Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rommel
11 Oct 21 09:26
| Topic/replies: 30,405 | Blogger: rommel's blog
Pause Switch to Standard View WHY THE NEWCASTLE PROJECT MIGHT FOUNDER
Show More
Report rommel October 11, 2021 9:28 AM BST
1 they'll have to  get a proven world manager
Report rommel October 11, 2021 9:30 AM BST
2 theyll need to pay a premium to attract...like a lot of other places newcastle is not London
Report rommel October 11, 2021 9:31 AM BST
3 some players will not go to newcastle,some wives/gf's too
Report rommel October 11, 2021 9:51 AM BST
4 it will take years for them to be a force,in prem.CL,would you squander 3 years of a career if your a worldie player
Report TheGoddess October 11, 2021 11:23 AM BST
Still the same squad so likely to be in relegation zone in January transfer window.
Report TheGoddess October 11, 2021 11:24 AM BST
Who is going to want to come in to a relegation battle with no prospect of Europe next season?
Report TheGoddess October 11, 2021 11:26 AM BST
They may attrax=ct journeyman mercenaries, but what fight do they add?
Report TheGoddess October 11, 2021 11:27 AM BST
Start of next season, still no European football on the horizon, which big players are going to come?
Report TheGoddess October 11, 2021 11:27 AM BST
Next season, still bottom half and the cycle begins again.
Report TheGoddess October 11, 2021 11:28 AM BST
Be at least 5 years before they hit the Europa League Conference and at least 10 for Champions League.
Report TheGoddess October 11, 2021 11:29 AM BST
The top 6 are so far clear - toon fans can only dream!
Report thelatarps October 11, 2021 11:47 AM BST
Dont know if you guys have been following events in la liga recently but there is a boatload of unwanted top talent at both Madrid and Barcelona.

This is a list of players I should imagine that Florentino Perez would be happy to see off the books at Real..

Marcos Asensio
Gareth Bale
Eden Hazard
Isco
Luka jovic
Toni Kroos
Lucas Vazquez
Marcelo
Mariano Diaz
Luca Modric
Rodrygo

And a list of Barca players of whom Joan Laporta wouldnt mind seeing their backsides on a jumbo flying to Newcastle International Airport..

Jordi ALba
Martin Braithwaite
Philip Coutinho
Antoine Griezmann
Clement Lenglet
Miralem Pjanic
Sergi Roberto
Samuel Umtiti
Luuk de Jong

Then there is the large number of makeweights languishing in the lower depths of the squads of the so called big 6 clubs in the epl.
Hallo Donny!

If any of these players are offered big contracts at NUFC then off to Tyneside they will surely go.
Report rommel October 11, 2021 11:52 AM BST
tarps it'd be a bad start id they just got 2nd rankers in,be going nowhere but they might have to settle with some of them sure
Report thelatarps October 11, 2021 12:06 PM BST
Think the point is that there is a greater supply of top class players demanding the big wages at the moment than there is demand.
In that the Spanish giants and probably inter and juve are looking to offload.

Newcastle under Rafa and indeed Steve Bruce have usually been defensively solid.
The addition of 3 or 4 quality attacking players from the big names in Europe will launch them up the table.

Its not impossible to imagine Hazard turning up. What a coup that would be. And if Amanda and pals were to offer £160m+ for Harry Kane then even Daniel might have to accept. Despite his reported bitter opposition to the Saudi takeover.
Report rommel October 11, 2021 12:17 PM BST
solid,think i missed solid,but i'm not up on the mags must admit
Report rommel October 11, 2021 12:19 PM BST
first up name change to;London North
Report rommel October 11, 2021 12:22 PM BST
to wr at st james youve gotta have a tan -year round,sunbeds compulsory
Report rommel October 11, 2021 12:22 PM BST
to work*
Report rommel October 11, 2021 12:23 PM BST
Laugh
Report Tiger Tiger October 11, 2021 12:55 PM BST
Wait and see...we may well get relegated, in which case - spend no money, retain the current squad who would be good enough to bring us back up, then spend to strengthen the playing squad. Plenty of patience needed, it might never happen, it wont happen overnight that's for sure, just as it didn't happen overnight at Man City.
Report 1st time poster October 11, 2021 1:24 PM BST
theyve just paid 20 plus million for a player top 8 side [ arsenal ] didnt want,
if newcastle wanted to sell sir max they,d probably want 50 mill plus for him
so theyve already got 2 so called committed marquee type forwards and havnt won a game
when chelski spent they were trying to break in to a top 2 with maybe 20 players off limits
city a top 3 with 30 players off limits
l,pool a top 4 with maybe 40 players off limiys

