Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg
14 Dec 09 16:49
| Topic/replies: 7,725 | Blogger: Sir Denis Eton-Hogg's blog
Seve was a true champion who had charisma, personality, humour and warmth and wore his heart on his sleeve. You only have to look at the old footage they showed on SPOTY to see how things have changed. Back in the day the crowd was practically a part of the game - Seve was one of them and Seve inspired the crowd and vice versa.

And then you have the bad-tempered charmless golf-robot called Tiger Woods. A man pathologically incapable of being anything less than 100% selfish - you only have to look at the way he treats the Ryder Cup and the way he treats his wife. Surrounded by bodyguards, the only interaction he makes with the people is when he throws a club and swears.

It says a lot about the modern world that people are so lacking in humanity and character nowadays that all they are interested in is who is the best golfer, nothing else. Winning these days is everything, at any cost. Sad but true. To have followed Seve around 18 holes of sunbaked links 30 years ago must have been one of the great thrills in any sport.
Pause Switch to Standard View Seeing Seve last night made me...
Show More
Report double trouble December 14, 2009 5:02 PM GMT
This isnt the chit chat forum
Report frames December 14, 2009 5:03 PM GMT
Did he drop the Ryder Cup ?
Report Sir Denis Eton-Hogg December 14, 2009 5:19 PM GMT
i thought this was a forum for talking about golf. my mistake
Report blumoon1 December 14, 2009 5:22 PM GMT
you hit it on the head won his opens when there was no rough, hit it all over the shop when i used to watch, Tiger does to but he can hit irons in our opens , seve couldnt.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! December 14, 2009 6:52 PM GMT
Hes stilll
The Car park CHAMP

Was there when he wun his first OPEN

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
Report Bullwinkle December 14, 2009 7:02 PM GMT
Agree with everything you said Sir Dennis
Report saxon farm December 14, 2009 7:10 PM GMT
Lytham in '79 was certainly not a SUNBAKED LINKS.
It was very,very windy & at times rained horizontally.
Report par December 14, 2009 7:14 PM GMT
St Andrews on that immortal day was though !

Possibly the greatest moment in Open history.
Report espinjo December 14, 2009 7:41 PM GMT
sir dennis
at least now we know why he needs those bodyguards
Report -= coked up pansy =- December 14, 2009 8:34 PM GMT
I think Hogg is easily influenced by the media
Report Sir Denis Eton-Hogg December 14, 2009 8:37 PM GMT
er...what else have i got to go on?? i have not met either man
Report Sir Denis Eton-Hogg December 14, 2009 8:40 PM GMT
one other thought. Woods and Mickleson must be the only no.1 and no.2 who have hated each other's guts. Sad really
Report a bitofinterest December 14, 2009 8:43 PM GMT
what about faldo and errrrrr,anyone ?
Report Sir Denis Eton-Hogg December 14, 2009 8:50 PM GMT
professional rivalry? of course
hate each others guts? no
Report Kelly December 14, 2009 8:54 PM GMT
Phenomenal talent Seve . Saw him a lot , he always came to Ireland for the Carroll's Irish Open , great tussles with Bernhard .

Best upper and downer anyone will ever see .
Report blanco December 14, 2009 10:58 PM GMT
I followed Seve round the links of Portmarnock and Royal Dublin many's the time and he could be as bad tempered as any golfer and was in fact similar enough to Monty at times.
I was a huge fan of his but to paint him as this golfing angel while at the same time saying that Woods is a bad tempered charmless robot takes the biscuit.
Report Vubiant December 14, 2009 11:07 PM GMT
Excellent opening post from Sir D E-H.
Report Sir Denis Eton-Hogg December 14, 2009 11:16 PM GMT
in hindsight i think i've been too harsh on Tiger in making a purely personal argument. I guess he's a product of his times and it is a tad unfair to lay all the blame on him
Report Sir Denis Eton-Hogg December 14, 2009 11:42 PM GMT
too see how the world and golf has changed u only have to look at Jack Nicklaus conceding that crucial putt in the ryder cup to tony jackin

"i didnt think u'd miss it but i didnt want to give u the opportunity to do so"

christ, it seems like a million years ago....
Report Chosen® December 15, 2009 12:20 AM GMT
It should also be remembered that Seve routinely shook the hand of apartheid for a quick buck during the eighties. Only people who put themselves before morals did that. In that respect Seve and Woods have a lot in common.

