Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
donny osmond
11 May 17 23:58
| Topic/replies: 85,197 | Blogger: donny osmond's blog
Next time you're hacking your way around the golf course, summon the spirit of the player who not only failed to card a single par but only managed two bogeys on his way to an eye-watering 127 in US Open local qualifying - finishing 55 shots over par.

Starting on the 10th hole at Silver Lakes in Glencoe, Alabama, Clifton McDonald began badly with a double bogey seven.

But things got significantly worse, and he was 14 over par after six holes by the time he stepped on to the 16th tee. Fourteen furious swipes later, he had completed the par five.

Most people would have walked off. But not Clifton.

He forged on regardless to make what the Alabama Golf Association says is without doubt "the highest score we've had in any qualifying event".

"The guy was really nice. It's just you could tell he was in over his head," executive director Andy Priest told BBC Sport.

"It was a beautiful sunny day, it wasn't breezy at all. It's just a tough golf course.

"The feedback we got from other players was that it was firm and fast. Honestly it's good qualifying for the Open at Erin Hills.

"We got his scorecard and he confirmed what he had shot, but we didn't speak to him for very long. You could tell he had had a long day.

"But it I will say one thing, the gentleman played it out."

bbc.co.uk
Pause Switch to Standard View US Open qualifying: Golfer scores 127...
Show More
Report lewisham ranger May 12, 2017 11:35 AM BST
tbf I'd probably score around 300 around that course

or any course for that matter Scared
Report therhino May 12, 2017 1:22 PM BST
Just a clever way of Joe Average getting a free round on a nice private course maybe?
Report Mighty Whites 2008 May 12, 2017 6:40 PM BST
He must have been a ringer. Its $175 to enter the us open qualifying think they got over 10000 entrants last year.
Report Total Bosman May 12, 2017 7:04 PM BST
"But it I will say one thing, the gentleman played it out."

Take note, Danny.
Report RacingCert May 13, 2017 7:26 AM BST
Shades of Maurice Flitcroft.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1291587/How-worlds-worst-golfer-gatecrashed-Open--truly-teed-men-blazers.html
Report terry mccann May 13, 2017 1:05 PM BST
wasn't there someone who played in one of the lesser events on the PGA who shot something similar? the guys in the box were very unkind,taking the p1ss out of him,but they did interview him after and it was somekind of a fluke he got into the field, oddly enough never to be seen again
Report donny osmond May 13, 2017 8:31 PM BST
bobby clampett, as an amateur was playing as a marker in us open, and
was removed from course for playing one handed Laugh

he was very good at trick shots !
Report JML May 14, 2017 2:31 AM BST
It was a long time ago,but I always thought
it was for hitting tee shots whilst on his knees.
Report trebor May 14, 2017 10:55 AM BST
Not exactly a trick shot but I once saw Bobby Clampett play a full shot around 200yards with a youngish tree with about a 6 inch diameter between him and the ball, contact with the ball and tree was pretty much instantaneous, ball finished around the green and one half of his club about 100 yards short.

Was a long time ago as his partner Ronan Rafferty had a full head of longish hair !!
Report donny osmond May 14, 2017 12:17 PM BST
jml, i think he was playing tee shots off one knee and off two knees, maybe some left handed stuff too.

clampett was great putting one handed too
Report frames June 3, 2019 9:37 AM BST
Save starting a new thread.
Qualifying today over here.

Interesting what ambition some players have ,Sky spoke to Havret yesterday, he has never missed a 36 hole qualifying event and only qualified once.We all remember which one that was.
Anyway he has dropped so far he is now on the Challenge tour.He did well yesterday so was in Belgium late.He had a taxi booked to take him the airport ,9-0pm flight to Heathrow ,then had a car hired to get to the course.Never mentioned where he planned to sleep.Probably won't qualify but got to admire his dedication well into his 40's.

Sky had Detry doing a bit of commentary, young kid making his way in the game.He is taking 2 weeks off ,basically cannot be bothered trying to qualify for a major.Not so dedicated.

Good luck today Gregory ,enjoy your lie in Detry.
Report saxon farm June 3, 2019 10:26 AM BST
Thanks frames, I enjoyed reading that.
Report Total Bosman June 3, 2019 4:58 PM BST
Burmester -16 and a trip to Pebble, not a bad day's work.  Does look like a pretty weak line-up compared to recent years, plenty of lesser lights earning themselves a pretty nice little holiday.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com