Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Dragon
26 Jan 24 18:36
| Topic/replies: 19,913 | Blogger: The Dragon's blog
alonso a shoo in ?
Pause Switch to Standard View Next Liverpool Manager
Show More
Report The Dragon January 26, 2024 6:39 PM GMT
Report s.kenbo January 26, 2024 7:14 PM GMT
It seems so looking at the betting.

I must be getting out of touch with the game. There’s a few names in the betting I’ve never even heard of!
Report 11kv January 26, 2024 7:18 PM GMT
Alan Curbishley dusting off his coaching badges,just landed at John Lennon...
Report ALIEN SEX FIEND January 26, 2024 7:25 PM GMT
No coincidence that Roy Hodgson has said he is leaving this season.

Possible flyers:Joey Barton  Beale as Sunderland don't want him.

Managerial skills have to admit Klopp is up there, however another every decision is against them. 4th referees smiling.
Report 11kv January 26, 2024 7:30 PM GMT
Beale drove  through Liverpool in 2016 so he will throw his hat in the ring the fecking traitor....
Report cool_hand_luke January 28, 2024 9:08 AM GMT
what odds would a Klopp U-Turn be?
Report nineteen points January 28, 2024 9:15 AM GMT
for continuity and a seemless transition they need someone very much the same character,

maybe the shrek donkey?
Report The Dragon January 28, 2024 7:28 PM GMT
no way beale will be with any chance of replacing jurgen
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 28, 2024 7:36 PM GMT
He's been spotted buying a ticket for bootleg beatles
Report PLACEWISE January 29, 2024 12:43 PM GMT
Gerrard sighed new contact in Saudi that lasted till the due date klopp was meant to leave or become out of contract I have no doubt in that contract was a clause that should Liverpool job become available he’d be allowed to talk/leave

He was the natural predecessor till his spell at villa he has managed many of the players coming through now at liverpool also first teamers Trent and Curtis

Knows the club inside out understands it and what’s required he will have learnt more from villa and Saudi if he as still at rangers he’d be odds on favorite

Alonso favorite as he’s in form ex player hitting the headlines if the owners believe in the quality of the squad I think they will go with gerrard for many reasons
Report s.kenbo January 29, 2024 12:56 PM GMT
It would be a huge mistake imo for them to get Gerrard. Superb player, poor manager, idolised by the Kop. It will be Lampard and Chelsea all over again.
Report rothko January 29, 2024 1:07 PM GMT
Gerard just not up to it as a manager

Knowing the club inside out isnt the main thing to look for in a manager. Frank Lampard knew chelsea inside out and how did that turn out

Gerrard has never been the natural successor to Klopp as manager and his odds hopefully reflect his chances

I dont know one liverpool supporter who wants Gerrard as the next manager and I know quite a lot
Report PLACEWISE January 29, 2024 2:38 PM GMT
The managers on the list between Alonso offs on and gerrard 20/1 are not very good all have mixed cv some just flavor of the month for finishing mid table or bit higher or playing nice football

