Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
irishone
18 Sep 21 08:34
| Topic/replies: 47,000 | Blogger: irishone's blog
The first adult football match without heading set for later this month has been welcomed by a leading scientist for brain injuries.

Organisers hope the match at Spennymoor Town involving former professionals will show how 11-a-side football works with heading restrictions and continue an "ongoing conversation about the safety of players."

Professor Willie Stewart from Glasgow University has published research showing that footballers are up to five times more likely to suffer from dementia than the general population.

He believes that neurodegenerative brain disease is linked to heading after further studies showed that defenders were more at risk than goalkeepers, who do not head the ball.

The match, organised by charity Head for Change, will only allow headers in the penalty box for the first half and then restrict all heading during the second half.

Co-founder Dr Judith Gates said they wanted the match on Sunday 26 September "to raise awareness of the dangers of heading and it was the logical next step".

She also said it would be a "legacy" for her husband, former Middlesbrough defender Bill Gates, who has a neurodegenerative condition.

Stewart said he was "astonished" it had taken until 2021 for a match like this to be organised and challenged football associations to take the idea forward.

"This is a long overdue and welcome development," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"What we all want to see is need a more meaningful and perhaps longer term assessment of what restricting and removing heading in the game might be.

"So this is a challenge to football organisations to say 'What can you do to take this forward?'. That's what we need to see happening now.

"We're asking the question 'Is heading absolutely necessary or is the risk of dementia something we have to accept if a game of football is to go ahead?'."

Stewart's latest research in August, which was funded by the Football Association and players' union the Professional Footballers' Association, also found that risk of brain injury disease increased the longer a player's football career was.

After its publication, Stewart said that "footballs should be sold with a health warning saying repeated heading in football may lead to increased risks of dementia".

Gates told BBC Radio 5 live: "The passion for doing this comes from living alongside Bill.

"We cannot change the trajectory for his illness, but we made a family commitment to him to protect future players and families from experiencing the same as us, and that will be his legacy.

"We are not recommending that heading be banned, that's [a decision] for the governing bodies to make.

"But the more information, the more evidence we get and the more we look at alternatives, the more likely we are to protect players and protect the game."
Pause Switch to Standard View Football match without headibg .....
Show More
Report irishone September 18, 2021 9:35 AM BST
The ball is the problen
As soon as they start playing without one
There will be no tackling, no heading, no kicking

Or is that bubble football the way forward ?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- September 18, 2021 11:50 AM BST
We played lots of 5 a side, 6 a side
and a ball over neck height
meant a free kick.

Made for a decent game when you
got used to the rule.

But... Its a different game,
not football.
Report 11kv September 18, 2021 5:33 PM BST
Trying to change the game again ffs they are still trying to educate me with the kneeling........
Report brassneck September 18, 2021 5:55 PM BST
could they not wear shoulder pads,helmet's and shin pads and elbow covers,this socker ball game will have to change.
Report brentford September 18, 2021 6:00 PM BST
didn't they use a pink balloon in South Park's - "Sarcastaball" and you had to compliment the opposition players as well...became a big hit...
Report moisok September 18, 2021 6:20 PM BST
and they could pick the ball up and run with it for safety
Report 11kv September 18, 2021 6:34 PM BST
Running bit risky grazed knees then you wouldn't be able to educate the great unwashed on the terraces....
Report Giuseppe September 18, 2021 7:45 PM BST
huge issue this, also in rugby and american football, it's not going away
Report brentford September 18, 2021 8:19 PM BST
I suspect football will eventually become a non heading sport but will be a couple of decades or more off..

no way that the modern ball can be as damaging as the ones used in previous eras, head clashes will obvious remain a problem...

NFL and college 'American' football have already done a lot and will continue to make adjustments I'd imagine,
Rugby has felt a bit behind the curve but starting to catch up...slightly ironic that you very rarely hear any references (or I don't) to Boxing or MMA type stuff...
Report Giuseppe September 18, 2021 11:02 PM BST
i suppose with boxing it's so obvious that particapants and parents know what theya re getting into

i think some youth football in america limits the amount of heading done in training
Report irishone September 19, 2021 7:38 AM BST
Numpty tries to dominate very thread
Report ericster September 19, 2021 10:13 AM BST
I would have thought that it would make for a better game.
The clue is in the name, "foot"ball.
Trouble is, there's always going to be the highball ...
Report roache September 20, 2021 11:32 PM BST
I can see the day when the namby pambys win and heading a ball is outlawed which will be a retrograde step and not the game we all love,where does this also leave rugby and boxing as it will be ludicrous if heading a ball was banned but boxing is allowed to continue, all it needs is disclaimers signing to be aware of the potential adverse health issues but FIFA will be taking note as they love money money money and will do something drastic in the future to negate the potential of any players suing them for head injuries just like what happened in the NFL many years ago before they made the wearing of helmets compulsory.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com