Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Catch Me ifyoucan
17 Jul 16 23:21
| Topic/replies: 18,579 | Blogger: Catch Me ifyoucan's blog
Singles Matches you want to see at the Ryder Cup

Stenson vs Phil (again)

Willett vs Spieth

Rory vs Spieth
Rory vs Dustin

Beef vs Boo
Beef vs JB
Beef vs Bubba
Beef vs Reed

Sergio vs Reed
Poults v Reed

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 196
By:
donny osmond
When: 17 Jul 16 23:46
i'd love to see fourballs on a sunday afternoon to decide it for a change

play the singles on saturday

wont happen , but i enjoy watching fourballs more than singles
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 22 Aug 16 00:37
Matty FITZ v ??? - a win for USA !
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 22 Aug 16 20:10
FIVE Rookies are now confirmed on the European Team - Fitz, Sullivan, Rafa, Wood & Willett.
The automatic nine also include Rory, Stenson, Sergio & Rose.

Darren will add his three selections next Tuesday 30th - Captain Clarke's 3 wildcard picks will surely include Kaymer & Westwood, with Knox, Pieters & maybe Gmac or Luke forming an orderly line.
By:
sykes10
When: 23 Aug 16 21:25
no such thing as a cert but can only see a home win this time around
By:
TheBear
When: 23 Aug 16 22:28
Id like to see only 2 players sit out fourballs/foursomes
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 23 Aug 16 22:51
Same thing is often said before recent ryder cups.

The US team looks like being the same guys who keep losing only Koepka will be a newbie.

Bubba, Rickie, Kuchar, JB Holmes, Furyk all going to need a wildcard as it stands.

A lot depends on who plays well over the three days.

Europe have a few rookies this time but in fairness they have qualified on merit. Knox is needing a wildcard and is currently 6th in the fed ex.

The septic tanks are probably favourites with home advantage but it could easily go either way. Not many American's in great form.
By:
GRANTCKING
When: 23 Aug 16 23:12
this european team is going to get pumped in the usa sadly
By:
sykes10
When: 24 Aug 16 02:02
home team well up for this one,as someone pointed out before that even when europe had a strong team any win for europe was still very hard got,some clown shouted out usa when stenson was taking a shot at the recent uspga so that probably says a lot and theyll be hell bent on winning this time,also only a couple of months ago usa were even money,then 5/6 but when jimmy walker won a few weeks best available was 8/11,now its 4/6 8/13 can see america going off 1/2,im sure people will be lumping on
By:
sickoflayinwinners
When: 24 Aug 16 21:57
id say use even allowing for the fact the  haven't won for a while  just about represents  favs but if they start 1/2 ill deffo be a layer
By:
FatherMaguire
When: 26 Aug 16 08:23
I can't see Europe winning this time round, but the stats say Europe have only been behind twice going into the singles since 1981 (and they won one of those in 95). Lay makes alot of sense.

Am struggling to get my head round the prices for wildcards - there's sense in going for experience, but can't see why Shane Lowry is 16/1 - he's won WGC events, and has started to turn up at majors and seems Europes next player to step up and win one
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 26 Aug 16 11:41
Lowry has been shocking since he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the US Open. Id be amazed if he got a pic.

Surely the three wildcards will go to Kaymer, Knox and Westwood.
By:
tim6
When: 26 Aug 16 14:40
Lowry dosen't deserve to be picked as he couldn't bother playing for Ireland in the Olympics they are better off without him
By:
ashleigh
When: 30 Aug 16 12:33
european wild card picks.

