Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
SontaranStratagem
03 Feb 24 00:23
| Topic/replies: 50,796 | Blogger: SontaranStratagem's blog
Building a decent squad for L1 standards and I think they'll go on a run now, not get promoted but pull away from danger and finish strong

Next season they'll be up there I think
Pause Switch to Standard View Charlton Athletic
Show More
Report mecca February 3, 2024 1:57 AM GMT
Didn't they once have the biggest capacity ground in the English leagues? (Including what is now the premier league)
Report lovegod February 3, 2024 6:10 AM GMT
Sont

In the next six games we have to play Derby twice, Pompey and Bolton so hoepfully get something from the Lincoln and Reading games.

Just need a manager to sort out the formation and personnel.
Report the fink sisters February 3, 2024 9:44 AM GMT
Seem them a couple of times this season. Can be decent going forward but they make so many basic errors in defence, especially late in the game.

Seems to me that part of the problem in that league is the high turnover of players from one season to the next. Good loan signings really help. Dobson leaving for the Hungarian Premier League won’t help and I’d be surprised if a Championship club doesn’t take a chance on Leaburn.

If rumours coming out of the club are to be believed, they’ll give the job to Nathan Jones. Seems a marmite character to me so that could go either way. I would have thought Warburton would have been a better appointment.
Report Emitdeb February 3, 2024 11:48 AM GMT
Nearly had Neil Warnock till the end of the season! How exciting would that have been??..

Not won a match in 15 but not been playing too badly imo... Interim manager in charge today, so I'll be backing them @ a very tasty price at home to Derby County...
Report lovegod February 3, 2024 11:50 AM GMT
We have no trouble scoring goals but can't stop letting them in.

Leaburn is out for the season so may attract interest in the summer.

Re Nathan Jones, seen him on Sky reporting on games and there's something I don't like about him, I don't really want him. Rowett is high up the betting, wouldn't mind him if he'd drop to League One.

Who knows!!! Another false dawn at 3pm today.
Report the fink sisters February 3, 2024 12:02 PM GMT
Think Rowett would be a decent appointment if you can get him. Looks like they’ve gone for Jones though. Hope you stay up lovegod. I manage to get to Charlton about 4 times a season and it’s a lovely ground. Good luck today. Your February fixtures look horrendous.
Report SontaranStratagem February 3, 2024 12:05 PM GMT
Derby wobbling a little but their squad looks to good to not at least finish top 4 at this point

I think it could be a decent game today between those two, Alfie May to score anytime looks a decent bet providing he plays
Report Emitdeb February 3, 2024 12:17 PM GMT
Nathan Jones is the new Charlton manager... Not in charge today though..
Report SontaranStratagem February 3, 2024 2:24 PM GMT
Decent appointment in my opinion

He will do well in L1
Report kingscrewed February 3, 2024 2:47 PM GMT
Charlton look big today @ 3.6 looks like Derby playing 5 at the back to try and match Charlton. A defensive line up from the rams and the addicks front 2 (May and Ludapo) I expect to cause problems. Maybe we (Derby) put in 1 of our quality performances but @2.1 I dont think reflects how often we turn up as a team.
Report SontaranStratagem February 3, 2024 3:11 PM GMT
Ladapo is a fantastic signing for them , will it be made permanent? @lovegod
Report SontaranStratagem February 3, 2024 3:36 PM GMT
0-1 but Charlton playing well (by L1 standards)

Awful defensive error for the goal
Report SontaranStratagem February 3, 2024 6:01 PM GMT
Lost but their big games are coming up in the next few weeks

Did ok today against a side chasing autos
Report lovegod February 4, 2024 6:22 AM GMT
Got to agree with that Sont.

Thought we battled well and didn't stop trying but again a defensive error costs us the game.

Second half Derby seemed content to defend, or was it us pushing them back? We huffed and puffed but couldn't see us having the guile to break through.

