Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
  ‹ back to topics
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Catch Me ifyoucan
04 May 16 23:22
| Topic/replies: 18,579 | Blogger: Catch Me ifyoucan's blog
GRIP IT AND RIP IT.....Welcome Mr JOHN DALY.

After 25 seasons on the PGA TOUR, BIG JOHN DALY is set to make his PGA TOUR CHAMPIONS debut at the Insperity Invitational. He celebrated his 50th birthday on the 28th April and tees it up at The Woodlands Country Club outside of Houston this weekend.
Thanks to his partnership with Loudmouth Golf, Daly’s over-the-top wardrobe fits his playing style. Texas better watch out !

He will be the only tour member in the parking lot in his camper van with no money, Two Major Championships, three children, four ex-wives and, seemingly, nine lives.

Daly will have some company in the over 50's club this year, as the list of PGA TOUR Champions newcomers include Jose Maria Olazabal, Bob Estes, Billy Mayfair, Jerry Kelly, Michael Bradley, Craig Parry and Tim Petrovic. But with all due respect, though, it is DALY's arrival that has created the most stir and ushers in a new level of excitement on the PGA TOUR Champions. Where US fans are concerned, he is the biggest name to hit the tour since Fred Couples in 2010.

DALY won five times on the PGA TOUR, the first in 1991, the last in 2004 and owns two Major Titles - the ’91 PGA Championship and ’95 The Open Championship - that PGA Championship win remains part of folklore. Daly was the ninth and final alternate for the tournament. The first five alternates had already gotten into the field when Nick Price dropped out at the last minute because his wife was about to have a baby. The three alternates ahead of Daly – Bill Sander, Mark Lye and Brad Bryant – declined the spot for various reasons.

Legend has it that Daly drove all night to get to Carmel, Indiana. Having never set foot on the course before, he shot a first-round 69, relying on the advice of caddie Squeaky Medlin, who had come to Crooked Stick expecting to work for Price. “I just remember every hole, he’d go, ‘Where do I hit it here, Squeaky?’ ” playing partner Billy Andrade said later. “He was like a blind man with a guide dog. He didn’t miss a lot of shots.” His length off the tee was a huge advantage. On the par-5 14th hole, a dogleg left that required a 275-yard drive to carry a creek, Daly hit a high, hard draw that easily carried past all the trouble and had a wedge to the green.
Of course, he wound up winning the tournament by three shots over Bruce Lietzke. The enduring image of the ’91 PGA Championship is Daly walking to the 18th green on Sunday waving a towel like it was the chequered flag at the end of a NASCAR race. A legend was born. And a golfing folk hero was created.

In 1997, Daly became the first player on tour to average more than 300 yards per drive. Leading the PGATOUR Driving distance 11 times in his career since 1991, Daly says he’s hitting it almost as long as ever off the tee but has noticed a few lost yards with his long and middle irons. “It’s really hit the last two or three years,” Daly said. “I’m losing a yard or two every year it seems.” Not to worry, though. He said his 3-iron still carries “226 to 230.”

Beyond that, nobody really knows what to expect – Daly included......backed him ew at 50's and added Monty 9/1.
(((((( PGA TOUR CHAMPIONS )))))) this week > Betfair Community > Golf
Pause Switch to Standard View (((((( PGA TOUR CHAMPIONS ))))))...
Show More
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com