Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Canaletto .
09 Aug 14 03:54
| Topic/replies: 4,479 | Blogger: Canaletto .'s blog
?
Pause Switch to Standard View Is Lee Westwood the biggest bottler...
Show More
Report teetonmill August 9, 2014 5:53 AM BST
Second only to Sergio!
Report DAN1974 August 9, 2014 7:11 AM BST
he just cant putt, its as simple as that.
Report vegasdreams August 9, 2014 7:44 AM BST
I wonder if u have ever even glanced at his career? or maybe just heard the talk over the last couple of years.
I have and he aint no bottler, he aint a kid u know 41 and already had the glory days of his career and a bleedin good one at that,
go take a look at his record early 2000s, if u do and stil think he's "a bottler" then fair play, but from what I see thru his career he's finished out tournaments very well in general, it's the major non win which skews peoples views.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 9, 2014 8:29 AM BST
finished out tournaments very well? I can think of countless events he has tossed away.

Westwood has had a good career but never quite got it done in the big ones.

He has never won a major, wgc, players or european pga. In fact he has only two pga tour wins.
Report vegasdreams August 9, 2014 8:31 AM BST
25 wins - yep born bottler

bottlers lose it mainly in the final round right? - of the 23 wins only 3 final rounds were in the 70s? three!! two 70s and a 71.

The most over-used word in golf "bottler" - doesn't sound much like it to me!! so he hasent cracked america, bah so fook, that should'nt take away from his acheivments, True English sporting hero , and conducted himself how i want our country to be seen, ALOT could learn from him.
Report vegasdreams August 9, 2014 8:42 AM BST
Mighty! upmost respect to u , u know your golf see that on here, yes sure he has regrets and has given a tourney or two away, but bottler? how many of these "countless times" were when he was on the european tour and it maybe a few times but i think this phrase u use is a tad dramatic?!?
Report aberdonia August 9, 2014 9:46 AM BST
he did miss one shortish putt last night but it was not his putting that led to the debacle last night, it was getting out of position from the tee.

Westwood always does this, plays stellar for 13 or 14 holes followed by a few holes where he goes walkabout.
Report trebor August 9, 2014 10:51 AM BST
Can't agree that bottler, choker or took the gas are the most overused words in golf, far as I am concerned it is the only thing that matters.

It is also not just confined to the final round, players bottle it because of a fear of failing, making the cut is the first aim for some players, take Rose at the start of his career.
Every club in the country will have players who shoot fantastic scores in medals, come the club championship they shoot their highest score of the year, they never got near to contending at the business end of things yet the pressure still got them, as it will the next year. I will tell you when that player might win, the year he enters with bad form, takes a whole lot of pressure off him and he might just get into contention.

We are told Tiger is hitting it great in practice ground, he looks a bag of nerves on the course and again it's not because he has been close to winning, sure he has had problems this year, but as much as anything I am thinking about the majors the last 5 years or so, they are the ones that really matter to him.
Report gmt August 9, 2014 12:01 PM BST
Have said it on here, percentage golf is what Lee plays and will he regret it when he retires with the same feeling as Monty had, undrachieved. He has the game to be daring and if he had he would have won one by now!
Report xmoneyx August 9, 2014 12:23 PM BST
might end up playing a 2-ball Monty Sunday

Who bottles it Excited
Report crepello August 9, 2014 12:25 PM BST
Love the guy - it would be great to see him land a major but it seems doubtful - last night was an opportunity to stamp his undoubted class on this event - everything went well until that poor iron shot that missed a fairway over 30 yards wide - he followed that with a poor decision and less than an hour later was sitting 5 behind Rory with plenty of others ahead of him ...

Has won 40 events worldwide - played in the last 8 Ryder Cups - been World No 1 - Golfer of the Year on several occasions etc etc and we have people on here calling him a bottler - do me a favour .....the guy is a credit to the great game that is golf ....
Report xmoneyx August 9, 2014 12:29 PM BST
should be major bottler?

he was unlucky open when cink won
Report frames August 9, 2014 12:34 PM BST
Well if he plays percentage golf what on earth was that 2nd shot he played on 13 ? Chip out ,bogey at worst or try the miracle shot.
Report gmt August 9, 2014 12:39 PM BST
Thats the point frames ! The tee shot was a percentage play, played a 3 iron instead of a wood? And he paid for it, chances are if he had rattled a driver down there and found a problem he would at least have been close enough to have a recovery chance!
Report dlarssonf August 9, 2014 12:52 PM BST
xmoneyx    09 Aug 14 12:29 
should be major bottler?

he was unlucky open when cink won

He completely bottled this one, people say his putting goes , he was the best tee to green in the masters the year Phil won it, came to round four and he couldn't hit a fairway.  For me at the top level he is a complete bottler
Report NORTH BERWICK August 9, 2014 1:16 PM BST
Tee to green he is as good as virtually anyone. His chipping and putting is very poor relative to the other top players. He looks really stiff when he chips from just off the green. His long game is awesome though.
Report aberdonia August 9, 2014 1:32 PM BST
He was not unlucky in that open, he was 1 clear, in charge, when he airmailed a par 3 green.

h
Report dlarssonf August 9, 2014 1:52 PM BST
Also on the 16th middle of fairway in that open , 8 iron in hand and put it into a shrub
Report vegasdreams August 9, 2014 1:56 PM BST
i think people forget at times - GOLF'S BLEEDIN HARD HARD FOOKING HARD!!!

