Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
salmon spray
13 Jul 21 15:02
| Topic/replies: 51,673 | Blogger: salmon spray's blog
Generally expected to be first choice left-back but didn't get on the pitch at all. Is it because his grandfather played for Corinthian Casuals at football and Cambridge University no less at cricket ?
Just asking.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 32
By:
jollyswagman
When: 13 Jul 21 16:39
Laugh very good.

surely if all the footballers are marxists having a relative at the home of 'the cambridge five' should have got him a start?
By:
DIE LINKE
When: 13 Jul 21 16:52
Depends, are we talking Daily Mail/Express, mortgage and one foreign holiday a year middle class or the real middle class?
By:
salmon spray
When: 13 Jul 21 22:44
If his grandfather went to Cambridge just after the war I think we're probably talking real middle class.
Don't think Marcus saw Ben down the food bank.
I must admit I was just a bit surprised that we had somebody in the squad who really hasn't got typical working class roots. Nothing to do with race btw,as John Barnes was another one who came from a relatively wealthy background.
By:
Capt__F
When: 13 Jul 21 22:47
Rooney from other side

Ireland prob lucky J Charlton not around
By:
n88uk
When: 13 Jul 21 23:46
Shaw was generally expected to be first choice left back coming in.
By:
LOU MACARIS TARTAN B
When: 14 Jul 21 08:18
I'm a United fan and trying not to be biased Shaw has been fantastic for us this past season even getting Player of the Year I do believe?

Once again he was surely one of England's better players in the Euros so I'd have picked him over Chilwell anyway.  Rashford on the other hand has had a poor season and I think it only right that he took no part whatsoever (pretty much) in the Euros.
By:
lfc1971
When: 14 Jul 21 08:28
Hasn’t Leeds striker Patrick Bamford had to claim he wasn’t middle class ?

At one point as a young footballer at Burnley he had to ask Sean Dyche why he wasn’t playing any matches
Dyche replies by asking who came with him when he was thinking about playing for Burnley
And Bamford replied it was his parents
Dyche then said something like that’s why

That’s the mentality . Bamford went on to play well for Leeds
Maybe should have featured for England in the Euros ?
By:
salmon spray
When: 14 Jul 21 10:20
I'd agree Shaw was one of England's better players but certainly 6 months ago Chilwell,who is the younger of two,looked a shoo-in. In the first match neither was picked and Trippier,essentially a right-back ,played at left-back. Also Chilwell had to fight for his place at Chelea when Tuchet (?) arrived but ended the season as 1st choice. The Italians played Chelsea's 3rd choice against us.
By:
loui
When: 14 Jul 21 10:38
Don't think racism is the question here more like why haven't some very talented players who can change games had hardly a kick in the tournament. As it was going along was thinking maybe he didn't think they had enough experience of competitions  like this. Which would make his penalty takers choice ridiculous. Got to the final but can't help but think he played it far too safe, subbing Grealish being prime example of it.
By:
salmon spray
When: 14 Jul 21 10:48
I don't think racism played any part in Southgate's selections either. I don't think he's keen on Grealish because he tends to do his own thing rather than fit in to a pattern. Fine at Aston Villa where he is clearly their best player but not for the meticulous Southgate,who I agree tends to err on the side of caution.
lfc is right about Bamford btw. He went to an independent school where they only played rugger,has 4 "A" levels and plays 4 musical instuments. No wonder he didn't make the final squad     Grin
By:
Shanelee1966
When: 14 Jul 21 11:51
I`m somewhat surprised re Southgate and Grealish salmon.

If he was Italian/German would he have been a regular in their side. I think so.
By:
Shanelee1966
When: 14 Jul 21 11:56
How you keeping salmon?
By:
salmon spray
When: 14 Jul 21 12:19
Need a bypass Shane. I'm managing but not much more as get out of breath looking at a flight of stairs.
It's been dragging on for 18 months for obvious reasons, but looks as though I might be quite near the top of the ladder now.
By:
Shanelee1966
When: 14 Jul 21 12:29
Sorry to hear buddy. Wish you all the very best.

Good heart team at the Northern General i hear.
By:
themightymac
When: 14 Jul 21 13:34
Sorry to hear that too Salmon. I wish you all the best mate.
By:
salmon spray
When: 14 Jul 21 15:13
Thanks both.
I've been impressed by the NG staff having had bad experiences with other hospitals so I'm hopeful of being a new man by Xmas   Happy
By:
elise
When: 14 Jul 21 15:18
hi salmon, gl with the health thing, all the best
By:
Shanelee1966
When: 14 Jul 21 15:30
Hope so salmon, you know where i am when you`re better if you fancy a couple of pints Grin
By:
jollyswagman
When: 14 Jul 21 15:33
good luck salmon spray.

not quite the same thing but hopefully not too dissimilar for the thread was the experience of graeme le saux who, despite having an absolutely gorgeous argentian wife and two children, was subject to repeated homophobic abuse throughout his playing career- i seem to remember that he read the guardian rather than one of the red tops, apparently that was a giveaway.
By:
Giuseppe
When: 14 Jul 21 15:36
i always assumed the booing was for reading the guardian not for being gay
By:
jollyswagman
When: 14 Jul 21 15:42
he isnt gay.

dont know about the crowds but robbie fowler flashed his @rse at him and gave him grief, even his own team mates gave him pelters. being a bit different to the average player certainly had a cost for him.
By:
second again
When: 14 Jul 21 15:55
I dont know if it is true but I read the Liverpool players thought G. Souness was gay because washing after training he used aftershave.
By:
Jack Hacksaw
When: 14 Jul 21 16:24
Surprised there isn't a support group, and maybe wristband, for the poor, picked upon middle class lads, fighting against the odds to be accepted as a professional footballer.
By:
macarony
When: 14 Jul 21 16:29
Football was a working class sport up until about 25 years ago
By:
Jack Hacksaw
When: 14 Jul 21 16:30
Instead of taking a knee, maybe all 22 players and officials could adopt a ballet pose in support of them.
By:
Jack Hacksaw
When: 14 Jul 21 16:31
It was almost entirely 25 years ago.  Now it is a sport for everyone.  Now you can sit down.
By:
macarony
When: 14 Jul 21 16:35
Can't beat the stands
By:
penzance
When: 14 Jul 21 17:28
hope your operation goes well and you can enjoy
Christmas.
   GL ATB.
By:
DIE LINKE
When: 14 Jul 21 17:51
all the best with your OP salmon spray, you are a true gent!
By:
fife
When: 14 Jul 21 18:33
All the best to one of the decent posters.
By:
kincsem
When: 14 Jul 21 19:01
salmon spray
I had a bypass in June.
It was minor, the least important of four arteries.
In on Monday, op on Tuesday (they put in a stent); out lunchtime on Wednesday

You will be ok.  Take care.
By:
Capt__F
When: 14 Jul 21 21:37
Salmon S

wishing you all the best
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies: