Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
BunkerBoyJon
11 Nov 09 22:15
| Topic/replies: 11 | Blogger: BunkerBoyJon's blog
Just heard on the Golf Channel that he is ditching his 2010 european tour card for next season because of the demands to play more events to retain it.
I totaly understand that there is much more cash to be made on the PGA Tour but we are going through some tough economic times and im sure the European Tour could do with more high profile players playing each week to keep sponsors happy, after all it was the European Tour that helped Adam Scott kickstart his career...
Pause Switch to Standard View Adam Scott = Discrace
Show More
Report MMP November 11, 2009 10:21 PM GMT
The only thing that is a disgrace apart from this thread is your spelling..

D I S G R A C E

So, from that i think its a disgrace that the EURO boys, boycotted the Australian masters for the extra $$ in Hong Kong.

Both events are part of the EURO tour and both events are part of the Race To Dubai...
Report ReaseHeath November 11, 2009 10:25 PM GMT
^ so why are they scheduled for the same week then?
Report Mighty Whites 2008 November 11, 2009 10:27 PM GMT
MMP the aussie masters was only added at the last minute and most of the top players had made commitments.

As for Adam Scott it is upto him where played. The euro tour is a shadow of its former self. It wont belong until its back to running from march to october with few if any top stars. The PGA tour is where the best players play
Report MMP November 11, 2009 10:29 PM GMT
Blame the Euro Tour. The season ends at the end of November. They had to add in the Dubai World Championship, they ran out of weeks.

Same as Singapore open and the Match play the other week.
Report Gary Binosh November 11, 2009 10:30 PM GMT
McIlroy's going to the PGA tour next season, isnt he ?
Report BunkerBoyJon November 11, 2009 10:31 PM GMT
MMP why should the players travel to Aus? There are 3 million reasons why Tiger is teeing it up this week and thats why he is there... Not to support the Tour!!

Sorry for the poor spelling but id hate to see the Euopean Tour evaporate
Report ReaseHeath November 11, 2009 10:32 PM GMT
so it's the Euro Tour that's a disgrace and not the greedy players then?
Report MMP November 11, 2009 10:34 PM GMT
last minute as in? to the Race 2 Dubai? i don't think thats right. It was part of the Euro tour last year. its on the schedule of events that is put out at the beginning of the season.
Report BunkerBoyJon November 11, 2009 10:35 PM GMT
The European Tour are taking a gamble in asking players to play more events to prevent it's downfall... Players should understand and show some loyalty
Report Mighty Whites 2008 November 11, 2009 10:35 PM GMT
non of these events are actually in europe. The big problem is in the summer when there are few top events which attract top events. After the open the tour went to sweden, czech republic, had a week off and holland. These events had few if any players competing who will be anywhere near the ryder cup team
Report MMP November 11, 2009 10:39 PM GMT
At the end of the day, its all about money. Players chose honkers over Aus because of the prize money, and players choose the PGA tour over the Euro tour because of money and how / where they want to live / raise a family. If it was about loyalty, the Aussie players would stay at home and support the pretty much non existent Aussie tour with first prize being about $2000 aud :D
Report ReaseHeath November 11, 2009 10:41 PM GMT
think there were a couple of blank weeks in the summer too MW - at least one anyway (albeit due to sponsorship problems related to the recession) - makes it hard to understand why there are two tournaments this week.

From a betting perspective it's too much for me and I've opted out of the Aussie Masters - from a fan perspective, it's probably too much too - US fans will register Tiger is playing in Aus, follow the tournament in Florida and the UBS Hong Kong tourney will pass them by.

