Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
THE SPINNER
04 Nov 09 23:36
| Topic/replies: 1,343 | Blogger: THE SPINNER's blog
els and yang for me lets hope for no pesky delays :)
Pause Switch to Standard View HSBC IN PLAY DAY 1
Show More
Report THE SPINNER November 4, 2009 11:58 PM GMT
lucky you mornin m8
Report djx1969. November 5, 2009 12:08 AM GMT
any links guys
Report Paiminz November 5, 2009 12:10 AM GMT
good morning, GL all
Goosen backers, bad start +2 tru 1
Report feeling better November 5, 2009 12:10 AM GMT
Both Euro and US PGA scoreboards pretending it hasn't started yet
Report padlock November 5, 2009 12:11 AM GMT
:p
Report donny osmond November 5, 2009 12:12 AM GMT
live scoring console on euro site is running
Report feeling better November 5, 2009 12:12 AM GMT
Oh. Euro has just woken up
Report Super Hans November 5, 2009 12:13 AM GMT
Goose starts well..
Report Paiminz November 5, 2009 12:25 AM GMT
First birdie of the week, Kim
Report Paiminz November 5, 2009 12:30 AM GMT
Kaymer & Watney birdie starts
Report djx1969. November 5, 2009 12:36 AM GMT
1st round leader and w/o woods market very poor
Report espinjo November 5, 2009 12:55 AM GMT
bito is controlling those markets
Report Paiminz November 5, 2009 1:13 AM GMT
Four Americans at the top, the course is American style?
Report espinjo November 5, 2009 1:17 AM GMT
yes, leftovers from the korean war
Report Paiminz November 5, 2009 1:19 AM GMT
lol
Report graycm57 November 5, 2009 1:25 AM GMT
I'll have Hanson to win his 3 ball and that'll do me for now.
Report always lay off November 5, 2009 1:47 AM GMT
prices moving like tiger aint in this..b interesting to see what happens when he gets his first birdie
Report Dado7029 November 5, 2009 3:37 AM GMT
I knew i should have backed Anthony Kim now there is no value
Report Paiminz November 5, 2009 3:45 AM GMT
Nick Watney going mad, 59 coming up?
Report djx1969. November 5, 2009 3:49 AM GMT
someone missed the boat with watney traded just over 5,s shud of checked without woods i was offering that tut tut
Report Dado7029 November 5, 2009 4:25 AM GMT
what about watney as top american at 3 is that value do you think, i mean without woods market ?
Report alfee November 5, 2009 4:34 AM GMT
good job the markets are asleep tiger would be much shorter.
Report djx1969. November 5, 2009 4:37 AM GMT
well not many golf fans stayed awake 4 the value
Report alfee November 5, 2009 4:39 AM GMT
true!, winners put match sticks in their eyes, but it pays off all the time.
Report djx1969. November 5, 2009 4:42 AM GMT
lol i know my missus thinks im crazy staying up all nite, but doesnt mind when it pays for holidays lol
Report graycm57 November 5, 2009 4:45 AM GMT
Still early(ish) here in Canada, So glad I dont have to get up at stupid o'clock for it this week :D
Report graycm57 November 5, 2009 4:46 AM GMT
graycm57 05 Nov 02:25

I'll have Hanson to win his 3 ball and that'll do me for now.

Not going well at all

Hanson Par
Randhawa -3
Sterne +4
Report djx1969. November 5, 2009 4:48 AM GMT
now the tour in europe has finished its silly hours 4 us lol, darn Tiger on the move
Report Dam8701 November 5, 2009 5:13 AM GMT
any1 got a link for this?
Report double trouble November 5, 2009 8:02 AM GMT
Woods a cracking start and the next ten in the betting all poorish and drift from their sp's yet he's still 2.6. Looks a very fair price to me, would have thought 2.2 closer to the mark myself...
Report vic November 5, 2009 1:07 PM GMT
Why is it not registered as In-Play ??
Report vic November 5, 2009 1:09 PM GMT
Sorry, its end of days play now!!
Report chris_rogers30 November 5, 2009 1:53 PM GMT
Just looking at the scores and the market and have to say that 2.52 Woods looks massive to back imo.

