Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
RonaldinhoRAT
18 Oct 21 15:17
| Topic/replies: 911 | Blogger: RonaldinhoRAT's blog
During the Brentford v Chelsea game on Saturday the Betfair server crashed from 17:40 to 18:11. I had many bets on the match in the queues waiting to be matched
When the site returned as quick as I could I couldn't stop the bots hoovering all the value bets in a millisecond: I would normally update my odds every few seconds but with the crash all the bets were 30 minutes out of sync so you can imagine the value for the thieving bot operators but I blame Betfair as how can they re open a market after a crash with all the bets sitting there to be stolen any ideas on software that can help to cancel if this happens again or should Betfair refund? Or should betfair have a protocal where by they cancel all in play bets after a crash?
Pause Switch to Standard View Betfair website crash
Show More
Report wolf3011 October 18, 2021 5:18 PM BST
If betfair refunded it'd mean people who bet on the match winning would also lose out including those who weren't trading so they can't win whatever action they take
Report RonaldinhoRAT October 18, 2021 5:38 PM BST
Their protocol should be to cancel all bets on an in play event after a server failure. As all the prices were 30 minutes out of date. Imagine the server came back in the 90th minute and the score is 0-0 and the prices are 12.5 all the way down to 1.01 and a bot just comes and takes the lot.
Betfair should clear all the in play bets after a crash its unbelievable that they don't do this even if the betfair bot takes all the money its just so immoral
Report brentford October 18, 2021 6:47 PM BST
This used to happen in cricket markets at one point but in recent memory they seem to wipe the board entirely before lifting the suspended banner and allowing resumption of betting/trading which is obviously the appropriate method. Are you sure they couldn't have been matched prior to the outage being 'full blown' so to speak ? I gather at times some methods of site access still work prior to a full outage.
Report GoBallistic October 19, 2021 11:51 AM BST
I thought it was standard for BF to cancel unmatched bets for in-play markets during an outage. Certainly I've seen unmatched bets disappear in the past and eventually figured out that it was because of an outage

Not sure what they do for "keep" bets
Report longbridge October 19, 2021 12:02 PM BST
@RonaldinhoRAT

What the other posters said.

"When the site returned as quick as I could I couldn't stop the bots hoovering all the value bets in a millisecond"

If the matched times on those bets are as the site came back up then I think you have a valid case that BF should have cancelled all the unmatched while the site was down before bringing it back up.

If they were matched as things started to get flakey at the beginning of the outage I think it's harder to make a black-and-white case.
Report Lee Ho Fooks October 19, 2021 5:22 PM BST
They have as much as said in the past (and I fully agree with their take on it) that you either back or lay but if you don't get an opposite transaction then tough
Report Lee Ho Fooks October 19, 2021 5:24 PM BST
Unfortunately they suggest that you wanted a back/lay & you got what you asked for
Report RonaldinhoRAT October 19, 2021 7:42 PM BST
@longbridge

Oh yep I checked the time and they all were hoovered at 18:11 when the site came backand I started laying it off at much reduced prices at 18:12Whoops
Report RonaldinhoRAT October 19, 2021 7:46 PM BST
@brentford             

Yep I agree wiping the board is the only way to deal with this and betfair being over 20 years old now and they cannot do this is embarrassing
Report RonaldinhoRAT October 19, 2021 7:49 PM BST
@Lee ho fooks

"They have as much as said in the past (and I fully agree with their take on it) that you either back or lay but if you don't get an opposite transaction then tough"

Well if you agree you cannot understand the conversation unless you own the hoover bot
Report brentford October 19, 2021 7:49 PM BST
Lee ho, with respect I think you are addressing a different issue to the specific in question.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com