Pro's miss shots, happens 100's of times a day, it does not mean there bottles gone, it normally means - he played a bad shot!!
Report dlarssonf August 9, 2014 2:00 PM BST
No it means he is an exceptional golfer like a lot of professionals but at that level what separates him from been a winner is without question his bottle
Report vegasdreams August 9, 2014 2:10 PM BST
seperates from being a winner????

he's won 25 - the 8th highest tally for a european in HISTORY!!!!

FEK ME -i'd hate to work for u lads with standards so frigging demanding!!!
Report frames August 9, 2014 2:12 PM BST
The shot i remember that day was his birdie putt on 18.He needed to make it to catch Watson who was in the middle of the fairway behind him.At a guess it was 40ft , don't be short,don't be short.He wasn't ,it sailed 20ft past ,missed the return and with that missed his place in the playoff.
Not saying that was down to bottle ,just what I remembered about the day.
Report Canaletto . August 9, 2014 2:18 PM BST
Great that he wins in Malaysia and South Africa....great....who cares?

Majors, all about majors and he has been up there with the rest of them and then **** his pants when he realised he was in the mix.

Compare his bottle to Rory's when it matters.
Report gmt August 9, 2014 2:21 PM BST
Vegas the reason we are demanding on this thread is because we are talking about who has the temperament to handle the pressure and win a major. Everyone likes Lee Westwood but unfortunately from all known evidence he doesn't have the nerve when it matters. And sorry most of his wins are from when he was very young and really attacked courses, that's all gone now and he concentrates on keeping up the rankings and earning a lot of money, deep down he knows it would have to be a major that really went his way if he was to pull it off! Too many payers are better than him basically!
Report dlarssonf August 9, 2014 2:24 PM BST
vegasdreams    09 Aug 14 14:10 
seperates from being a winner????

he's won 25 - the 8th highest tally for a european in HISTORY!!!!

FEK ME -i'd hate to work for u lads with standards so frigging demanding!!!

Yes brilliant to the likes of you and me.... he is a pro golfer so is judged by different standards.  He would swap all that for one major, never won any of the biggest titles
Report Canaletto . August 9, 2014 2:25 PM BST
I can't blame the lad. Who wouldn't want to earn millions yet still be a loser?
Report vegasdreams August 9, 2014 2:26 PM BST
sadly gmt - the thread is quite a bit away from being an informed discussion about who has the temprement!!

it is - someone's done there money and wants to slate the golfer thread
Report Mighty Whites 2008 August 9, 2014 2:26 PM BST
the open at turnberry in 2009 he bogeyed 3 of the last four to lose by one.

He should have won the US open in 2008.

His final round at last years open was a shocker.

He has won on the European tour plenty of times but it is a level below the PGA Tour where he has won only twice and one of them garrigus gave him.

Ive seen him chuck a few away in europe. He is a good golfer but doesn't quite have it at the highest level.In the late 2000s he was the best tee to green but still didn't get it done in the big ones.
Report dlarssonf August 9, 2014 2:30 PM BST
vegasdreams    09 Aug 14 14:26 
sadly gmt - the thread is quite a bit away from being an informed discussion about who has the temprement!!

it is - someone's done there money and wants to slate the golfer thread

yes it is a discussion about his temperament , yet it's you who seems to think otherwise. Personally Westwood has never cost me any money but I think he is by far the biggest bottler in the game.  My opinion , there is others but he is the clear winner for me.
Report gmt August 9, 2014 2:30 PM BST
Taking into consideration that Lee Westwood is one of the good guys in golf I think Vegas is right, points been made now his nerve is in doubt for the majors but he is too old to change that and he doesn't deserve to be run down that's for sure.
Report Canaletto . August 9, 2014 2:31 PM BST
Vegas, I think there have been fairly compelling arguments put forward myself.