If i don't blow my bank on the cricket i'm all over it B-)
Report Knight Rider November 5, 2009 2:01 PM GMT
got to agree with you Chris.
Report chris_rogers30 November 5, 2009 2:14 PM GMT
Just backed it @ 5/4 with Stans.

Am in Scotland with no internet all weekend so won't be able to touch it in-running.

I figure if i'm going to have an outright not to trade punt i'd be just as well to get on with them and avoid putting myself back in PC territory with a possible win.

GL!
Report retief November 5, 2009 2:23 PM GMT
gl mr rogers
Report chris_rogers30 November 5, 2009 2:37 PM GMT
Thank you :) will keep my fingers crossed for Dougherty :)
Report retief November 5, 2009 2:41 PM GMT
:)
Report double trouble November 5, 2009 2:56 PM GMT
I know it's only day one but going on past results here (Ok so its only 4 years of data) I dont think theres much point looking at anyone worse than -5 atm. It all points to players needing to be on the pace from the get go.
Report CUPRA November 5, 2009 3:15 PM GMT
One db and he is 40s instead of being 16s. You can take the 40s now, or just wait till he is just three off the pace and take 18. Its your call. I like this tournament, it looks like proper golf. But at a silly time.
Report djx1969. November 5, 2009 3:42 PM GMT
Tiger backers you would of been rewarde w ith 2,s throughout the nite cos thats how he traded,
Report double trouble November 5, 2009 3:51 PM GMT
Sorry mate but 40's is too short. -2 definitely too far back imo.
Report graycm57 November 5, 2009 3:54 PM GMT
I'd rather have a guy on -2, most of a my pre-tournament selections are on +1 so pretty much **ed, it's all a matter of trying to get a good round or 2 together so I can cut my losses.
Report double trouble November 5, 2009 4:06 PM GMT
We'll id pretty much give up if i were you gray. Ive got 3 on -3 and Ive given them up for lost...
Report Only-the-Brave November 5, 2009 4:27 PM GMT
personally think that kim is the value here atm. Expect him to challenge at the very least
Report CUPRA November 5, 2009 6:11 PM GMT
Didnt WW come from 7 behind two years ago? and that was over 18 holes. Oh, of course there was a stopper in front. (xalm down dt, at least he doesnt have to jump fences!)
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It November 5, 2009 6:17 PM GMT
I think Mickelson looks to be a very tasty price, I would be suprised if he wasn't 3 shots off the lead by the end of the day. Will surely trade much lower than the current 16....
Report always lay off November 5, 2009 6:55 PM GMT
i cant bring myself to back so low so early in a tourney...but on value...the best has to be woods as if he was 2/1 at the start ,level with 77 players..now hes only got 4 in front,6/4 seems big....for tiger backers theres really no point backing pre if hes this price after that start...
Report double trouble November 5, 2009 7:44 PM GMT
WW did indeed come from a mile back on the Sundayto get in a play off, thanks largely to a massive Lefty stumple, but if you look at where the winners were after day one in each of the four events you can only conclude that it simply isnt a catch up course.

Howell was 4th, trailed by a shot, Yang, 2nd, trailed by a shot, Lefty was 4th and trailed by a whopping 4! Whilst Garcia was 2nd and trailed by 1.

It's possibly simplistic maybe but I dont really think theres much point looking below the -5's given Tiger's on that score...

I dont see a lot of strength in the -4's and I certainly think WW on -2 has too much to do. You need a number of top quality players to stumple, even at this early stage.
Report double trouble November 5, 2009 7:45 PM GMT
Not that i have any idea what a stumple is!
Report always lay off November 5, 2009 7:50 PM GMT
i guessed it was a cricket term for when u fall over trying to stump someone!!
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It November 5, 2009 8:15 PM GMT
So your saying Lefty is out of it DT? Absolute codswallop, Mickelson shoots -7 today and woods shoots -3. Mickelson will be -10, woods -8 and Mickelson could well be leading after round 2.
In my opinion anybody level par or better is still in this. If any of the level pars shoots -7 or -8 then they will be 2 or 3 off the lead at the end of the day.
Anybody at level or better still has a very good chance.
Report Utd Fan November 5, 2009 8:18 PM GMT
I have not heard the phrase codswallop for years LOL
Report Gary Binosh November 5, 2009 8:22 PM GMT
very good word TMM

I do agree though, at least one of the level pars or -1's will shoot -7 today which will put them right back in it.

so Phil at -3 is right in the mix
Report always lay off November 5, 2009 8:32 PM GMT
i think saying anyone at level has "a very good chance"...is def exagerrating their chance... mayb still in with a slight chance..yes..
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It November 5, 2009 8:34 PM GMT
I thought that word wouldn't be censored. I think one of the levels will shoot -7 or better who do ya think?
I'll go for Dyson, Ogilvy and Laird. Oliver Wilson at -1, and Villegas at -2 and Lefty at -3.

One of these 6 will shoot -7 or better I think...
Report Utd Fan November 5, 2009 8:39 PM GMT
hope its Dyson
Report double trouble November 5, 2009 8:42 PM GMT
We'll see soon enough...But from experience betting on anyone in the hope that they shoot better than Tiger when he's on song on a scoring track is a recipe for disaster. Codswallop it may be but I doubt it...
Report graycm57 November 5, 2009 8:42 PM GMT
Feck off.....

Hope it's Laird :D
Report graycm57 November 5, 2009 8:46 PM GMT
I'm thinking about getting on Kim and Casey here, both -5 and 18.5/27 respectively.
Report double trouble November 5, 2009 8:48 PM GMT
In my opinion anybody level par or better is still in this. If any of the level pars shoots -7 or -8 then they will be 2 or 3 off the lead at the end of the day.

Im sorry but this is just wrong. If any of the levels shoot, what is an exceptionally good score, -7 or -8, they will still, in all like likelehood be 3 or 4 back, which will be a long way around here. There are 6 very, very good players already on -5 or better and I will be very surprised if one of them doesnt go on to win.
Report always lay off November 5, 2009 9:15 PM GMT
must admit dt..think -10 more realistic to b leading...-4 looks a pretty good score...even though that guy thinks its gonna b easy to shoot - 7..only 1 did yesterday, so no reason why anyone should today..
Report bristoldoug November 5, 2009 9:18 PM GMT
Some fancy prices about some of the leaders purely because Woods is challenging. Shane Lowry, Nick Dogherty and Lin wen-tang all available at around 100 or more and Joyti Randhawa at about 180. Had a couple of quid on each of them in the hope that one of them can sustain a challenge and then trade later in the tournament.

I never back Woods unless he drifts out to about 8/1, and I fancy he will slip up a little tonight.

I really like the look of Anthony Kim at 18.5 - player in form and hungry for a win after losing the matchplay last week.

And whatever Kaymer does this week or in the final few tournaments this year you really have to fancy his chances of challenging for a major next year. Lovely player to watch and just seems to be improving with every event.
Report Super Hans November 5, 2009 9:34 PM GMT
Not a big fan of Quiros but surely 130 is massive considering he was trading at 150 before the tournament started.

Considering the last 3 winners have shot at least 1 rd of 70+ a good rd today would put him right in the mix.

Could be worth a couple of quid.
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It November 5, 2009 11:08 PM GMT
How can you not be a fan of Quiros, the guy is a fu cking legend!!!
And by DT 's recononing noboby -4 or worse is in the tournament, total pish!!!!
I can guarentee you somebody level or -1 will shoot very low today and get right back in the mix, it happens virtually every week ffs!!
Report Super Hans November 5, 2009 11:22 PM GMT
I mean in betting terms. Personally he`s a nice fella.

Although DT will probably end up being right. I too would`nt rule out anyone down to -1 / -2.

The average winning score has been -14.5 and Tiger has twice shot a round better than yesterday and not gone on to win. 2005 1st round 65 finished 2nd @ -17. 2006 2nd round 64 finish 2nd @ -12.

I would`nt be surprised if -8 was still leading tomorrow morning and hopefully Alvero will be one of them.
Report graycm57 November 5, 2009 11:22 PM GMT
AQ has cost me too much money in the past, he's added to my ** list :D
Report Utd Fan November 6, 2009 6:37 AM GMT
What a load of codswallop, Micko bang in this trading at 5/1 good shout TMM
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 7:03 AM GMT
Dont be a d i c k utd. I think my points have been completely validated. This is NOT a catch up course. Quiros and Lefty have shot the best rounds of the day, started in a tie for 13th and still dont lead.
Report graycm57 November 6, 2009 7:06 AM GMT
AQ has just moved higher up my ** list :D
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It November 6, 2009 7:30 AM GMT
double trouble 06 Nov 08:03
Dont be a d i c k utd. I think my points have been completely validated. This is NOT a catch up course. Quiros and Lefty have shot the best rounds of the day, started in a tie for 13th and still dont lead.

NOT A CATCH UP COURSE, what utter tripe you talk... So what if their not leading, I didn't know that had to be after 36 to win after 72... And being 5 off the lead now 1 off the lead is exactly what I would call a catchup.
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 7:35 AM GMT
TMMIDWI, where are all those level par players that were going to get involved????

All i'm doing is offering up some fact based research but if people would rather listen to your insane rubbish then so be it.
Report CUPRA November 6, 2009 7:37 AM GMT
The forum returns to it's best. Keep it going, it's cheering me up
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 7:40 AM GMT
LoL. Why am I biting mate?
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It November 6, 2009 7:41 AM GMT
double trouble 05 Nov 20:44
WW did indeed come from a mile back on the Sundayto get in a play off, thanks largely to a massive Lefty stumple, but if you look at where the winners were after day one in each of the four events you can only conclude that it simply isnt a catch up course.

Howell was 4th, trailed by a shot, Yang, 2nd, trailed by a shot, Lefty was 4th and trailed by a whopping 4! Whilst Garcia was 2nd and trailed by 1.

It's possibly simplistic maybe but I dont really think theres much point looking below the -5's given Tiger's on that score...

I dont see a lot of strength in the -4's and I certainly think WW on -2 has too much to do. You need a number of top quality players to stumple, even at this early stage.

Your first point is over 4 tournaments so you cannot conclude anything, far far too small a sample.
And your second point, was cleary plain and simply wrong, Alvaro and Lefty have clearly caught up and are now right in it.....
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 8:11 AM GMT
Sorry TMMIDWI. Crazy strategy looking at past results and scoring patterns. Unsure how i ever win tbh. Maybe I should just blindly back the same person every week hey.

Just out of interest, did you answer my ? Where are all the level pars that were going to get involved please?
Report Utd Fan November 6, 2009 4:45 PM GMT
Why you need to start throwing insults around astonishes me, it really does. If thats what being full time is all about then I am happy I just do this for a bit of fun and to make a few £££.

btw if being a d1ck means picking up a nice trade on Micko then I will take it as a compliment :^0
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 5:59 PM GMT
Because your behaved like one, that's why. Why bring this back up this morning? Nothing Ive said on this thread has been proved inaccurate anyway and it certainly wasn't codswallop.

If TMMIDWI had dragged it up then fair enough, he's the one who was trying, unsuccessfully, to disprove my theory.
Report Utd Fan November 6, 2009 6:05 PM GMT
how have I behaved like a d1ck :^0

TMM used a very funny word in Codswallop and came out with a cracking shout on Micko.

