Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Vubiant
21 Jul 15 10:18
| Topic/replies: 7,157 | Blogger: Vubiant's blog
It seems there was a record pot of over £ 6,000,000 this year.
Does anyone know the breakdown of how this is generated ?
Pause Switch to Standard View Prizemoney for The Open
Show More
Report xmoneyx July 21, 2015 10:26 AM BST
http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2015/tournamentid=2015054/le...
Report Vubiant July 21, 2015 11:48 AM BST
Thanks for link -but that's not what I had in mind. What I was asking about was where does the 6 million actually come from ?
I tried googling some phrases but no luck.
It's clear enough that gate receipts and merchandising are big contributors but these can vary from year to year so I was wondering if there were other sources of income or what the permanent funding model might be . How big a factor is tv rights ?
I read an article which showed that prize money levels for golf's big tournaments are becoming stratospheric. How close we might be to some kind of rational limit is indeed a moot point.
Report xmoneyx July 21, 2015 11:53 AM BST
hence bbc losing open golf
Report gentlemanjohn July 21, 2015 2:03 PM BST
TV rights i guess would be a 90% factor, same as in nearly any sport that generates huge revenue. Sky are paying £15m a year or thereabouts, then add in what Fox or NBC pays in the US and tv stations in the Far East and Australia, Europe...radio rights, internet etc etc R&A annual turnover is in the range of £60-70m. It probably has about that much again squirrelled away in bank accounts, expect prize money fund to be increased 20-25% over the next few years when the Sky loot kicks in.
Report gentlemanjohn July 21, 2015 2:10 PM BST
Actually that 90% figure a bit high. Gate receipts alone would probably contribute a large slice of that revenue, if you consider somewhere in region of 200,000 attend an Open Championship and pay on average, at a guess, 60 quid a head - that's 12m alone. That doesn't include corporate hospitality, merchandise sales, practice round entry fees so the overall take would be far higher.
Report xmoneyx July 21, 2015 2:50 PM BST
The Open is my fav sporting venue all year

my worry is it becomes like formula 1,cricket
Report Vubiant July 21, 2015 3:33 PM BST
You mean like speed golf ?Shocked
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 13, 2016 1:55 AM BST
An 'Orish' Lad is Captain of the R&A this year, Gavin Caldwell (Portmarnock GC) - the money is in safe hands.
Report xmoneyx July 13, 2016 6:03 AM BST
£80 entrance fee Sad
Report Can't Catch Me July 13, 2016 6:42 AM BST
You don't think that's good value xmoneyx? £80 for potentially 13 hours of top class sport?

I used to go every day, every year and it was about £65 in the late 90's when I started going regularly. I think it's still been kept to a very reasonable price compared to other sports.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 15, 2019 4:10 PM BST
Is it really SOLD OUT this year...... or is there some late tickets sales ?
Report Total Bosman July 15, 2019 4:19 PM BST
Why does this question need to be added to a 4 year old thread about something else?  Post as much as you want to on a single relevant thread but randomly bumping lots of old threads is presumably what lead to people complaining when you were doing it for the Masters.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com