Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
LOU MACARIS TARTAN B
12 Jul 21 17:27
| Topic/replies: 11,976 | Blogger: LOU MACARIS TARTAN B's blog
He pretty much came on for about 20 - 25 mins every game which isn't ideal I know.  Did he play a full game once too I think?

My question is the whole crowd roar and think this great player is coming on but what did he actually do?  He chipped about a 10yd pass to the far post for Sterling to score and in another game tapped a ball about 10yds sideways for Kane to score but other than that?  Last night again what was the great stuff he did?

He's obviously a talented player but it's almost as if this great Messiah has turned up who some think he's a 9/10 player but seriously what's the big deal with him.  We know you can blow him over too which is a shame as he spoils himself so whilst he's a good player yes, he's not great is he and certainly in about 5 or 6 appearances at The Euros did very little.
Pause Switch to Standard View Serious Grealish question
Show More
Report Giuseppe July 12, 2021 6:32 PM BST
in nearly all the games (the friendlies which he started, and the games here where he came on as sub) he created chances and was involved in the goals when on the pitch
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 12, 2021 6:34 PM BST
If he signs for man utd you will
find out, and being blown over
will become relentless fouls.
Report ProSniper July 12, 2021 6:38 PM BST
Show pony.
Report JJmbe July 12, 2021 6:40 PM BST
The saviour of jock football, made a few passes in a 0-0 now out on loan at mighty Norwich, i give you the poor mans Grealish, Billy Gilmour LaughLaugh.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B July 12, 2021 6:44 PM BST
jjmbe

Oh I'm not saying Gilmour is much good at all.

Back to Grealish though I just don't see what he's done really in all of those appearances at The Euros, hardly anything.  The two goals he set up were two 10yd passes, hardly 'Wow' is it?

The whole crowd cheers "YEEEEEESSSS" as he's coming on but seriously whilst he's no doubt a decent player I just think he's not that good.
Report ProSniper July 12, 2021 6:47 PM BST
Gilmour is the new Iniesta.
Report JJmbe July 12, 2021 6:47 PM BST
Cant say i've watched many 90 mins matches to say either way, is he on the move this season.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 12, 2021 6:51 PM BST
Man City sniffing around Grealish too.

Think they want haaland first.
Report 1st time poster July 12, 2021 7:46 PM BST
nice pics of grealish giving his boots to young lad in the crowd

lad put them on and fell over Laugh
Report unitedbiscuits July 12, 2021 8:00 PM BST
don't see Grealish as a Manchester United player any more than Joe Cole or Matt Le Tissier but if mistaken - good luck with that signing!
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B July 12, 2021 8:43 PM BST
You see I thought Joe Cole had a certain 'something' about him and was always considered a good player rather than England's saviour "Get him in the team" type of thing and hardly a'Wow' player.

Yet there's such a clamour for Grealish as this kind of 'Wow' player, "Get him in the team Southgate" yet what did he actually do?  As I pointed out, two sideways 10yd passes for a couple of goals is hardly great is it?
Report unitedbiscuits July 12, 2021 8:48 PM BST
I remember England fans in 2010 braying for Joe Cole - ha came on last 20 mins, did his thing (ran into a blind alley) and England were going home from SA on the morning flight.
Report HallGreenSpy July 12, 2021 9:00 PM BST
We know you can blow him over too which is a shame as he spoils himself so whilst he's a good player

Do well at Utd imo Devil
Report themightymac July 12, 2021 9:11 PM BST
Fans of the older generations are fed up watching players passing the ball backwards and sideways. Edge of opponents box and end up backwards and sideways back into their own half. Grealish is positive and a breath of fresh air compared with the majority. Mind you, the other thing that annoys fans over 50 is players following over at the sign of someone tackling them.
Report Whisperingdeath July 12, 2021 9:15 PM BST
Lou Lou

People get excited when he comes on because he takes the attack to the opposition. Does anybody really enjoy watching tika taka  sideways and backwards passes? So boring!

Unfortunately we did not get the chance to see what he could really do for England. I just hope in September he gets a run along with Foden and Bellingham is my star for the future. He has the energy and skill to give impetus to England which was sadly lacking. No shots on target after the goal?
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B July 12, 2021 9:17 PM BST
mighty

Yes I agree he has something I just think he's far too overrated that's all.

And yes all players fall over at the mearest touch but he's the worst culprit.  Shake hands at the start and he hits the deck.  Shame he spoils him self as he does have some talent.
Report themightymac July 12, 2021 9:18 PM BST
I just said that. Devil
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B July 12, 2021 9:19 PM BST
whispering

Like I said yes it's better than side to side I just think England fans think he's some sort of saviour when in fact overall he did very little.  No shots after the goal in 2 minutes is shocking I agree but to me that's England all over.  Very difficult to beat but offer little going forward.
Report themightymac July 12, 2021 9:20 PM BST
My reply was to whisper.

That is true Lou. The point I was making. Imagine them getting tackled by Souness Shocked
Report themightymac July 12, 2021 9:22 PM BST
He didn`t exactly get much of a chance Lou tbf.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B July 12, 2021 9:22 PM BST
Yes I know.

All players do it which is a real shame and specially these days but him more than most is just shocking for it.  Touch his fingertip accidentally and over he goes.
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B July 12, 2021 9:23 PM BST
mighty

No he never got much of a chance I agree but from what we did see ..........."The Great Jack Grealish"?  Not for me he's not sorry.
Report RioGrande July 12, 2021 9:30 PM BST
why didnt he take the last **** penalty u dumb ****
Report LOU MACARIS TARTAN B July 12, 2021 9:31 PM BST
Rio

In English please?
Report Whisperingdeath July 12, 2021 9:35 PM BST
I just said that

Laugh

Yes you did! Apologies!

