Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ballyregan
11 Jul 21 21:58
| Topic/replies: 1,081 | Blogger: ballyregan's blog
why let the kids take  the penalties when there was so much at stake?
Pause Switch to Standard View gareth southgate the choice of...
Show More
Report JML July 11, 2021 11:00 PM BST
Why didn't you ask BEFORE they missed.
Report ballyregan July 11, 2021 11:02 PM BST
because i was watching the game and swearing at southgate for making another strange decision i then posted it sorry
Report brians July 11, 2021 11:07 PM BST
Got to say I was saying this before they missed. He sent on two players who had not kicked a ball all night and then a 19 year old rookie. Top goalscorers on the pitch and on the bench , never used.
Report JML July 11, 2021 11:08 PM BST
You won't be the only one swearing at him Cry
Report Pilsudski July 11, 2021 11:10 PM BST
Three substitutes taking a penalty?
Report ballyregan July 11, 2021 11:10 PM BST
brilliant young players but these penalties were beyond huge the older players should take the lot imo
Report cruso July 11, 2021 11:11 PM BST
Was surprised to see Sako taking the 5th pen ... thought Grealish & Shaw would have taken one but he has been almost excluded from any action.
Rashford & Sancho brought on just for pens  but both missed.
At the end of the day Pens are a lottery ( or are they ) but Donnaruma had our boys no.
Report LoyalHoncho July 11, 2021 11:12 PM BST
And two of them had only kicked the ball about once during extra time!
Report Racingqueen July 11, 2021 11:13 PM BST
Sterling let a 19yo take a peno Laugh
Report ballyregan July 11, 2021 11:14 PM BST
southgate likes to be different probably thought youngsters dont understand the magnitude and will take them without fear all three youngsters look scared stiff
Report JML July 11, 2021 11:16 PM BST
Perhaps It would have been wiser for them to take the earlier penalties.
Report Racingqueen July 11, 2021 11:18 PM BST
Saka looked like rabbit in headlights after coming on
Report TheBetterBettor July 11, 2021 11:19 PM BST
His laser pen ran out of batteries.
Report ballyregan July 11, 2021 11:19 PM BST
jml you are correct saka had to score the last to stay in pressure must have been beyond immense
Report Ramruma July 11, 2021 11:24 PM BST
Possibly if the subs had come on with 10 minutes to get into the game. Rashford in particular would probably have scored: he sent the keeper the wrong way. WD to Pickford btw.
Report pipedreamer July 11, 2021 11:25 PM BST
Correct,i told Man U fan that when Rashford missed (two on the trot ?) the other year,that he was too young and inexperienced to carry the responsibility of taking pens,especially if the pressure was on.
If goalies go the right way they don't save it, if you put it higher.I posted before,if you can't send the goalie the right way you shouldn't be doing this side foot pushing of the ball.Even on a one on one with the goalie even in play thru with just the goalie to beat,i would flash at the ball and even i didn't know where the ball was going.Blut flashing at the ball gives it top spina nd it goes fast then the ball dips suddenly and loses forward momentum.The goalie had no chance.
Remember Jahrzino of Brazil getting teed up by Pele when they beat us 1-0 ?.He smashed the ball and it dipped under the ball.The sheer pace beat the goalie.
Have a look at it on u tube.
How many players do you see kicking the ball like that these days ?.It's all about percentages,and if you want to score this represents the best way of being successful.How many times do you see a player DRAG his shot across goal when he shoots ?.This is because he's kicking the ball as if he's PASSING the ball not Shooting. Side-footing a ball is for passing, unless you can do it successfully, don't try it when taking a penalty.WE OBVIOUSLY CAN'T,so tell them to STOP IT.
Report ballyregan July 11, 2021 11:27 PM BST
pickford must be gutted another day his two penalty saves especially the last would have have made him win everything national hero forever this years sports personality of the year the lot he has had an great tournament but it could have been alot better for him
Report now wheres that switch!!! July 11, 2021 11:28 PM BST
Sterling bottles taking a pen!!
Report LoyalHoncho July 11, 2021 11:36 PM BST
England needed big Tam Gemmell.  What a penalty he took.  If the goalie did get near it it took him into the net too!
Report Coachbuster July 12, 2021 2:06 AM BST
if  he hadn't let the kids take the penalties and the more exp missed  esp Henderson,Sterling  ,Gareth wouldn't have heard the last  ...he did the right thing at the time
Report lurka July 12, 2021 2:45 AM BST
It was down to performance in training because they definitely practice them and have done for years.

But you can't replicate pressure in training.

Maguire and Bonucci (and Kane) two of the best pens, two leaders.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com