Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
themightymac
05 Nov 21 16:46
| Topic/replies: 31,333 | Blogger: themightymac's blog
Who is the best goalkeeper that you have ever seen?

One nominee only please.

I`ll start.

Sepp Maier (Bayern Munich & West Germany)

Had the honour of watching him live on at least half a dozen occasions and he was the greatest I`ve ever seen.

Not saying he was the best ever, the question is the best one has seen.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 82
By:
second again
When: 05 Nov 21 16:53
Gianuigi Buffon for me.
By:
TameTheTiger
When: 05 Nov 21 17:04
Ray Clemence playing for Liverpool
By:
The Dragon
When: 05 Nov 21 17:08
if its best ever seen then that limits the choice . Shilton for me class act and very underestimated.

Honurable metions to Peter Schmiechel,Jim Montgomery that save!!!, Gary Sprake (made some amazing saves at Anfield) Peter Bonetti not- never forgiven him for 1970 world cup v West Germany)
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 05 Nov 21 17:08
I thought Gordon Banks but
the more I watched the more
I thought it was Pat Jennings.

Buffon was great, but the games changed
since banks/jennings

And the new Italian keeper Donnarumma looks good
of the current crop,.. Time will tell.
By:
Lance in France
When: 05 Nov 21 17:28
I'm with the above poster - Pat Jennings
By:
Scamp the man
When: 05 Nov 21 17:29
Pat Jennings the best i ever seen ...watched him most home games for 5/6 years before he went to Arsenal
By:
LesterLad
When: 05 Nov 21 18:26
Shilton as a youngster at Leicester, unbelievable.
By:
FatPunt
When: 05 Nov 21 18:29
Peter Schmeichel and I'm not even a Utd fan.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 05 Nov 21 18:42
Paddy Cullen
By:
REDROB
When: 05 Nov 21 18:42
Schmiechel.

Best brit Pat Jennings.
By:
themightymac
When: 05 Nov 21 18:54

They say this chap was the best but I have never seen him playing, apart from on tv.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 05 Nov 21 19:04
Lev yashin? He changed the
way goalies played.
By:
Tiger Tiger
When: 05 Nov 21 19:06
1. Lev Yashin
2. Dino Zoff
3. Gordon Banks.
By:
themightymac
When: 05 Nov 21 19:09
Correct yhtl.

I remember on This Is Your Life for Gordon Banks they said that Mr Yashin had recently lost a leg and couldn`t make it so appeared via a video link. Then near the end he appeared from behind a curtain with Eamonn Andrews saying, "Surprise, surprise Gordon. Lev Yashin has hopped on a plane and is here".
By:
themightymac
When: 05 Nov 21 19:10
He was a fantastic keeper indeed.
By:
rommel
When: 05 Nov 21 19:11
gota have decent name to be a goalie,simon shotstopper is underrated for bognor,chris cleansheet at dover is great
By:
akabula
When: 05 Nov 21 19:24
Pat Jennings.
In Scotland it would be Andy Goram.
By:
Scamp the man
When: 05 Nov 21 19:28
Andy Goram ...still had the best football chant ever ..'there's only two Andy Goram's
By:
Scamp the man
Andy Goram ...still had the best football chant ever ..'there's only two Andy Goram's
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
Lol
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
Lol
By:
akabula
When: 05 Nov 21 19:30
Laugh
By:
akabula
When: 05 Nov 21 19:30
Laugh
By:
FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK
When: 05 Nov 21 20:04
Oliver Kahn was the best IMO
By:
FatPunt
When: 05 Nov 21 20:30
I would recommend 'The Outsider' by Jonathan Wilson. A brilliant read that covers this subject. Anything by Wilson is a must-read, to be honest.
By:
sixtwosix
When: 05 Nov 21 21:37
Andy Goram was a superb keeper ....at 18 he was Oldham's first choice keeper....he got lots of practice in those days.

For me , Peter Shilton in the late 70s early 80s is best keeper I have seen.
By:
sparrow
When: 05 Nov 21 22:20
As has been said earlier Lev Yashin has to be up there as an all time great.
By:
LOU MACARIS TARTAN B
When: 06 Nov 21 00:16
Jennings was great but surely Schmeichel was just unbelievable and must be the best ever.
By:
Capt__F
When: 06 Nov 21 00:28
close

but his manager let him down
By:
antony_27
When: 06 Nov 21 17:15
Never saw him play but Bert Trautmann must be one of the all time greats for playing on in that Cup Final with a busted neck Grin
By:
sparrow
When: 06 Nov 21 18:22
I remember Trautmann in that final so well.  Just an incredible feat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceYW9YpqN10
By:
themightymac
When: 06 Nov 21 19:22
Was he not a POW during the war and stayed in UK when it finished?
By:
antony_27
When: 06 Nov 21 20:36
There was a film released at the cinema in 2018 about Bert Trautmann ironically called 'The Keeper' has anyone on here ever seen it?
By:
sparrow
When: 06 Nov 21 20:38
Yes he was mac.
By:
sparrow
When: 06 Nov 21 20:40
Bernhard Carl "Bert" Trautmann EK OBE BVO (22 October 1923 – 19 July 2013) was a German professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper for Manchester City from 1949 to 1964.

In August 1933, he joined the Jungvolk, the junior section of the Hitler Youth. Trautmann joined the Luftwaffe early in the Second World War, and then served as a paratrooper. He was initially sent to Occupied Poland, and subsequently fought on the Eastern Front for three years, earning five medals, including an Iron Cross. Later in the war, he was transferred to the Western Front, where he was captured by the British as the war drew to a close. As a volunteer soldier, he was classified a category "C" prisoner by the authorities, meaning he was regarded as a Nazi. One of only 90 of his original 1,000-man regiment to survive the war, he was transferred to a prisoner-of-war camp in Ashton-in-Makerfield, Lancashire. Trautmann refused an offer of repatriation, and following his release in 1948 decided to settle in Lancashire, combining farm work with playing goalkeeper for a local football team, St Helens Town.

Performances for St Helens gained Trautmann a reputation as an outstanding goalkeeper, resulting in interest from Football League clubs. In October 1949, he signed for Manchester City, a club playing in the country's highest level of football, the First Division. The club's decision to sign a former Axis paratrooper sparked protests, and 20,000 people attended a demonstration. Over time, he gained acceptance through his performances in the City goal, playing in all but five of the club's next 250 matches.

Named FWA Footballer of the Year for 1956, Trautmann entered football folklore with his performance in the 1956 FA Cup Final. With 17 minutes of the match remaining, Trautmann suffered a serious injury while diving at the feet of Birmingham City's Peter Murphy. Despite his injury, he continued to play, making crucial saves to preserve his team's 3–1 lead. His neck was noticeably crooked as he collected his winner's medal; three days later an X-ray revealed it to be broken.

Trautmann played for Manchester City until 1964, making 545 appearances. After his playing career, he moved into management, first with lower-division sides in England and Germany, and later as part of a German Football Association development scheme that took him to several countries, including Burma, Tanzania and Pakistan. In 2004, he was appointed an honorary Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for promoting Anglo-German understanding through football. Trautmann died at home near Valencia, Spain, in 2013, aged 89.
By:
Giuseppe
When: 06 Nov 21 20:40
Yashin revolutionised how goalkeepers played

he is also the only keeper to win the ballon d'or

on the other hand he had a mare at Chile 62 (though he may have had concussion)
By:
Giuseppe
When: 06 Nov 21 20:44
Trautmann might have won a world cup medal in 1954 tooo but germany wouldn;t ick players based abroad
By:
sparrow
When: 06 Nov 21 20:47
A miracle that Germany won it in 1954 as Hungary were easily the best team in the world at that time.
By:
sparrow
When: 06 Nov 21 20:49
he 1954 FIFA World Cup Final was the final match of the 1954 FIFA World Cup, the fifth World Cup in FIFA history. The game was played at the Wankdorf Stadium in Bern, Switzerland, on 4 July 1954, and saw West Germany beat the heavily favoured Golden Team of Hungary 3–2.

The 1954 final is often listed as one of the greatest matches in World Cup history, and also one of its most unexpected upsets. Beyond football, some historians ascribe the match a lasting impact on both German and Hungarian post-World War II history, contributing in West Germany to a sense of regained international recognition after the lost Second World War and denazification, and in Hungary to discontent with the communist-authoritarian regime in the run-up to the 1956 Hungarian revolution. In Germany, the 1954 final is known as the Miracle of Bern (German: Wunder von Bern).
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com