m kaymer
l westwood
t pieters
By:
therhino
When: 30 Aug 16 12:54
Some pretty dodgy betting in the lead up. Not sure how Knox doesn't get a start, and something clearly wrong in how the spots are tallied before the captains picks for him not to already be on. Ranked 22 places above Sullivan, 28 above Fitzpatrick. Broken system imo.
By:
dave1357
When: 30 Aug 16 13:05
Think Knox would have been close to getting an automatic in the US team!  He would have been in the Euro team if his WGC win points had counted.
By:
therhino
When: 30 Aug 16 13:44
Imagine the hat throw if Europe win a thriller and he sank the winning putt.
By:
xmoneyx
When: 30 Aug 16 15:35
knox not in?
By:
xmoneyx
When: 30 Aug 16 16:01
I fancy westwood bottom of table ryder cup pointsWink
By:
par
When: 30 Aug 16 16:33
Westwood (gone) Kaymer (bottle shot to bits) Pieters (are you having a laugh)
By:
Mr Eboue
When: 30 Aug 16 18:29
For anybody wondering why Knox wasn't picked, here's a good reason why -

At the beginning of last week, an interview with Knox was published in Golf Digest magazine. That, too, probably damaged his case for a pick. Knox displayed an alarming sense of entitlement. It would have been understandable had Clarke harboured grave doubts about Knox's ability to fit into a team once he read that interview.

"As I said to someone recently, my big problem was not getting the points for winning in China," said Knox of his victory in Shanghai.

"I'd be in if they counted. So there is a moral obligation to pick me, I guess. I don't want Darren to pick me because of that, though. His goal is to pick the three best players who did not make the team. And I have a hard time not thinking I am one of those right now."

Moral obligation? This was a player dictating to a captain - and no good ever comes of that. It was a bizarre approach from Knox; it was utterly self-defeating when Pieters was already laying down a huge case for inclusion.

Knox went on: "If all he [Clarke] does is list those he thinks are playing the best right now, I don't know how I can't be in the top 12. I know people are assuming I am the third of the three picks if he goes for Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer. But I should really be the first."

The first? It smacked of arrogance.

Knox has only recently become a member of the European Tour, but ticking a box is not enough. He has not shown the commitment to playing in this part of the world that his captain would want.
By:
1st time poster
When: 30 Aug 16 18:58
all europeans success has been built on team spirit,togetherness that the yanks just cant seem to match,knox like laid is american in all but name and doubt clarke needed much encouragement to leave him out the form of pieters just made it alot easier for clarke
By:
johnnythebull
When: 30 Aug 16 19:39
knox is a pathetic choking sweaty..wouldn't be a pick for the Solheim
By:
jedi sophie
When: 30 Aug 16 19:50
EASY JTB,,EASY!PlainPlainPlain
World ranking above half of Euro team,Two wins this year..A WGC also..
Wwood won fook all in Yonks.Kaymer not won since US Open,and just not the same player.Pieters should be in he deserves it,The old pals act out here at its worst..Experience bla bla bla.BOLLOCKS.

Knox should be in!Happy
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 30 Aug 16 20:13
Personally I would have picked Knox as one of the wildcards but I can see why Clarke hasn't.

The team is very inexperienced which has helped Kaymer and Westwood.

Peters performance in the last three weeks has shown him to be a player in great form. His finish in Denmark was excellent.

I don't think Knox has been helped by basically being a US Tour player who joined the euro tour after his win. Not sure whether he was eligible to join prior to his win in China but if it was it begs the question why he didn't join earlier. Knox didn't help himself by not playing in the Wyndham where he could have got points to qualify automatically.
By:
xmoneyx
When: 30 Aug 16 20:37
I thought westwood was based Florida
By:
dave1357
When: 30 Aug 16 20:43
One thing is that the course is quite long and Knox might have struggled - tho I can't understand why he didn't play either of the last two pga events - they were ideal courses for him and one decent finish would have got him in.
By:
therhino
When: 31 Aug 16 10:13

Aug 30, 2016 -- 8:43PM, dave1357 wrote:

One thing is that the course is quite long and Knox might have struggled - tho I can't understand why he didn't play either of the last two pga events - they were ideal courses for him and one decent finish would have got him in.

it was a hectic schedule this summer, and after the Travelers win, with a likely 4 weeks on the bounce ending at East Lake, he was right to sit out the JDC and Wyndham. Obviously thought he had done enough, I tend to agree.

By:
par
When: 01 Sep 16 15:50
Westwood confirming , if needed , that he is splaying woeful.

Fitzpatrick has earned his way on, goodness knows how.

