Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
seaside
24 Jun 18 10:12
| Topic/replies: 2,598 | Blogger: seaside's blog
Always wanted to go to watch the open whats it like ?

Any tips ?
Pause Switch to Standard View Whats it like going to the open ?
Show More
Report bigH June 24, 2018 9:47 PM BST
think it depends on venue

for viewing and overall enjoyment:

Loved Carnoustie, Royal St Georges and St Andrews

Hated Hoylake and Lytham
Report seaside June 25, 2018 9:35 AM BST
Thanks for that
Report kincsem June 25, 2018 4:36 PM BST
I live in Dublin.
The 2019 it is in Royal Portrush, Northern Ireland, and I plan to go (only a 240 km drive x 2).

Tips: small binoculars
Report xmoneyx June 29, 2018 4:58 PM BST
you don't know what's happening unless you hav a 5- live radio earpeice

top golfers deep crowd so need to go to tee -off a few holes before they reach hole

I went to a par 3 - stand and watched

crazy but I enjoyed big screen at venue watching with others
Report xmoneyx June 29, 2018 5:07 PM BST
friday is a good day

last chance to see every player - cut

watch sunday home - 65 inch tv HD

food
Report lewisham ranger June 29, 2018 5:34 PM BST
will try to go to carnoustie this year if i can. you can't beat the atmosphere of a live event can you.

went to the british masters last year, my first golf tournament live and was following rory around. got exhausted and hot and bothered after a few holes as the course was so hilly. struggled to see any of the action as crowds were so deep, can imagine at the open it will be even more extreme.

one of the things i noticed with the golf is how quiet it is, like if they are in the middle of the fairway they just quietly approach the ball and hit it, watching it on the tv you are used to all the commentary in the background, from that fat aussie and so on.
Report Total Bosman June 30, 2018 11:53 AM BST
Never been to a competition day because I'm always on here for it but can recommend taking in a practice day.  Beats the big crowds, nice and relaxed and can get to see a lot of players up close, and without the frustration of not really knowing what's going on all over the course on a competition day.  Gives you a much better perspective on the course for viewing the rest on TV, too.
Report donny osmond June 30, 2018 12:36 PM BST
i went to final day at st andrews when jack won, it was brilliant, if a little difficult to see it all

practice day is a brilliant idea, watch the players, check out the course, go home watch it on tv

maybe do last day once or twice when there looks to be a good finish!
Report lewisham ranger June 30, 2018 12:42 PM BST
question about the open- could i just turn up and buy a ticket on the day- or is it likely to be sold out? Confused
Report donny osmond June 30, 2018 2:50 PM BST
ive never heard of it selling out

can get tickets from open site, but i suspect the discounts will be finnish.

open in ireland really appeals to me ....very temped to have a couple of days , maybe weds thurs

so long as it doesnt clash with my world cup cricket tickets ...
Report FatherMaguire July 5, 2018 8:29 AM BST
Been to a few Fridays at different Opens - obviously very busy, some courses are easier to get round than others- Birkdale last year was a nightmare, seemed very few crossing points, and there was huge congestion - Hoylake was a relative piece of cake - they usually put big names out in consecutive groups so get ahead of the game and get a spot on a good par 3 maybe 30-45 mins before the first group arrive
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 15, 2019 3:19 PM BST
kincsem,

ENJOY, and bring your brolly
Report bustino July 17, 2019 10:17 AM BST
Did the Wedesday Thursday at Lahinch really enjoiyed both days esp the wedesday think if i was going to an Open would do the same......next year plan is to get tickets for Wimbledon easier said then get but happy doing my annual few days at at Chetleham in November and champions day at leop and a few days at Punchestown.........Used love Arc weekend its a while since I travelled and did a few Breeders Cups when lived in US.

Would love do Augusta def for me the premier major but exspect tickets difficult to source
Report sewter lives again July 17, 2019 11:27 AM BST
went to Birkdale for the Saturday-it seemed really well organized and we had a great time

managed to get round to the 18th green just as Brandon Grace was putting out for his 62 we were crossing in front of the 18th and the steward wouldn't let us stop to see the putt. However, a local lad said to him (in the vernacular)
.... off mate this is history" so he let us stay
Report Blackrock July 17, 2019 11:41 AM BST
You have to be a true golf fan to go to the Open. Massively busy and difficult to get good views of the top players. Disagree with some on here about practice days. Waste of time as players practice chips and putts over and over on the greens.

If you want to see great golf and get good views , try going to Wentworth. Easy to follow golfers around the course and get many close-ups of players.
Report sewter lives again July 17, 2019 11:50 AM BST
agree Blackrock about Wentworth
Report NORTH BERWICK July 17, 2019 12:45 PM BST
My best memory of an Open was Muirfield. Went in tented village and and saw 3 blonde models selling Cashmere jumpers. Ive never seen such good looking women in my life, they were awesome. Not surprised they were doing a roaring trade. Golf was ok, but they were better !
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com