Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TheBetterBettor
30 Aug 21 22:16
| Topic/replies: 11,036 | Blogger: TheBetterBettor's blog
Wigan hold applause in memory of 'Keith the duck' at half-time vs Portsmouth

Wigan Athletic held a minutes applause at half-time in their League One clash with Portsmouth to pay their respects to Keith, a duck belonging to a fan who passed away

Fans paid their respects to Keith the duck

By

Samuel Meade17:32, 28 Aug 2021UPDATED17:33, 28 Aug 2021

Wigan Athletic held a minutes applause at half-time at the DW Stadium for a duck who sadly died.

The duck - named Keith - belonged to a supporter of the Latics.

An image of the aquatic bird was shown on the big screen at the interval as the 9,571 fans remembered his life.

Keith's death was reportedly posted in a club Facebook group, which caused confusion with many issuing condolences to a fan, before realising it was relating to a pet duck.

Wigan were able to mark the occasion with a 1-0 win over Portsmouth as Callum Lang scored 12 minutes from time.

The 22-year-old was able to poke home after Tom Pearce's cross had reached him at the back post.

Jordan Jones had an early penalty appeal turned down by referee Christopher Sarginson as the hosts started brightly.

Fans stood to remember the duck

It comes after Everton remembered a covid victim called Mike Oxsmall .... and Liverpool fans mourned a dead chicken outside Anfield.....
Pause Switch to Standard View Football fans hold a minutes applause...
Show More
Report tashkent terror August 30, 2021 10:22 PM BST
it was a quacking send off to be fair...ty to the 800+ Pompey fans who joined in Happy
Report TheBetterBettor August 30, 2021 10:35 PM BST
The whole tribute thing at the football match is starting to look a bit farcical now.... maybe its best to put an end to this circus.
Report SirNorbertClarke August 30, 2021 11:30 PM BST
Football units people so why shouldn't people show their united for other causes at matches?

Let the boneheads boo, it just shows their lack of compassion for their fellow human beings.
Report Giuseppe August 31, 2021 2:08 AM BST
fair play to Wigan, nice thing to do
Report LoyalHoncho August 31, 2021 4:03 AM BST
I think every group of fans should invent a tribute for every game and carry it our immediately pre-kickoff.  It will be a very peaceful antidote to this kneeling on one knee brainwashing and browbeating to which we are all subjected before every match.  I congratulate players in Scottish sides, and elsewhere in the world, who refuse to do it.
Report 11kv August 31, 2021 7:25 AM BST
Listen to ole Norbert back on her soap box ,just cant help herself even managed to troll a Ducks passing ffs....
Report SirNorbertClarke August 31, 2021 9:04 AM BST
browbeating to which we are all subjected before every match.

At which match were you browbeaten and by who?

The one game I've been to this season the players took a knee for about 10 seconds and the crowd applauded.

It strikes me the people doing the browbeating are the booers who are constantly telling us how wrong it is to take a stance against racism.

(I do realise I am wasting my time trying to inject a little reason into a discussion overwhelmingly fuelled by institutional racism)
Report stewarts rise August 31, 2021 9:14 AM BST
Love a Duck!
Report DIE LINKE August 31, 2021 9:23 AM BST
They will soon be Rouen the day they started all this!
Report Pilsudski August 31, 2021 11:43 AM BST
It’s all snowflake bollocks.
Report 1st time poster August 31, 2021 12:21 PM BST
not another PHIL JONES thread
Report mecca August 31, 2021 1:15 PM BST
I was at Molineux on sunday... in the 44th minute a prolonged applause started, I didn't, and nobody sitting near me had any idea what it was for ..

