Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
iamajambo
01 Nov 21 07:46
| Topic/replies: 4,851 | Blogger: iamajambo's blog
I had a seat in the North Stand. All I can remember about the game was that getting out was a seriously scary experience with my feet scarcely touching the ground

Can anyone give me any info about the game re. the score and attendance?
Also,was there a second such match at Parkhead the following month?
Pause Switch to Standard View CELTIC vs FEYENOORD Challenge Match...
Show More
Report bettinghelp November 1, 2021 8:20 PM GMT
Dunno, but I nearly died as a teenager leaving that dump of a stadium in about 1979. Feet off the ground as the crowd pressed me up against the brick exit-doorway with both me and the man behind me using all our arm strength to stop me from crushing my chest to pieces against the brick corner. He quite possibly saved my life.
Report themightymac November 1, 2021 9:11 PM GMT
Celtic faced their old foes from Rotterdam at Hampden Park, who had been their nemesis 9 months previously in the European Cup final defeat in Milan.
Again Gemmell opened the scoring, this time from a penalty which he struck so hard that goalkeeper Eddy Treytel was retrieving the ball before he could turn and see it hit the net.

Jock Stein deployed an experimental 1-3-3-3 formation with George Connelly as a sweeper and a back three of Craig, McNeill and Gemmell, but with no wingers which allowed channels for wide midfielders Hay, and the fast Callaghan, to get down the flanks.

Feyenoord equalised after Evan Williams punched a ball he should have held. Wim Jansen wore the Feyenoord number 7 shirt.

Celtic had requested this match to help them prepare for the European Cup quarter final ties with Ajax the following month and Feyenoord had by this time been crowned as World Champions after winning the World Club Cup against Estudiantes De La Plata from Argentina.

A respectable crowd of 51,172 attended this game.

Celtic:
Williams, Craig, Gemmell, Connelly, McNeill, Hay, Johnstone, Lennox, Hood, Callaghan, Auld Substitutes: Dalglish, Davidson, Wallace
Scorer: Gemmell (pen 20).

Feyenoord:
Treytel, Romelyn, Israel, Laesroms, Scneider, Hasil, Jansen, Kindvall, Posthumas (Van Daele), Van Hanegem, Wery. Substitutes: Moulijn, Mawiwald, Geilman, Boskamp
Scorer: Posthumas.

Referee: Finney (England)
Attendance:- 51,172.
Report themightymac November 1, 2021 9:32 PM GMT
Definitely never played them again a month later. Celtic should have hammered them in the 1970 European Cup Final but they underestimated the Dutch, who were a very good side, and they got beat in ET.
Report iamajambo November 2, 2021 8:16 AM GMT
Thanks for that mac.
Whilst searching for info on the game all I could find were photos of the Match program and that of a ticket,both showing 9th Feb.
I also came across an ad. from a Photographer offering photos of a game against Feyenoord played at Parkhead in March 1971,which seem infeasible. Obviously the guy got his wires crossed.
Report john92 November 2, 2021 12:35 PM GMT
I watched the whole of that final on youtube the other week. Feyenoord were much better on the night. The Celtic goal shouldn't have stood and the defending for the winner was comical. Feyenoord had beaten an outstanding Milan side in the quarters and were worthy winners.
Report themightymac November 2, 2021 1:08 PM GMT
No problem IAAJ. Not many people actually remember that match. Wim Jansen would never have thought on the day that one day he would manage Celtic.

Definitely were worthy winners on the night John, but having spoken to a few of the players in person, they all said the same thing, that they had not taken them as serious as they should have. Probably the same scenario as Inter in 1967 who also thought that they just needed to turn up to beat Celtic.
Report LoyalHoncho November 3, 2021 6:40 AM GMT
I recall reports in the press in the week leading up to the match of there being some dissatisfaction  in the Celtic dressing room, about the moderate/poor bonuses they had been promised to win the trophy.  Never did get it confirmed and at that time the press was very much Rangers orientated so it could have been absolute bowlucks.  Any knowledge of that mightymac?
Report MALAY November 3, 2021 5:15 PM GMT
themightymac02 Nov 21 14:08Joined: 05 Apr 02 | Topic/replies: 30,297 | Blogger: themightymac's blog
No problem IAAJ. Not many people actually remember that match. Wim Jansen would never have thought on the day that one day he would manage Celtic.

Definitely were worthy winners on the night John, but having spoken to a few of the players in person, they all said the same thing, that they had not taken them as serious as they should have. Probably the same scenario as Inter in 1967 who also thought that they just needed to turn up to beat Celtic.

Celtic were favourites in 1967 contrary to the myth. 100% fact.
Report themightymac November 3, 2021 9:01 PM GMT
Aye right. Laugh
Report themightymac November 4, 2021 2:33 PM GMT
Do you still insist that Celtic were favourites for the 1967 European Cup Final Malay?
Report themightymac November 4, 2021 2:34 PM GMT
I can guarantee that you are wrong mate.
Report MALAY November 4, 2021 3:12 PM GMT
how you tell me what the betting was then  ?

and pretty amazed a celtic fan would post something like this "Probably the same scenario as Inter in 1967 who also thought that they just needed to turn up to beat Celtic."

in fact the most amazing thing i've ever seen or hear from a "celtic fan"
Report themightymac November 4, 2021 6:58 PM GMT
Still holding on to that old chestnut. I am a Celtic fan but not a deluded one like you that does not face up to reality and changes history to suit their own argument.

