Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rommel
22 Aug 21 08:47
| Topic/replies: 30,387 | Blogger: rommel's blog
Liverpool
Liverpool great Terry McDermott diagnosed with dementia
Former England midfielder has Lewy body dementia
‘The number of ex-players being diagnosed is frightening’
Pause Switch to Standard View Liverpool great Terry McDermott...
Show More
Report bungalow bill August 22, 2021 9:46 AM BST
It never struck me that Terry Mac headed the ball that much, certainly compared to others.

Lewy body dementia is often associated with Parkinsons, and Lewy body can attack people slightly younger than other dementias, and many people who have never headed a ball in their lives often suffer from it. Terry is 70 this year.

Sometimes Lewy body does not wreck the memory as badly as others do.
Let's hope the new drugs being developed right now in the U.S.A will soon come on stream and can help both Terry and Denis.
Report themightymac August 22, 2021 7:57 PM BST
That is very sad news to hear. Great player was Terry and a decent guy.
Report olddesperado August 22, 2021 8:00 PM BST
Best wishes to him .

Hopefully they diagnosed it early.
Report stewarty b August 22, 2021 8:03 PM BST
Met him once, a nice guy but what people don't realise is this is the biggest killer in the UK. For every one well known footballer who gets it, at least 5000 members of the public get it. It's not related to football.
Report 1st time poster August 22, 2021 8:14 PM BST
well said stewarty,getting ridiculous now without naming every other person who is diagnosed the numbers mean nothing,could be equally because footballers have a history of a lifetime burning the candle at both ends
Report rommel August 22, 2021 8:48 PM BST
this  from a good while back cant even remember who said it and from what era really-might have been as early as the 40s or summat-dunno,this player arrived at his new club and they were ff heading medicine balls(if memory serves,med balls weighed about 20 ff pounds-bigger than footballs-plz feel free to correct me on this)
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- August 22, 2021 8:51 PM BST
Might have been Chris Sutton, talking
about his dad?
Report elisjohn August 22, 2021 9:18 PM BST
of course its not related to football,( people get old ), but terry mac was part of the best midfield in history, and im a man u fan, terry, souness and r kenneddy
Report HallGreenSpy August 22, 2021 10:01 PM BST
LEGEND
Report smirnoff2therescue August 22, 2021 10:12 PM BST
met him at Stanley dogs on a wet n windy Monday night when him and Big Billy Whitehurst were playing for the toon - the previous Saturday Terry Mac had been sent off playing away at Burnley in a 1-0 defeat if i remba rightly -83-84 season -they had big nets up to foil supporters chucking stuff at each otha and to this day ive never seen bigger advertising hoardings going at the time .
Wot he did wiv Keegan some 10-12yrs later will always live in the memory

God Bless Terry LoveLoveLove
Report HallGreenSpy August 22, 2021 10:19 PM BST
Fair play smirnoff. Proper doggy man Terry
Report smirnoff2therescue August 22, 2021 10:51 PM BST
for Hall Green taken from wiki

In the northerly part of County Durham stands the former colliery town of Stanley and the Murray Park Stadium was built on the site of a football pitch on the east side of Ridley Street, Church Street and Joicey Square. The track would later be known as Stanley Greyhound Stadium and could be accessed from its south side off the Chester Road or High Street.[1]

The track ran as an independent (unaffiliated to a governing body) at this stage and had no connection with either the British Greyhound Tracks Control Society (BGTCS) or the larger rival National Greyhound Racing Club (NGRCS).[2]
Report smirnoff2therescue August 22, 2021 10:52 PM BST
Greyhound racing started on Thursday 26 August 1937 when five thousand people witnessed the first ever meeting with the first past the post being a greyhound called Beatrice May who stopped the clock at 18.30secs for 305 yards.[3] It was described as having a small circumference of 367 yards resulting in race distances of 275, 450 and 635 yards of which most were handicap races.[2]
Report smirnoff2therescue August 22, 2021 10:53 PM BST
The totalisator turnover was significant for an independent track and towards the end of the war only Ashington in the county returned better figures than the 1947 figure of £750,765 posted by Stanley.[4]

