Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
JohnTerry
25 Jul 15 08:19
| Topic/replies: 2,285 | Blogger: JohnTerry's blog
I have asked them on numerous occasions to put top 5 10 in order.they have taken no notice.
Pause Switch to Standard View DO BETFAIR CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS??
Show More
Report Whatoddswouldyoulike July 28, 2015 10:40 AM BST
The answer to the question above is a definite NO.

Last year I had a bet on a golfer who withdrew before the tournament and according to Betfair’s rules my stake should have been refunded. There was no argument about this. However, even though I checked my account every day and it eventually showed the transaction, stating Returns £0.00, they insisted that my money had been refunded when clearly it hadn’t.

I disputed it with them, exchanging several polite emails, each time having to go through the website as their responses all came from “no reply” email addresses. After several verbal exchanges I decided to give up on my stake (which wasn’t very big), to accept the loss of my money and to agree to differ with them. But even that wasn’t enough. They continued to send emails to me insisting that my money had been refunded, each time coming from a different member of staff, as if to insist they were right and deliberately infuriate me.

It had the desired effect, as I became more and more annoyed and insulted, and eventually told them that if they continued to harass me in this way I would have to put a block on their emails. Within a few minutes off me sending this message, yet another customer service person emailed me insisting that they were right and I was wrong. Now all emails from Betfair are blocked. It beggars belief that a company could deliberately taunt one of its customers in this way.

In a separate instance, several years ago I had a bet on “Top Midland Club”, one of their newly introduced regional football markets. IMO there was no need to look at the small print (aka market rules) as Top Midland Club was a standard market offered by every other bookmaker based on which team would finish highest in the league. How could it realistically mean anything else? I placed a very large bet and over the next few weeks the change in the market odds seemed completely bizarre, at which point I decided to read the small print and was horrified that it was actually a mini-league based on head-to-head results. I still don’t understand why on earth anyone would put up a market for the duration of the season based on half a dozen specified matches when it should logically be based on all matches. I mentioned this on the forum at the time and there must have been a dozen posters who stated that they had also misinterpreted this market.

So I contacted Betfair customer services and could not believe the dismissive attitude, stating that it was entirely my fault and that there was no ambiguity whatsoever. Apparently I should have realised that their market was completely different from every other bookmaker’s market with the same title. I pointed out that numerous other customers had misunderstood it but they maintained that it was completely my fault. Having done so, they immediately changed the market heading, stating “Head to Head Leagues” instead of just “Top Midlands Club”. But despite this change, which was effectively a blatant admission that they had caused confusion, they refused to take any responsibility whatsoever or even apologise for the potentially devastating effects on customers’ finances. I watched the market like a hawk for the next 3 months and managed to trade out losing £450 whereas I would have lost £3,500 had I not noticed the problem and let the bet run to the end of the season.

I don’t think I’ve ever come across such an arrogant bunch of individuals who insist that they are never wrong on anything. If they would for me and treated my customers in this way, most of them would have been sacked years ago.
Report Whatoddswouldyoulike July 28, 2015 10:44 AM BST
Obviously the final sentence should be "If they worked for me..."
Report sonofshinner July 28, 2015 11:27 AM BST
beggars believe.
Report therhino July 28, 2015 1:15 PM BST
Amazing how the customer service experience differs from person to person. Not sure if it's because it is handled by a different team (and actually a different company and the local operation was purchased by an Aussie) but the customer service of Betfair Australia is exceptional.
Report miss anomaly July 28, 2015 3:57 PM BST
The people you deal with on the phone are great, but the people in charge of re-ordering markets need the whip applied to them.
Report Wessex July 28, 2015 10:24 PM BST
Regarding the two examples you mention: (1) if golfers are withdrawn, bets are voided so they don't show up in your account at all; (2) of course you should read the small print and you only have yourself to blame for your loss.  Top 'X' club can be very reasonably interpreted as who comes top in a league between the listed clubs.

I'm no apologist for Betfair and have had some poor experiences myself but they were completely correct in the two cases you cite.

Regarding reordering markets, yes it is a minor inconvenience but not a major issue.  If it matters that much use an app thet does this.
Report Whatoddswouldyoulike July 28, 2015 11:24 PM BST
"I'm no apologist for Betfair and have had some poor experiences myself but they were completely correct in the two cases you cite."

You sound exactly like an apologist to me - and quite a cocky one at that.

How could you possibly know whether my stake was refunded unless you have hacked into my account? You haven't and it wasn't, so your forthright intervention is misguided and unnecessary.

As for the other example, you are talking nonsense. Regional top club markets had been offered by real bookmakers for years and had always been based on finishing position in the league, for obvious reasons. Then Betfair decided to put up a market with the same title but changed the rules completely. Why on earth would anyone bother to read the rules in such a situation? Have you read the small print in the terms and conditions of every contract you have ever signed? Obviously not. Certain things are assumed. The fact that Betfair immediately changed the market title was an unintended admission of guilt. I suppose everyone on the forum who assumed the same as me was also a fool to do so?

Anyway I'm not complaining about the money I lost. I'm talking about the appalling dismissive manner of Betfair customer services, who made it quite clear that they didn't give a toss that I and a number of other punters had lost money as a result of the confusion surrounding their market. In the other example they deliberately hounded me for 48 hours when I had generously backed down and openly agreed to differ and end the debate with them.

It's actually fairly obvious that the whole point of my post was about their appalling attitude rather than any technical right or wrong.
Report Si-K July 29, 2015 3:37 PM BST
Whatodds story sounds scarily similar to what happened to me. I was frozen out of my account for around 6-8 months. It must be software error on their part yet resolving this issue was fruitless and painful constantly having to start again with a different person despite one woman telling me she would handle it etc. Thats why I cannot trust betfair with any considerable money and do 95% of my punting elsewhere
Report miss anomaly July 30, 2015 12:05 PM BST
And another tournament gone in-play early. Two in three weeks, though this one is only 15 minutes and not an hour like the Open Championship. It seems like a hard thing to stuff up - barring apathy that is.
Report miss anomaly August 19, 2015 1:29 PM BST
If they do, reordering the Wyndham Championship winner market would be a positive way to show it :)
Report CLYDEBANK29 August 19, 2015 6:03 PM BST
Bookies care about one thing only, profit.  They only care about customers, if caring about customers leads to bigger profits.  Bookmaking is not a profession you enter if you care about making a better life for other people.
Report YOMOMMA August 19, 2015 7:49 PM BST
Look at Pinnacle sports. 1st class customer service. Most the top notch bookmakers have great customer service in my opinion Sbobet, the Greek, 12bet. So sad they left the UK.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com