newcastle at best trying to break in to top 7 with over 100 best talent signed up
there just arnt enough talented players who,ll make a difference out there,unlike when city,chelski bought themselves a seat at top table,every epl club now has money to spend but nothing to spend it on
i see in todays mail newcastle been linked with a host of man u reject squad players not considered good enough for a teram  beaten a distance by city last season
as for jan window think theres been one/2 successful marquee signings made in history of jn windows,clubs will be trying to have a fire sale at newcastles expenxse
Report 1st time poster October 11, 2021 1:29 PM BST
and all of this happening whilst 7 or 8 other clubs trying to buy same talent
6 already in europe
2 or 3 in london

like grealish city didnt need him but it stopped a rival getting him,theres 6 other clubs could try and play that card with any player newcastle might want and every players agent will be playing on that
you could almost say with the alternatives out there newcastle should be very worried about anyone committing to them especially in jan window
Report Tiger Tiger October 11, 2021 1:30 PM BST
ffs, use your brain - Newcastle will be linked with every tom dick and harry, by the press that is, as the press speculate and make story's up as they go along.

Every Newcastle fan knows that there is no 'easy fix'and that it will take time.
Report 1st time poster October 11, 2021 1:55 PM BST
if we count lec and everton,even villa thats 9 clubs with the money/status to attract players one of them has to finish 9th at best, as has happened in last few seasons in EPL almost everyone has the money to attract players,
1, theres very few out there
,2 more luck than judgement that you get the right ones
Report Corky October 11, 2021 3:23 PM BST
eights to win prem in next 5 years Laugh
Report 1st time poster October 11, 2021 3:34 PM BST
THEY MIGHT buy ronny,pogba,fernanzez.maguire,varrane,degega,greenwood,rashford,shaw and settle for finishing 18 points behind city unless city buy kane then make that 2o plus points, LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report 1st time poster October 11, 2021 3:35 PM BST
1st trohy championship trophy but cant see it taking 8 seasons Laugh
Report 1st time poster October 11, 2021 4:19 PM BST
when they have the choice of top clubs nah chance of the likes of rashford,kane top english young talent going to newcastle and been asked every week and with england about human rights in saudi etc,they just dont need it
Report Racingqueen October 11, 2021 4:56 PM BST
If they aim to sign top club rejects like Hazard, Coutinho, Bale etc... they will fail.

It will have to go in steps. No reason they can't aim for top 6 within the next 3/4 years

To win a PL will take a lot of luck and probably another 2/3 years after that.

They will need a group of 4/5 players signed who will embody the club like Terry, Drogba, Cech, Lampard did at Chelsea.

Im surprised Bruce isn't being kept on till at least the end of the season. They will get a boost with the takeover and with a couple of basic signings in Jan should survive comfortably. That would give them time to draw up a proper shortlist of potential coaches. Fans would surely give Bruce that amount of time now Ashley has gone.
Report Tiger Tiger October 11, 2021 5:00 PM BST
Currently second bottom of the PL and without a win, I would settle for PL survival. There will be no mass signings of players, it takes time to build a side.

One thing I'm sure of, whatever the immediate future holds I'm 100% sure that the next 14 years will be better than the last 14.
Report thelatarps October 11, 2021 7:35 PM BST
Personally I can see NUFC with a front 3 of St Maximin, a motivated Kane and maybe a Griezmann, Hazard or even whisper it Mbappe next season.
That could be enough for a good old fashioned Geordie run at the title.
I think with the ownership sorted, relegation will not be a concern this year.

I notice Sky are going to be all set for a Newcastle love-in on super sunday this week. A Home win over the less than mighty Spurs is a very attractive price. 5/2.
In my recent memory as a tottenham fan weve been done 6 and 5 up there.
Looks too good to pass up...
Report Tiger Tiger October 11, 2021 7:39 PM BST
I was thinking the opposite, a Spurs win to spoil the party is a cert is it not?
Report loui October 11, 2021 7:41 PM BST
If they get a good manager/coach in, that attracts players, and obviously good wages talk. Coach choice is crucial to the project imo
Report Bish Bosher October 11, 2021 7:43 PM BST
Just happy not to have Ashley in charge if i'm honest; it will just be nice to compete with the rest of the league and not look up wishing
Report thelatarps October 11, 2021 7:43 PM BST
Good lord Tiger, have you seen us this season?
We are absolute rubbish.