I’m sure if u asked those Liverpool fans when he was at rangers they would have been happy in time for him to take over
Report scandanavian_haven January 29, 2024 2:51 PM GMT
Gerrard couldn't get a tune out of Aston Villa, you've seen the difference Emery has made with the same budget and group of players, they should get Tuchel
Report sadlers January 29, 2024 3:02 PM GMT
Hopefully they go for Gerrard.
Report s.kenbo January 29, 2024 3:08 PM GMT
Any Liverpool fans wanting Gerrard are letting their hearts rule their heads. There’s probably some Man Utd fans out there who’d willingly have Rooney at the helm. Whoever does take over at Pool have got a fairly decent side to manage. It shouldn’t do, but it could go t1ts up pretty quickly with the wrong man.
Report PorcupineorPineapple January 29, 2024 4:00 PM GMT
I don't think there's any Liverpool fan any more who wants Gerrard
Report duffy January 29, 2024 4:13 PM GMT
I think the fact that Gerard is utterly clueless and everyone knows it might prove too big of an obstacle to his chances.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! January 29, 2024 4:20 PM GMT
Apart from the fact his £15 million tax free salary
Kant be matched by Poo
Silly
Report mecca January 29, 2024 5:01 PM GMT
I reckon they should let Woy have another gp
Report PLACEWISE January 29, 2024 5:49 PM GMT
The salary won’t come into it just means he’s extremely well off and would get a decent contract anyway for a job he’s always wanted
I judt think he’s too big in a limited market
Report vidou January 29, 2024 7:25 PM GMT
Interestingly Betvictor are biggest on Xabi Alonso at Evs and Ruben Amorim has shortened all day from 16s down to 2s. He's manager of Sporting in Portugal and is available at 14 elsewhere. Does VC know something ...?
Report Latalomne January 29, 2024 8:26 PM GMT
Several articles linking him in recent days, Vidou
Report Crisp77 January 30, 2024 10:30 AM GMT
If the Liverpool fans apologise for booing the National Anthem, Southgate may consider taking the job.
Report ashbourne February 3, 2024 7:59 AM GMT
Gerrard would be the worst thing they could do
Report PLACEWISE February 3, 2024 11:56 AM GMT
Based on what the job he did at rangers or job he did at villa he’s never worked with a squad this good
Report rothko February 3, 2024 8:48 PM GMT
im not sure why you are pushing Gerard PLACEWISE

either you are a manc or you've had a bet on him

i would stay their is a slim chance he will be considered and slim has just left town
Report sofaking February 3, 2024 9:09 PM GMT
A lot of money coming in for Southgate. It would be a great opportunity for Liverpool to make a seamless transition from the Klapp era.
Report tobermory February 3, 2024 10:39 PM GMT
failing in the premier league cancelled out what Gerrard did at Rangers.

No one cares what he does in the Saudi league, might as well be on the moon.
Report scandanavian_haven February 3, 2024 11:24 PM GMT
Any smart manager worth their salt would not want to take the Liverpool job as it's a poisoned chalice straight after Klopp, Liverpool will still be feeling the Klopp hangover and the next guy is just going to be endlessly stood up to him, his record and personality, way he resonated with the City etc. Always better to take over a big club when they're not already at or near the top, Man United a rare exception because their recruitment has just been so bad after Fergie.

Even Pep was on a hiding to nothing at Bayern, why take over a treble winning team, you can't better it only equal it and he didn't come close in 3 years, no CL finals. At City there was something to aim for with never having won the Champions League. He won Bundesliga titles but they've won that 11 years on the trot in a one team league.

Imagine going from Klopp to Southgate, would be like going from Miami to Margate.
Report themightymac February 4, 2024 12:04 AM GMT
Stevie the fans favourite looks a good outside bet.
Report sofaking February 4, 2024 3:12 AM GMT
Available at up to 24/1 if you're willing to back him, mac.Crazy The Liverpool hierarchy are far too sensible to take a chance on Stevie G in my opinion. And he's certainly not doing anything in Saudi Arabia to enhance his reputation. True what scanda said, Klapp will be a hard act to follow. Might be like replacing Ferguson at Man U (although Fergie had a far greater legacy).
Report duffy February 4, 2024 4:23 AM GMT
Imagine going from Klopp to Southgate, would be like going from Miami to Margate.

Del and Rodney went from Margate to MiamiGrin
Report Latalomne February 4, 2024 9:08 AM GMT
That's why I think it makes total sense to promote from within Lijnders knows the club, the players, the drills they work on.  It's such an unusual situation for a new manager to be sought for a club that's already doing well.  Bringing in ANYONE from outside is a massive risk, IMHO.
Report lurka February 4, 2024 11:04 AM GMT
Lijnders is leaving too along with the entire backroom team. The timing of it seems like it might be to let the fans down gently and they are going elsewhere.
There are a lot of managers who play similar to Klopp. Gerard is not one of them. Someone like that would be best for their squad. Alonso prob the best candidate.

Matip is out of contract this summer. VVD, Salah and Trent next year. Prob wise to try offloading VVD ad Salah to Saudi this summer if the new manager wants to. They will be 34 and 33 when their contracts expire and Salah is already on £300k+ a week.
Report themightymac February 4, 2024 5:45 PM GMT
Available at up to 24/1 if you're willing to back him, mac

Already have sofa @ 42 thanks. I`ve had worse speculative bets.

