Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
fading
14 Dec 09 19:56
| Topic/replies: 705 | Blogger: fading's blog
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on Maybin.

I watched a bit of the Dunhill final round yesterday and every time he was on camera he seemed to be playing his approaches from the rough, and more often than not was having to scramble for pars (which he seems very adept at, very good short game it would seem).

However, he obviously must have hit a decent number of greens in order to be in contention come the final round, so it leaves me wondering what to make of him as a player. A winner waiting to happen, or a player who consistently struggles on a Sunday?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 19
By:
Luciano Becchio
When: 14 Dec 09 20:46
was poor in Czech Open for me when in with a great chance of winning

would say his best chance would be coming from behind, but i recall he did that early last yr when Kang won, came from way off pace to still bottle it on the par 5 last

jusry still open
By:
double trouble
When: 14 Dec 09 21:41
Hi fading, for what its worth, my opinion is that he's far too short to consider this week. Hopefully he'll improve in the mix but for now he's very flakey imo. I can very well remember the mess he made of 18 behind Kang and I seem to recall him being pedestrian in Italy as well...

How can he be about the same price as Ross McGowan? Very odd.
By:
Gary Binosh
When: 14 Dec 09 21:52
^^ yeah dont understand that, Ross Clearly proving himself this season

Maybin, come across as a guy wholl play well 1/4 weeks and miss the cut on the other 3, but will contend when he gets it right, still not good enough to win imo
By:
always lay off
When: 14 Dec 09 22:27
absolutely right dt..price is astonishing..i know hes got the combination of current form from last week and course form from last year here..but find it incredible he's shorter than so many actual winners like bourdy,kingston,magrane..etc..even pablo,last weeks winner, a 2 time champ now, is twice his price at 50's.. for your ref..last year i noted he held up pretty well to the pressure of contending for his first title,while at the same time not actually being brave enough to take it by the horns ..think he parred mayb the last 9 or 10 holes..with like a 6-8 footer on the last to win..a putt that he basically just lagged to the hole..so def a slightly weak finish when faced with a clear opportunity to win...played a few good tourneys since and as he's still relatively new to the tour, think he has potential to progress to being a winner,but think the jurys obviously still out on his ability to find the mental strength to be more aggressive down the stretch under pressure...tbh, given all that,i admit he was one of the 3 or 4 i was looking to get involved with..but i was expecting around 40's plus...which even given the weak field i think is about right...so gotta leave him,as unless he's leading after round one his price aint gonna move much..,but gl..
By:
THE SPINNER
When: 14 Dec 09 22:45
out tonight :) iil have a good look tommorrow and give my opinion for what its worth
By:
golfnut
When: 14 Dec 09 23:04
Thoughtful post Fading.......Maybin is in my opinion going to be quite a name this season,he was the first guy that i put into my Betfair Race to Dubai league,not because he will win the race but he is i think ready to make quite an impact on the Euro tour....
I backed him last weekend and the bogey on the 13th i think it was on Sunday put him just about out of it.........

I remember in the SA open last year when Sterne beat him in the play off he came back level par on the back nine wherby Sterne i think was 4 or 5 under, he certanly played better golf throughout that tourny than Westwood Goose,Ernie or Rory....

I think thats the reason for the price at the moment,if there is a no value price i think its Sternes!..there is no doubt Maybin will win soon,i am on him for sure in the SA open....
By:
double trouble
When: 14 Dec 09 23:26
LOL, you are indeed a golf nut
By:
golfnut
When: 14 Dec 09 23:32
he he nice one...then lay me 40/1 for the SA open DT.....
By:
golfnut
When: 14 Dec 09 23:37
then i will put £100 on it....its what Golfnuts do.....
By:
double trouble
When: 14 Dec 09 23:39
That would be almost the right price imo. Youve surprised me twice...Wanting to back Maybin at such a short price AND thinking Sternes a poor price. I cant see how on earth he could be any bigger than he is now...14's would have been fair imo. But then thats what its all about..opinions.
By:
always lay off
When: 14 Dec 09 23:48
im with u dt..thought exactly the same about his views on sterne,well nearly, prob 16's is fair...just that im not one to point it out if i think someones naive!!.
By:
golfnut
When: 15 Dec 09 00:08
AlO...it was dt then "his" views....i am not looking for an argument here guys,i was just responding to Fadings post about Maybin was to "discuss"....like you said DT its opinion and thats all it is..... and in mine i think Maybin is value at 23s...its not naive AlO its a feel....i am far too old to be naive,gambler yes...naive no...i am happy that you are not the one to point it out.
By:
always lay off
When: 15 Dec 09 00:27
hey, golfnut..def dont want an arguement either..if thats your honest opinion, fair enough, but theres a lot on here who just say things to get a reaction and tbh,you saying "maybins' value" at 23's, seems a potential one!!..as think you'd struggle to find another to agree with that, well one that wasnt out for a wind up anyway..!!..well gl all the same.
By:
golfnut
When: 15 Dec 09 00:42
Yeah i understand that alo,i am not a "bookie" neither am i looking for a reaction,it was just that this Maybin post interested me as i have followed his progress quite closley over the past 2 years,not for gambling purposes but as an interest in the marvellous game that most in this forum seem to enjoy......in fact sometimes i dont even have a bet,its nice sometimes just to sit and watch Golf...good luck to you also,and dt......
By:
fading
When: 15 Dec 09 08:24
Thanks for the thoughts on this guys. I think he's one to watch for sure. Probably won't back him this week (just watch him win now!) but maybe one for the future.

I'm very much all about 'value' when it comes to golf betting, and I must say, I'm really struggling to find any this week. I don't know if that's because it's a relatively weak field and therefore all the prices are shorter than if there were 'big' names in the field.

Hmmmm...I shall have to seriously ponder my bets this week.
By:
double trouble
When: 15 Dec 09 10:42
Good luck to you also golfnut, have a good week.
By:
CUPRA
When: 15 Dec 09 13:50
He is another player, like Willett for example, that keeps flattering to deceive. Well spotted that his game 'chnages' when nearing the front and he looks far too dodgy. A good thing for him would be to play the lesser Tour and nab a couple of wins for confidence, like Eddy Moli or Colsearts (cert winner this season), both totally different players after 'outclassing' their Tour
By:
CUPRA
When: 15 Dec 09 13:51
and because of it, always hoorendously priced. Willett keeps going off at 33-1 and therebouts, an appalling price for someone really not sure how to win or play in the BIg League. It will come, but he is a season away from it.

Cue Danny winning the RTD
By:
hacker
When: 15 Dec 09 13:54
Have to agree with dt...i make his price 40`s at best and have layed him along with Charl..who does`t win enough to be priced at 12`s..gl to all.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com