Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Jack_Kray
22 Mar 17 22:22
| Topic/replies: 832 | Blogger: Jack_Kray's blog
Has there ever been a golfer who's been such a sympathy sponge? It seems every other week he's playing with some kind of illness or ailment. Things that most others would keep to themselves.

Without taking away the seriousness of his mum's illness, why the heck did it take him from being 3 down before he held a tearful press conference and withdrew from the tournament?

I'm now finding myself being suspicious about his vertigo at the US Open, falling over, but then carrying on.

'Milking it' 'hamming it up' call it what you will
Pause Switch to Standard View Jason Day - Sicknote
Show More
Report Aussie Driver March 22, 2017 9:24 PM GMT
What a fecking moron you are
Report Aussie Driver March 22, 2017 9:25 PM GMT
Loses his father to cancer, now losing his mother to cancer, and he is a "sympathy sponge". You are a low human being
Report Jack_Kray March 22, 2017 9:32 PM GMT
We've all lost people to illness AD, my point is that J Day is a bit of a wuss in general. I have every sympathy re his mother's illness btw.

He's milked every ailment he's ever had, to the max. And is doing the same with this sad news.
Report Aussie Driver March 22, 2017 9:35 PM GMT
Sitting back in your lounge chair making some assumptions about what he has milked.

Truth is the guy has not exposed this and carried it for months, while fools like you have sat back and said what a wuss he is. If only you had as much strength as him. This is an appalling thread
Report Jack_Kray March 22, 2017 9:49 PM GMT
AD - I think J Day is a wonderful talent when on his game. However, I've never known a pro golfer to come up with so many excuses re his health or personal circumstances as him.

Maybe it's the 'boy who cried wolf' thing, but him holding a press conference, crying his eyes out and withdrawing from a tournament because his mum was diagnosed with a serious illness (for which  have very sympathy for)seems a bit odd.

When was his mum diagnosed, mid round? Or has he known about it for a while? It seems to me he was playing sh1te, and just used as an excuse, then he thought about it and the tears came out and he got emotional.

A physical and emotional hypochondriac.
Report Aussie Driver March 22, 2017 9:58 PM GMT
Yes he has known about it for a while, and rather than induce sympathy, has tried to play through it. While guys like you say he is a wuss. That is the complete opposite if you ask me, but it seems you are desperate to fill a vile narrative.

You can keep saying you have sympathy all you like, it means nothing when you say things like "crying his eyes out and withdrawing from a tournament because his mum was diagnosed with a serious illness" in the sentence prior. Again, if only you saw the fact he has not attempted to gather sympathy earlier. Maybe he would have been better advised to do so and not carry it around himself.

Your comments are disgusting and that of a keyboard warrior.
Report Jack_Kray March 22, 2017 10:05 PM GMT
AD - how many sportsmen do you assume have suffered heartache during their sporting careers? How many jockeys, golfers, footballers etc. have had news that one of their parents are ill but have carried on?

J Day has a history of being a wuss, and I'm sorry to say he's milking it, and you've fallen for it
Report Aussie Driver March 22, 2017 10:11 PM GMT
Just disgusting. I'm when BOTH of your parents have or have died from a terminal disease you will just have a giggle and carry on as if nothing has happened. God knows it's a terrible blight if you showed some emotions.

You should be ashamed of yourself
Report Jack_Kray March 22, 2017 10:18 PM GMT
Who's 'having a giggle'? You seem to have lost all track of reality.

The bottom line is if J Day was upset by his mother's sad diagnosis, he should never have taken part, rather than play sh1t then withdrawn.

Harsh maybe. but this is a golf forum and not the Samaritans
Report lewisham ranger March 22, 2017 11:28 PM GMT
I agree with aussie driver here.

Your comments are disgusting and heartless and have no place on ANY forum, sporting or otherwise.
Report Total Bosman March 22, 2017 11:41 PM GMT
Guy's going through an awful time, broke down before the world's media and the thread that gets started on here isn't to express sympathy but to criticise him.  Unbelievable.
Report eight ball March 23, 2017 1:17 AM GMT
First and last time.
Some on here know who i am but for others

Jason Day has BPPV(Benign Vertigo) which means for life.No problems but when it hits sporadically,instant vomit and nausea, you just learn to manage it,Usually last 5 hours to 24 hours.Fact.
JD Skeletal issues have been rectified but as is a growing occurrence of this era's Golfers on-going management is required. Fact.
Hand issues '14 fixed.