Will pay for a family holiday if it were to happen, lol.
Report rothko February 4, 2024 8:15 PM GMT
think you will be family holidaying in margate rather than miami themightymac
Report themightymac February 4, 2024 10:01 PM GMT
lol Rothko! You may be right.

.... but Margate would be too far away. I was thinking more like Lossiemouth! Grin
Report The Dragon February 6, 2024 4:06 PM GMT
stevie will not get thegig for sure.

alonso will get it i reckon if not id have the brighton manager as a worthy second best

pep may want to come to a more historic and better club of course but unlikely given his mercenary and lack of soul personality
Report PorcupineorPineapple February 6, 2024 5:35 PM GMT
I reckon it might be the Sporting Lisbon guy. Issue with Alonso is that his footballing style is much more Benitez-esque than Klopp's heavy metal. While we still  have Trent and Szob and Mo and Darwin I reckon the owners might want to ensure a structure that carries on playing that way.
Report The Dragon February 6, 2024 6:06 PM GMT
tough gig whoever it is..impossible at to follow
Report The Dragon February 6, 2024 6:06 PM GMT
act
Report elise February 6, 2024 6:50 PM GMT
if that's the list for one of the top jobs in the prem then they are in trouble with the replacement
Report The Dragon February 6, 2024 7:55 PM GMT
you tell me who else should be on the list elise

not too many top managers about to fill onre of the best manager jobs going
Report PorcupineorPineapple February 6, 2024 8:06 PM GMT
Interesting thing for me is what's next and who will bring in the next tactics?

Doesn't seem that long ago that Benitez and Mourinho were the bright young things, shaking the game up but they're very much yesterday's men now. Their tactics seem very old fashioned in today's game. Guardiola and Klopp aren't very old but have been playing their styles for around a decade or more now. Key for their success probably is how they've modified along the way and you'd have to imagine Pep will continue to stay right at the top of the tree here with City's billions behind him. But maybe the future is someone like Alonso who is maybe looking back to discover the future. Dunno. Might be a year early for him though and it'd be valuable seeing his tactics up against CL teams.
Report The Dragon February 6, 2024 8:41 PM GMT
guy from brighton is the future
Report LoyalHoncho February 6, 2024 9:08 PM GMT
Go for a big gun needing a new challenge and with loads of the right kind of experience.

Diego Simeone fits the bill.
Report Crisp77 February 6, 2024 10:35 PM GMT

Feb 6, 2024 -- 2:41PM, The Dragon wrote:

guy from brighton is the future

Thanks for the dating advice

Report elise February 7, 2024 1:48 PM GMT
you tell me who else should be on the list elise

u tell me which of those bar the top one you'd consider, it's a short list of nobodys
Report vidou February 7, 2024 8:21 PM GMT
I'm a bit surprised Pep Lijnders is not being given much consideration - knows the club, players and tactics inside out, is looking to get into management and has the back-up team who are in exactly the same position.
Report PorcupineorPineapple February 8, 2024 7:27 AM GMT
The fact that he handed in his notice at the same time (remember Klopp actually announced to the board in November) suggests Pep has been considered but they made it clear it wouldn't be him, so he's decided he needs to step up elsewhere.
Report vidou February 8, 2024 7:41 AM GMT
Out of curiousity is that your opinion or have you read that somewhere? I would have thought the back-up team would have all have handed their notice in en masse out of respect to JK and left the decision on who to appoint to the board. Which obviously is an ongoing situation.
Report PorcupineorPineapple February 8, 2024 10:08 AM GMT
I've read that Klopp told the owners back in November. And obviously the backroom team announced their departure straight after Jurgen.

I don't think Pep is that allied to Klopp in the way that Krawietz is or Buvac was. Ljinders joined under Rodgers and left after a couple of years to have a poor spell as manager back in Holland before returning.