Nobody is perfect, but to have the ability to reflect on our inherent selfishness is fundamental to personal growth. As far as I know Seve has never expressed any regret for taking the money of an evil and oppressive regime. Tiger, loathsome though I have found his personality for many years, has at least attempted contrition.

Tiger needs to be a man now and face the media.
Report Jonnnytruant. December 15, 2009 2:04 AM GMT
Some very interesting points, and yes SPOTY footage was very moving. I love Seve... I used to pretend to be him or Jose when I was on the range after school.

One of the most interesting points you make re Tiger though is that today's golfers aren't part of the crowd, the way that Seve etc used to be. Whilst this is true, the crowds themselves have changed beyond recognition, so to compare the two seems contrite. Tiger isn't responsible for this shift, though some PR men at Nike are responsible for letting him figure head it to it's "getinthemutha**inhole" nadir.

There's one other factor here that makes it really impossible to judge this against anything pre 1995 is the fact that players like Seve, Faldo, etc etc never ever had to deal with the modern plague that is 'celebrity'. How any individual deals with what a Beckham or Woods has to go through and still performs at the top level I have no idea.

Tiger screwed up and that's his to deal with, but that doesn't make him any less of a great golfer physically, I'm sure it does spiritually: golf being the medium through which my grandfather taught me how to conduct yourself in life. But I do not hold with this vilification of him and I do not think he is a ghastly person for what he has done.
Report patches December 15, 2009 8:03 AM GMT
Interesting first post but i think tom watson is a better example of what your looking for.
Report frames December 15, 2009 10:33 AM GMT
Blanco`s is the best post on this thread.They did a piece on Seve during this years Open ,spoke to one of his caddies ,well known but his name escapes me who said how difficult a job it was carrying Seve`s bag ,they split the year he won one of his Opens.Seve even said himself he knew he was difficult ,never wrong.All the greats/genius`s have faults ,can`t be helped.
Report el gato December 15, 2009 10:39 AM GMT
I followed Seve round the links of Portmarnock and Royal Dublin many's the time and he could be as bad tempered as any golfer and was in fact similar enough to Monty at times.
I was a huge fan of his but to paint him as this golfing angel while at the same time saying that Woods is a bad tempered charmless robot takes the biscuit.

Big fan as well but followed him at Ryder Cup in Oak Hill in 95....treatment of Lehman in singles was disgraceful, wasnt able to beat him with his golf so tried everything and anything else......great player, charismatic but like lots of them a right cranky fcuker when he wasnt playing well
Report sofiakenny December 15, 2009 12:07 PM GMT
funny how short our memories are....A certain Watson fellow was an alkie abused his lovely wife and ran off with his best mates wife!!!.....no one gave a jott.
Report Back High Lay Low December 15, 2009 12:09 PM GMT
Aren't you thinking of Tammy Wynette's husband?
Report espinjo December 15, 2009 12:18 PM GMT
at least never watson walked around spitting from disgust every time he made an error
seve was very temperamental but in a mush more pleasant way than woods imho
Report Sir Denis Eton-Hogg December 15, 2009 12:20 PM GMT
tbf i never said seve was a saint, just that he had personality and charisma - something tiger is much lacking
Report hacker December 15, 2009 1:49 PM GMT
Are you taking the p.ss.. Seve has**ed more women than Tiger can even dream about and yes.. while he was married...
Report Sir Denis Eton-Hogg December 15, 2009 1:52 PM GMT
yeah but thats different
Report Mr Redwood December 15, 2009 5:00 PM GMT
bother tiger and seve are poor excuses of real men.....they should all follow the lead of a true gent!!!!!....big john daly!!!!!!!
Report par December 15, 2009 5:34 PM GMT
If we are looking for the family man who has always behaved imppeccably then I would put forward Bernhard Langer.
Report Sir Denis Eton-Hogg December 15, 2009 6:26 PM GMT
he's dull as ditchwater.
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It December 15, 2009 6:43 PM GMT
Phil Mick?
Report ReaseHeath December 15, 2009 8:29 PM GMT
Seve smiles a lot even today - yeah, he's temperamental with it - he also has some comedy value.

Woods seems bloody miserable most of the time to me.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com