maybe it was for the Wigan duck?? ........ It's quackers if you ask me
Report FOYLESWAR August 31, 2021 1:52 PM BST
when i saw this post thought it  was a thread about arsenal!
Report Slicer August 31, 2021 2:49 PM BST
Not a real tribute. If they truly believed in Duck Lives Matter they would've squatted & waved an arm behind them to imitate a duck waddling & waggling its tail!
Report chipbutty August 31, 2021 5:07 PM BST
#QUACK LIVES MATTER.
Report 11kv August 31, 2021 5:11 PM BST
oh no Nobet Norbert gonna go crazy when he see's this post
Report LoyalHoncho September 1, 2021 6:25 AM BST
It has to be the most ridiculous mindset ever imposed upon the British public.  If you kneel on one knee you can't be a racist.  If you don't kneel on a knee YOU ARE!   Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh
And worse.  If you choose not to kneel on one knee YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh
Report rommel September 1, 2021 6:46 AM BST
the BLM protest was about american cops killing black people,in,this country we dont have a lot of american cops
Report rommel September 1, 2021 6:49 AM BST
,cops attitude and treatment of black people in this country needs to be addressed
Report SirNorbertClarke September 1, 2021 9:40 AM BST
LoyalHoncho who has asked you to physically take a knee to prove you are not a racist?
Report DIE LINKE September 1, 2021 10:34 AM BST
Racists up early! Hard to sleep with a troubled conscience.
Report LoyalHoncho September 1, 2021 11:56 AM BST
Well I'm not an athlete so the answer is clear, and the question fatuous.  No-one of course.  And they'd be wasting their breath.  And already we have someone confirming my exact sentiments, calling me a racist because of my stance, no pun intended, thus proving my point exactly.
You have to laugh.
Report Blackrock September 1, 2021 11:58 AM BST
Was the duck white? May have been a racist duck if it wouldn't take the knee.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 1, 2021 12:31 PM BST
So LoyalHoncho we've established that you yourself have never been asked to take a knee. You complained earlier in the thread about being browbeaten, when did this happen?
Report 11kv September 2, 2021 7:01 AM BST
Give it up Nobet you boring coont
Report lfc1971 September 2, 2021 8:47 AM BST
It’s not right for the kneelers to continue if it is offensive to some in the crowd
Easily resolved ask the supporters do they want it to continue , could even vote as they enter the ground  Although bullies such as norbert might not like that idea Sad
Report SirNorbertClarke September 2, 2021 10:50 AM BST
Looks like LoyalHoncho can't tell us when he was browbeaten.

No one is asking fans to do anything. They are just being asked to not boo.

The posters here belittling the players taking a stance against racism or excusing the booing are kidding themselves if they think they aren't racists.

Good thread though, a couple more posters self-identified as racists and can be blocked.
Report lfc1971 September 2, 2021 12:03 PM BST
tut tut , more abusive language from norbert

that’s not good .
Report SirNorbertClarke September 3, 2021 7:57 AM BST
After last night's game in Hungary do any of our resident dinosaurs still think there is no need for players to take a stance against racism or that the booers aren't racists?
Report G Hall September 3, 2021 8:24 AM BST
I think there is more to this booing the kneelers than meets the eye. Is it racist absolutely. In my opinion it is a contrived message ie you are not welcome in my country.
Report Blackrock September 3, 2021 10:21 AM BST
Didn't see the game but presume the knee booers were not England fans?

If thats the case, Hungary are a country that want Hungary for the Hungarians. They are not great lovers of immigration. So Nobby, do you not think the taking of the knee by England players could be seen as inflammatory? And the next point is Britain is NOT  a racist country by and large. Try living in eastern Europe and see the difference between the two.
Report LoyalHoncho September 3, 2021 11:19 AM BST
Well said Blackrock.  The issue is grossly over stated here.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 3, 2021 11:50 AM BST
I have been to eastern Europe and I know they are quite racist.

But if Hungary want to play in international competitions then they can't be doing monkey chants and throwing objects at visiting black players.

They already have a 3 game UEFA ban for crowd behaviour and I imaging they will now have an incoming FIFA ban.

Interesting you think they boo because taking a knee is inflammatory to them as racists. I think the very same goes for fans who boo in England, they're racists.
Report rothko September 3, 2021 12:30 PM BST
Blackrock • September 3, 2021 10:21 AM BST
Didn't see the game but presume the knee booers were not England fans?