The only way we win this game is if Brucey is still there and picks a suicide-note eleven. A bit like what Ranieri did in the champions league semi final for chelsea against monaco. All those years ago.
Report Tiger Tiger October 11, 2021 7:48 PM BST
Not half as bad as we are, and if the rumours are true that Jones will be charge, heaven help us, his spell as manager of Luton left them in 23rd place before he was sacked. Decent coach maybe but perhaps not a manager. He's not the first good coach to fail as a manager of course, but I would have no faith should he be appointed.
Report thelatarps October 11, 2021 8:06 PM BST
I have a vision of a rocking Sarah Jessica Parker(SJP - st james park geddit?) this sunday.
All those players Newcastle have got at the moment, they are professionals for a reason. They can play the game.
What with the Saudi money coming in, every man jack of them will be up for it.
All of a sudden, Newcastle has gone from a place with a giant big fat cockney cloud hanging over it to the most happening joint in world football.
Who is not gonna want a piece of that?

Looking thru the NUFC squad, the keeper Darlow is solid enough.
Matt Ritchie would walk into the tottenham team.
So would Hayden as a defensive mid.
The Longstaff boys are a pair of diamonds, Almiron i have always liked. Joe Willock will need absolutely no tuning up for this game. St Maximin is world class and Tottenham are one of the few teams who Joe Linton has beaten with his masterful goal scoring touch already.

Nuno is going to have a threadbare squad depleted by south american qualifiers and approximately 5 mins to organise a game plan. Going to Geordieland in this week of all weeks is the one away trip nobody would have wanted.
Report Tiger Tiger October 11, 2021 8:21 PM BST
No way would Ritchie get in your team, Hayden is very ordinary, the Longstaffe's - one is in the team through injuries and the other cant even get in Aberdeen's team on loan!! On the plus side, Dubravka and Wilson could both be back along with Lascelles.
Report thelatarps October 11, 2021 8:28 PM BST
Lascelles is quality. So is Dubravka.
Didnt know that Matty Longstaff is it has gone on loan.. Hope its the making of him because what i have seen from those boys they could have good careers at Newcastle.
Going forward NUFC are going to need some local young blood and Sam in particular could be a real driving force.
Always liked Ritchie. He is way more consistent than Reguilon and a better defender.

Modern football, You need a solid defence, which Newcastle have had pretty much in recent years. A hard running midfield plus world class forwards.
You might say NUFC are not that far off.
Report Tiger Tiger October 11, 2021 8:36 PM BST
I want some of what you're drinking Laugh
Report Racingqueen October 11, 2021 8:44 PM BST
The midfield needs a complete reconstruction. The worst team in the league for possession. 2 central midfielders and an attacking player would improve the team no end. I don't like taking players from bigger clubs as they usually think they are above it all but I can see some positives in Martial. Not so keen on Lingard as I can see his form dropping if Utd sell him. He's playing for his career at Utd. nothing over 35m for Martial though

Woodman is not good enough and in the long term Dubravka will step aside but is good enough for now.

Dubravka, Lascelles, Schar, Wilson, Almiron, Saint Maximin, Wilock the only players good enough to stay for now even though most will be backups
Report thelatarps October 11, 2021 8:46 PM BST
I just remember watching NUFC under Rafa, they were very well organised defensively and to some extent its continued under Bruce.
If you add 2 or 3 world class forwards to that mix, you are talking a title challenge.
Its always been that way.
Look at liverpool.
Jordan Henderson, Fabinho, plus Wijnaldum when he was there. You wouldnt say that was a world class midfield burgeoning with creativity.
I mean you had Wijnaldum didnt you?
Mane, Salah and Firmino three world class forwards to do the biz up top.

Mines a Newcastle Brown, ta Wink..
(is that still going?)
Report Tiger Tiger October 11, 2021 8:49 PM BST
Newcastle Brown still on the go but brewed in Yorkshire now and mainly for export.
Report Tiger Tiger October 11, 2021 8:51 PM BST
As racingqueen says, we are hopeless, especially the midfield and defence..........oh.and the attack is not up to much either!!!! survival is the name of the game.
Report thelatarps October 11, 2021 9:02 PM BST
Ok
Let me put this to you.
Lets say Amanda Staveley gets Antonio Conte in plus two or 3 world class forwards.
Fast forward 6 months and NUFC are in the top 4..

Is that outside the realms of possibility?
I dont think so.
Report Tiger Tiger October 11, 2021 9:10 PM BST
Firstly, we cant sign anyone until January.
Secondly, no world class player in their right minds would join us if we were involved in a relegation fight, which is 100% going to be the case.
Thirdly, sadly Conte has indicated his reluctance to join any side who are not already 'equipped to challenge' for trophies, which rules us out.