Going into the Tournament the problem was our defence. Now it is the composition of the midfield and attack. We cannot play all our attackers but we need to give some of them a chance rather than 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs, 2 holding and Mason Mount!
Report themightymac July 12, 2021 11:31 PM BST
Grin
Report ffaith July 13, 2021 7:37 AM BST
The situation regarding Grealish we the English should be used to it by now.  Sigh.  Sir Alf set the precedent in 66 by sidelining another player with the initials J.G.  Wash and repeat each generation since has had a player/players deemed too colourful to fit into the dour, grey vision of the manager.

WD to Southgate for getting to the final but I thought he did a number on Grealish.  Sapped him of his confidence in the end Grealish was just another risk adverse robotic player just how Southgate likes them

Grealish was the chief casualty of the cautious, conservative approach but the Germans couldn't understand Bellingham and Sancho being overlooked either
Just my opinions though
Report Whisperingdeath July 13, 2021 11:06 AM BST
Stats

450 passes

92% success rate

Wtf!

Any stats in how often a player passes the ball forward?
Report howard July 13, 2021 11:41 AM BST
Just look at Villa results with or without him. He's likely to move for a record British fee shortly.
Report thelatarps July 13, 2021 12:35 PM BST
Its pretty clear to me that the England mens team needs to be built around Grealish.

England wilted under Italian possession the other day. When Grealish came on that seemed to stop and england saw more of the ball.
The thing about Grealish is that he plays for an underdog team in the EPL.
Season before last Villa were embroiled in a relegation battle. They entered the penultimate game of the season at home to the Arsenal needing a win. They managed it 1-0 if memory serves. Grealish was imperious. Head and Shoulders the best player on the park. against a supposed top 6 team.
It was just the sort of position in which ENgland will find themselves at major tournaments.

But that is the problem isnt it?
It seems that to get on with england you have to go and sit on the bench of a champions league team.
If Grealish goes to CIty he may find his talent getting blunted if he doesnt get game time.
I hope he stays at Villa and England employ him the way Villa do.

But I doubt that will happen.
Report brians July 13, 2021 1:05 PM BST
Show pony.
Report lurka July 13, 2021 1:07 PM BST
So swap one all eggs in one basket approach for another?
It's a bit more complicated than that. He should be integrated into the team but you need a few more ideas than relying primarily on one player or one tactic. None of the top sides are heavily reliant on one player any more.

And you have to accommodate a player like Grealish - he is not good defensively and you need others to make up for that behind him.
Grealish came on with 20 mins of ET to go. England saw more of the ball because it was ET and neither team was going all out for the win then. The Italians didn't keep up their tempo and dominance once they equalised. They let up a bit and they were happy to take penalties by the time Grealish came on.
Not playing for a CL team has nothing to do with it. The manager doesn't like players who don't offer something defensively and prefers players like Mount and Saka who do. He even took him off after bringing him on to defend a lead. If that doesn't confirm that to you then I give up.

Rice and Phillips don't play CL and they both started every game in the most important area of the pitch but passed the ball sideways more like centre halves would to their full-backs.

Bellingham is the player I'd be looking at to make a difference for England. You have no central midfield and didn't for the entire tournament. Playing CL KO stage in CM at 17 is a more phenomenal talent than Foden or Grealish.

The manager has worked with these players for years now and is playing like Arteta at Arsenal but with much better players to choose from. He is a big problem for England going forward in terms of getting the best out of the talent you have, nearly all of whom are attack-minded players.
Report HistoricWarwick July 13, 2021 1:14 PM BST

Jul 13, 2021 -- 6:35AM, thelatarps wrote:

Its pretty clear to me that the England mens team needs to be built around Grealish.England wilted under Italian possession the other day. When Grealish came on that seemed to stop and england saw more of the ball.The thing about Grealish is that he plays for an underdog team in the EPL.Season before last Villa were embroiled in a relegation battle. They entered the penultimate game of the season at home to the Arsenal needing a win. They managed it 1-0 if memory serves. Grealish was imperious. Head and Shoulders the best player on the park. against a supposed top 6 team.It was just the sort of position in which ENgland will find themselves at major tournaments.But that is the problem isnt it?It seems that to get on with england you have to go and sit on the bench of a champions league team.If Grealish goes to CIty he may find his talent getting blunted if he doesnt get game time.I hope he stays at Villa and England employ him the way Villa do.But I doubt that will happen.

What was the last successful team built around one player?  Sounds like tactical suicide to me and more so when by man marking him you neutralise him.  Unless your middle name is Armando and you can rightfully claim to be the best player ever, that strategy has never worked.

Report Whisperingdeath July 13, 2021 1:33 PM BST
Bellingham is the player I'd be looking at to make a difference for England. You have no central midfield and didn't for the entire tournament. Playing CL KO stage in CM at 17 is a more phenomenal talent than Foden or Grealish.

I had been saying Bellingham could have been the star of the Tournament had he been given the chance. He has a great motor, holds the ball well in tight situations all at 17 years old. He could become something special. Who to play around him is the question and how.
Report lurka July 13, 2021 1:35 PM BST
Central midfield is always about a 2 or 3 man partnership (depending on how many you want in midfield) who compliment each other, never about one player or two individuals.

Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes all had a Keane, Makelele, Xabi Alonso/Lucas beside them who allowed them to flourish but the English media never gave them as much credit. They were probably more irreplaceable than the players beside them, Keane and Makelele certainly.

Stick Bellingham in with Rice and you'd be much improved and a lot less predictable.
Report Whisperingdeath July 13, 2021 1:49 PM BST
I was impressed with Phillips as water carriers go. Hope he can develop his game a little more or have more freedom to play football. Rice was decent too but we certainly don't need both!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com