Port Vale and Reading play in midweek so could be even worse by next Saturday.If we can't beat Reading then we need to not lose to them either.
Report lovegod February 4, 2024 8:51 AM GMT
Sont

Re Ladapo, he's very poor at the moment. Not looked fit the first few games, looked fitter yesterday but he couldn't seem to control or pass the ball. Boots on the wrong foot maybe?
Report SontaranStratagem February 4, 2024 4:12 PM GMT
He'll get fit once youre sorted manager wise with Jones

He's a good striker in L1 , hopefully you pick up some points now and I bet it'll be a little different in the return game vs Derby once Jones has had a couple of weeks with the players
Report Emitdeb February 6, 2024 7:43 PM GMT
3.25 on here to beat Reading on Saturday... No doubt in my mind, That will Happen. Cool
Report SontaranStratagem February 6, 2024 8:11 PM GMT
Yeah that's a big game need to win it to pull away from the drop
Report lovegod February 7, 2024 8:07 AM GMT
If we can't win it then don't lose it.

The results didn't help us last night bar Port Vale losing, although they've got 2 games in hand, but we've got to start doing it ouselves and getting wins.
Report Crisp77 February 7, 2024 1:42 PM GMT
Why all the posts about Charlton? It sounds like you are an addict. Plain
Report lovegod February 7, 2024 3:47 PM GMT
I am for over 50 years.
Report The Dragon February 7, 2024 4:10 PM GMT
Coolrespect LG
Report Emitdeb February 7, 2024 4:33 PM GMT
Ever tried rehab? lovegod... Laugh

addicks is CAFC.. addict is mesmerised and such.. Mischief
Report Deptford February 7, 2024 6:25 PM GMT
Millwall
Report SontaranStratagem February 7, 2024 9:35 PM GMT

Feb 7, 2024 -- 1:42PM, Crisp77 wrote:

Why all the posts about Charlton? It sounds like you are an addict.

Big club in L1 and always had a bit of a soft spot for them since the LMA Manager days Wink

Report SontaranStratagem February 7, 2024 9:37 PM GMT
Plus they do have a squad to good to drop surely?

they should be chasing top 6 minimum in my opinion
Report SontaranStratagem February 7, 2024 9:41 PM GMT
Also I think its the only fools reference with Rodney marrying Casandra

Always stuck with me hence the being them in LMA Manager obsession
Report the fink sisters February 18, 2024 3:45 PM GMT
Decent point yesterday and a good performance by all accounts. Team put in a proper shift. Two more very tough fixtures coming up, but they might have enough about them to avoid the drop.
Report Emitdeb February 24, 2024 2:02 PM GMT
All aboard! Todays the day!! Get ON!!! HappyCool
Report lovegod February 25, 2024 6:53 AM GMT
Played well today, got to start turning draws into wins, 4 point gap now to the 5/6 clubs above and teams below ith games in hand.

Unexpected two points from last 2 games, Bolton away and Pompey at home, lets hope we can do better at Derby on Tuesday.
Report Regbutler February 25, 2024 7:51 AM GMT
Grew up with Charlton as the closest club, with about half the lads at school supporting them and most of the rest, like me, supporting Millwall
The question Mecca asked at the start of this thread... The old Valley had the biggest single terrace in the UK, possibly the World.
The side opposite the main stand held about 2 thirds of the total capacity, from memory about 50 thousand perhaps?
Report Emitdeb February 27, 2024 9:51 PM GMT
Away to Fecking Derby!!! the one time I think better to getting involved... CryCryCry  Traded @ 40's too... Derby 1-2 Charlton

19 games without a victory!
Report lovegod February 28, 2024 5:27 AM GMT
It's the Charlton way, taken 5 points from the top 3 in the last week or so.

Good day yesterday with Reading deducted poits, Port Vale blowing a two goal lead and Cheltenham losing.

Now Northampton and Cheltenham away, let's see what occurs.
Report the fink sisters March 6, 2024 3:43 PM GMT
Well done to Nathan Jones, the players and the coaching staff. That's some turnaround, especially in what looked like a really difficult run of fixtures in February.

A couple of wins needed to guarantee L1 football next season, but they will get there.

Difficult work then begins. Dobson is off, which will leave a hole but Coventry looks good. They desperately need a couple of quality central defenders. Not nearly good enough to compete for promotion next season as it stands. Elsewhere in the squad, some really good young talent coming through.
Report lovegod March 6, 2024 4:45 PM GMT
Team seems to have more energy about them, suppose good results help that.

Anyway things looking better than a couple of weeks ago. Three away games in a week and 7 points, should have been 9 but for a crazy moment by the goalie.

This weekend at home to the bottom club Carlisle, the Charlton way would be to lose. Not won two games in a row all season so be a good time to start.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com