Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Vubiant
11 Apr 16 14:12
| Topic/replies: 7,157 | Blogger: Vubiant's blog
1- Spieth made way  more birdies than anyone -22.  Next were Rory and Paul Casey -16.

2-Spieth murdered the par5s ....11 under   - Rory and Casey ...8 under.

3-Willett scored only level par on the par5s !

4 Matt Fitzpatrick had a quietly impressive outing -11 birdies  and 11 bogeys.

Fitzpatrick would appear to have the talent and the temperament to make a mark in the majors before too long.
Pause Switch to Standard View Some random observations from Masters
Show More
Report xmoneyx April 11, 2016 2:39 PM BST
who made most DB,TB
Report Vubiant April 11, 2016 2:59 PM BST
Double bogeys or worse

Willett      0
Westwood     0
Spieth       4 ( incl 1 quad)
Dustin       3 (but the one at 71st hole only because he gambled on birdie)
Fitzpatrick  0
Rose         1
McIlroy      2
Day          1 (a triple at the 16th!)
Report xmoneyx April 11, 2016 3:06 PM BST
nice
Report lfc1971 April 11, 2016 3:08 PM BST
Aliss made a very stupid comment on Sunday. Spieth was about halfway round and he said Willie Nelson couldn`t sing...only one of the greatest singers in the history of music!.
Makes you question everything the fat fool says.
Report Vubiant April 11, 2016 3:24 PM BST
I have long admired Peter Alliss as a commentator -he had a distinctive voice ,a sardonic and whimsical style that could appeal to golf aficionados and casual viewers alike and ,rarely and refreshingly, was a PC-free zone.
He's had a fabulous innings but I detected this year for the first time that his presentation has dipped -he looks and sounds more frail... which is no surprise for a guy of 85 .I doubt he can muster the necessary level of mental alertness any more-e.g. he referred to Dustin Hoffman the other night before correcting himself !
I hope he calls time on his great career before it fizzles out in awkwardness and embarrassment.
Thanks for everything Peter-you've been one of my 'voices of summer' for many decades.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- April 11, 2016 3:26 PM BST
Most birdies at Masters 2016.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/stats/birdies.html

Putting (3 putts in brackets)

http://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/stats/putts.html
Report xmoneyx April 11, 2016 3:36 PM BST
alliss twitter feed good
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 11, 2016 6:47 PM BST
xmx,
WHICH Tweeter feed ? - presume you mean his 'alias' account ?

@TweeterAlliss
Over 20 professional titles, Course Architect, Doctor of Laws, the outspoken voice of British Golf, but more importantly not Peter Alliss

And his VINE account is also good...
https://vine.co/u/1189007676735414272

AND NOT the 'splendid'...
@PeterAllissBBC
A haven for lovers of all things Alliss, BBC's own commentator extraordinaire.

Devil
This guy is also good...
https://twitter.com/Darth_Monty
Report gentlemanjohn April 11, 2016 6:47 PM BST
lfc1971 11 Apr 16 15:08 
Aliss made a very stupid comment on Sunday. Spieth was about halfway round and he said Willie Nelson couldn`t sing...only one of the greatest singers in the history of music!.
Makes you question everything the fat fool says.

Slightly unfair I think. It was actually meant as a compliment, Allis-style, to both golfer and country legend, inferring that Nelson didn't (technically) have much of a voice but still made great records, the same way Spieth wasnt a brilliant technician but still racked up the scores (before his 12th hole meltdown of course). Have heard the same said of Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Ry Cooder and tons of other great artists.
Report lfc1971 April 11, 2016 7:59 PM BST
Aliss would read a small monologue over the opening credits of major tournaments in previous years. He did it very beautifully, poetically.

Notice Cotter seems to do it now, he does it badly.
Report lfc1971 April 11, 2016 8:01 PM BST
yes gentlemanjohn you are right, and Aliss was right in his assessment but wrong about Willie Nelson.
Report lfc1971 April 11, 2016 8:04 PM BST
If you listen to Nelson sing `Always on my mind`...it is even better than the Elvis version.
Report lfc1971 April 11, 2016 8:12 PM BST
Aliss is also right about the ludicrous greens at the Masters. Look when you when you play your shot onto a green it should be fairly easy to get down in two for a competent player, and fairly difficult depending on how close to get a birdie.
This is how it should be for every golf course everywhere in the world. If it is not then we are not playing golf.
Report lfc1971 April 11, 2016 8:24 PM BST
Why should it be possible for a player to play terrible golf and come so close to winning the Masters, as Spieth did and would have done but for a brief disaster.
Those in charge of setting up golf course, both at the Masters and other majors do not know what they are doing and are in danger of destroying the game.
Report xmoneyx April 11, 2016 8:31 PM BST
Alex Ferguson, the long-time manager of Manchester United (steaming drunk)

Ferguson: "I had eight grand on Spieth."

Willett: "Oh, sorry." [laughing maniacally]

Ferguson: "I'm so delighted. I'm so delighted, honestly. Happy to throw it away."

Willett: "Exactly. You need to know where to put your money."

