Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mr Spock
18 Jul 14 18:33
| Topic/replies: 25,495 | Blogger: Mr Spock's blog
Looks like he'll make the cut, not bad for a 64 year old.
Show More
Report crystalhunt July 18, 2014 6:57 PM BST
One of the best of all time. Incredible man and modest with it.
Report gentlemanjohn July 18, 2014 7:01 PM BST
Thought he could only do it on links but had a great finish at the Greenbrier a couple of weeks ago, imagine if he could putt like he once did, he'd still be winning titles!
Report A_T July 18, 2014 7:22 PM BST
5 Opens - absolutely mind-blowing
Report Fenway July 18, 2014 9:58 PM BST
Phenomenal performance over a course measuring over 7,300 yards. Legend.
Report Platini July 19, 2014 10:15 AM BST
Fantastic player and an absolute legend of a man.
Report sixtwosix July 19, 2014 10:24 AM BST
Always my favourite player . No modern player's record comes close to this gentleman.

From winning in 77 through to having a putt to win at the age of 59 and now making the cut on the same score as youknowwho .
Report xmoneyx July 19, 2014 10:43 AM BST
an he's not a huge guy either
Report Mr Spock July 19, 2014 10:59 AM BST
Yes be in my top 10 sportsman to want to meet, had some nice touches in the 80's with him and unbelievable he can still play the game to a decent standard at this age (just compare his score to Sandy Lyle's +22 who is nearly 10 years younger).
Report Mr Spock July 20, 2014 12:38 PM BST
Finished today with a 68, fantastic.
Report xmoneyx July 20, 2014 12:40 PM BST
I'm going St. Andrews next year
Report Mr Spock July 20, 2014 12:41 PM BST
Will that be his last time as an exempt player?
Report xmoneyx July 20, 2014 12:42 PM BST
extended his exemption to next year
Report Mr Spock July 20, 2014 12:44 PM BST
Be a tear in the eye.....
Report knot in wood July 20, 2014 12:52 PM BST
if i can make time will try and get down to porthcawl and watch him at the seniors open.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 20, 2014 12:55 PM BST
Platini     19 Jul 14 10:15 
Fantastic player and an absolute legend of a man.

Was a heavy drinker, his wife divorced him, he nicked another players wife, his kids ignore him and want nothing to do with him.

Top bloke.
Report patches July 20, 2014 12:55 PM BST
got a good story about tom , think it was the 83 open at birkdale I went on the Tuesday to the practice day ( not many went to practice days all those years ago ) , I was stood on my own behind a roped fairway watching Watson and Nicklaus playing stadler and wadkins , after following for a couple of holes was invited by his caddy ( alfie fyldes ) to join them , walked the full 18 talking to all four of them , turns out they were playing for 500 dollars and 50 dollar birdies , after the round they brought a drink out for me from the clubhouse and tom gave me a couple of momento's including his chart on how he played the course , wish I had it now prob worth a right few quid , stadler was leading I think after round 1 and tom won , also backed him with ladcrooks at 8/1.
Report Mr Spock July 20, 2014 12:58 PM BST
Mighty Whites, he who is without sin cast the first stone....
Report vegasdreams July 20, 2014 1:00 PM BST
mighty - i think u talk alot of sense but wat the fook has any of that got to do with him being a legend of the game? he is and always will be - we have all lived a personel life of up's and downs.
Report knot in wood July 20, 2014 1:00 PM BST
£30 a day entry for the seniors open. Shocked
Report gentlemanjohn July 20, 2014 1:08 PM BST
Nobodys perfect obviously or they would be the biggest bore on the planet...my biggest beef against Watson was the time he complained about one of the Masters commentators and basically got him sacked from his job, cant remember exact details but didnt cover himself in glory.