If you are amazed to see or hear a Celtic fan speak the truth and recall history as it was, then you really need to get a grip.

Having read Mazzola`s book, I can assure you that the Inter players thought that they just needed to turn up to beat us, along with every neutral football fan in Europe and probably the entire world, and that is what makes our historic triumph such a fantastic occasion.

We were not favourites to win the 1967 European Cup, Inter Milan were and that`s a FACT!
Report themightymac November 4, 2021 7:08 PM GMT
I didn`t say that I thought Inter just needed to turn up, I said Inter and the world did and that`s a fact. 

Just like Celtic players thought against Feyenoord in 1970. But maybe you don`t believe the Lions that told me that. Maybe you know more than them.

We were not favourites to win the 1967 European Cup, Inter Milan were and that`s a FACT!
Report unitedbiscuits November 4, 2021 7:58 PM GMT
Ajax were the real deal. Assume the aftermath of this match was a home and away defeat in the QFs for Celtic.

As for being almost crushed - it is a horrible experience. Twice swept off my feet at Highbury; sensible voices saved me.
Report tobermory November 4, 2021 8:38 PM GMT
Ajax won 3-0 home

Celtic 1-0 2nd leg
Report tobermory November 4, 2021 8:39 PM GMT
Inter were marginal favourites in '67, almost a coin flip game seemingly

https://m.facebook.com/theglasgowchronicles/photos/bookmakers-odds-for-the-1967-european-cup-final-in-lisbon/2193326830773721/?locale=zh_CN
Report akabula November 4, 2021 8:39 PM GMT
Inter won the EC in 1963-64 and retained it the following season 64-65.
They lost narrowly to Real Madrid in the semis 65-66 and beat Real home and away in the quarters before losing to celtic.
This was celtics firat appearance in the EC.
Inter were big favourites to beat celtic.
Report tobermory November 4, 2021 8:42 PM GMT
Though here's another Glasgow bookie and it's joint favs

https://twitter.com/collectcelticfc/status/411259327018577920?lang=en
Report themightymac November 4, 2021 8:43 PM GMT
Report tobermory November 4, 2021 8:46 PM GMT
tbf though I had always heard that Celtic were big underdogs and it seems that actually people thought the teams were closely matched.
Report akabula November 4, 2021 8:48 PM GMT
Surprised at that Mac. I'd have thought Inter would have been odds on to win in 90 mins
Report themightymac November 4, 2021 8:52 PM GMT
Conclusive proof that Inter were favourites. Nobody can deny that.
Report unitedbiscuits November 4, 2021 8:55 PM GMT
It was the first game I was really interested in: last year England had won the World Cup, was pleased but not really invested.

Too young to bet but my impression was that Celtic were underdogs. No UK team had made the European Cup final before. British teams were portrayed as less "streetwise" than Europeans, particularly Italians.

I was only 10 but knew as I watched it was one of those games where the result was inevitable - and the game taught me that fortune favours the brave.
Report tobermory November 4, 2021 8:55 PM GMT
tbf the other bookie had joint favs, so fair chance somewhere else Celtic were marginal favs.
Report akabula November 4, 2021 8:55 PM GMT
Googled Dan flynn. Surely not but heres the opening bit.

Biography
Dan Flynn was certainly one of the more interesting of the 1908 British Olympians. Born of Irish parents in Glasgow, he was brought up in the Pollokshaws district of the city and went on to become a champion cyclist, heavyweight boxing champion, racehorse owner, and innovative bookmaker.
Report themightymac November 4, 2021 8:57 PM GMT
No betting on the draw Aka.

Dan Flynn obviously thought it would be a draw and he would scoop all the dough from fans on both sides of the Old Firm Laugh.

Inter were 4/7 to win Trophy with European firms
Report themightymac November 4, 2021 8:59 PM GMT
5/1 with Malay Independent Bookmakers Crazy
Report unitedbiscuits November 4, 2021 9:14 PM GMT
It was a different world in 1967. 99/100 local bets would have been on Celtic.
Report tobermory November 4, 2021 9:19 PM GMT
No, if Glasgow bookies were offering silly prices on Inter, then surely Rangers fans would have been all over that.
Report akabula November 4, 2021 9:20 PM GMT
You wanna bet on that. LaughLaughLaugh
Report unitedbiscuits November 4, 2021 9:43 PM GMT
Everyone's clued up now.
Then people had no choice and accepted any odds.
The legacy lives on. I was at Taunton races last week and, being the first meeting open to the public since lockdown, was supported mostly by stalwart members. A good number still bet with the tote, and their returns are terrible. On one short field race, both winners paid 1.10 a place. The placepot paid 2.20.
Report themightymac November 4, 2021 10:12 PM GMT
Hope you had a great day out at Taunton UB and a profitable one.

