Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rod147.
07 Nov 09 22:08
| Topic/replies: 44 | Blogger: rod147.'s blog
i'm in charge of handicaps at my local club and have some dude wanting me to let him keep his handicap for next seasons comps even though he has no cards in for this season( requirement is three per season at mo) he is saying he has had a bad back for most of the season and can bring proof to say he has had some therapy for it.i looked back over the year before last and he only had two qualifying cards that season which he put down to working away for 12 weeks. i'm inclined to make him play 3 more qualifying comps before his handicap becomes valid again

any thoughts most welcome
Pause Switch to Standard View handicap question
Show More
Report beepbeep November 7, 2009 10:12 PM GMT
ansolutely (bad back or not) 3 qualifying rounds is the min. doesnt matter if he has had back back or not thats the rules 3 rounds. if he hasnt completed 3 rounds in a year then the chances are he wont be able to hold the handicap from the prev year hence the rule
Report Utd Fan November 7, 2009 10:43 PM GMT
dont take this the wrong way

most handicap secs a clubs are jobsworth w4nkers.

does he have a rep as a bandit?

has he won any non qualifying comps over the last two years?

Does he have a rep for picking up the cash in the swindles?

If the answer to any of the above is yes then play it by the rules

if you dont know the answer to the above you are a carp handicac sec

if the answer is no, get a life ffs, he probably plays golf for fun and by the sounds of it he is hardly getting value for money from membership and you should do all you can to keep him not** him off.

Its jobsworths at half bit clubs that are ruining the game IMO
Report Utd Fan November 7, 2009 10:47 PM GMT

rod147 07 Nov 23:08
i'm in charge of handicaps at my local club

Not a good statement to start the thread also btw m8
Report Utd Fan November 7, 2009 10:50 PM GMT
I administer the handicaps on behalf of my club

this would be more appropriate starting gambit btw, this appoach/attitude will not turn you against 90% of members

what club btw, (please say my club)
Report Walcheren November 7, 2009 10:51 PM GMT
The match secretary at our club is a good guy and very fair as well, still gets complaints but usually from the guys who are being a bit devious with their handicaps.

I know 2 other match secretaries from other "posher" clubs and have to agree with Utd Fan 100%. They are both tos$ers of the highest order, with absolutely no leeway from the rules. Mates that have challenged them have met with obnoxious, stuck up replies.

So, play by the rules if you feel you need to. If the guy is genuine though, give him a break.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 November 7, 2009 11:00 PM GMT
if he has genuinely had a bad back then he should get an extension to play in some medals at the start of next season. Taking away his handicap would only mean he has to put three cards in to get a new one. If he is a ** (deliberately having a high handicap) he can easly play badly and put in three handicaps with large scores. The more rigourous enforcement of the three card rule is being applied probably to stop the bandits who regularly play away in doubles team competition scooping the prizes. My club actually banned a team from an open team competition. In the past three years they had been in the prizes winning one with 121 points when 110 came second. When he comp sec rang a few other clubs it became apparant they were serial offenders
Report wedge1 November 8, 2009 12:15 AM GMT
as you are the so called person in in charge of handicaps at your club answer this what the hell are you doing on here asking for advice
smacks of ineptiude
straight answer is 3 cards required to attain match playing status
no rule covers lame back excuse
Report rod147. November 8, 2009 9:36 AM GMT
thanks for the replies guys even if some of them are less than complimentary.
it was worded in terms i thought everyone would understand easily
basically i was interested in how other clubs addressed this problem because it is very common for a large portion of players who haven't got a valid handicap to continue to enter comps
how would you feel if you lost a major/board comp to one of these????
Report Utd Fan November 8, 2009 9:41 AM GMT
just re read back my posts rod and it seems I was rather harsh in my opinion of handicap secs, and over critical of your initial post. Apologies it wasnt meant to come across this way. I was a bit hyped up watching the boxing.

Thinking about it logically you have to follow the CONGU rules on this I would guess even though I dont completely agree with them
Report Utd Fan November 8, 2009 9:47 AM GMT
I have encountered complete incompetence on handicaps and attempts to maintain a flawed system.

Not an easy job as everyone has an opinion but not many prepared to do the work
Report FIGJAM November 8, 2009 5:26 PM GMT
This coincides with our club toughening up on the 3 competition rule.
They have just published a list of those ineligible for competitions next year.Out of 1100 members looks to me that half have to put in 3 cards.
Tough love is the only way.
Report Perseus November 8, 2009 6:00 PM GMT
Since the abolition of the 'general play' rule, a whole army of wizzened old Scots have been left without something to be devious about imo ;) . Seriously though, if someone cannot play 3 times in 1 year to maintain a handicap there is something wrong, especially as you can now do supplementary scores, which count as qualifiers, at your own convenience
Report rod147. November 8, 2009 6:29 PM GMT
please explain supplementary scores
re these from other courses or friendly rounds at your own???
Report mexicano November 8, 2009 7:51 PM GMT
out of about 500 full male members we've got 170+ who are not allowed to enter comps because they haven't put 3 medal cards on during the current year.
Report jim smith November 8, 2009 9:28 PM GMT
a lot of players me included are constantly trying to get their handicap down, rather than pothunting. this bloke probably comes in that category, otherwise he would happily hand it 3 poor cards and start picking up the comps.
Report Perseus November 9, 2009 12:33 PM GMT
Rod 147,