I havent made a comment about you so chill out ffs
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It November 6, 2009 6:06 PM GMT
Your theory sucked and I have proved that, Micko and Quiros were both -3, and this isn't what you call a catch up course. Well that is exactly what they have done.
You might make money on here, but that doesn't mean you are always right, just most of the time
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 6:18 PM GMT
TMMIDWI, you are talking through your backside but that's nothing new. Please highlight what I have said that is wrong and please answer my ? (the 3rd time of asking). Where are the level par players that were sure to get involved please?

Utd, this forum used to be good, you could have an intelligent debate about the state of play. And you were one of those that offered it up! Yes Codswallops an hilarious word, but this clown offered no intelligent debate, never does. He's still trying to rubbish my input just for the hell of it. Nothing that has happened today has changed my opinion that this is NOT a catch up course.

I repeat, Lefty and Quiros shot the best rounds of the day and from tied 13th are still trailing. And thats with a couple of top class players (and 3 lesser lights) performing very poorly.

There are some good points on this thread from Super Hans and always lay off, but unfortunately they get lost in the rubbish, or should I say codswallop?
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 6:19 PM GMT
That said, I apologise for calling you a dick utd...
Report ronsk November 6, 2009 6:21 PM GMT
This plaice is full of codswollop, it's totally haddock as far as I'm concerned!!! :(
Report graycm57 November 6, 2009 6:24 PM GMT
You're just fishing though
Report Utd Fan November 6, 2009 6:26 PM GMT
no problem, I was just trying to add some humour and it backfired.

I was more giddy the fact that Micko got me out the poo following my prolific poor selections in Dyson,Goosen and Jeev

I have given TMM some stick in the past but at least he is drumming up debate like your good self. It would also be a dull old world if we constantly agreed :)
Report ronsk November 6, 2009 6:27 PM GMT
Just angling for a lighter shade of debate to be honest... Too many maggots around though imv...
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 6:32 PM GMT
My sense of humours gone utd. It'll be even worse tomorrow with yet more sleep deprivation!

I'm so tired I cant even think of a witty fish based retort for Ronsk's entertainment!
Report ronsk November 6, 2009 6:34 PM GMT
Then stop carping on and get some flaming sleep man!
Report Utd Fan November 6, 2009 6:44 PM GMT
I never trade when tired too many sharks on here to take advantage.
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 6:45 PM GMT
I've tried, but I'm not a very good kipper in the day..
Report ronsk November 6, 2009 6:48 PM GMT
I've never heard such complete and utter polloks in my life!
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It November 6, 2009 6:49 PM GMT
All I am saying DT is that I do not believe there is such a thing as a non catch up course, this is professional golf, anybody can catch anyone anywhere, fact!
And I'm piling some more onto Micko I just love his chances.
OK none of the levels or -1 got back into it, but 2 of the -3's did and you said anyone below -5 was out of it, which has been proven that statement was complete and utter codswallop!!!
Report ronsk November 6, 2009 6:51 PM GMT
That's it, I'm out of here... You lot have a whale of a time debating whether it's a catch-up course or not... Big fish, little fish, cardboard box!
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It November 6, 2009 6:53 PM GMT
You going out clubbing ronsk??
Report Utd Fan November 6, 2009 6:55 PM GMT
Meaning

Nonsense.

Origin

Portrait of Hiram CoddThe origin of the term codswallop is unclear. The most widely quoted story has it that of Hiram Codd, an English soft drinks maker during the 1870s, who developed a technique for bottling lemonade. This process involved the insertion of a glass marble as a stopper into the neck of the bottle. When the bottle was shaken the resulting pressure from the fizzy pop forced the marble against the neck to form a seal.

The Codd BottleThe device was called, not unreasonably, the Codd Bottle.