there were no england fans at the game
FIFA need to do much more on this

I would like to see more action rather than gestures.
The likes of QPR are doing some fantastic work in the community to make their club welcome to all
Report LoyalHoncho September 3, 2021 1:32 PM BST
So booing because the media has politically mugged the people's game is racism?  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh
Report LoyalHoncho September 3, 2021 1:34 PM BST
Interesting that everyone else in stadium and watching tv heard the calls but because England were conveniently winning and didn't want the game abandoned the Southgate hypocrite didn't take his team off the pitch, as he has frequently said he would do.
Report Giuseppe September 3, 2021 2:24 PM BST
so just to clarify

players are kneeling during premier league games to end racism in Hungary?
Report Giuseppe September 3, 2021 2:25 PM BST
"as long as racism exists anywhere in the world we will continue to kneel"
Report brians September 3, 2021 11:24 PM BST
Gonna be kneeling a long time then. Israelis hate Palestinians, Turkish hate Kurds, Sunni Muslims hate She-ites, Iranians hate Saudis, Russians seem to hate everyone …and so it goes on through history. When the Aliens arrive, someone will hate them. I fail to see how a gesture will change this.
Report lfc1971 September 3, 2021 11:45 PM BST
The England team should learn to behave themselves in a foreign country
Try not to be rude and aggressive England and be nice and others will be nice to you
That’s how it works .
Report lfc1971 September 3, 2021 11:52 PM BST
There’s little doubt the England team are being deliberately provocative and inviting racial hatred
That is maybe something the police should take a look at and maybe have a word with the English FA etc
Technically it’s a criminal offence
Report LoyalHoncho September 4, 2021 4:16 AM BST
Agreed lfc1971.  Please tell the so-called Sir Norbert, the forum's self-appointed racism conspirator and inciter.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 4, 2021 9:09 AM BST
brians
Gonna be kneeling a long time then. Israelis hate Palestinians, Turkish hate Kurds, Sunni Muslims hate She-ites, Iranians hate Saudis, Russians seem to hate everyone …and so it goes on through history. When the Aliens arrive, someone will hate them. I fail to see how a gesture will change this.

I agree taking a knee at a football match is unlikely to change the world anytime soon but it has already exposed the inbuilt racism of many football fans and that can't be a bad thing. It shows even in a country as accepting as England we still have a way to go before we treat all people equally regardless of the skin tone or origin.
Report akabula September 4, 2021 9:17 AM BST
t it has already exposed the inbuilt racism of many football fans
How do you arrive at that?

Whilst I wouldn't boo my team for taking the knee I am opposed to it because of its association with the BLM movement.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 4, 2021 9:33 AM BST
Taking a knee at sporting events was originally the idea of Colin Kaepernick to protest the unjust treatment of black people in America.

It's been copied by English footballers to show their support for a more ethnically equal country. If you actively boo that idea then, no matter how much you kid yourself, you are racist.

I can understand your dislike of BLM, like a lot of social movements they've been hijacked by the Left. I think we all know the players aren't taking a knee for Communism.
Report lfc1971 September 4, 2021 10:29 AM BST
People boo the kneelers because they disagree with their behaviour
You can be in favour of racial equality and not in favour of the kneelers
It’s very possible that each and every one of the booers are not racist
And each and every one of the kneelers are racist.
Report lfc1971 September 4, 2021 11:04 AM BST
Trevor Sinclair ex England footballer convicted of racial public order offence
Sinclair , a patron of the charity Kick It Out , continued being racist after he was taken to the cells at Blackpool police station
Report brians September 5, 2021 9:37 AM BST
Sir Norbert . No matter how you kid yourself , you are wrong.
Report LoyalHoncho September 5, 2021 11:46 AM BST
The real racists in this scenario are those who continually foist this politically motivated brainwashing on people who pay good, hard-earned money to WATCH their favourite sport.  And it is deplorable how - and to a man/woman - sycophantic media personnel have turned tapsalteerie and spout all sorts of supportive drivel as it takes place to ensure they get that month's salary.  And every other month's.
Get this aberration out of our game and take it to the streets where people can watch it OR OTHERWISE!
Report SirNorbertClarke September 5, 2021 12:07 PM BST
brians
Imitation is the most sincere for of flattery.

Do you boo when someone crosses themselves before a match?

Do you boo someone when they turn their palms skyward in Dua?

