Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
STELLAR MANIPULATOR
21 Jul 15 14:13
| Topic/replies: 414 | Blogger: STELLAR MANIPULATOR's blog
It seemed to be common case that St Andrews is far from ideal for attending as a spectator . Does anyone know from experience what are the best Open venues from a spectator point of view ? What is Troon like where the 2016 Open will be held ? And are practice days at the Open worth attending or a waste of time ? All info gratefully received - thinking of going next year
Pause Switch to Standard View The Open as a spectator
Show More
Report donny osmond July 21, 2015 2:42 PM BST
practice days are great , especially tuesday, and wednesday

players book tee times so its fairly easy to organise to follow
whoever you want, and see them on the range beforehand
Report xmoneyx July 21, 2015 2:43 PM BST
st. Andrews

ipad/18th or 17th grandstand

walking fairways to faraway + 9th hole doesn't come back to clubhouse,its out/in

-----------------------------

troon

a lot better views,good to walk

I prefer final qualifying week before open/get good players/walk fairways with them up close

practice days are only for tented village checkout venue/I find players often change mind when they are going out to practice,and they are mainly chipping putting around greens

go to http://www.theopen.com/ site itself gives you good info
Report RADGEPOT July 21, 2015 2:57 PM BST
Birkdale is my favourite for viewing.... Loads of dunes and mounds to look down on play.
Report the bairn July 21, 2015 4:31 PM BST
TRUMP Turnberry is a great course for viewing and playing. cheers.
Report Mr Eboue July 21, 2015 6:03 PM BST
I've been to St Andrews - never again. Truly awful for the spectator.

Troon on the other hand is superb. You can get up close around most tee boxes, fairways and greens. It was one of the best days sport I've ever been to.
Report Can't Catch Me July 21, 2015 6:27 PM BST
Agree with radgepot. Birkdale is excellent... And only an extra year to wait Stellar!
Report Clerkmore July 21, 2015 7:22 PM BST
I know somebody whose house is almost on the course in Royal Troon!
Report STELLAR MANIPULATOR July 21, 2015 9:58 PM BST
Great stuff - thanks for all the replies . I used to love attending the Irish Open as a youngster when it was played at links courses like Portmarnock and Royal Dublin but as I discovered recently ( Royal County Down ) not all links courses set up great for spectators , heartened to hear good reviews for Troon and Birkdale - both very accessible by air and sea from the Emerald Isle , now if only the R and A would take up Peter Alliss's suggestion and drop admission prices as the sterling / euro conversion is starting to hurt !
Report Swardean July 23, 2017 9:26 AM BST
I went to Birkdale on Friday, I can only agree with the above.   Superb for viewing as the course is quite tight, plenty of stands, almost every green has dunes around , excellently organised, and despite busy crowds, you never felt overcrowded.  Plenty of toilets, never queued for a pint, and Southport not a bad place for a few drinks.
Report sewter lives again July 23, 2017 6:52 PM BST
Went on Saturday had a great time.
Agree with everything Swardean has written.
Organization was brilliant.
Report loui July 29, 2017 11:29 AM BST
Went to Birkdale on Saturday too. Great day up and down hills all day and a bit of night too. Some good vantage points to be found everywhere, fell down one. Atmosphere great too.
Report Knight Rider July 30, 2017 4:38 PM BST
Best advice is to follow some lesser-known players.  90% of people go there wanting to see Rory etc so you will be fighting for a good view all day with him.

At Muirfield I watched Spieth (then only 19), Henley and Fitzpatrick for 18 holes with a gallery of about 20 people, most of whom were Fitzpatrick's family.  If you know your golf then it's not hard to pick out some future stars and the way you can get up close to them is like no other sport.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 15, 2019 3:47 PM BST
LAHINCH was great.....What can we expect in PORTRUSH ?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com