The good far outweighs the bad however. My fav Watson moment was when play was halted at St Andrews in 2010 and as the players started moaning and bolted for the locker room, Watson just hung around the first tee laughing and shooting the breeze with spectators, nothing forced about it, just a guy happy to be there and no airs or graces about him. All in all a truly great player and human being
Report xmoneyx July 20, 2014 1:10 PM BST
commentator said Augusta greens were like bikini wax
Report gentlemanjohn July 20, 2014 1:21 PM BST
That could have been it money...anyway tom was watching at home on tv i think and rang in to the augusta stasi to complain....still cant quite get over that one to be honest
Report xmoneyx July 20, 2014 1:25 PM BST
I wonder if mighty white has anything on Nicklaus Excited
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 20, 2014 1:32 PM BST
mighty - i think u talk alot of sense but wat the fook has any of that got to do with him being a legend of the game

he said a legend of a man not the game. Personally i cant stand the bloke a hypocrite of the highest order. Getting McCord banned from the Masters sums up the bloke.

For me he is a good golfer who has embellished his reputation with a few good knocks on links courses later in his career. He wouldn't be in my all time top 10.
Report xmoneyx July 20, 2014 1:37 PM BST
your deluded whites
Report Mr Spock July 20, 2014 1:39 PM BST
Mighty while you might not like him as a man, 9 major wins make him more than 'a good golfer who has embellished his reputation with a few good knocks on links courses'FFS.
Report Mr Spock July 20, 2014 1:40 PM BST
Sorry make that 8, but also 39 PGA tour wins.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 July 20, 2014 1:46 PM BST
Mickleson has more PGA tour wins than watson.

For me he isn't one of the all time greats never managed the career grand slam. A great links player but when you take in the full golfing picture wouldn't make my all time top 10.
Report xmoneyx July 20, 2014 1:49 PM BST
digging a hole whites
Report gmt July 20, 2014 2:22 PM BST
Nice story Patches, envy you, sounds a great day and nice memory!
Report the bloob July 20, 2014 10:45 PM BST
Watson won his last major in 1983, by my reconing he was 33 then, not a bad effort winning 8 majors by 33. My earliest memory of televised golf was the Open in 1984, I was 10 at the time. Watson came 2nd that year and I can't ever remember him being a top golfer after that. A very short career at the top really, I agree that he probably wouldn't make a top 10. Jones, Hagen, Snead, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Woods all clearly better, and a fair few others to be considered after that
Report donny osmond July 20, 2014 10:57 PM BST
not many better links golfers ever than tom

the 1977 open remains one of my favourite sports events i was lucky enough to see ( on tv)

thats why we bother to watch these guys

must be hard living out of a suitcase and travelling from hotel to hotel
Report Can't Catch Me July 23, 2014 10:46 PM BST
Looks value at 20/1 this week. Apparently it's very, very tough at Porthcawl and the pro's will be delighted with level par if it blows at all. Could suit auld Tom!
Report sofiakenny July 23, 2014 11:02 PM BST
I agree with mighty whites..pious beyond belief when commenting on Tigers infidelities ..any man who beats up his wife and then runs off with his coaches wife and has articles removed from the net cos of his selfish motives is beyond redemption..wonderful golfer poor human being imo.
Report sofiakenny July 23, 2014 11:06 PM BST
by the way he was not a heavy drinker..he was/is an alcoholic...part of the divorce deal was that Linda would not dish any dirt..the kids knew what was what though...
Report bazzar July 24, 2014 6:56 PM BST
What happened at Porthcawl today, anyone?
Unable to view the golf and info is totally lacking!!!
Report Can't Catch Me July 24, 2014 7:50 PM BST
Had a bad start, then played really well to get back to +1, then he seemed to be struggling with an injury. Was holding his back and didn't look happy for the last five or six holes.
Report Can't Catch Me July 24, 2014 7:51 PM BST
Either that , or he was leathered, and had been shagging one of his fellow players better half in the toilets at the hallway house.
Report a bitofinterest July 24, 2014 10:45 PM BST
I don't approve of that on the seniors tour Blush
Report sofiakenny July 25, 2014 12:59 AM BST
But ok on regular tour?..Shocked
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 15, 2019 4:49 PM BST
Word on the street is Tom's in Ireland this week apparently...

Wonder if he's playing The Seniors Open at Royal Lytham & St Annes July 25th/28th.

Darren Clarke, who turns 50 in August 2018, and fellow former Major Champions Michael Campbell, Paul Lawrie and Retief Goosen will be in line to make their Senior Open debuts as they turn 50 in 2019.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan July 24, 2019 2:42 PM BST
Yip, maybe his last ?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com