Poor scheduling.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 November 11, 2009 10:42 PM GMT
MMP the better the players the better the sponsers the better the prize money. Its a vicious circle. Im sure if Woods when globetrotting next year he could earn infinately more than he would on the pga tour. He plays the PGA tour because its the top level of golf. If Asian golf takes off in ten years time that could be the elite level
Report Mighty Whites 2008 November 11, 2009 10:43 PM GMT
rease neither of this weeks events or singapore were true euro tour events. Half the field were asian tour players. They have added the aus tournament to allow more people on the bubble for their cards to play
Report BunkerBoyJon November 11, 2009 10:55 PM GMT
Well lets see what these players do when PGA Tour cards are not that easy to hold onto anymore. Bet they will be begging for a European Tour when that happens (i can assure you it will happen too).
John Daily was out on his ass early this year... Where did he turn to? The European Tour
Report MMP November 11, 2009 10:56 PM GMT
Because he was banned from the PGA tour. If he didn't get caught DUI he would of been playing in the states. It was a marriage of convenience. I am sure he is being paid well to play in aus this summer.
Report ReaseHeath November 11, 2009 11:05 PM GMT
I see what you're saying MW - I'm not as up to speed on it as you - just strikes me as not particularly fan friendly - not easy for the casual fan to understand who's playing for what in terms of WR, RTD, Ryder Cup standings, money list and card retention.

S'pose you could argue that casual fan would n't be interested in all of those things anyway.
Report Eddie the eagle November 12, 2009 8:37 AM GMT
BBJ , do you also think it's a disgrace that world class footballers leave their home country and play for English clubs ?
Report espinjo November 12, 2009 8:39 AM GMT
only if their jocks imho
Report Eddie the eagle November 12, 2009 8:54 AM GMT
espinjo , look closer : BBJ , do you also think it's a disgrace that world class footballers leave their home country and play for English clubs ?
Report espinjo November 12, 2009 8:57 AM GMT
sir eddie. I think if you were born on the british isles you would quite quickly make my comment out to be a joke. A joke that also supports your excellent point sir.
Golf is a sport where you have to look for the greener grass sir.
Report Eddie the eagle November 12, 2009 9:14 AM GMT
Not sure if I got the point of your last post there. It's probably down to the fact that English isn't my mother language.
I understood that you were making a joke though and I was also trying to be funny in my reply to you.
Report espinjo November 12, 2009 9:21 AM GMT
well maybe your more british in heart than you like to image then sir ;-)
nice to see your fellow countryman back on main tour next season btw
Report Eddie the eagle November 12, 2009 9:32 AM GMT
Thank you , not many on here or anywhere else for that sake will know who this guy you are talking about are , so I guess your knowledge about golf is among the best.
We certainly need someone to step up on the male circuit , but I'm not sure if he really is good enough to be a contender. Hope I'm wrong here though..
Report MillionPoundPunter November 12, 2009 9:39 AM GMT
Rory McIlroy and Ian Poulter manage to commit to both tours. Don't think it's a golfing decision by Adam Scott, he is obviously distracted by the fury magnet (Ivanovich) and both will probably look to settle in the US together.
Report CUPRA November 12, 2009 10:19 AM GMT
Forget this tour and that tour. make it one worldwide tour, the best 100 players and thats it. Make a seperate Div II if you like, but get it to one massive event per week, sensible scheduling, all around the World. Thats a proper ranking system, and you wouldnt get farcical elements like 'if you dont play in Venezuela yo shouldnt be in the Ryder Cup' and all that. Cheers
Report chris_rogers30 November 12, 2009 11:22 AM GMT
Can't see Mickelson, KP, Billy Mayfair etc agreeing to 6 weeks away from home travelling from Sweden to Jo'burg to Hong Kong as part of a worldwide tour.

I don't have much problem with the way it is. And if Ivanovic was my Golddigga i think i'd be happy to spend a few extra weeks in the States to keep her happy.
Report espinjo November 12, 2009 2:42 PM GMT
so hows the rest of the Stalin family doing, cupra ?
Report CUPRA November 12, 2009 3:09 PM GMT
lol

Its such a bad idea? No 1000000-1 shots traipsing around for two days hitting 87 and then suddenly coming 3rd in the Russian Open to save their card. make it top 50 in 3 divisions
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com