Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
unitedbiscuits
11 Jul 21 22:00
| Topic/replies: 15,617 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog
Sterling

Grealish
Pause Switch to Standard View England players who went hiding at...
Show More
Report Deptford July 11, 2021 11:02 PM BST
Stirling would have fell over on run up
Report tobermory July 11, 2021 11:03 PM BST
Sterling is a woeful finisher so can't blame him.

Grealish should have stepped up to justify the hype.
Report tobermory July 11, 2021 11:03 PM BST
Tony Adams and Ince and Euro 96
Report roache July 11, 2021 11:04 PM BST
We lost because we are carp at penalties end of been happening for decades,too many times it happens and to only score 2 out of 5 penalties is abysmal
Report ballyregan July 11, 2021 11:04 PM BST
sterling mbe bottled it and passed it to the kids
Report impossible123 July 11, 2021 11:06 PM BST
England has not learned despite disappointment after disappointment on penalties.
Report scandanavian_haven July 11, 2021 11:07 PM BST
when was Adams ever a pen taker, the strikers and mids should all go first
Report Pilsudski July 11, 2021 11:09 PM BST
Why are two subs who never touched the ball taking a penalty?
Report Dr Crippen July 11, 2021 11:12 PM BST
Who was that one who did a little dance in his run up, sent the goalie the wrong way, and with three quarters of the goal to shoot at hit the post.

Lol.

How much a week do they pay him?
Report impossible123 July 11, 2021 11:12 PM BST
Only in an England team penalties are taken by the inexperienced. Now, when will my winning bet be settled?
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! July 11, 2021 11:13 PM BST
Their thinking about it

MONKEYS
Laugh
Report lurka July 11, 2021 11:15 PM BST
I'm sure they practised and Steling was prob cráp and Saka good. You can't replicate the pressure. Saka awful pen but the more experienced players should have been stepping up for a 19yo kid
Report cruso July 11, 2021 11:15 PM BST
Was Grealish  allowed to take one.?
For me Englands most talented player but not liked by Southgate
Report LoyalHoncho July 11, 2021 11:15 PM BST
Southgate blew this.  This game was in the fcking bag.  All he had to do was go for a second but he never got them out of first gear.
Report Dr Crippen July 11, 2021 11:18 PM BST
England's finest can't score penalties.
Report DIE LINKE July 11, 2021 11:22 PM BST
The English bottle it again.
Report jackkat July 11, 2021 11:23 PM BST
I'm beyond amazed Sterling did not take a pen f bottler
Report Racingqueen July 11, 2021 11:25 PM BST
Sterling is a coward. He's hugely over rated and never seems to link up with others in play. Like an old fashion winger
Report ericster July 11, 2021 11:28 PM BST
I think the big names, like Grealish, should have stepped [because] of their reputations.
What goal-keeper would [want] to face so called big guns [like] Grealish, [like] Sterling?
But it's all water under the bridge now.
Life eh?Plain
Report Dr Crippen July 11, 2021 11:32 PM BST
The Italians cheated - their goalie was too big.
Report sickoflayinwinners July 11, 2021 11:34 PM BST
must agree with honcho , the italians were all over the show but as soon as we scored  new shut up  shop.if wed have goner it we could have     been home n hosed  at ht.the  teams we play against must think"thats handy  thieve left  all thgeir best players on the bench again and have brought on   henderson who's  not remotely fit"
Report grayhawk July 11, 2021 11:40 PM BST
I wouldn't blame any player for not taking OR missing a penalty but the last English player i would want taking a penalty is Sterling ( had a cracking tournament )..his technique is terrible

Would rather have Pickford having a go...
Report unitedbiscuits July 12, 2021 9:10 AM BST
We keep reading that Grealish and Sterling are the most technically gifted English footballers. At 25 and 26, they are not kids.