But I like the way you are thinking Happy
Report Racingqueen October 11, 2021 9:22 PM BST
liverpools midfield is under rated. milner was a fantastic signing for them

Is that outside the realms of possibility?

Yes
Report thelatarps October 11, 2021 9:27 PM BST
Well if I am Amanda and her cohorts I am 100% on the dog and bone to Conte promising the earth.
Bring him in now.
In a month he will have the defence organised and in january, in come the reinforcements.
There has never been a better time.
Barca and Madrid have a raft of world class forwards they want rid.
You probably wont have to pay much of a transfer fee as they just want their wages off the books.
Strike now while the irons hot i say.
Report drive for show putt for dough October 11, 2021 9:55 PM BST
Mbappe Laugh

Suspect they will sign up a european manager struggle to January. Spend a bit then mixed in with a few loans from bigger clubs. Wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Ramsey, Coutinho type additions.

There is a long way until January still get the best part of 3 months and thats presuming they can get players in early Jan which will require them paying a premium.

Suspect this will be a long winter and every chance they are in the bottom 3 going into the window.
Report thelatarps October 11, 2021 10:10 PM BST
Mbappe is a case in point.
He wants out of Paris at the end of the season.
At the very least I should think Amanda needs to make a call to his agent (I read that Kia Joorabchian is the man to go to) just to put it out there.

WHat I have found with Newcastle over the last four years or so is that when the ownership question raises its head, as it has done on numerous occasions, then the teams form nosedives.
It happened under Rafa, it happened under Brucey. When the ownership question blows over with Ashley still in charge, the form picks up.
Now the ownership is settled I would expect the team to push on.
The current squad is easy good enough to stay up.

November is just round the corner.
Traditionally this means that the champions league teams and especially the Europa ones start to feel the effects of the 'three games a week'-plus-international-breaks burn out that have always affected players in the EPL.
There will be points to pick up for a committed Newcastle team.
December the work will be done to get the new players and January off you go.

I dont see a relegation scrap at all.
Report lurka October 12, 2021 12:13 AM BST
The manager and possibly a director of football like Campos would be the best signings they can make. Someone like Rodgers would be great as he can spot younger, cheaper talent, plays good football and can get the best out of his players.

They will need to throw the chequebook at Conte but that would probably work too.

Depends on how much the owners intermeddle and how they go about their plan as well. They may not see spending ridiculous amounts like City and Chelsea did as the way to do it. Getting the right manager and DOF is more important and a lot cheaper and you could actually sell players for a profit - something Chelsea never did in the early years and I don't think City ever have apart from unknown youngsters. They will have to work with FFP from day one - Chelsea and City didn't have to do that and were long established by the time it came in. I'm sure they'll come up with a fabulous sponsorship deal from a related company but making profit from player sales would be the right way to go too and the right manager buying players for a system would bring that rather than one trying to fit expensive top players into one.

They would only need to pay a premium for CL level players to get them to make the step down but they won't really need many of those players in the short term if they get the right manager/DOF and buy younger top talent.

They should only be aiming to get top half level with their first manager tho and then review in a couple of years.
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK October 12, 2021 7:03 AM BST
Come window your bottom 3
Take big Sam  first signing ?
Up **** creek with million of paddles I’d say
Be interesting window for your mob
Report EastLower Gooner October 12, 2021 1:29 PM BST
Wenger auditioning from the job Laugh
Report Tiger Tiger October 12, 2021 1:34 PM BST
How have Arsenal faired since you forced him out?
Report leazes67 October 12, 2021 2:04 PM BST
Would love Wenger as director of football.
Report thelatarps October 17, 2021 4:38 PM BST
I was saying....
Report tony6499 October 17, 2021 4:53 PM BST
They need a new defence the way they're playing this season and no decent player will go near them
Report Giuseppe October 17, 2021 5:28 PM BST
i think newcastle will find it more difficult to sign players than City of Chelsea did, due to the location , small size of the city and weather

they will probbaly have to pay over the odds for everyone, like Russian teams had to when they had lots of money
Report Giuseppe October 17, 2021 5:29 PM BST
City or Chelsea
Report Giuseppe October 17, 2021 5:32 PM BST
over the odds in terms of wages i mean

Chelsea for 200k a week in London

or Newcastle (who?) for 220k in Newcastle (where's that?)

which would a french player choose?
Report Giuseppe October 17, 2021 5:36 PM BST
one thing you are allowed do under FFP is invest limitless money in infrastructure

might they expand the stadium? maybe even build a new one?