Wallop is a slang term for beer, and beer drinkers would certainly be disdainful of bottled soft drinks. This slang term dates from around the early to mid 20th century. Eric Partridge, in A Dictionary of Slang, claims it as serviceman's slang and dates it from the 1930s. An early example of it in print comes in J[ohn] B[oynton] Priestley's Three men in new suits, 1945:

"It's drink... Booze or wollop... Nine times out of ten... you wake up in the morning... with the usual hangover."

It's not difficult to see how a soft drink in a Codd Bottle could have come to be called codswallop.

There's no actual evidence for that derivation though. In fact, such neat plausibility without evidence is often the mark of the linguistic mythology known as folk etymology. Look no further than these popular fallacies for confirmation of that.

The earliest known citation of the phrase in print is the script of a 1959 episode of the UK TV series 'Hancock's Half Hour'. The writers Galton and Simpson don't claim to have coined the phrase, which they say was in public circulation when the show was broadcast.

'A load of codswallop' sounds old and the Hiram Codd story has a certain appeal. The problem with the tale, apart from the lack of any supporting evidence, is the entirely implausible notion that the phrase was in popular circulation since 1870 but somehow didn't manage to get into print until 1959. That lack of printed record is despite the fact that an appeal for early citations that was made on national TV in the UK in 2006 failed to uncover any citations earlier than 1959. Also, if Mr. Codd's drink were the derivation we would expect to find early examples of the name in the form Codd's Wallop - but there aren't any such examples. That, along with the fact that the term 'wallop' itself wasn't associated with its 'drink/beer' meaning until well after Codd's death, makes the 'Codd's Wallop' derivation highly improbable.

The most likely explanation is that it is a made up nonsense word that just sounds right for its meaning.

Cod is a little-used slang word meaning 'to hoax or take a rise out of', known since at least 1873. It was used in much the same way we now use the verb 'to kid', as here in a quotation from 1884:

"Tha'st only coddin me as tha allus does; tha'l none tay me to see th' fair."

That could be the origin of the cod in 'codswallop', but that's just plausible speculation, which brings us back full circle.
Report Utd Fan November 6, 2009 6:57 PM GMT
thats me out of here too, I am battered with all this coddin around

when you do get some sleep DT - sweet breams
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 7:03 PM GMT
Thanks for finally answering the ? But you are misquoting me..

I at no point said that anyone below -5 was out of it

I said that on the evidence we had that I wouldnt be interested in anyone under -5. and tbf that may still be the right strategy.

The fact that you dont believe theres such a thing as a catch up course explains why you refused to see where i was coming from tbh,
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 7:04 PM GMT
LOL utd, quality..
Report Take My Money, I Don't Want It November 6, 2009 7:14 PM GMT
Yeah I heard people use that term before and I simply don't agree.
On an easy course good conditions the leader could play poorly and shoot say -1 and the catcher could shoot -8.
On a difficult course or tough conditions the leader could shoot +4 and the catcher -3.

Please explain to me what makes a catch up course or not a catch up course, I am intrigued.
Report double trouble November 6, 2009 7:37 PM GMT
In theory what you say is true, but in reality it's rarely the case. There will always be isolated cases that go against the norm though. But in the long run you're better off following the trends and spotting the new ones imo.

It's very hard to come from off the pace at a US Open for example. And thats because the set up is so difficult that going low just doesnt happen, and at the other end of the spectrum a course where scoring is easy plays into the hands of the leaders as even if theyre nervous and play a few loose shots they can still recover easily and score.

Obviously if theres just one or two players clear then they can have poor days and get passed easily...As Kaymer, Casey, Lin, Dougherty, and Lowry did last night. But when theres a few up there its hard to see them all struggling...

Looking at previous years results can be a very good guide and its amazing how at certain courses third round leaders have very good records and at others they have terrible records.

As you rightly pointed out earlier, 4 years is a small sample to draw conclusions from but I still feel that its hard to make up ground here.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com