Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Storm Alert
10 Dec 22 15:05
| Topic/replies: 9,529 | Blogger: Storm Alert's blog
England are apparently unchanged, so Foden and Saka flanking Harry Kane in attack, with Henderson in midfield alongside Rice. France have reached the quarter-finals last three world cups and normally qualify for next round against UEFA nations. England are not conceding many goals, France always seem to concede but have a nine match world cup winning streak when Mbappe starts. Still deciding if I am going to the pub which will be good for my nerves I suppose or watching it with a mate around his house with pizza delivery (he does get very stressed watching England).

My gut feeling is England must start well and not be to negative if they manage to get ahead in the game. Starting slowly like they did agaisnt USA and then Senegal would be a problem. Assuming that doesn't happen it is 50/50 who might score first (if its France it will be all over) and then 50/50 England blow a lead by playing negatively. Be delighted if England can deliver, but my brain says France at the respective prices. 1.83 France qualify and 2:1 France.
Pause Switch to Standard View England vs France World Cup qtr ITV
Show More
Report lfc1971 December 10, 2022 9:07 PM GMT
Never mind , just didn’t really have out and out goalscorers
Someone who will score 6 or 7 in the heat when they are really needed
Report mesmerised December 10, 2022 9:07 PM GMT
In the words of the late Claude from AFTV....it's time to go!
Report SontaranStratagem December 10, 2022 9:07 PM GMT
Went out like a wet fart

I think most will be over it already my brother doesn’t give a sh!t and he’s usually Ono England

They’ll never win another major tournament it’s obvious they’re chance had gone now
Report mesmerised December 10, 2022 9:08 PM GMT
The sad thing is, this was a bang average French side really, missing 4 key players, and we still can't beat them, every time we lose to the first team of caliber in any knockout tournament.
Report Racingqueen December 10, 2022 9:08 PM GMT
England dominated the play in the main but attacking wise they have no street smarts and never link up that well. Alot of their goals seem to be set pieces against the better teams.

Kane is a good striker but not top class and can be limited in some aspects

Saka was very good and could get better but needs to move to the next level

Foden is a disappointment. He has had plenty of off field distractions and doesnt seem to be making the step to the next level.

Didi Hammann has nailed it on Irish tv. France were average today. England find ways to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. Croatia, France and worst of all an awful Italian side at home.
Report mesmerised December 10, 2022 9:08 PM GMT
I say calibre, I mean named team.
Report GEESUSS December 10, 2022 9:09 PM GMT

Why the sad faces lads? It's only a game.............................................................
Report penzance December 10, 2022 9:09 PM GMT
Just got beat in a close enough game.
Still don't get the way we play in the 1st half.
Not to be.
Report roache December 10, 2022 9:09 PM GMT
Usual pattern of an England World cup,tonight i was not even dissappointed i have just got used to it since the 1970 World cup and gave up all hope after losing to Croatia in the last world cup in fact i will be collecting yet again as i always lay England to win the world cup wishing i would lose my money but England always fcuk it up, we could have the best team in the world and the best players in the world but we aint ever going to win it again becuase we do not have the right mentality to win a world cup.
Report SontaranStratagem December 10, 2022 9:09 PM GMT
Mes

Just pile money onto the team that’s good simple

It’s easy money

Took a bit last year but they duly obliged in the end
Report casemoney December 10, 2022 9:09 PM GMT
Thought England as Good as France ,Ref Useless TBH
Report SontaranStratagem December 10, 2022 9:10 PM GMT
France weren’t even good either, but you knew they’d win

Southgate set up as he always does it’s boring
Report SirNorbertClarke December 10, 2022 9:10 PM GMT
Pizza Hut have already signed a deal with Harry Kane
Report leazes67 December 10, 2022 9:12 PM GMT
Southgate should resign tonight,hasn't got an attacking bone in his body.
Report mesmerised December 10, 2022 9:12 PM GMT
This time he's hit Mars
Report Deptford December 10, 2022 9:12 PM GMT
Despite the ref only ourselves to blame, was there for the taking, no one else to blame
Report Des Pond December 10, 2022 9:12 PM GMT
It's incredible how often the draw seems to open up for Southgate, yet he still can't take advantage.
Report wondersobright December 10, 2022 9:13 PM GMT
rank bad referee omg neville
Report wondersobright December 10, 2022 9:13 PM GMT
how about rank bad analyst that's you
Report Timber December 10, 2022 9:15 PM GMT
They need to start playing bazball!
Report penzance December 10, 2022 9:16 PM GMT
Look a different team when they attack.
Report Storm Alert December 10, 2022 9:16 PM GMT
Final analysis, awful in the first half, but superior team in the 2nd half. Taking Saka off unfathomable and substitutions didn't work at all. All quite predictable really and a shame as they were up against the world champions.
Report hfink December 10, 2022 9:16 PM GMT
I don't think there would have been any guarantee of getting past Morocco. They've been a brick wall so far! Be interesting to see how France try to deal with them.
Report SontaranStratagem December 10, 2022 9:17 PM GMT
I’m not listening to the media they lost get over it

It’s always the shtick

Lose (usually with a rank z penalty) and then blame the ref

Boring

The fact is Engkand have the talent but not the coach or bottle simple as that
Report Des Pond December 10, 2022 9:17 PM GMT
i still can't believe that Kane ballooned a pen over. I would've sworn he would score.
Report SontaranStratagem December 10, 2022 9:18 PM GMT
That penalty was something totally out of this world Laugh

You can’t even begin to defend it

6 yards, a barn door and he misses it Laugh
Report Deptford December 10, 2022 9:18 PM GMT
Taking Saka off, dear me, he had the beating down that side,
Report Timber December 10, 2022 9:18 PM GMT

Dec 10, 2022 -- 9:17PM, SontaranStratagem wrote:

I’m not listening to the media they lost get over it It’s always the shtick Lose (usually with a rank z penalty) and then blame the ref Boring The fact is Engkand have the talent but not the coach or bottle simple as that

They need Baz Mccullum. 10 upfront and no **** given

Report LoyalHoncho December 10, 2022 9:19 PM GMT
Exactly Timber.  I agree.  Score more than the oppo., as opposed to trying to keep them out.
The Saka sub. was a stunner.  Didn't make an ounce of sense.
Report Timber December 10, 2022 9:19 PM GMT
I've never seen such terrible defending from the French, technically horrific
Report Ibrahima Sonko December 10, 2022 9:20 PM GMT
Saka was the best player on the pitch.
Report Des Pond December 10, 2022 9:20 PM GMT
Morocco have been so solid, I've been really impressed by them. France will be favourites, but if they defend like that again, I wouldn't rule out a shock.
Report Deptford December 10, 2022 9:20 PM GMT
Our defending not much better for winning goal, 3 round him
Report Timber December 10, 2022 9:20 PM GMT

Dec 10, 2022 -- 9:19PM, LoyalHoncho wrote:

Exactly Timber.

Report hfink December 10, 2022 9:21 PM GMT
I was shocked by the miss too, Des. I assumed it would be a carbon copy of his first pen, but I guess the pressure must be huge.
Report clacton December 10, 2022 9:22 PM GMT
Ivan Toney will show him how to take a pen on Boxing day
Report SontaranStratagem December 10, 2022 9:22 PM GMT
Morroco might have run their race but they deserve proper respect

They’ve played to their strengths and knocked out Spain and Portugal

England did their usual

Morroco can beat top nations England can’t Crazy
Report Ibrahima Sonko December 10, 2022 9:22 PM GMT
Kane was under untold pressure, harry maguire just had to mark his man.
Report casemoney December 10, 2022 9:23 PM GMT
Ref have to look at the 2nd Penalty Laugh Most blatant penalty I have ever Seen ,I magine if he had not Given it Grin

Ur right Dept every chance They looked no better than us ,Once again we did not get it done , Fook knows Sad

And Agree why pull SAKA Sad
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK December 10, 2022 9:23 PM GMT
Why are
Stones pan face so bad we need so many holding players
Report wondersobright December 10, 2022 9:23 PM GMT
who the **** are these 2 next to laura ffs
Report Deptford December 10, 2022 9:24 PM GMT
Hark at her, should someone else take the pen, fook me
Report wondersobright December 10, 2022 9:24 PM GMT
Laugh
Report wondersobright December 10, 2022 9:24 PM GMT
beggars belief doesn't it
Report Racingqueen December 10, 2022 9:25 PM GMT
Substitions were awful and stunk of desperation.

Saka should have stayed on. By a mile the biggest threat. Kane should have been off before Saka
Report snowynoon December 10, 2022 9:26 PM GMT
pretty silly comment from that Aluko bird ,shouldve let someone else take the second pen ,can you imagine if he hadnt taken it and the other guy had missed ,Southgate would have been lynched.
Report roache December 10, 2022 9:26 PM GMT
We ALWAYS lose to the top international teams in world cup knock out matches we are serial losers been going on since after 1966
Report Deptford December 10, 2022 9:26 PM GMT
It does, gutted but there you go, we lost, got me health and plenty of Champagne
Report Des Pond December 10, 2022 9:27 PM GMT
To give her credit, she did say that Bale should've been rested in Wales' second game. Laugh and she was right in a way. Mischief
Report penzance December 10, 2022 9:27 PM GMT
Personally think we have the players & talent,whether we
have the right manager's another question.
Report Ibrahima Sonko December 10, 2022 9:28 PM GMT
England have never beaten a top tier team on foreign soil.
Report 11kv December 10, 2022 9:28 PM GMT
Whis next for the hot seat ??÷
Report wondersobright December 10, 2022 9:28 PM GMT

Dec 10, 2022 -- 9:28PM, Ibrahima Sonko wrote:

can you remember last game they won when not odds on...long long time ago

Report SontaranStratagem December 10, 2022 9:29 PM GMT
It’s a disgusting. stat that ibrahima

It’s actually mental

Not a single win on foreign soil when it gets going properly
Report Des Pond December 10, 2022 9:29 PM GMT
At least they got further than Belgium, Germany and Spain.
Report SontaranStratagem December 10, 2022 9:30 PM GMT
No good des

It’s now been a poor tournament sorry

Quarters is no good
Report morpteh mackem December 10, 2022 9:30 PM GMT

beat germany 5 -1 in germany

Report tobermory December 10, 2022 9:30 PM GMT

Beat France in 1982 tbf

Report impossible123 December 10, 2022 9:30 PM GMT
Mr Southgate is merely a safe-pair of hands. But, he's reached his professional utmost with England; England will never win anything with him as manager.
Report wondersobright December 10, 2022 9:30 PM GMT

Dec 10, 2022 -- 9:30PM, SontaranStratagem wrote:

No good des It’s now been a poor tournament sorry Quarters is no good

about par for what they are imo

Report Ibrahima Sonko December 10, 2022 9:31 PM GMT
England did all right tonight, they had a go but had a weak link when it really mattered.

But we are all used to it.
Report Ibrahima Sonko December 10, 2022 9:32 PM GMT
3-1 tobes, think i read that earlier. my mistake but the record is still poor.
Report roache December 10, 2022 9:32 PM GMT
We have beaten Argentina on foreign soil in a World cup match however it was a group game when Beckham scored the penalty so i think you will find Argentina are a top tier team
Report Wallflower December 10, 2022 9:32 PM GMT
How have they had a good tournament?Shocked

Beat:  Wales, Iran, Senegal
Drew:  USA
Lost:  France

Nowt special
Report Ibrahima Sonko December 10, 2022 9:32 PM GMT
mm in a knock out tournament.
Report FOYLESWAR December 10, 2022 9:33 PM GMT
sh it happens ,we looked the better team but its small margins and thats how it goes ....not as if we aint used to it..........euros next and we should have a big chance in that .
Report brain dead jockeys December 10, 2022 9:34 PM GMT
simon jordan says whenever england meet a decent team who is nearly their equal, they lose and once again hes right
Report sickoflayinwinners December 10, 2022 9:35 PM GMT
england are a couple of  good centre halves away from  being a match for anyone.if we had  the said centre halves we  could drop  one of the holding  midfielders and play another flair player.geroud  couldn't be stripped by mcguire or stones  the only time france got a decent cross in
Report roache December 10, 2022 9:36 PM GMT
Agreed Wallflower and when you look at the stats from after 66 of always losing in knock out games to the big boys its actually quite frightening that we are so ****
Report roache December 10, 2022 9:38 PM GMT
56 years of failure since 66 a very sobering thought Cry
Report mega88 December 10, 2022 9:39 PM GMT
Giroud is at his best, magic world cup for him
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 10, 2022 9:40 PM GMT
Get a better, more clued up manager who can retain Southgates team spirit.
Report wondersobright December 10, 2022 9:48 PM GMT
agree sick...best centre half on club form flown home early seems a lot going on with him or in his life unfortunately
Report thelatarps December 10, 2022 9:49 PM GMT
Got to laugh at these 'Saka is 21, Bellingham is 19 etc' threads.
This is as good as it gets boys.
They aint getting any better
Report shiny new shoes please December 10, 2022 9:57 PM GMT
Morroco can beat top nations England can’t Wink
England talk the talk,  but rarely walk the walk
Fearless
Report Des Pond December 10, 2022 10:02 PM GMT
I've changed channel to watch "Not going Out" on Dave ja vu
Report roache December 10, 2022 10:03 PM GMT
Please can we have a route to the final without coming up against any of the big boys like Brazil,Argentina,Germany,Italy,France in knock out matches Grin

Oh hang on didnt that happen in Russia Shocked and we still fcuked it up Cry
Report Geesyerdosh December 10, 2022 10:06 PM GMT
Southgate - too nice, lacks winning instinct

Kane - diving cheat every game, karma just paid a visit

Happy Days Laugh
Report cricketnut2 December 10, 2022 10:10 PM GMT
In my opinion, this is the best England side since 1966, although football has moved an awful lot forwards since the mid 60's. We played very well this evening, after a slow start and lost to the current World Champions, its pointless to change a manager, because it would just mean us trying to find another English manager, who may not be as good, or a foreign manager, which we don't really want.
Report MJK December 10, 2022 10:12 PM GMT
Could Pickford have caught the Giroud shot which led to the corner for the goal?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 10, 2022 10:21 PM GMT
Pickford doesn't come for crosses.(not many, anyway)

Never has done, likely never will, hes
usually a good shot stopper but that first goal
was just teasingly curling away from him.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- December 10, 2022 10:23 PM GMT
He saved in middle of goal and would not
See % in trying to catch or palm out.
Report badjoe December 10, 2022 10:24 PM GMT
Report sageform December 11, 2022 8:40 AM GMT
As I expected, it was decided by just a handful of key moments between 2 evenly matched sides. What tipped the balance for me was the amount of time that England spent disputing decisions by the officials. The first goal was due to the fact that England were distracted by what they thought was a foul. It is natural for a referee to be hostile to a team that are constantly in his face and complaining. Many teams do it and they usually get the worst of marginal decisions as the referee gets more and more hostile to them. Whether or not England had a case (and they probably did) is not the point. if you are thinking about a poor call by the ref you are not concentrating on the game. England are not usually the culprits in this and it was very disappointing that they were in the "hard done by" mindset for nearly all of the first half.
Report Deptford December 11, 2022 8:55 AM GMT
Harry Kane is to enter a beauty contest, he is going as Miss Penalty
Report Storm Alert December 11, 2022 9:19 AM GMT
Still can't believe Harry Kane missed that penalty, especially as he knows Lloris is gash at saving penalities. Even Messi misses penalties though. England were looking stronger than France in the 2nd half and French players celebration at the end suggest knew that was a big result. I'm certain they will beat Morocco in the semi-final.
Report thelatarps December 11, 2022 9:19 AM GMT
Harry Kane.
There hasnt a bigger diver in the EPL these past 7 or 8 years. He is the diver's diver.
In fact in europe, only a Juventus era Paolo Dybala would come anywhere near him for his proclivity to win a pen.
How utterly ironic that the spot kick has been his downfall.

Liverpool fans, Arsenal fans, you know I am right.

IF there has been one major failing with Southgate it has been his total faith in Kane. In all circumstances. Even when he is a marginal figure in the game.
Contrast this with Sarina Wiegman. The woman brought in to get the Lionesses over the line. Finally.
She had no truck with the bloated reputations of Ellen White and Fran Kirby and subbed them off. Regularly, around the hour mark.

Kane, it is clear is not a no.9. He is a false 9. False 9s need options to work with them. That more often than not means pace. Last night Saka was the only option and he spent half his night looking after the left back. So that Kyle Walker could 'mark Mbappe out of the game'. As the pitiful English sports media would have it.

What was needed last night was the pace of Rashford. An in form lightning quick forward.
Instead England had 57% ball. Slow possession and all they could offer was going down for penalties. The supposed biased Ref gave them two and denied France at least one stonewaller.

SOuthgate has hung his hat on Kane. Its clear he isnt going to change that.
Any continuance of that policy has to be viewed as madness..
Report Racingqueen December 11, 2022 10:22 AM GMT
Great point ^

if you look at the "Big" teams (Not even accounting for games Eng have lost against supposedly weaker opposition), Kanes last open play goal for England was against Germany in the last 16 of the Euros. If you look at his record, its awful from open play against bigger teams.

He is massively over rated. I said last year Spurs should have sold him to City and rebuilt with the 150m potentially received

I think Rashford is a massively over rated player but can see your point re pace especially when the French defence looked so awful dealing with runners in or around the box. Even Wilson would have been a better option as he is in great form for Newcastle.

The attacking players for England have never clicked under Southgate. Sterling has been very average as well. (Have they clicked under anyone in recent memory?!)
Report impossible123 December 11, 2022 10:47 AM GMT
Kane was always going to miss a penalty, why? He put them away regularly thus he'd miss one some time just unfortunate it'd to be in the 1/4 Final of a World Cup. I've have Kane to take a penalty before anyone else in England or the rest of the world anytime!

Mr Southgate is a different matter. He's a loser. His team will never win anything; promising, with potential but never delivers at the business end repeatedly, why? He's lacking astuteness and the psychology to win which is refelected in his players.

Same sh1t, different day!!
Report brigust1 December 11, 2022 10:51 AM GMT
I have to agree with a lot of the points raised here. I though Kane dived too easily and so many times England seemed to be trying to get free kicks and penalties. That appeared to be their strategy. France, on the other hand wanted to score goals.
Harry Maguire spent ages chasing around claiming all sorts when the rest of the time he was wrapped around Giroud.
Report tantpis December 11, 2022 12:09 PM GMT
France also had a lot of injuries,so was not playing their best team
Report spyker December 11, 2022 1:18 PM GMT
France aren't great, neither are any of the other teams left in, Eng prob the most adventurous which is what you lot called for (most goals scored etc) and were just unlucky last night being by a fair bit the better team (stats and how it looked). They just don't win enough games they should do when on top - which is a pretty English thing in football's history!
Report spyker December 11, 2022 1:21 PM GMT
And anybody that thinks Eng are not historically a 1/4-1/2 level of team needs to look at the record going back forever!
Report brigust1 December 11, 2022 1:22 PM GMT
What is it they say about statistics? I thought France were much the classier side and the goals they scored showed through. And I backed England.
Report SlippyBlue December 11, 2022 1:52 PM GMT
Of Kane I've seen him at close quarters at our place and last season Sky were doing their "evens from 1/3" for Kane to have a shot on target.

Not only did he not do that he never had any shot, on target or off. He was just generally trotting around not doing very much all afternoon.
Report REDROB December 11, 2022 1:55 PM GMT
Not the first pen Kanes missed for England (4 or 5) & not the first time he’s took 2 in one game for England and put the 2nd one over the bar. More than a third of his goals for England been from the spot, be tragic if he becomes outright top scorer on the strength of his pens. Rooney only took 7 and scored 7.
Report MJK December 11, 2022 1:56 PM GMT
Should have got this fella to take the peno

https://youtu.be/6ptHxStQJyg
Report LoyalHoncho December 12, 2022 11:25 AM GMT
In full agreement here about Maguire brigust.  He is simply third rate.
He ( Maguire ) and Kane should have buried France - it really is as simple as that.
Big players do it in big matches - never has that cliche been so proved as the other night.
Report roache December 13, 2022 11:32 PM GMT
For the last 2 seasons Kane has stopped being a centre forward and doing what he was good at making shooting chances for himself and firing off shots with either foot but for some reason since the arrival of Mourinho at Spurs he now thinks he is some kind of Glen Hoddle dropping deeper and deeper,England needed there centre forward to be stretching defences using pace to run in behind them and leave the midfield players to make the passes not some plodding slow centre forward always playing in front of the defenders well away from the danger area that we had in Kane.
Report Racingqueen December 14, 2022 1:30 AM GMT
Couple of problems with England

Firstly, They are professional losers.....Look how the media compare winners like Ronaldo and Mourinho. They paint them as villians and laud the likes of Southgate. When they lose its always a sob story about how tough it mush be for the players etc... Compare to a team with a winning history like Real Madrid where you are shown the door as soon as it becomes obvious you are not up to it.

Secondly, whilst most media/fans look at the attack and rightly so in some way. No body mentions the defence. Pickford, Maguire and Shaw are mid table level. Not once in their careers have they been top class even for a few games. They are consistently average. England cannot keep clean sheets against better teams.For all the talk about how defensive Southgate set them up, they cannot keep clean sheets when it matters.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com