The promotion of Arthur Seymour and his wife Lily resulted in the track racing under NGRC rules towards the end of the decade, in the 1949 listings the track raced every Monday and Saturday at 7.00pm.[5] The NGRC affiliation only lasted five years because during 1954 the decision was made to revert to independent status due to the fact that the NGRC refused to allow Stanley to race under a C-Licence. This type of licence was available to trainers who owned and trained a small kennel and if the tracks operated under what was termed the 'combine' they could allow C-Licence trainers race nights. Only Gateshead and South Shields remained in the combine following the withdrawal of Stanley.[6]

On Saturday 2 October 1954 the track re-opened to independent racing with the press reporting a packed house and it remained as a 'flapper' (nickname for unaffiliated tracks) afterwards. Throughout the 1960s racing took place on Thursday and Saturday nights at 7.15pm over distances of 277, 460 and 637 yards behind an 'Inside Sumner' hare system. The main races hosted at the track were the Sprint Classic, Stanley Derby and Stanley St Leger.[7]

Closure
Report smirnoff2therescue August 22, 2021 10:53 PM BST
Closure
Stanley survived until 29 October 1994 when sold for housing.[3]
Report HallGreenSpy August 22, 2021 10:56 PM BST
Nice one smirnoff. The figures around greyhound racing, attendances, turnover etc in old days would stand today. Truly amazing times and never again
Report smirnoff2therescue August 22, 2021 11:16 PM BST
Sports dying on its arse mate but one exception is Hove - i was a regular at Stanley which was easily 5-10 times better than its sister track Pelaw which has survived and become an NGRC track or woteva they call it these days - no comparison in the tracks tbh except Pelaw is a tight track that throws up lumps n bumps - anyways lived at Eastbourne 2-3 yrs early in 80s and was spoilt by a train ride to Hove evry Sat night - recently went there afta a 30 yr plus sabbatical and amazing to see wot they hav done wiv place say in comparison to Brough Park that has hardly seen a lick of paint LaughLaughLaugh
Report HallGreenSpy August 22, 2021 11:22 PM BST
We had a nice raid at Brough in the nineties when the 'Supertrack' thing was on. Journey home always better with a win. Was nearly going to Hove this week, but Fontwell got abandoned so having to do Yarmouth horses and dawgs instead.
Report Darlo Bantam August 23, 2021 12:09 AM BST
For every one well known footballer who gets it, at least 5000 members of the public get it. It's not related to football.

Perhaps, but it's been scientifically proven that footballers are 5x more likely to develop dementia than the average person.
Report smirnoff2therescue August 23, 2021 12:10 AM BST
you me and slippy shud do a hove meet next year -me n sleepy are fooked wiv health but im newcastle united will neva be defeated mate as long as i can
Report LoyalHoncho August 23, 2021 1:43 AM BST
The last three trophies the toon won the teams were all captained by Jocks.  I';ve asked many toon fans over the years who they were, and when, and what the trophies were, and not one has a clue.  The average toon fan, sadly, couldn't even tell us who their best ever scorer was, and he was Scottish too.  They're still the first English result I look for though and good luck to them.
I remember a taxi-driving mate of mine telling me he picked a lad up with the colours from the station rank in Edinburgh at 11 pm one busy Saturday night.  Paid him about £180 for a lift home (to somewhere like Blyth), just north of Newcastle.  He'd been to see them in London where they got gubbed, had a few on the train home, fallen asleep and ended up in the Sottish capital.  He told me he'd never seen someone more depressed in his life.  As he got out at the end he said - "I've followed ma team for thirty years or more and never seen them win owt"!
Poor lad.  That'll be forty years now.  Sad
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com