I wonder how far they were down the running order for taking a penalty last night.
Report Timber July 12, 2021 9:20 AM BST
Southgate and the team had already decided the penalty takers before the game started, and the specific order
Report unitedbiscuits July 12, 2021 9:23 AM BST
Exactly. It wasn't just a failure of nerve on the night. You have to question the character of Grealish and Sterling, for ducking out of that responsibility.
Report GAZO July 12, 2021 9:29 AM BST
maybe those five were the best penalty takers ?
Report stewarts rise July 12, 2021 9:34 AM BST
I thought it looked quite clear that Southgate and his staff picked the order of penalty takers, directly pointing at them telling them which penalty they were to take, nothing to do with players hiding. Bad luck lads anyone can miss a penalty under that pressure.
Report Racingqueen July 12, 2021 9:50 AM BST
Southgates wallowed on for years about how he practices penalties and last night he sends up a 19yo to keep his country in the hunt?

Sterling is a bully of small teams. Any half decent team and the coward goes missing. Grealish is no better. All tattoos and haircuts and when the pressure is on the 2 cretins let a kid cover for them.

That England team lost because they lacked character in attack.
Report lurka July 12, 2021 10:37 AM BST
Penalties aren't the main problem, although opposition sides will always fancy themselves against you on pens given your record and be happy to see you not going for the win before then. If Italy didn't fancy themselves, they'd prob have gone for the win more before pens and would prob have got it.

Italy looked rattled for about 15 mins after the England goal and England could have gone for a second. But they way the rest of the match panned out afterwards, if you'd got it Italy would have got two back. But they only needed one, got it and were happy to have penalties as a fall-back after that.

100% Southgate practices pens and knew his best takers and selected them. Everyone knows he's meticulous about that and bringing on Rashford and Sancho confirms it too. The 3 missed pens were very poor, but I think it's as much about mental strength as technique in an environment like that and you can't replicate that in training. Don't think he took that into account.
Report Pilsudski July 12, 2021 10:42 AM BST
ONE shot on target.Enough said.
Report Rider July 12, 2021 11:04 AM BST
This england team was nothing like the one of 1996 in terms of character, in the extra time against germany they went hammer and tongs to get the golden goal, last night the 2021 version seemed too scared to try, in some ways it might have been better if we had conceded the first goal early because we just sat back and played for the 1-0, all in all we never found out how good we could have been because we played within ourselves
Report unitedbiscuits July 12, 2021 11:33 AM BST
Spot on Rider.

A lot of people watched the full length broadcast of the '66 final on Saturday. Also a full length replay here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3bcX8NaYW0

They say players are much fitter now but I wonder. They certainly play less football in ninety minutes now. When was the last time you saw England take a quick free kick?  Last night, from the second minute, England were taking 30 seconds before putting the ball back in play. It was almost as if the ref had unofficially let it be known how much timewasting he would tolerate. This was an England team scrambling for the finish line as soon as they got in front.
Report penzance July 12, 2021 11:33 AM BST
looks like the Grealish slaggers have him all wrong.
Report unitedbiscuits July 12, 2021 11:37 AM BST
Uh huh.

Did he say where he was in the order from 6 to 10, penzance?
Report penzance July 12, 2021 11:43 AM BST
wanted to be in the 1-5.
People are too quick to slag,not knowing the facts.
Report Angoose July 12, 2021 11:49 AM BST
If penalties were never missed, there would be no point in having a penalty shoot out.
Hugely disappointing for England fans, but you had a great tournament so focus on that rather than the last few minutes.
Report smartpunter July 12, 2021 12:05 PM BST
We didn't just miss one penalty we missed three out of five. UNFORGIVABLE
Report swiftynifty July 12, 2021 12:21 PM BST
On the bright side plenty of new faces for another Pizza Hut ad.
Report Crisp77 July 12, 2021 12:40 PM BST
I think it will be Nandos not Pizza Hut
Report ballyregan July 12, 2021 12:48 PM BST
gareth will make sure the adverts will be for a vegan company he loves the politically correct angle
Report sofaking July 12, 2021 4:47 PM BST
Apparently Grealish wanted to take a penalty but I believe that Gareth wanted certain players to be the heroes (if you know what I mean).  To put 19 year old Saka (who's never taken a penalty at a competitive level before) in that position was a horrific blunder.
Report sparrow July 12, 2021 4:51 PM BST
Bring back replays rather than this penalty nonsense. Its no way to decide such important competitions.
Report sofaking July 12, 2021 4:54 PM BST

Jul 12, 2021 -- 10:51AM, sparrow wrote:

Bring back replays rather than this penalty nonsense. Its no way to decide such important competitions.

Would you be saying that if England won by penalties sparrow? Silly

Report unitedbiscuits July 12, 2021 4:59 PM BST
Apparently Grealish wanted to take a penalty but I believe that Gareth wanted certain players to be the heroes (if you know what I mean).  To put 19 year old Saka (who's never taken a penalty at a competitive level before) in that position was a horrific blunder.

What absolute poppycock.

1) Grealish consenting to take a penalty - "I said I will"- means nothing:- every player on the field has to be somewhere in the pecking order.

2) I know what you mean and I'll spell it out:- you believe Southgate promoted those players because of their colour. Get out of here.
Report sparrow July 12, 2021 5:12 PM BST
sofaking 12 Jul 21 15:54 
Jul 12, 2021 -- 3:51PM, sparrow wrote:

Would you be saying that if England won by penalties sparrow

Definitely sofaking as I've always loathed this farcical way of deciding a football match.  And failing that a golden goal.
Report Giuseppe July 12, 2021 5:12 PM BST
Gareth seemed tobe talking to the players and writing stuf down before the shootout

i'm not sure the order was set in stone beforehand

"Apparently Grealish wanted to take a penalty but I believe that Gareth wanted certain players to be the heroes (if you know what I mean).  To put 19 year old Saka (who's never taken a penalty at a competitive level before) in that position was a horrific blunder. "

interesting

politics + possible dislike of Grealish the reason Saka not Jack was number 5?

Grealish subbed as a sub in semi final, and only brought on after 9 minutes in the final?

everything good there?
Report Giuseppe July 12, 2021 5:12 PM BST
99 minutes
Report Giuseppe July 12, 2021 5:13 PM BST
has Grealish ever taken a penalty for Villa?
Report swiftynifty July 12, 2021 5:14 PM BST
He should never have selected Grealish in his squad only to appease the press. He would have had more faith in Lingaard to rise to the challenge.
Report Giuseppe July 12, 2021 5:14 PM BST
agree with replays

have one replay, then penalties
Report Giuseppe July 12, 2021 5:15 PM BST
"Grealish consenting to take a penalty - "I said I will""

why was he asked? surely Gareth was making a decision on the order
Report unitedbiscuits July 12, 2021 5:22 PM BST
Only England players to come out with credit from the debacle are Kane and Maguire.

Nothing wrong with subbing on players to take pens in minute 121 but obviously speaks poorly of the other players who were shuffled behind them.
In racing terms, timeform would describe Grealish as unreliable.
Report lfc1971 July 12, 2021 5:26 PM BST
The problem with Grealish reg pens is he’s a midfielder who doesn’t score goals
That type of player is a prime candidate likely to miss a penalty
Report lfc1971 July 12, 2021 5:28 PM BST
It’s a mindset rather than any technical limits with those players
Report lfc1971 July 12, 2021 5:29 PM BST
Ince , batty that type of player , even waddle
Report Giuseppe July 12, 2021 5:29 PM BST
Grealish has scored 29 goals in 185 league games for Villa, that's not bad considering he doesn't take their penalties

not sure if he takes free kicks or not

saka has 6 goals in 59 league games for the arsenal
Report sofaking July 12, 2021 5:31 PM BST

Jul 12, 2021 -- 10:59AM, unitedbiscuits wrote:

Apparently Grealish wanted to take a penalty but I believe that Gareth wanted certain players to be the heroes (if you know what I mean).

Report lfc1971 July 12, 2021 5:31 PM BST
You see they’ve gone their whole career not scoring goals , there’s a reason
Report sofaking July 12, 2021 6:07 PM BST
Unitedbiscuits, yes I do believe that some of Southgate's decision making for this tournament may have been "politically" motivated.
Report unitedbiscuits July 12, 2021 6:20 PM BST
Unitedbiscuits, yes I do believe that some of Southgate's decision making for this tournament may have been "politically" motivated.

I'll take the liberty of speaking for the England manager then: you're wrong.

If either of us were flung into Southgate's position at 10:30 last night, we would have done what he did and everybody else would do:- send into battle the players who would give England the best chance of success. And if Sancho and Saka are those, what does that say about Sterling and Grealish?

