jul 18 22:22
As for Rahm he needs to learn to control his emotions before he will dominate anything. At the moment in majors he would be better focusing on making some cuts than dreaming of winning.
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 24 Jul 18 23:48
you might be right mighty mate (and usually are tbf) but I've always felt that rahm is going to be extra special, that when he gets it right he'll be the one to kick on and dominate. also a lot of these courses now are set up for the bomb and gouge brigade, and he's the best of that lot imo.

another one I think who is underachieving at the moment is fowler, his win rate is very poor for someone who routinely is priced up at single figures, however I've long felt that when he gets it right he'll win one of these majors by a long way.. and he will get it right eventually.

having said all that I think for the pga you should be looking at the older guys like tiger/rose, because they seem in a better place mentally at the moment than a lot of the younger guys who seem very anxious.
By:
Kelly
When: 25 Jul 18 02:34
With the preponderance of the power game , results seem to be increasingly dependent on the course set up . I gave Dustin no chance of winning around Carnoustie in the prevailing conditions , yet he was favourite in every book . Most of the younger golfers can play the normal events with gusto , which determines their world rankings , but not their ability necessarily on a course presenting different problems .

In the past the great players were much better than most of their fellow competitors , evidenced by their garnering of a lot of the Majors . Think that day is gone , there are no current players substantially better than most of the others ( except when conditions suit their game completely) . Rory is the most talented golfer out there , until he approaches/reaches the green , that is . If he putted like Speith he would hack up most times  , but most times he putts like Francisco's brother .

Rahm displayed a terrible lack of maturity last Friday , from threatening to lead at half way to missing the cut ( easily) in a few holes . The Americans backed out in the final round to a man except for Tiger who looked like he was relishing the fight unlike most of his compatriots . Speith was 2/1 fav on Saturday night , even though he was not playing brilliantly over the 3 previous days .

Betting on the last Major indicates no outstanding fancies , but the bookies will continue to offer short prices on the favourites and most punters will fall for the shorter priced ones . I prefer to bet in running when you have seen the course conditions and how potential winners handle conditions . But carefully given transmission vagaries .
By:
1st time poster
When: 25 Jul 18 04:49
well that makes no sense you,d give your right arm to putt like Franny has this season and wouldn't give a dime to putt like speith has this last 18 months,every time tiger has got in contention this season his game has collapsed in minutes,got to be the worst bet out there to turn some pretty good play into a win,only the wind and been able to keep the driver locked away helped him up the leaderboard this week ,how many times do those stars align, he basically played well on Saturday in the best conditions when not really in the heat of battle, hardly form for a major in a months time
By:
dlarssonf
When: 25 Jul 18 07:36
If ever a player summed up the word hype it's Jon Rahm
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 25 Jul 18 09:20
have to disagree with that larsson

he's already a top player. he's won what, how many times on the european tour? from not many starts

needs to start getting it done in the bigger events. I think eventually he'll win a major but if he's going to have that hall of fame career he needs to get one in the next couple of years imo.

huge, huge talent imo.
By:
therhino
When: 25 Jul 18 10:10
Leading POTY contenders atm are probably Bubba and Moli, you'd have got decent odds on either at the start of the season.
By:
fish in chips
When: 25 Jul 18 12:04
Just goes to show how many light years ahead Tiger was compared to these other guys. Rory, Speith, DJ, Day, Thomas etc. All players who can beat the opposition when playing well, but they only bring their "A" game 2 or 3 times a season, if they're lucky. Tiger was going into tournaments as even money favourite at his peak, every week there was a "betting without tiger" market because he was so dominant and unlikely to have an off-week. Monty would probably be world number 1 and multiple major champion if he was 20 years younger and playing against the current crop.
By:
Kelly
When: 25 Jul 18 12:12
Think that a major factor in pro golf these days is that you basically earn zillions just for turning up . As long as you maintain a decent world ranking it is easy peasy to get sponsors aboard and to milk the system . As an example , one then prominent player from these isles was approached some years ago in respect of a "day" visit to one of our local clubs .  He asked for 80k for the day , on a course he had played many times and who had members he knew .  Needless to say he was told to get stuffed , he wasn't worth even 10k in my opinion . Another player , a former European No 1 obliged for 2k .

Seve was well known for liking appearance money , but worth every penny in my book . He had an "arrangement" for playing in our biggest event where he was guaranteed 10k win or lose , zero cost obviously if he exceeded the 10 k in prize money ( which he invariably did) . When he won his first Masters the arranger approached him as he left the  Butler cabin to check that he was still coming in August to play , Seve said with a twinkle in his eye " Yes , 10 k , see you in August -- but next year it will cost you more ". Fair play to him .

