Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sparrow
15 Apr 22 11:24
| Topic/replies: 44,680 | Blogger: sparrow's blog
Gallagher robbed of big occasion
Football is full of silly rules that help the bigger clubs hold power over the smaller ones. For example, Conor Gallagher cannot play in an FA Cup semi-final despite helping Crystal Palace through each round to Wembley, purely because he is owned by Chelsea, a club that let him leave in the summer as they did not want to use him. They will not permit him to play. If Chelsea are willing to loan out a player, they should do so at their own risk. Gallagher has been a standout performer all season for Patrick Vieira, the manager helping improve him as a player, giving him experience and increasing his value. All of which help Chelsea in the long run. If Gallagher had been allowed to play and scored the winner for Palace, that is a danger Chelsea should have had to live with. Surely the point of sending Gallagher out is for him to experience big occasions and deal with them?
Pause Switch to Standard View Gallagher robbed of big occasion...
Show More
Report haplessamatuer April 15, 2022 12:12 PM BST
Dont Chelsea have about 25 players out on loan
Report snowynoon April 15, 2022 12:21 PM BST
Feel sorry for Gallagher,but ,it is understandable that clubs put a clause in when putting players out on loan that they cant play against them .He is a Chelsea employee ,if he missed an open goal against them in the last minute for example ,all kinds of accusations would be made .
Report sparrow April 15, 2022 12:22 PM BST
I don't know the exact number hapless but I think its ridiculous that they are allowed to loan out players to teams in the same league. They are influencing games that can only help their league position. Gallagher for example scored twice against West Ham earlier this season.
Report tobermory April 15, 2022 12:41 PM BST
A joke that clubs can hoard players as Chelsea do.

Do Palace get a rebate on whatever % of Gallagher's wage they were paying.

In UEFA competitions this 'you can't pick him against us' clause was scrapped 20 years ago I think.
Report tobermory April 15, 2022 12:43 PM BST
Fernando Morientes scored for Monaco to knock Real Madrid out of the Champions League, while he was on loan from Real Madrid.

That was in 2004.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- April 15, 2022 1:42 PM BST
He's done rather well this year.

The rule is there to stop people thinking there's been a fix.

It's sad it hasn't been waived to let him play.

Let's hope he gets to play at Wembley in the final!
Report SlippyBlue April 15, 2022 4:16 PM BST
Indeed it's a very frustrating set of rules denying Gallagher the opportunity to play at Wembley for us but we knew this would happen if we did draw Chelsea in the semis so not much point getting too bothered about it.

He's an absolutely stand out in our team this season and having seen him at close quarters in every home game I can confidently say that he'll have plenty more big occasions to look forward to at Wembley during his career. The bloke has got a Ferrari engine to say the very least and he does seem to enjoy playing for Palace and the supporters love him most get as well.

My guess is that he'll be going back to Chelsea at some stage as I don't see S.P. stumping up the £50 million or whatever it may be to keep him long term so I just pray we can take care of Chelsea on Sunday so he gets a cup final with us. I was joshing with T.D. a month or so ago that a Palace v Liverpool final would be rather cool.

Here's hoping that does happen.
Report spyker April 15, 2022 8:02 PM BST
Chelsea been abusing this rule for years. Would they not buy players they don't need and then loan them out if the rule was changed and they had to be allowed to play against them? No, they would still buy players just so others can't (I know Gallagher isn't 1 of these) and they would get a mysterious injury in the lead up to the game.
Report knot in wood April 15, 2022 8:02 PM BST
both clubs knew the rules/contract when he went to palace and i'm pretty sure chelsea would have taken him back in the january transfer window if they had a choice,looking foreward to seeing him back at stamford bridge next season.

best of luck to palace on sunday(they wont get a better chance of beating this chelsea side) but my feeling is chelsea will still be slightly too strong for them(i've been wrong before)
Report cpfc4me April 15, 2022 8:24 PM BST
As Slippy said, we knew the rules so no point complaining about it.

He'll just have to wait four weeks before playing for us at Wembley. Not a big deal.
Report knot in wood April 15, 2022 8:33 PM BST
you can have 16-1 with spoilsports for him to score the 1st goal on sunday Laugh, perhaps they know something we don't.

could disguise him as christian benteke or will hughes more a likeness.
Report lurka April 15, 2022 10:53 PM BST
It's totally up to Chelsea and they can give permission for him to play but won't. There is no rule against it in the FA cup.

Loan players should be allowed to play against anyone. But the general rule is there to stop any chance of a loan player being tapped up to play poorly against his parent club.
Report lovegod April 16, 2022 7:30 AM BST
Maybe the rules should be changed so that these big clubs can only loan out say 5 players.

At the moment they trawl up all the talent and then farm them out. If they couldn't do this then maybe the smaller clubs could get these players.
Report sparrow April 16, 2022 9:01 AM BST
The first change to the rules has to be that players cannot be loaned to clubs in the same league. The idea that loan players can influence their parent clubs position in the league by their performances for another team is clearly wrong and should never have been allowed.
Report Aspro April 16, 2022 9:22 AM BST
On reflection I would have to agree with that sparrow. If a club wants them to have top flight experience then they can always go abroad
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com