Why do you find taking a knee so inflammatory?
Report moisok September 5, 2021 12:51 PM BST
They try to hide the salute to BLM by now calling it anti discriminatory - I wonder what they will call it next and will they be including adverts for sainsburys  - they should never have allowed politics like this into football
sky no longer posting the BLM symbol in the left hand corner
Report moisok September 5, 2021 12:58 PM BST
norbet  -  blm was never hijacked by the left  - it was always that way - run by millionaires too
Report moisok September 5, 2021 1:00 PM BST
browbeating -  continual lectures on you favourite sports programme - you ought to see the propaganda and lectures before the F1 races
Report LoyalHoncho September 5, 2021 1:08 PM BST
I've given you the reasons, quite plainly.  What people do in religious and faith terms is entirely appropriate and acceptable, as they come on, as they play, as they score, whatever.  This knee business is a blatantly political act and has no place in sport.  This movement, such as it is, has hijacked and ambushed football, by design.  It is deliberately inflammatory in my view.  Take it elsewhere, along with your open hostility and refusal to consider to any other view bar your own.
Report moisok September 5, 2021 1:12 PM BST
it legitimises the BLM movement which has taken 90 million plus and made at least one millionaire and others have excellent careers out of it.
Just like the other movements the wag the dog so to speak.  A superb money making idea using the mugs to feed them cash.  They appear to do nothing about the community here in London.  But quite good on the free open shopping.Devil
Report brians September 5, 2021 1:14 PM BST
Norbert
You cant call everyone a racist because of one thing they do. Are people who buy white cars racist? Some boo as they disagree with politics in sport, some because they dislike the BLM political ethos, others for other reasons .
Its not excuse enough to say “ Oh , they've been hijacked. “  Who has hijacked you ?
Report moisok September 5, 2021 1:20 PM BST
and personal appearances - speaking and book deals making thousands at each event
Report moisok September 5, 2021 1:25 PM BST
co founders cullors and garcia are quite honest about their marxist background -
you will not like her history and influences  -Weather Underground - go look it up

So much for the idea blm was hijacked - like I said, it was always run by a marxist leadership
Report lfc1971 September 5, 2021 1:32 PM BST
Taking the knee is passive aggressive - not good . And those who insist it should continue in the face of many ( imo a majority may be wrong )
should be charged with incitement . It is a dangerous way of going about things as passive aggressiveness can lead to violence as we see from the racial crime statistics - most of which in Britain  are offences against white people
Report SirNorbertClarke September 5, 2021 5:51 PM BST
Can someone please answer a very simple question: what has Marxist economic policy to do with any fight against racism?

No waffle please.
Report tobermory September 5, 2021 9:27 PM BST
Who said anything about economic policy? Nobody thinks that Rashford et al want to collectivize farming.

Concepts such as White Privilege that were used to justify the kneeling when it started here originate from self described Marxists.
Report liam1982 September 6, 2021 1:23 PM BST
There's only one group of people the police in England fear and that's the black community,
Report SirNorbertClarke September 6, 2021 4:51 PM BST
Thanks for self-identifying as a racist liam
Report LoyalHoncho September 6, 2021 8:09 PM BST
You are disgusting, latest contributor, so much so I'm not going to use/type your username again.  You seem to think you can use this forum as you wish to call anyone/accuse anyone you want, a racist.  Hopefully we never get to the stage where we have racial disturbance in this country but if we do it will have been people such as yourself who will have incited it.
I'm giving you notice now.  If you call anyone else on here a racist I will report you to the forum moderators.
Your decision.
Report treetop September 8, 2021 10:31 PM BST
Well said honcho,this all began with Blair trying his arm at getting MP's to sign up to his diktat or be deemed a racist. Every Labour MP on QT tried that trick to smear anyone that didn't accept his control freakery.
Report SirNorbertClarke September 8, 2021 10:53 PM BST
My daughter went to Poland for a wedding. She said the only thing the Poles wanted to speak about was the number of Muslims in Britain.

No surprise the racists booed tonight. No surprise the EU looks the other way.
Report moisok September 8, 2021 11:11 PM BST
People should be concerned  - the new census will be interesting - do you think they are counting the Dinghy people?
Report moisok September 8, 2021 11:12 PM BST
20,000/300   Ghaddafi  had it right
Report GLASGOWCALLING September 9, 2021 11:01 AM BST
What was SirNobHeeds previous Username ??   Probably Banned for the same Shyte he is spouting now. !!
Report GLASGOWCALLING September 9, 2021 11:05 AM BST
My daughter went to Poland for a wedding. She said the only thing the Poles wanted to speak about was the number of Muslims in Britain.

Report SirNorbertClarke September 9, 2021 12:46 PM BST
GLASSGOWCALLING it's 100% true.
Report Giuseppe September 9, 2021 12:50 PM BST
"No surprise the racists booed tonight. No surprise the EU looks the other way."

should the EU impose economic sanctions on Poland for the booing?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com