I'm sure you haven't really thought through what you have said, sofaking, because penalties can go either way; and when the expectations of a country come crashing down on the penalty taker's head, that is a hard burden to bear. As Southgate knows.
Report REDROB July 12, 2021 7:23 PM BST
Sterling has missed his last 3 pens in the prem for city, grealish not took a pen for villa in more than 2 years, as for henderson , southgate said after his miss against romania that he would probably never take a pen for england again.
Report swiftynifty July 12, 2021 7:27 PM BST
In that case Shaw should've stood up. In good form, warm from playing, and left backs have a good penalty record, well Dicks and Pearce did!
Report LoyalHoncho July 12, 2021 7:30 PM BST
Southgate blew it U.B.  He maintains that every kicker volunteered but he is lying, as can be seen from any recording you may still have.  He went around the milling squad with his bit of paper and you could see him verbally asking " are you still ok to take one".  Now, my point is this.  They may have already agreed to take one in advance, I don't know, but he most certainly put ( Saka in particular ) players on the spot by asking them that question.  What are they going to say in that split second?  Not no that;s for sure.
The buck stopped with Southgate and he should have picked the penalty takers himself.  Simple as that.  LaughOtherwise what is the point of him being in charge?   In the next match is he going to ask players if they want to strip to play or just sit on the bench?
And, as Roy Keane so astutely observes, senior players should have been embarrassed to chicken out and put such pressure on the two young ones whose kicks failed.
Report LoyalHoncho July 12, 2021 7:32 PM BST
Sry - don't know how the "laugh" icon got there.  Not at all deliberate.  Don;t know how it got there - I tried to put the next sentence in bold and somehow this happened?
Report Dr Crippen July 12, 2021 8:28 PM BST
Southgate playing a blinder on the news.
He's managed to deflect attention away from England's abysmal performance and focus attention on the antics of the fans.

The way he was talking you'd think the fans missed all those penalties.

It's easy to see why he's a surviver.
Report impossible123 July 12, 2021 8:48 PM BST
The football thugs without tickets who overcame the stewards and gate-crashed the game ought to be brought to justice eg put them in a cage and water-cannoned them; their employers should be informed and those on benefits have the benefits confiscated. These people ruined the game and be banned for life at Wembley.
Report sofaking July 12, 2021 9:27 PM BST

Jul 12, 2021 -- 2:48PM, impossible123 wrote:

The football thugs without tickets who overcame the stewards and gate-crashed the game ought to be brought to justice eg put them in a cage and water-cannoned them; their employers should be informed and those on benefits have the benefits confiscated. These people ruined the game and be banned for life at Wembley.

Yeah, I saw some videos of these absolute savages gate-crashing the game, beating the crap out of innocent people and ruining the day of small kids. And then some videos from before the games of scumbags on the streets on London throwing bottles and generally wrecking the place. These dirtbags need to be rounded up.

Report HallGreenSpy July 12, 2021 9:28 PM BST
Some awful scenes throughout the day and no doubt after. Yes please round em up and give em the justice they deserve.
Report impossible123 July 12, 2021 10:27 PM BST
May I suggest flogging them in public eg Hyde Park Corner? These scumbags must not be allowed into Wembley stadium in the future.
Report LoyalHoncho July 12, 2021 10:41 PM BST
You're not expecting police apologist and statue ripping supporter Cressida Dick to make an effort to "detect" these people are you?
However, if one of them had pyshed near the cenotaph she'd have gotten her truncheon out.  You know, that figurative one she keeps for ceremonials!  If there has ever been a bigger waste of space than her in Met. history feel free to name him or her here.
Report grumpyjim July 12, 2021 11:14 PM BST
positives .. beat by a penalty too many scored against .. it doesnt get any closer ..  inability to keep the goal lead after   half time .. and Italy striking top gear but unable to win in second half  . a team thats won  32 games and great penalty shoot out keeper .. all too much in the ...END  .. they done a real feat to get to the place in this final.ITALIAN Manager was spitting blood not finishing it off at 90 mins .. he has a lot of the T SHIRTS FOR THIS TYPE OF ENVIRONMENT ..  TO WIN .. CREDIT WHERE ITS DUE ..  England gave by far the best shot possible .. in all the games .. ENJOY  .. Beautiful Game .  has to be a loser on the travels .. still well done in defeat .
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com