Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
par
17 Jun 18 22:07
| Topic/replies: 7,964 | Blogger: par's blog
I see he had the bare faced cheek to turn up and play today.

That's his legacy in the game tarnished for ever.

I doubt Nicklaus, Arnie or Watson would have behaved like that.
Show More
Report xmoneyx June 17, 2018 10:29 PM BST
he was giving his birdies fist pumps todayExcitedCryDevil
Report par June 17, 2018 10:37 PM BST
shameless.

Imagine if P Reed had behaved like that ? Eh ?
Report anxious June 17, 2018 11:55 PM BST
Isnt he a trump fan as well the arrogant bell Plain
Report therhino June 18, 2018 12:16 AM BST
More than a Trump fan, they are business partners.
Report Racingqueen June 18, 2018 12:16 AM BST
The over reaction to this is nearly as cringe as the time they wheeled Tiger out to give that apology speech
Report JML June 18, 2018 7:26 AM BST
Agree--nothing deceitful in what he did.
Report Can't Catch Me June 18, 2018 9:46 AM BST
Thought it was very poor form myself and he should have been DQ'd.
Report Total Bosman June 18, 2018 10:51 AM BST
I don't think there's been an overreaction, certainly not from the rules officials  who I thought were pretty pathetic about it.  It was one of the worst things I've seen in golf- not just the moving putt which could've been put down to losing his head on a tough day, but his attempt afterwards to frame it as a deliberate attempt to take advantage of the rules (I'm not sure it did save him shots but he claimed it was an attempt to do so).  Breaking the rules isn't always the same as cheating (we see penalties equal to the one Phil received for things players can't even control), but deliberately breaking them to gain advantage certainly is.

He seemed to think he'd tried to get one up on the USGA / rules officials but in reality he was cheating everyone else in the field, and should have had the dignity to DQ himself.  It's less controversial because of his position on the leaderboard but by playing on he's stolen money from everyone who ended up below him - buttons to him, and to some of them, but I bet every dollar counts to guys like Mickey DeMorat or Calum Hill.

Golf rightly prizes etiquette and fair play, and other figures like Vijay, Monty and even Player have had a cloud over their careers from the allegation of cheating incidents.  It also begs the question - if Phil is willing to cheat is it the first time he's done it?
Report trebor June 18, 2018 11:11 AM BST
If you Google deceitful you get about 30 synonyoms, never seen a more acutate disciption of someone before.

He bends the rules at every tournament, he calls it knowing the rulebook, well he should know that for what he did here the correct decission by the rulebook is  disqualification, he got away with one again, but that is how he works.

Extract from Phils rulebook.

Bad lie;

1..Look for Tyre marks, rabbit droppings a few raisens from the high fibre snack in the golf bag will do, burrowing animal or adnormal ground conditions (he tried that one from the middle of the fairway this week), line of sight, grass cuttings (Ernie spoilt that one a bit), 

2..If rule 1 no help call for a ref and say you need to identyfiy the ball, that will help a bit.

3..If identifing markings clearly visable (Fcuk it), ask crowd if anyone has stood on or moved ball, the crowd always want to help, someone may lie for you after all they laugh at the slightest thing any player says or does, shows willingness to get involved.

3./1b..Lost ball, ask crowd if anyone saw someone else pick up ball, much less pressure on crowd and will often get a response, purely by coincidence have a glove and sharpie in view when asking gets a higher positive response rate.

4..Call ref and say you want to check if your ball is plugged, rain in last week helpful but not essential, when ref says dont think so, great that shows doubt now get the chance to check if it has broken the crust and that involes much more scope for improving lie.

5..Call ref and ask if you are allowed to move grass so you can see your ball when playing shot, again used this week, from a player who "knows the rulebook" just didnt know untill he asked if the ref would fall for it.

6..Never forget depending on who your playing partner is maybe ask him first with help on any of the above as they may need your help later in the round.
Report Can't Catch Me June 18, 2018 11:23 AM BST
Spot on TB
Report xmoneyx June 18, 2018 12:19 PM BST
great post bosman
Report jedi sophie June 18, 2018 3:38 PM BST
The answer to TB question is NO.Its not the first time, I was on this forum when he was at it not too long ago in a series of consecutive holes where he was all over the place, someone may be able to ding the thread,lots of discussion on The Great Phil then too.
An arrogant prick in my view.
Great player great career, arrogant prick.

Proven no end by interview where they merely prodded him expecting an apology instead of asking him straight out was he cheating...He was.
Report par June 18, 2018 5:45 PM BST
was that when he got a drop from the middle of a bush because there were cables or something there
Report trebor June 18, 2018 6:49 PM BST
Think it would have been the 2017 WGC in Mexico, got a few drops in that round.

Worst one I have seen him do tho was at the Scottish Open about 15 years ago, on the 9th he hooked ball into very deep right hand ruff and called for ref because he said the a water pipe / system was stopping him from playing the shot he wanted to play onto the green, he managed to convince the ref that he intended to aim 50 yards left and hook the ball with his wedge onto the green, completely unrealistic shot, and all the time he was talking with ref he knew that if he got the drop it would be where he was flattening the grass as they talked, got drop and played straight onto green.
Report lewisham ranger June 18, 2018 7:23 PM BST
I think Phil just lost his head. Doubt there was any real calculated attempt to cheat. Just got lost in the moment.

Hopefully in the cold light of day he will come out and admit he made a mistake and apologise. If there's never any contrition then he has an even bigger ego than his Figjam nickname gives him credit for.

totally agree with total bosman that the response from officials was pathetic. should have been disqualifed on the spot if they actually had any cajones.
Report lewisham ranger June 18, 2018 7:30 PM BST
https://twitter.com/TweeterAlliss/status/1008771153798815744

Laugh
Report xmoneyx June 19, 2018 8:34 PM BST
yank commentator Excited

https://mobile.twitter.com/LynneMcCarthy/status/1009034740631064576/video/1
Report JML June 20, 2018 12:34 AM BST
Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
Report lewisham ranger June 20, 2018 9:16 PM BST
https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/mickelson-not-my-fines...
Report therhino June 21, 2018 8:49 AM BST

Jun 19, 2018 -- 2:34PM, xmoneyx wrote:

yank commentator https://mobile.twitter.com/LynneMcCarthy/status/1009034740631064576/video/1

Laugh

Can't get enough of this video.

Report xmoneyx June 22, 2018 5:43 AM BST
Phil doesn't give a fcuk usga, it's his birthdayWink
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 12, 2019 5:12 PM BST
jedi sophie • June 18, 2018 3:38 PM BST The answer to TB question is NO. Its not the first time...lots of discussion on The Great Phil then too....An arrogant prick in my view. Great player great career, arrogant prick. Proven no end by interview where they merely prodded him expecting an apology instead of asking him straight out was he cheating...He was.

PHIL's a TRILL
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com