new training centre?
Report 1st time poster October 17, 2021 5:57 PM BST
bappe has been bog average surrounded by quality at psg and france,forget about him even dreaming about gpoing anywhere that isnt already in ch lg and with a quality  squad,his reputation alreadl slipped a little no chance of him risking it going any lower,wouldnt think utd will be making top 6 in next 10/15 yrs
unless its in championship
only need look at everton,utd,arsenal the money means nothing anymore everyone has it,
the city/location
history
current position/strength etc
money only comes in to it when your chosing between 2 clubs that tick al the boxes,newcastle currently dont fill any boxes
Report duffy October 17, 2021 6:12 PM BST
None of the real top players will want to be the first to go, it'll be players further down the food chain that will be the first in.....someone like a Lingard would fancy it, has the ability when he fancies it, would be attracted by the money and his ego would really fancy getting a chance to become a darling of the toon army.

Sterling, Lacazette another couple of likely candidates.
Report 1st time poster October 17, 2021 6:17 PM BST
and theres the rub rejects from clubs newcastle are trying to jump over,coming for the money because their not happy where their at,sterling paving way to go to madrid/barca
Report tony6499 October 17, 2021 6:41 PM BST
Doubt any decent manager will want to take over now, better get onto Allardyce
Report Whisperingdeath October 17, 2021 6:59 PM BST
I think they have 3 years or so to get into The  Champions League and get legitimate increased income otherwise they migh5 fall foul of FFP unless of course they bribe someone at UEFALaugh
Report rommel October 17, 2021 7:16 PM BST
think Liberace would fancy that, hes not doing well at utd, just imagine all the hype again after all the hype him going to utd,cameras clicking,more poeple saying "hes da best player in dee werlddddd" oh yesh
Report rommel October 17, 2021 7:19 PM BST
if they dont get the main man right it'll turn to sh**, 100's of millions doon the sh*****r
Report EastLower Gooner October 18, 2021 2:56 AM BST
Speak to Arsenal…Could probably get Cedric, Chambers, Xhaka and Laca for £50m. Fark…they’ll probably throw in Kolasinac for free for that kind of money.
Report 1st time poster October 18, 2021 11:24 AM BST
think theres an EPL rule that every club at some point has to suffer CHAMBERS for at least a month or so
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK October 18, 2021 3:22 PM BST
Get out jail card
Lingard ivor Tony Jude Bellingham diop
That’s window get Newcastle out the woods
Report EastLower Gooner October 18, 2021 5:15 PM BST
Jokes aside…just sign a couple of premier league pros and they’ll be fine ie Lacazette and maybe someone like Tarkowski. One on top and one at the back.

Whether anyone will sell is another question…surely the other clubs will be petty and take the view that it’s better if Newcastle get relegated.

But that only delays the inevitable when most of them probably need money from somewhere / anywhere.
Report Whisperingdeath October 18, 2021 5:36 PM BST
It would be great if Newcastle got relegated because it would put a spoke in their FFP and Champions League qualification.

Good shout Gooner. Whilst clubs might like to put a spoke in off loading players like Laca it would be a good move for all. They are not going to get the best in the World for a while unless that cheque book gets ridiculous. Tarkowski would be ideal at Arsenal I think!
Report Racingqueen October 18, 2021 5:41 PM BST
Bellingham joining a relegation battle!?!? Laugh

Tarkowski
Ward Prowse
McGinn
Martial

would be good signings imho
Report Tiger Tiger October 18, 2021 5:54 PM BST
Whisperingdeath18 Oct 21 16:36Joined: 25 Dec 11 | Topic/replies: 38,503 | Blogger: Whisperingdeath's blog
It would be great if Newcastle got relegated because it would put a spoke in their FFP and Champions League qualification.

Idiot.
Report Whisperingdeath October 18, 2021 6:03 PM BST
Why?
Report Whisperingdeath October 18, 2021 6:03 PM BST
It would be fantastic and a great football and human story. Most of the Country would love it!
Report Whisperingdeath October 18, 2021 6:05 PM BST
Are you deluded Tiger?

Your Emperor's have no clothes!

Nearly everybody hates your club now! You are the Millwall of the North! Enjoy your moment in the sun, your 15 minutes of fame.
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK October 18, 2021 6:14 PM BST
I don’t hate Newcastle there fans had rotten owner
For 15 years good luck to them
Going be interesting what happens up there
Report 1st time poster October 18, 2021 6:32 PM BST
owner bought them
wilson
wilock
frazer
3 players everyone outside of top 5/6  wanted 2 yrs ago
Report 1st time poster October 18, 2021 6:40 PM BST
newcastle fan aimed racist comment/act towards spuds fans