Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK
14 May 22 06:45
| Topic/replies: 21,796 | Blogger: FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK's blog
Was about 11.30 ish on the coach’s
Interviews previews whole afternoon build up to the game
Now don’t give moneys who wins and rather be painting fence panels or something other
Sad how fa cup died for Neutral fan

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 53
By:
tobermory
When: 14 May 22 06:50
Yeah.

Used to be on BBC & ITV, so they would try to get in front of each other by starting the broadcast earlier.

Was the only club game on live all season ( other than a European final), so main reason it was special. Also Wembley was special. Not so much when the teams have just played the semis there.
By:
lovegod
When: 14 May 22 07:11
Really miss It's a Cup Final Knockout.
By:
sparrow
When: 14 May 22 09:18
The 1953 final was the one that I will always remember and there was no ITV then but just the BBC.  The so called Matthews final despite Mortensen scoring a hat trick.

From wikipedia.......The match was considered the first major TV audience for a sporting event. Televisions had been bought or rented by many households for the forthcoming Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. On Radio the match was broadcast in full on the BBC World Service and the second half on the domestic Light Programme. After this final proved to be so popular, the Cup Final was given its own standalone slot and broadcast in full on TV and radio.
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 14 May 22 09:53
bring back freddie starr
By:
raspberrybottom
When: 14 May 22 09:59
Can remember it starting about 8.30 am at the team hotels seeing them have breakfast and all that.

Was usually a sporting edition of "It's A Knockout" in there somewhere.

The "Road To The Final" bit showing highlights.

On the coaches to the ground waving at fans.

Players seemed much more approachable then (?)

Celebrities in the bars at Wembley pre-game

Maybe it was an age thing - young kids loving all of it - all seems very hum-drum now. Plain
By:
sparrow
When: 14 May 22 10:12
So very true, raspberry. I dont even bother watch to it now and couldn't tell you who had won it from one year to the next.
By:
The Dragon
When: 14 May 22 13:31
Yes it used to be a massive day for everyone.

I remember us all piling arounf to my m8 hose to watch the Leeds V chelsea final in Colour . how times have changed
By:
TameTheTiger
When: 14 May 22 13:44
Imagine if Everton had reached the final today, and would have to field a weakened team in the final due to more important league games coming up. Or Huddersfield in the final against Man City, with Huddersfield resting players due to the play off semi coming up
By:
11kv
When: 14 May 22 14:08
Messed up when forced to play the semis at Wembley
By:
roache
When: 14 May 22 22:19
50 years ago the team winning the cup final after a night of celebrations were made to play a destiny defining league game on the Monday night with the double at stake, how times have changed
By:
jimnast
When: 16 May 22 07:41
Good morning the dragon

You mention the 1970 cup final probably my favourite cup final although I support neither Chelsea or Leeds ,like you I went round to somebody else house to watch the game in colour it was my dads friends house there were loads of his mates there who were all city fans (Manchester) as you will remember the game ended as a 2all draw ,so come the brutal reply the following Thursday we all went around again but this time we watched most of the game with the volume turned down and the wireless on .

Why would that be ?
By:
jimnast
When: 16 May 22 07:54
Like most males  50 plus it was the day I looked forward most in the year no matter who was in the final so many great memories,Jim Montgomerys save ,Rickie villa goal,the battle at old Trafford in 1970,Charlie George celebration Bobby Moore leading out Fulham,loads more as well ,the first time I went to the cup final was 1976 incredibly I remember it much more fondly than 77 , I was just so happy to have been there for the first time.like many it now has little appeal to me no longer is the date in my calendar,however I must say watching the lockdown final between arsenal and Chelsea saddened me a lot to see nobody there to watch the game live so I suppose I still have some affection for cup final day.
By:
rommel
When: 16 May 22 09:39
the fa dismantled the magic of it brick by brick by brick-all the traditions and history,the draw(moved it),the semis moved to wembley.cynical moneygrabbing move(was a neutral ground convenient for both teams),one year man utd werent even in it(world club cup i think,japan?,not a dig at utd,thought they were leaned on/tricked/conned).it was magic cos we all thought it was magic,every  team/club/player/fan bought into it,a giant killing really was.cos every team was playing their best team(ok some of the bigger teams might rest a star but he'd be on the  bench),now you have tier 1 2 and 3rd tier teams resting numerous players....
By:
rommel
When: 16 May 22 09:40
..they even moved the kick off time
By:
jimnast
When: 16 May 22 10:15
Yes Rommel the semi finals on a neutral ground were much better once your team knew who they were playing the ground would be announced a few hours later it to was always something to look forward to ,and yes the kick of time .
By:
jimnast
When: 16 May 22 10:21
The extended replays are also missed including cup final replays ,spurs city and Chelsea Leeds were great cup final replays,
By:
sparrow
When: 16 May 22 10:58
Talking of replays how about the 1979 clash between Sheffield Wednesday and Arsenal which resulted in five games after the four replays.

Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal – this Third Round FA Cup clash at a snowy Hillsborough in January 1979 was the first of a series of five games between Division Three side Wednesday and First Division Arsenal. At the time, Cup ties were played to the death, without penalty shoot-outs. It took nine hours of football and four replays, three of them going to extra time, to separate the two teams. The last three fixtures were played at Leicester’s Filbert Street.

Arsenal were unhappy about the state of the Hillsborough pitch, with their manager Terry Neill declaring it the worst he’d ever seen, and believing it was unsafe. However after making it through this gruelling tie, the Gunners went on to lift the Cup at Wembley in May with a dramatic 3-2 win over Manchester United. The Sheffield Wednesday side was managed by 1966 World Cup winner Jack Charlton, before his successful spell as Republic of Ireland manager, during which he took them to their first major tournaments, the 1988 European Championship and the World Cups of 1990 and 1994.
By:
sparrow
When: 16 May 22 11:00
Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough stadium before the 1979 FA Cup tie with Arsenal
By:
rommel
When: 16 May 22 11:24
always thought the final replays were anti-climactic(but i bet not to the 2 sets of fans);other rounds.some replays went on and on but it only proved its worth,both teams were still busting a gut to get thru
By:
rommel
When: 16 May 22 11:26
i knew i had it in the back of my head somewhere about one tie that just went on and ffff on,you probs nailed it haha
By:
rommel
When: 16 May 22 11:31
haha thats great.....Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal – this Third Round FA Cup clash at a snowy Hillsborough in January 1979 was the first of a series of five games between Division Three side Wednesday and First Division Arsenal. At the time, Cup ties were played to the death, without penalty shoot-outs. It took nine hours of football and four replays, three of them going to extra time, to separate the two teams. The last three fixtures were played at Leicester’s Filbert Street.
By:
panglima
When: 16 May 22 12:49
I went to one of those Arsenal, Sheff Wed replays, yes it was another draw Crazy

Can recall all the winners of the 60's & 70's & even 80's, after that the gloss seemed to disappear from the comp, I thought at the time it was an age thing but as the years have gone on its irrelevance in the football calendar is a sign of the times & no I could not tell you the last 10 winners of the FA Cup.
By:
The Knight
When: 17 May 22 10:17
So true what most are saying on here about Cup Final Day.

My first live and to date only, final was 1976 West Ham v Fulham.

Terrible anti-climax and I would have rather been at home lapping up all the TV stuff.

Mind you, it was a poor game and the West Ham yob element wrecked it for the rest of the fans when they tried to invade the pitch at the end and then climbed up into the old scoreboard and were urinating on the rest of us!

Players would not bring the cup to their own end (quite rightly) and that made sure the day was a poor experience. That and, of course, how Wembley was a dump!!
By:
FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK
When: 17 May 22 14:13
1975 Westham cup final
What’s was terrible about it
Was the fact Bobby was playing for Fulham
By:
sparrow
When: 17 May 22 14:27
What was terrible fattie was that I had booked a holiday many months before so missed it altogether.  Only found it we won 2 days later after buying a paper in New York. Plain
By:
The Knight
When: 18 May 22 09:55
..should have read 1975 final not 1976!!
By:
The Knight
When: 18 May 22 09:59
Actually, thinking about the 1975 final some more:

Does anyone know what record Fulham hold from the 1975 FA Cup competition?

At least, I think it is a record having read it somewhere obscure online. But I imagine it is a record given its nature.
By:
jimnast
When: 18 May 22 14:00
I remember going to the replay at Maine road the knight in the semi final Fulham scored in what was almost the last kick of the game on that basis I am going to guess all there games went to a replay,I do know it was the year Alan Taylor scored in every round.
By:
sparrow
When: 18 May 22 14:28
jimnast....Alan Taylor West Ham 1975
By:
penzance
When: 18 May 22 14:31
Drawn away every round?
By:
lovegod
When: 18 May 22 16:20
The Fulham question, was it they never played outside London?
By:
lovegod
When: 18 May 22 16:21
Oops just seen Gymnasts post so rules my answer out.
By:
jimnast
When: 18 May 22 17:17
That’s Right sparrow did he sign from Rochdale ?
By:
sparrow
When: 18 May 22 18:13
He did jimnast for £40,000 which was cheapish even then as I remember.
By:
sparrow
When: 18 May 22 18:17
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/may/01-may/ploughing-past-tractor-boys-alan-taylor-shoots-west-ham-past-bobby
By:
The Knight
When: 18 May 22 18:59
The answer to my question is that no team from the top 2 divisions of English football ever played as many games in getting through to the final. Replays and second replays etc.

I don't know for sure this is correct but looking at their path to the final it feels like it must be.

As for West Ham, I went to the semi final at Villa Park when they drew nil nil with Ipswich. Was at the Holt end and experienced what I think was one of the primary causes of the Hillsborough tragedy 13 years later.

Can't post about it though  as would be slaughtered for my views. Pity though nobody in authority has ever had the sense to see what can happen with all ticket matches and then some illegal bit of entreneurship...and I don't mean hookey tickets either.
By:
sparrow
When: 18 May 22 21:27
The Knight...... Arsenal played 11 games to reach the 1978/ 1979 season Cup Final where they beat Man Utd.  Is there any team that beat that record?

Arsenal entered the FA Cup in the third round proper, in which they were drawn to face Sheffield Wednesday.

6 January 1979Third round    Sheffield Wednesday    1–1    Arsenal    Sheffield
9 January 1979Third round replay    Arsenal    1–1    Sheffield Wednesday    London
15 January 1979Third round 2nd replay    Sheffield Wednesday    2–2 (aet)    Arsenal    Leicester
17 January 1979Third round 3rd replay    Arsenal    3–3 (aet)    Sheffield Wednesday    Leicester
22 January 1979Third round 4th replay    Sheffield Wednesday    0–2    Arsenal    Leicester
27 January 1979Fourth round    Arsenal    2–0    Notts County    London
26 February 1979Fifth round    Nottingham Forest    0–1    Arsenal    Nottingham
19 March 1979Sixth round    Southampton    1–1    Arsenal    Southampton
21 March 1979Sixth round replay    Arsenal    2–0    Southampton    London
28 April 1979Semi-Final    Arsenal    2–0    Wolverhampton Wanderers    Birmingham
12 May 1979Final    Arsenal    3–2    Manchester United    London
By:
The Knight
When: 18 May 22 21:45
sparrow, If you count the games you have posted for Arsenal in 1978/79, they played 10 games to reach final - 11 with the final.

In 1974/1975, Fulham played 11 games to reach final, with final they played 12 in total.

Hence, that's why I believe 11 to REACH the final is a record.
By:
sparrow
When: 18 May 22 21:58
Oh right, Knight.  I never knew Fulham played so many that year despite playing my own team West Ham in the Final. And yet Arsenal played 5 in the 3rd round alone!
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com