Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
bungalow bill
10 Jul 21 08:44
| Topic/replies: 262 | Blogger: bungalow bill's blog
Former Ipswich and England footballer Paul Mariner has died at the age of 68.

Paying tribute to the striker, who scored 13 times for his country, the England Twitter account posted: "We're sad to have learned that Paul Mariner, who made 35 appearances for the #ThreeLions, has passed away at the age of 68.

"Mariner represented England between 1977 and 1985, scoring 13 goals.

Always enjoyed watching Paul play. Far too young to go.

RIP  Paul.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 32
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 10 Jul 21 09:00
rip, scored in 1982 wc v france.
By:
Mr Spock
When: 10 Jul 21 10:13
100% player who never went missing in a game not like some of todays overpaid charlatans.
By:
ashleigh
When: 10 Jul 21 10:26
sad news ripSad
By:
HallGreenSpy
When: 10 Jul 21 10:28
Indeed very sad.  So young also. RIP Sad
By:
rommel
When: 10 Jul 21 10:46
v sad news,as said too young
By:
rommel
When: 10 Jul 21 10:47
2 year old clip,his 66th,RIP
By:
rommel
When: 10 Jul 21 10:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck5NEzrdZhU
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 10 Jul 21 10:50
Quite a gent by all accounts.

Excellent for Ipswich. My abiding memory of him for England though is constantly getting up off the groundLaugh

Football has lost a good one.
By:
----you-have-to-laugh---
When: 10 Jul 21 10:54
Sad news, always remember
him with Billy Rafferty.
By:
sparrow
When: 10 Jul 21 11:17
A really good player R.I.P. Paul.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 10 Jul 21 11:43
Sad to hear about this today, Paul was a very good centre forward who possessed a lot more skill than most of the big lumps at the time, part of Ipswichs' best ever team, him and Trevor Whymark had a great partnership, the generation after the World Cup winners starting to go now, RIP Paul.
By:
The Dragon
When: 10 Jul 21 11:45
sad news indeed thoughts go to family and friends RIP
By:
Rider
When: 10 Jul 21 12:11
Sad news and also a pity he didnt live to see England in the final tonight, I watched that Ipswich team many times as a boy, Mariner really good in the air, brave and always a threat, missed a sitter in the fa cup final but they won anyway! great bloke RIP
By:
Rider
When: 10 Jul 21 12:13
*tomorrow night
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 10 Jul 21 12:28
I doubt if half of you on here had even thought of or about him for years!
By:
HallGreenSpy
When: 10 Jul 21 12:29
Of course not honcho and why would we? Good player in his day and sad to hear of his passing that's all.
By:
snowynoon
When: 10 Jul 21 12:51
I remember him well ,as much for Arsenal as for Ipswich ,and often leading the line for England ,was a decent centre forward ,may he RIP.
By:
chewy11
When: 10 Jul 21 13:04
Started out at Chorley. We've got 1 of his shirts from Spain '82 in the club house. He still used to come on when he was in UK, will be sadly missed.
By:
mecca
When: 10 Jul 21 13:26

Jul 10, 2021 -- 6:28AM, LoyalHoncho wrote:

Someone mentioned on another thread yesterday about England beating France in WC '82... I could remember Bryan Robson first minute goal.. watched the highlights on youtube yesterday.. Mariner got the third..

I hadn't thought about Paul Mariner for years,.... until yesterday.  Then heard the sad news today .. strange coincidence?

By:
DirkDiggler
When: 10 Jul 21 13:27
RIP.
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 10 Jul 21 14:21
I well remember big "Jaws", Tam Forsyth, having both him and Mick Channon on toast at Hampden one sunny Saturday.
Channon, in particular, ssshat his-self!
By:
mecca
When: 10 Jul 21 14:29
One of the greatest days in recent memory, as a Wolves fan, was when Steve Bull came on as a sub for England at Hampden ... it was also a sunny Saturday,,

.. don't forget we were a third division side having just got promoted from the 4th. To have a Wolves player in the England squad was a miracle to us... anyway, Bully smashed it in with more or less his first touch in the game... Wolverhampton erupted... a great day..
By:
mecca
When: 10 Jul 21 15:09
Sorry folks... this is a thread about Paul Mariner... but LoyalHoncho got me thinking of sunny Saturdays at Hampden
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 10 Jul 21 15:14
Loved him when i was a kid, proper striker. rip
By:
Whisperingdeath
When: 10 Jul 21 16:00

Yes I thought about him yesterday too! Was thinkin* about the ‘82 World Cup and how we got eliminated without losing a game. Keegan and Brooking were injured so only gi5 26 minutes. We beat a French team that included Platini, Alain Giresse and Jean Tigana. They also had the great Marius Tresor.

Mariner indeed got the third.
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 10 Jul 21 16:05
I was at that match.  Couldn't believe how good Bull was. Industrious, aggressive, skilled, impossible to keep on a leish.  Yep - smashing player.  Should have had loads more caps in my view.
By:
sickoflayinwinners
When: 10 Jul 21 16:06
mariner was a brilliant old fashioned  centre forward  , not without   decent touch on the ball either
By:
Emitdeb
When: 10 Jul 21 17:41
Me and some school pals went to a WCQ against the mighty Luxembourg.. Remember singing his name (he was sub)  12 years old..

RIP.
By:
sixtwosix
When: 10 Jul 21 19:46
A great player as part of a magnificent team .....how they did not win the league I still do not know.

RIP
By:
Capt__F
When: 10 Jul 21 23:02
RIP
By:
alun2005
When: 11 Jul 21 11:07
Sad news indeed.
By:
rommel
When: 11 Jul 21 11:50