Everything else written/talked is only ...conjecture.

Everyday lives are turned upside down by close family tragedy,this sports person is been confronted by seeing his other parent go through what happened when he was 12.
No one,Repeat,No one can claim to knowing how someone else will react.

Have said this before, decipher any negative comments made concerning any sports person and you get
I have lost money Gambling on the outcome of a Sports event

P.S.Have lived a while and have never witnessed anyone to Equal Jason's unseen determination.
Report therhino March 23, 2017 8:53 AM GMT
Accusing someone of using their dying mother as an excuse to not play golf because he isn't play well, is a pretty bad thing to say there Jack. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
Report Jack_Kray March 23, 2017 12:10 PM GMT
Do any of you guys think he would have withdrawn if he was 3 up after 6? Me neither.  I get the impression he knew he was probably going to lose against Perez, and quite likely not make the next stage, started thinking about not being there, and wished he stayed at home with his sick mum instead, and got emotional about it.

Will any of you back him for, say, The Masters? What happens if he bogies a few holes early on? will he withdraw again?

To reiterate, this is a golf betting forum, and J Day is usually near the head of the market, if not outright fav. It's a worthy topic to discuss.

He withdrew from a tournament a few weeks ago with flu and a 'double' ear infection. He always seems to be giving running commentaries about his various ailments. he nearly withdrew from the match play with a bad back last year, but 'bravely' carried on to win in a canter, including 2 X36 holes at the weekend.

He likes to be seen as a 'brave soldier' imo
Report lewisham ranger March 23, 2017 12:46 PM GMT
So basically you care more about losing your bet than you do caring about whether or not someone is suffering because their family member is struggling with a disease.

I think that says a lot more about you than it does about Jason Day.
Report lewisham ranger March 23, 2017 12:47 PM GMT
And I wonder if you'd have the guts to say all this to his face- my guess is, perhaps not...
Report Jack_Kray March 23, 2017 1:19 PM GMT
'Say it to his face'? seriously? Is this suddenly an under 14s forum?

I have every sympathy for someone suffering with an illness in the family.

I'm dubious as to why it manifested itself when he was 3 down. Why start at all? Why not just hurry from the course once he became upset rather than hold a press conference about it? Surely it's a private, personal thing.

There's probably quite a few sportsmen and women who are currently in a similar situation, but I'm struggling to think of a single one who has downed tools in a losing position and held a tearful press conference about it.

It's terrible what has happened to his mum, as it for any person anywhere with such an illness. My point is, that as a professional sportsman, he hasn't handled the situation very well, and as this is a betting forum, I'm pointing out that with his track record, both physical, and now emotional, he is a liability.
Report therhino March 23, 2017 1:22 PM GMT
I'll back him for The Masters if he plays. Ken Oath.

Still can't get my head around a supposed adult calling out a guy he's never met and has no idea about for 'milking' his mothers terminal disease. What a bloke you must be.
Report Jack_Kray March 23, 2017 1:35 PM GMT
@therhino

I'm referring to him 'milking it' in general, with all his ailments and illnesses.

It seems I'm not alone in thinking it was dubious of him withdrawing only when in a losing position. Some comments from the PGA website:

"He should have pulled out before starting the tournament.  No one would think any less of him for wanting to be with his mother.  I think most of us here would want to be with our mothers.  But he not only screwed over an alternate, but he screwed over his group as well."

"I'll be the voice of skepticism here. First of all, I think it's messed up that he makes this decision on the 7th hole of his first match. So, now he's deprived an alternate from playing in the tournament because he couldn't make this decision earlier. Seriously, Mr. Day. If you wanted to be with her, I'm not sure how you made this decision on the 7th hole as opposed to earlier in the week when another player could have been chosen."