If you have not played enough comps you are allowed to submit 'supplementary scores' . You must declare this BEFORE the round, there will probably be a book to sign. You then play the round as if it is a medal round.Swap cards, hole out on every hole and submit your card at the end of the round. The advantage in my opinion is 2 fold. You choose when and where(if you have more than 1 course) to play, instead of signing up for a comp and finding a 30mph wind on the day. second, it costs nowt!
Report wazzabet.com November 9, 2009 12:37 PM GMT
major/board comp, pmsl, its not the pro tour you geek, get a life, this is what puts youngsters off joining golf clubs, not good for the future of the game, i bet you tell guys to take their hats off in the clubhouse
Report trebor November 9, 2009 1:23 PM GMT
Makes a situation worse imo, someone might only play in Bowmakers or Pro-Ams or Matchplay events and win loads, then at end of year put in 3 suplementry cards and have a few more shots to play with next season.
Report Perseus November 9, 2009 1:52 PM GMT
Trebor, the supplementaries are like normal comps. The most you can go up is 0.1
Report trebor November 9, 2009 2:06 PM GMT
oh rite, thats not so bad then.
Report FIGJAM November 10, 2009 8:08 AM GMT
wazza. Just read your inane comments.Youngsters go along with the status quo, and the need for discipline, probably something not condoned in your "do as your likey" world.

As for wearing hats in the clubhouse or restaurant, were you bought up in an institution?
Report flipem November 10, 2009 10:16 AM GMT
rod 147

This is taken from the egu site, it explains the new rules

The requirements are as follows:-
Report wazzabet.com November 10, 2009 12:01 PM GMT
figjam, does wearing a hat in a clubhouse affect anyone? a restaurant is different m8, theres no place for that, but just sitting having a beer with your hat on, very sad when people moan about it, rules in golf clubhouses dont coincide with the real world, i know loads of people who play golf at smart courses then go for a beer elsewhere cos the clubhouses are a joke, full of bored old men who cant hit a golf ball and just go to their clubs to read a paper, have a coffe and moan! thats why clubs are struggling to attract young members, cheers m8
Report FIGJAM November 10, 2009 3:37 PM GMT
wazza- It's called etiquette, something you have not familiar with obviously.That's why kids who play golf learn some discipline out side of schools who don't know the meaning of the word.
I can only speak for our club where you get a card where you spend behind the bar with a 10% discount on food and beer.
Stops the changing in car park brigade who don't support the club.If you don't spend your £150 you lose it.
If you wear a hat at the bar you have to buy everyone a round.
Report wedge1 November 10, 2009 4:15 PM GMT
i am going to remark here on clubhouse appearance
80 odd degrees sunday morning 4 hours sweating on course and you want to go to bar and stand next to someone who has bothered to shower and change thats really nice
Report wazzabet.com November 10, 2009 4:32 PM GMT
where do you play figjam? are they finding it hard to recruit members? i'm a member of a good golf club in surrey and it used to be really hard to join, now its easy to get in if you have the joining fee, worrying times for golf clubs, as i said the main reason is because of 80 percent of the members, why would grown men wanna be told what to wear, when to wear it, what time youve gotta tee off, its not school!
Report mexicano November 10, 2009 7:07 PM GMT
wazza[

do they have dress regs in your club?

i'm a member of a surrey golf club as well, we're just about full. we have a dress code, and a thriving junior section.and everybody seems happy.

the only people who have a problem with the dress code are visitors, who seem to think that paying a green fee, or a society day, entitles them to do as they please.
Report wazzabet.com November 10, 2009 8:22 PM GMT
yes we have a dess code mex, but the average age of membership is probably about 35-38, as opposed to most who about 70! its a relaxed club, i love the game but some of the rules get on my and my partners nerves, i'll be honest i hardly play in comps for a couple of reasons, mainly they take 4 and a half hours to complete, we've got 8 guys who regularly pitch up and put 50 quid in a whip, all of handicaps from scratch up to 10, winner takes 300 second gets 100, theres no **ing on handicaps, then we go for a beer in the west end to spot some eye candy! if you go to the states you can basically wear what you like, which is great for attracting the younger generation, i thought ryan moore looked great last week playing in jeans, dodgy shoes and a dodgy hat, quite refreshing
Report mexicano November 10, 2009 9:37 PM GMT
our average age amongst full male members is about 50. we've got a dress code, but it's about the same as a night club. ie smart casual. no trainers. we're all happy with it, and presumably the new members are, or i reckon they wouldn't apply.
Report FIGJAM November 10, 2009 9:56 PM GMT
wazza, mex. I too belong to a good golf club (on the Kent /London borders)with 2 courses.I guess the average age is probably like mex's but it is a vibrant club with a real competitive edge.
However like all courses locally, for the first time ever, we are short of members but have a strong financial position.
Strict dress code, although they have relaxed ties for Sunday lunch.
I was playing with a tv actor recently when one of the course marshals told him to turn his golf cap the right way round.
Personally can't stand the look of Ryan Moore,but there are scruffs in all walks of life, and I suppose golf is no exception.
My old Mum said "clothes maketh man".

I must admit I played a local course recently on a Thursday and it was like Gods waiting room in the bar.
Report mexicano November 10, 2009 10:02 PM GMT
fig

sundridge?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com