Amazing that people still bet on the Tote at vastly inferior prices. Must be a status thing? More respectable thing to do.

Before the internet, I drove 100 miles to the nearest Stanley shop to bet a golfer who was 5pts higher with them and everybody said I was nuts.
Report unitedbiscuits November 4, 2021 10:43 PM GMT
Had the placepot, themightymac.Shocked

It's mostly old ladies and gents using the Tote counter. Their loyalty is repaid with insulting returns. Not that there is much going on in the betting ring. Funny to think that raceday programmes right up to lockdown had full page adverts stating that on-course betting on a phone would result in ejection!
Report LoyalHoncho November 5, 2021 12:31 AM GMT
Celtic were never in a million years favourites in '67.  How could they possibly have been when Inter were two time winners within the previous five years?
Report MALAY November 5, 2021 12:52 AM GMT
perhaps because they were the greatest team in the world at the time, LH, there is plenty evidence now it was more or less levels, my granda a miner, was in Lisbon, he worked beside big Jock in pits and was at the final, he won big money a few weeks beforehand to get their from local bookie, told me Celtic were favorites on the day.
he left money for my mum to bet on day and my mum confirmed this tonight, Celtic were not outsiders.
The tims knew and got paid, sook it up but it's true. Celtic were favourites because there support had the believe in big Jock and the lions.

I will tell you another thing 100%, Inter didn't underestimate Celtic, they were beaten by a far superior team on the day.

So lets ignore that nonsense Celtic won because Inter underestimated them from the rangers/sevco cartel and fake accounts on here.
Report themightymac November 5, 2021 1:48 PM GMT
Ok the National Archives and newspapers of the time are all wrong and your granny is right. Agreed.

Forget the historical evidence produced, Celtic were favourites and it`s a conspiracy by the Rangers/Sevco cartel and fake accounts on here. Agreed.

Mazzola and all the Inter players didn`t say that they underestimated Celtic and the Lions who said in their biographies that Inter had underestimated them are all talking pish. Agreed.

Have a nice day. Crazy
Report MALAY November 5, 2021 4:28 PM GMT
a celtic fan who wants to undermine the achievement of Lisbon 1967, not having it, (we only won because Inter underestimated us) is the narrative you are spouting, never heard that from any Celtic fan ever, I never mentioned my granny btw, I never met her.

There is no possible way the might mac account is a Celtic supporters, impossible. Be aware forumites.
Report themightymac November 5, 2021 4:52 PM GMT
Get a grip Jim. I am not undermining anything. The only things we agree on is that Celtic were the far superior side and sure Celtic supporters won money betting them. Nobody disputes that.

You tried to undermine me by saying above, which is there for all to see:

Celtic were favourites in 1967 contrary to the myth. 100% fact.

From the documents posted below, once again, from the National Newspaper Archive, I`ll ask you a simple question. Which team was favourite for the Final? We will take a poll of all posters reading it to determine if you are too thick to understand odds:

Report themightymac November 5, 2021 5:48 PM GMT
If it makes you happy, then I am a Rang....... oops sorry (don`t want to upset you) a Sevco supporter and not a Celtic supporter. Believe whatever you want. There is more to life than Celtic and Rangers. Sad thing is, most (on both sides) don`t realise it before it`s too late. Football is a mere triviality in life to an intelligent being. Only fools would dispute that.
Report akabula November 5, 2021 6:18 PM GMT
Well said Mac. See you down the lodge er I mean pub tomorrow night.
Report themightymac November 5, 2021 6:56 PM GMT
Look forward to it Brother Wil ....... - I mean Aka. Grin
Report MALAY November 5, 2021 7:19 PM GMT
thanks for admitting you are not a Celtic supporter, I'm not either, although my family are.

Apologies if I went over the top, liked quiz question, anymore I will participate hopefully.
Report LoyalHoncho November 6, 2021 4:00 PM GMT
So many things point out how superior Celtic were on the day.  Sarti being Inter's undisputed man of the match tells it's own story.  The man who has never been given credit for a world class performance is Bertie Auld.  He was magnificent on the day and kept things ticking over as Celtic mounted wave after wave of attacks.
Report unitedbiscuits November 6, 2021 4:18 PM GMT
That was my impression as a 10 y-y-o, LoyalHoncho.

Inter scored before 10 mins. Then it was Celtic attack v Inter defence. The final result seemed inexorable

Fortune favours the brave, and Celtic were brave that day.

Was a rare live game. Agonising for Rangers fans, because the winner came late (between 75/85 mins) ?
Report LoyalHoncho November 6, 2021 7:24 PM GMT
I remember Billy McNeill having his jersey ripped off his back, in painful, tearing instalments as he had to actually walk through the hundreds and thousands of fans on the pitch to get to the presentation podium.  He visibly winced as he was patted and slapped repeatedly on the shoulders and back.  Then, once they got a new jersey for him he stepped up and received the trophy.  They were incredible scenes and still quite vivid in the memory.
And John Clark is still with Celtic after all these years.  How the SFA have not admitted this man into their Hall Of Fame for his unswerving loyalty to one club - he has served Celtic in each of the last eight decades - is an anomaly that needs fixing and very soon.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com