Sullivan, a great wee player but been struggling since playing well in USA.

Kaymer, I just cannot have him at all. I honestly think his nerves are  shot to bits.

Is the USA not a moral certainty.
By:
Mr Eboue
When: 01 Sep 16 16:05
Kaymer is a two time major winner who holed the most pressured 6 foot putt imaginable to win the Ryder Cup in 2012.

Westwood is superb under the pressure of the Ryder Cup. No worries there.
By:
Clerkmore
When: 01 Sep 16 16:56
The US are definitely certainties.

Westwood should have been named as vice-captain ages ago. He will be hoping to find a partner like Colsaerts in 2012 who carried him to a win. There is no chance he will stand up to the pressure as he has been dire all year when he's been in contention. If he had any honour he would stand down.

Kaymer is not the player he was either.

The Ryder Cup has always been an old pals act in Europe. Torrance, James, McGinley, Clarke, Westwood etc. Knox should have made the team for sure but he's not part of the inner circle.

I would have picked McDowell as at least he can putt and proved himself in the last two Ryder Cups.
By:
johnnythebull
When: 01 Sep 16 17:18
most overrated tournament in history
By:
xmoneyx
When: 01 Sep 16 19:27
can't we have a 1 player brexit wild card Wink
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 01 Sep 16 20:51
I can see why Westwood has been picked. Suspect he will only play once each day probably in the foursomes. Tee to green he is still a good player and it is important to have experience. I wouldn't put too much store on his form in regular events suspect it gets harder and harder to get up for them. This year he was second at the Masters and played with DJ in the US Open final round so still has it in there.

Kaymer again has the experience and baring his collapse in the middle east generally good under pressure.

With home advantage the US are probably favourites but there team is essentially the same players who have been beaten time and time again.

Ultimately it will come down to who plays best over the three days and probably who holes the most putts. If Rose, Stenson, Rory, Garcia turn up and play well Europe have every chance.
By:
Clerkmore
When: 12 Sep 16 16:12
Fowler, Holmes and Kuchar are the Captain's picks.

I thought he might have gone for some new blood, Berger, Thomas etc.
By:
Mighty Whites 2008
When: 12 Sep 16 18:29
still got one more pick clerkmore although I suspect that will be Furyk or Bubba.

Essentially they are going in with the same players who keep getting beat.
By:
mafeking
When: 12 Sep 16 21:07
must something wrong with the world rankings if they're so out of the date the world number 7 doesn't get in the first 11 picks
By:
Puggy4
When: 13 Sep 16 10:15
At the moment the world no 7 is not playing like the 7th best player in the world. Ranking based on form over two years and Bubba playing poorly at present.
By:
charwell.
When: 13 Sep 16 16:21
Clerkmore, Westwood has proven time and again he has the minerals for the Ryder Cup and he is a hugely popular and influential figure in the dressing room. Kaymer is a double major winner and a popular figure who again is a fine matchplayer who has all the experience and pedigree needed.

My only qualms are with the auto qualifiers - Fitzpatrick, Wood and Sullivan are the weakest looking links and think they won't get many points between them. Not a lot the selection panel can do about that. Pieters looks the real deal. So I am 100% behind the European picks.

The US picks don't strike me as good ones. Holmes is not an ideal foursomes player and think he lacks bottle. Fowler has yet to win in 8 matches at the Ryder Cup and Kuchar also has a losing record.

Kuchar has an overall losing record as do Sneddeker and Walker of the auto qualifiers. I think Reid/Speith and DJ look like scoring plenty of points and fancy Koepka will step up to the plate.

As Mighty Whites has pointed out this US team is primarily comprised of players with moderate records in the event and matchplay generally.

The US have home advantage but have the mental scars to overcome. I think it will be very, very close and couldn't have the US as any more than a marginal favourite.
By:
FatherMaguire
When: 13 Sep 16 23:59
Good write up that - agree you cant make USA huge favs, but reckon the course will be set up to suit, and the crowd will turn as nasty as they need to to carry them home in the end
Page 1 of 5  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com