"questionable how he made the decision after going even through 5 and doubles 6"
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 1:56 PM GMT
My guess that as a big name in the sport and having missed the last WGC event he felt under an obligation to turn up.  He has fans and sponsors who want to see him play.  However, on course it became clear to him that he couldn't focus on golf and just wanted to be with his mum.  It's petty and irrelevant to wonder whether he walked because of the score, as it's more likely the score was in part because he couldn't focus.  The only person really entitled to raise an eyebrow is Tony Finau (first alternate) but I bet even he understood Day's position far more than you seem to.

He's been through a lot and he's a hugely family-oriented guy.  He might not have the single-minded focus on golf that Tiger had but sure as hell makes him a better person.
Report johnnythebull March 23, 2017 2:01 PM GMT
i,also,wondered why did he start in the first instance when he pretty much knew this was always on the cards at some stage denying Finau the phenom,who was very gracious about it.
re his mother's condition..we all have or had only one mum and some's filial/maternal bond can be very strong as is obviously the case here so i do feel for the guy
but that's not to say that some of the points raised by J_K re his somewhat primadonna behaviour PRIOR to this incident do not carry more than some weight
tho' maybe they could have been touched upon more sympathetically
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 2:05 PM GMT
Also there are plenty of examples of dubious "injury" walk-offs from guys playing badly - Rory's legendary toothache being one, and Stenson is a repeat offender.  Week in week out there are walk-offs far more worthy of a raised eyebrow than a guy dealing with a terminally ill mum.
Report lewisham ranger March 23, 2017 2:06 PM GMT
that pga tour site is full of trolls. just because someone has put up such a comment doesn't make the point relevant.

just move on you are digging yourself in ever deeper.
Report lewisham ranger March 23, 2017 2:08 PM GMT
bosman has nailed it there are far too many dubious withdrawals in general for this one to rise an eyebrow. he has a genuine case for withdrawing.

seems like the original poster has done his cajones on day in the outright and is now throwing his toys out of the pram- and seems to have little sympathy for day, i mean his mother is just dying from cancer after all.
Report pa lapsy March 23, 2017 6:09 PM GMT
Right 'n all Jason Day ,you have only one mam,more important things than a game of golf,plenty of time for you in the future.
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 7:09 PM GMT
The Woodland WD is really bad for Rory.  All in Soren's hands now.
Report Total Bosman March 23, 2017 7:11 PM GMT
Oops, wrong thread.  Still, interesting to hear Jack's thoughts, or hadn't he backed Gary?
Report Jack_Kray March 23, 2017 8:11 PM GMT
Notice the difference TB - compared to the song and dance Day made about his withdrawal?

"Tournament officials say Woodland has withdrawn for personal reasons. A statement was expected later"

Unlike Day, Woodland has no history of being a prima donna either. This thread is based on JD's history, and not this lone incident.

Btw - high street bookies always refund on such incidents, so I haven't lost a bean on him.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 March 27, 2017 9:53 PM BST
The timing of Jack's thread may have been a little insensitive however I suspect the message has a lot of truth.

Day does tend to always have some kind of minor ailment and makes sure everyone knows what it is.

It may have been the case that Day thought he would tee it up and hope that golf took his mind of his problems but once he started he just wasn't there and decide to withdraw to be with his mum.

He said he wanted to spend time with his mother but this friday 8 days later he is planning to head to Augusta to prepare for the masters.
Report crystalhunt March 29, 2017 6:14 PM BST
I think the difference between Day and Woodland is that the press were far more interested in Day's situation, rightly or wrongly, hence more publicity. Day's mother was having a procedure to remove a cancerous mass from her lung and Woodland's wife lost one of the twins she was carrying. Having now spent significant time with their loved ones, both players have announced their intention to tee off at the Masters, surely on the insistence of their families. Hopefully they are both able to compete to the best of their ability. There's usually a story attached to the winner of the Masters so I will be having a small punt on both of them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jason-day-plans-on-playing-masters-final-call-based-on-mothers-cancer-diagnosis-004113488.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gary-woodland-explains-wgc-match-play-withdrawal-163821277.html
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 11, 2019 10:54 PM BST
IS HE INJURED AGAIN ?
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 12, 2019 1:33 AM BST
Jason Day's back flared up early Thursday at Augusta National.
Day is in the mix, but his status for the rest of the tournament is uncertain.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com