I think Pep always wanted to be a manager and would have another go at it. The board just don't think he's ready for us yet (my interpretation).
Report vidou February 8, 2024 10:59 AM GMT
Ok thanks for clearing that up - was wondering if we should dismiss PL from betting perspective
Report ashbourne February 8, 2024 1:44 PM GMT
'Diego Simeone fits the bill'

I agree, seems to have what it takes
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- February 10, 2024 11:01 PM GMT
Brighton manager missing today for dental surgery.

If he ends up with hampsteads like Klopp then

CHARGE!
Report themightymac February 10, 2024 11:07 PM GMT
Jurgen lined up for the Barcelona job. Natives not happy with Xavi.
Report rothko February 10, 2024 11:12 PM GMT
ffs after all he's said and lined up to take the stress of the barca job Crazy
Report Capt__F February 11, 2024 6:30 AM GMT
bayer leverkusen look decent last night
Report themightymac February 11, 2024 11:08 PM GMT
Xavi`s coat was on a loose peg before they drew with the mighty Granada tonight. He will be gone before the season ends and Klopp will get the job.

......  I will revive this fred later for rothko when it happens. Crazy
Report rothko February 11, 2024 11:35 PM GMT
And I will revive it if it doesn’t happen [:wink:Wink
Report LoyalHoncho February 12, 2024 3:48 PM GMT
D.N.R. for me when the time comes!  Laugh
Report themightymac February 18, 2024 5:35 PM GMT
calling Rothko - easy tenner for you mate, someone wanting a tenner layed @ 38 on Klopp getting the Barcelona job. Go grab it.
Report rothko February 18, 2024 11:27 PM GMT
themightymac • February 18, 2024 5:35 PM GMT
calling Rothko - easy tenner for you mate, someone wanting a tenner layed @ 38 on Klopp getting the Barcelona job. Go grab i
t
i dont bet in tenners Laugh

anyway lets see who will take that toxic barca job
Report The Dragon February 21, 2024 4:20 PM GMT
Alonso drifted out to 2.04Shocked
Report PorcupineorPineapple February 21, 2024 4:55 PM GMT
Must be Bayern's first pick surely
Report The Dragon February 21, 2024 4:57 PM GMT
im sure hed rather manage liverpool than bayern
Report PorcupineorPineapple February 21, 2024 5:01 PM GMT
Well he's in the rather brilliant position where any top club needing a new manager will have him very near the top of the list. Very rare that you get a big name player stepping up so well. I've read that Liverpool's priority is a DoF which makes sense. One bad thing about the last couple of Klopp years is how he dismantled the backroom and brought it all on his own shoulders. Luckily he's so good that last summer's signings were great and we're having a good season, but the long term aim should be for a solid structure and plan. If Alonso doesn't want to work under a DoF and wants to be an old-fashioned manager then he might well look elsewhere.
Report The Dragon February 21, 2024 5:18 PM GMT
Interesting perspective PoP.

All in the lap of the gods of course. Alonso will have been influenced by the managers he played under and learnt from them.

Anyones guess how it turns out but i reckon hell want to come to Anfield. It gets into your blood
Report scandanavian_haven February 21, 2024 5:23 PM GMT
a director of football usually involves someone who foists their players onto a manager, no surprise proper managers have no interest in that, a manager knows a good player when he sees one, a football director looks at computer models and statistics and decides they must be good. Imagine Ferguson putting up with that.
Report kingscrewed February 21, 2024 5:47 PM GMT
Think part of the story with Alonso is where his wife wants to be. There was a big rumour when he was at Real he was having an affair with a spanish popstar. His wife supposedly said we go abroad or the marriage us over. Although far as I'm aware there was never any whispers that he was playing away whilst at liverpool.
Report The Dragon February 21, 2024 5:52 PM GMT
2.24 now the drift continuesShockedScaredSad
Report The Dragon February 21, 2024 5:53 PM GMT
second fav is 10.00 Roberto De zerbi
Report Angela Rebecchi February 21, 2024 6:14 PM GMT

Feb 21, 2024 -- 11:52AM, The Dragon wrote:

2.24 now the drift continues

Market is pathetically illiquid. £30 quid either to odds on 1000/1 Laugh

Report The Dragon February 21, 2024 6:41 PM GMT
indeed but thats how it is on here these daysSad
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit