Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
SlippyBlue
16 Jan 22 12:01
| Topic/replies: 32,227 | Blogger: SlippyBlue's blog
Palace have chipped in for all Hartlepool supporters going to the cup tie on Saturday 5th February, at the holy grail of modern football,  namely Selhurst Park.
The game will not be televised which is a bit of a surprise, to me anyway, so no t.v.  revenue being shelled out.

A return coach trip will cost just £12.50 for the Hartlepool massive, what a nice touch that is.

COYP.
Pause Switch to Standard View Crystal Palace subsidies Hartlepool...
Show More
Report brentford January 16, 2022 12:05 PM GMT
good stuff...could do with a bit more solidarity between football fans..especially attending ones...
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- January 16, 2022 12:07 PM GMT
Brilliant stuff from Palace, slippy.
Report SlippyBlue January 16, 2022 12:11 PM GMT
It was y-h-t-l, a really lovely gesture indeed.
I'm on a C.P.F.C.  forum and a few of the Hartlepool lads have made comments on there saying the same. Happy
Report Tiger Tiger January 16, 2022 12:44 PM GMT
Well done Palace, lovely gesture.
Report The Dragon January 16, 2022 2:33 PM GMT
total respectCool
Report sparrow January 16, 2022 4:00 PM GMT
An example to all other clubs and their supporters.  Well done Palace.
Report 11kv January 16, 2022 4:37 PM GMT
Slippy forgot to say its a 16 seater mini bus coming down....Devil
Report sofaking January 16, 2022 5:07 PM GMT
Well done Palace. Your Blue Peter batch is on its way. Happy
Report sofaking January 16, 2022 5:08 PM GMT
badge*
Report The Leopard January 16, 2022 7:54 PM GMT
Bit of an insult to the Hartlepool fans....implying they can't afford themselves.....my parents are from near Hartlepool
Report The Leopard January 16, 2022 8:04 PM GMT
*afford it
Report The Leopard January 16, 2022 8:05 PM GMT
They don't need you southerners charity !
Report themightymac January 16, 2022 8:27 PM GMT
The Leopard LaughLaugh
Report themightymac January 16, 2022 8:31 PM GMT
Stelling, the token Pool fan, has booked a seat Crazy

...... he probably booked the bus and sold seats on for £15 each.
Report MC Roller January 16, 2022 8:43 PM GMT
Nice gesture. One of our ex players at Aberdeen (Neale Cooper) sadly died in a fall some years back. He was a manager at Hartlepool, and is held in high regard there.

I read some of the tributes from their fans, I had tears in my eyes. A class bunch indeed.

I hope they have a great day.
Report themightymac January 16, 2022 9:24 PM GMT
I never knew that Neale had sadly passed away. Sorry to hear that MC.

Good folk are the Monkey Hangers.
Report SlippyBlue January 17, 2022 11:19 AM GMT
You have got to laugh, when I posted this light hearted, little feel good thread, I re-read it to check for spelling mistakes. I'm like that, a bit fussy about such things.

Anyway, in my head I was then wondering if someone would say "stick your charity up your 'arris" or words to that effect. I made it a 2/1 chance.

Step forward... The Leopard. Laugh
Report sparrow January 17, 2022 11:31 AM GMT
Grin
Report HallGreenSpy January 17, 2022 12:39 PM GMT
Laugh

Nice touch by Palace.
Report The Leopard January 17, 2022 3:05 PM GMT
Wink
Report The Leopard January 17, 2022 3:21 PM GMT
"Monkey hanger" is a colloquial nickname by which people from the town of Hartlepool, England are sometimes known.[1]

According to local folklore, the term originates from an incident in which a monkey was hanged in the town of Hartlepool, England. During the Napoleonic Wars, a French chasse-marée was wrecked in a storm off the coast of Hartlepool.

The only survivor from the ship was a monkey, allegedly dressed in a French Army uniform to provide amusement for the crew. On finding the monkey on the beach, a group of locals decided to hold an impromptu trial. Because the monkey was unable to answer their questions, and because they had seen neither a monkey nor a Frenchman before, they concluded that the monkey must be a French spy.[2]

Being found guilty, the animal was duly sentenced to death and summarily hanged on the beach.
An alternative theory is that it was a young boy who was hanged by the locals. The term "powder monkey" was commonly used at the time for boys employed on naval warships to prime the cannon with gunpowder.[3]

The story may also have its origins in the rivalry between the small coastal village of Hartlepool and the growing industrial town of West Hartlepool, based around the docks. The comic song may have been popular in one of the West Hartlepool's music halls, where the audience would have enjoyed poking fun at the Hartlepool "yokels" who hanged the monkey.[citation needed]

An earlier and remarkably similar monkey-hanging legend, with a similar associated song, refers to the inhabitants of Boddam, Aberdeenshire.[4] With comparable lyrics and scansion ("And the Boddamers hung the Monkey, O"), it is plausible that 19th-century Tyneside concert hall songwriter and performer, Ned Corvan, heard and adapted the song while travelling in the Scottish Lowlands with Blind Willie Purvis.
Report themightymac January 17, 2022 10:31 PM GMT
Stingy Bs could have paid the full fare. One never does charity in halves. Crazy
Report themightymac January 17, 2022 10:59 PM GMT
Monkey Hangers will pay full return bus fare for the Palace fans for the Replay.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com