Ferguson: "Well done."
Report Mighty Whites 2008 April 11, 2016 8:33 PM BST
Think it is a bit hard to say Spieth played terrible golf.

He had 22 birdies over the course of the week.

There are many things that go into a good score but the most important is around the greens. Players who can scramble and putt well will always be in contention. Willet hit less than 50% of the greens over the course of the week but only made 7 bogeys and no doubles.

Golf isn't about how good your good shots are its how bad your poor shots are and how much they cost you. Just look at the 12 Spieth fanned his tee shot hit the bank and came back into the water another few yards and he would have been ok. willet on 12 hit a tee shot that landed just over the bunker and held up on the fringe a few inches shorter and he would have been back in the water. Day's tee shot on 16 on day 1 cost him big time on pretty much every other hole he would got away with a bogey at worse playing that shot.
Report gentlemanjohn April 11, 2016 8:39 PM BST
I'll take either version of Always on my mind, just as long as its not that horrible one by the Pet Shop Boys.

And I'd tend to disagree with Alliss about the greens, because when you take away the fauna and the old fogeys in their green jackets, those "ludicrous" greens are what give Augusta its unique character. These guys would monster this course if it wasn't for them, they only struggled this year because of fairly freakish wind conditions, Spieth did not lose it on the greens. Nor did they stop him posting a -18 winning score last year. Augusta is great because it's got a few long holes but isn't a monster, so long hitters dont have a massive advantage, and it insists that you wont be a champion there if you're not at least a very good putter - cf McIlroy and Dustybin. That's how it should be in my opinion.
Report lfc1971 April 11, 2016 8:40 PM BST
MightyWhites that is a par 3 and it fine for a short par 3 to be an extreme test of accuracy. That is what tey are for and is part of golf. A long power 3 is different and a par 4 or par 5 different again and test other aspects of golf
They should not all morth into a pitch and putt contest
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 11, 2016 8:41 PM BST
ALEX link

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/watch-alex-ferguson-tell-danny-willett-he-had-8k-on-jordan-spieth-729158.html
Report xmoneyx April 11, 2016 8:44 PM BST
darth Monty is brilliant,nice find
Report Mighty Whites 2008 April 11, 2016 8:50 PM BST
It is very rare for a player to win purely on great ball striking alone. Most tournaments are settled around pitching and putting. Each week the player who scrambles best/ has good strokes gained putting stats tends to be in the mix come sunday.

What make Augusta a great course is the number of birdies, bogeys and others. There are plenty of opportunities to make birdies and eagles but the same holes punish errant shots leading to big numbers. This creates the fluctuations that make it so wonderful to watch.
Report lfc1971 April 11, 2016 8:53 PM BST
I still love the Masters as it happens. Best time of the year.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 11, 2016 9:12 PM BST
xmx,
You may also like these old Eric Cantona ones...
https://twitter.com/footbalIfights
Report sundogmonkey April 11, 2016 11:17 PM BST
Thoroughly enjoyed this years event despite not being anywhere near having a winner. One of the best in years. Even if Spieth had gone on & won comfortably I would have thought the same, as they got a year where they course played like it's designed too, firm & fast. More often than not recent years have had a deluge of rain & even with the sub air they have it's not played as fast. Like a previous poster says it's the uniqueness of the greens that makes the event. It's a 2nd shot course and you have to know exactly where to hit it, otherwise the ball runs of the green & your left with the nightmare pitch. Not read/heard too much of the press today so don't know how much has been said about Willet's 3rd shot on 17 but bearing in mind the pressure he was under that was the shot of the tournament for me & that's what wins round Augusta. You've always been able to spray it about off the tee a bit hence Phil, Bubba, Cabrera etc all love it their. Long may it continue!
Report xmoneyx April 11, 2016 11:43 PM BST
yeah brilliant chip 17

DJ & SP bogey 17
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 12, 2016 12:14 AM BST
sundogmonkey  • April 11, 2016 11:17 PM BST.....Not read/heard too much of the press today so don't know how much has been said about Willet's 3rd shot on 17 but bearing in mind the pressure he was under that was the shot of the tournament for me & that's what wins round Augusta.

leroyb  • April 10, 2016 11:07 PM BST 
Danny going to drop one here

unclepuncle  • April 10, 2016 11:07 PM BST 
Good birdie on 13 from Spieth - the way he plays can easily see him getting another 3 in a row.
DW odds on a bogey at 17.

Dan Chipowski  • April 10, 2016 11:07 PM BST 
Tough up and down for Willet from there.

houseofpain  • April 10, 2016 11:11 PM BST 
great shot dw.

leroyb  • April 10, 2016 11:11 PM BST 
what a shot!

bobweenit  • April 10, 2016 11:11 PM BST 
BEAUTIFUL DANNY GO SON

johnnythebull  • April 10, 2016 11:11 PM BST 
u just won it there danny boy class shot
u've always had talent happy 4 u dude

Platini  • April 10, 2016 11:11 PM BST 
cracking shot.

Catch Me ifyoucan  • April 10, 2016 11:12 PM BST