Let's conclude the thread by saying he is a nice lad, great tee to green but when it really matters in the majors he has to be up there as the golfing worlds greatest ever choker?
Report vegasdreams August 9, 2014 2:33 PM BST
lol - happy to conclude but not under such a statement - lets say we agree to disagree lol Happy

good luck
Report Canaletto . August 9, 2014 2:36 PM BST
You too. Clearly I had Westy in my team and he isn't out of it yet. My only other two in the running are Wiesberger who I backed after round one and Oosty who I had from the off. The rest just "bottled" it! Laugh
Report vegasdreams August 9, 2014 2:38 PM BST

Aug 9, 2014 -- 8:30AM, dlarssonf wrote:

vegasdreams    09 Aug 14 14:26  sadly gmt - the thread is quite a bit away from being an informed discussion about who has the temprement!!it is - someone's done there money and wants to slate the golfer threadyes it is a discussion about his temperament , yet it's you who seems to think otherwise. Personally Westwood has never cost me any money but I think he is by far the biggest bottler in the game.  My opinion , there is others but he is the clear winner for me.

lol u keep quoting me- not sure why but the thread u seem to think was a "dicussion" was a header saying worst in the word!! i'm not sure what discussion u saw before i posted the third message???

Report dlarssonf August 9, 2014 2:44 PM BST
Because you said it wasn't a discussion when it clearly is but just tally with what you believe.  I am fine with agreeing to disagreeGrin
Report dlarssonf August 9, 2014 2:44 PM BST
* doesn't
Report vegasdreams August 9, 2014 2:48 PM BST
:)

p.s - get on westy,he's good for this one Wink
Report dlarssonf August 9, 2014 2:55 PM BST
LaughLaughLaugh thanks for the tip vegasWink
Report Canaletto . August 9, 2014 2:57 PM BST
LaughLaughLaugh
Report charwell. August 9, 2014 10:32 PM BST
I've followed LW to the well and back and my pocket tells you in the majors he has choked big time. His short game under the most severe of pressure is shockingly bad. His short putting is like an 18 handicapper under the gun.

Yet he can putt. Whenever he is out of a major tournament his putting on the final day as he posts a 65 matches his tee to green game!
Report vegasdreams August 9, 2014 10:41 PM BST
CHARWELL!!

is it you, at Duffs bar, sat in room with pool table? u love your local team big style?

if not, fair play, each to there own, beauty of opinions - good luck.
Report charwell. August 10, 2014 12:16 AM BST
Not me!
Report Silver Medal Winnder August 10, 2014 12:57 AM BST
Yes - right up there in the Hall of Shame with Sergio, Monty and Jason Day

Serial losers at the highest level. All mighty fine players but ultimately not in the very elite.

Interestingly, all struggled with the putter most of their careers yet hit the ball beautifully from tee to green. Does show the emphasis on putting in the majors.

Makes sense seeing as the most dominant golfer in the modern era (Mr Woods) was rock solid from under 10 feet in his pomp. All about rolling the rock.
Report therhino August 10, 2014 2:26 AM BST
List of golfers who have been world number 1 and how many majors they have won:

Bernard Langer 2
Seve 5
Norman 2
Faldo 6
Woosnam 1
Couples 1
Price 3
Lehman 1
Els 4
Duval 1
Vijay 3
Westwood 0
Kaymer 2
Donald 0
Rory 3
Adam 1

What is the difference between Lee and the rest? Without doubt, nerve. Throw in the fact he has only 2 PGA Tour titles and yes one was an absolute gift, and what you have is a Grade A bottler. Great player yes, but an even greater bottler.
Report stewardsenquirey August 10, 2014 2:52 AM BST
This is a Major,not some muggy Chinese Open Westy can stroll home on.Not a choker,just unable to beat Good Golfers!!
Report ellis August 10, 2014 1:20 PM BST
short game under pressure is dire.couple of poor
decisions  as well.par 5 with 2 fairways,drives
down the left to make it in 2 then decdes to
lay up Shocked.then when he hits 3 iron into rough
on next hole,goes for green makes 6 Crazy
Report sideshowbob August 10, 2014 1:36 PM BST
hes just not good enough. he flukes a few long putts like everybody does, but you cant rely on that to happen 4 days in a row. for him to win a major, he pretty much needs that to happen.
you could argue hes done very well for the ability he has.

he should have won one or two back in the days when you could make loads of mistakes and win, but then tiger came along and others have come along who are better than the likes of westwood. he shouldnt really be able to compete with them.
Report vegasdreams August 10, 2014 1:50 PM BST
It was me that stirred the pot on this one, so i refer u to my 20.47 post from the moving day thread last night!

vegasdreams • August 9, 2014 8:47 PM BST
stooopid bottler westy!!!
  LaughShockedLaugh
Report geordie1956 August 10, 2014 11:30 PM BST
All pretty much been said - I don't think he bottles it as he has won a number of titles (30 to 40) - more than many - he simply cannot chip or putt well enough over 4 days in the majors which of course tests all of your game - usually in the majors the scores aren't that much under par so it is the ability to drop the crucial  putts and to scrap around the greens - the real top players have that indescribable ability under pressure
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com