Dont think any of current world top 10 would get out of bed for less than a substantial sum .
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 25 Jul 18 12:58
As an example , one then prominent player from these isles was approached some years ago in respect of a "day" visit to one of our local clubs .  He asked for 80k for the day , on a course he had played many times and who had members he knew .  Needless to say he was told to get stuffed ,

wasn't ian poulter by any chance? Laugh
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 25 Jul 18 12:58
actually "one then prominent player" suggests someone who's now retired

monty? Confused
By:
system99
When: 25 Jul 18 20:33
Fair enuff he screwed the pooch at carnoutie but dusty is now all round the true number one and will cement that over coming years, i predict stay number 1 for next 5 plus years
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 25 Jul 18 22:25
you've got to be joking.

was even tiger in his pomp world number one for that length of time?

and you're saying a 33 year old who's won one major is going to dominate for the next five years?

i'd be absolutely amazed if that happens. good luck to you but you'd get very long odds.
By:
system99
When: 26 Jul 18 04:03
tiger 5 years?!? i'd suggest minumum of 10 years,a bit longer prob, being 33 for athletes this day and age isn't on the downward  curve, still prime-time, have u seen him, another decade b4 he feels it.
he has had a few years enjoying life, only just settled in to being a model pro so to speak.
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 26 Jul 18 07:51
dj a very good player but you'd have to say to some extent he's been a flat track bully. run up countless dominant wins in lesser events. with one exception not done it in majors.

he's done well to keep hold of the world number one spot for as long as he has, although he briefly lost it to thomas earlier in the summer. however to hold it for five years, you'd have to be an exceptionally driven individual, to keep the motivation up for that long and he doesn't have that mind set for me, very few people have. that's one of the things that set tiger apart.

not to mention players like spieth, thomas, rahm and mcilroy will be nipping at his heels for that period. good luck to him, but i'll be surprised if he's world number one in a years time, let alone five years from now.
By:
therhino
When: 26 Jul 18 08:54
DJ a flat track bully Laugh Best major is the US Open. Has won 5 WGCs, which comfortably puts him second on that list behind Tiger. Has won 4 playoff events, equal most with Rory. Has won at Riviera. But, he p1sses in a couple of wins at Kapalua and he's a flat track bully Crazy

Off to the naughty corner for you lewisham.
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 26 Jul 18 09:05
best major isn't the us open. it's the masters.

wgcs are strong events but not majors. the fact is that dj should have won more majors with the talent that he has.

anyway we're getting off the beaten track here. whether he is a flat track bully or not is irrelevant, the main point is that i'll be amazed if he's world number one in five years time.
By:
therhino
When: 26 Jul 18 09:11
His best major is the US Open.
By:
jedi sophie
When: 26 Jul 18 09:23
Interested to read that some now agree with some stuff I said on J Rahm way way back, and got slaughtered..
I actually thought he had under control a tad but watching him on the links swing cemented my earlier views I made, he's got real course management and temper issues,like real toys out the pram I'm a big baby issues.

Spieth has some real issues to by the way having watched him closely at Open.

And yes I'm fully aware both are super talented and mega rich,I just see both basically getting in there own way. For now...
By:
system99
When: 26 Jul 18 10:45
RIGHT MR LEWISHAM........A POUND ON IT

We will meet back on here July 26th 2023 and if he's had it more than 3 years, you owe me and vice versa

HAVE WE A BET SIR??? CoolWinkCool
By:
dlarssonf
When: 26 Jul 18 10:52
How can you say DJ is a flat track bully but Jon Rahm isn't and is the future ?? You can't just pick and choose to suit your own bias , it's ridiculous Laugh
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 26 Jul 18 12:26
funny how someone is suggesting that DJ will be world number one for the next five years and I'm the one getting ridiculed.. but I guess that's the forum clique for you Wink

yes system you're on mate. £1 quid for DJ not to be world number one, although I notice you've now changed it to only three years. Silly

as for rahmbo, yes you're right jedi he tends to throw his toys out of the pram too often, but take that fire away and he'd be half the player he is. next dominant player imo.
By:
Total Bosman
When: 26 Jul 18 12:45
TBH I think we are drifting away from the idea of anyone being a dominant player.  The strength in depth in golf is greater than it's ever been and it feels like we're getting new superstars through at an increased rate- we're already looking ahead at guys like Niemann or Champ when Rahm or even Spieth are just getting started. Winning is just going to get harder and harder so expecting any one guy to dominate is unrealistic, but the game's better for it.
By:
system99
When: 26 Jul 18 12:46
THE 2 YEARS GRACE IS THE LEVELLER TO MAKE IT AN EVEN POUND, IF HE WAS TO HAVE TO HAVE KEPT IT THE FULL 5 YEARS I'D WANT ODDS LOL (OOOPS CAPS)

ps, pretty sure i'm not in any clique, if i am i missed the email Tongue Out
By:
system99
When: 26 Jul 18 12:50
but the game's better for it

now this i agree with completely, i may thing dj is different gravy, the more quality players coming thru the better
By:
trebor
When: 26 Jul 18 13:15
Wow that's the first decent bet I have seen Lewisham get
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 26 Jul 18 13:37
even blind squirrels can find nuts... Wink
By:
GoBallistic
When: 26 Jul 18 13:58
Carnoustie is probably best ignored.  Long game not really tested at all and super soft greens to allow for wind that never materialised
By:
jedi sophie
When: 26 Jul 18 23:40
If only i had the time or inclination to work out how many players LR has suggested will be the next big dominant player,or will win a major or a big tourney,generally includes all of the top ten players in the world in turn....
By:
jedi sophie
When: 26 Jul 18 23:43
Pretty sure his latest love interest TIGER, a short while back he had written off as an ageing nonentity..
With little to offer up against the modern day GREATS.
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 27 Jul 18 07:03
tiger Love
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel