Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
unitedbiscuits
07 Jul 21 15:50
| Topic/replies: 16,153 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog
Awful pundit. It is terrible that ITV give voice to his brand of cynicism dressed up as patriotism.

What broadcasters would do well to remember is 1) not everybody watching is rabidly biased and 2) the most important segment of the audience are the young, who will remember clearly this game in their dotage, even when they forget what they stood up for. They should not be exposed to the kind of cheating that Dixon (and others) praise. That is not what sport should be about.
Pause Switch to Standard View What's wrong with Lee Dixon
Show More
Report stewarts rise July 7, 2021 4:04 PM BST
Haven't seen what you're referring to but professional footballers have a win at any cost mentality, and fouling, wasting time etc is what they are expected to do if necessary to win a game.
I can well recall Bob Mcnab also of Arsenal criticising Keith Newton in the 1970 semi final against Germany for not putting his head into the Germans face to prevent him heading the ball back for Muller to score the winner. The Italians have always been masters at it.
Report Whisperingdeath July 7, 2021 4:07 PM BST
Yep. listen to Cundy on Talksport!

I don't like it personally but that is how some of them play so you have to understand.
Report LoyalHoncho July 7, 2021 4:11 PM BST
Well said u.b.  I agree completely.  Dixon is quite the poorest commentator/pundit I have ever heard.
Report wallis July 7, 2021 4:35 PM BST
Spends every England match moaning about Grealish not being on the pitch , then when he comes on and plays cra'p he still praises him to high heaven.  Utterly blinkered and offers nothing.
Report Whisperingdeath July 7, 2021 4:37 PM BST
Crealish should be on the pitch and has not played cra'p
Report unitedbiscuits July 7, 2021 4:39 PM BST
Thank you, LoyalHoncho.

Maybe Dixon shouldn't be singled out cos I haven't heard one commentator much different where England are concerned. And I'm sure stewarts rise is right when he says they were the same 50 years ago.

Last match, even when England were four up with eight minutes to go, Rashford still kicked the ball in the wrong direction after hearing the refs whistle. It is wrong for kids to see that behaviour on the pitch validated by commentators. Not only validated, it's almost as if these ex players are saying "If you want to be a professional footballer, this is your template."
Report wallis July 7, 2021 4:42 PM BST
done very little whispering death.   Put in a dreadful cross that luckily Harry Kane contorted his body to nod in and had a deflected cross put away as well.  If Kane hadnt made such a great effort the media should have got stuck into him for a shocking ball.

Southgates no idiot , knows he cant keep the ball or defend , thats why he is 4th choice out wide.
Report SlippyBlue July 7, 2021 4:56 PM BST
The fact of the matter about footballers in general is that basically they are thickets. If you took their average I.Q. and divided that by 5 there is a very strong chance you'd be left with a single figure. Didn't Graeme Le Saux get lambasted by the the troglodytes in the dressing room because he had a passion for antique furniture and visited art galleries as well as reading the broadsheets and not the Daily Sport?
Report Capt__F July 7, 2021 4:58 PM BST
G L S was considered Gay as he read The GuardianSad
Report Whisperingdeath July 7, 2021 4:59 PM BST
We are watching different games wallis
Report SlippyBlue July 7, 2021 5:06 PM BST
Yes Captain,  I forgot about that one. Despite him being married with children he was indeed questioned about his 'lifestyle because of that, well remembered.
Report wallis July 7, 2021 5:09 PM BST
I thought Kane bailed him out by getting his head on it - a straight forward cross (as Shaw has been doing) and he was lucky Kane was so good.   I would think in Southgates mind Saka , Mount , Foden , Sancho and as you said on the other thread Bellingham are all above him in the pecking order.
Report Giuseppe July 7, 2021 5:13 PM BST
deserves to be questioned for reading the Guardian in my opinion
Report unitedbiscuits July 7, 2021 5:16 PM BST
Well, to digress, being a "luxury" player isn't a bad career if you're English. Joe Cole, Jack Wilshire..

Shame for their sense of worth though.

For some reason our flair players rarely become world class. Rooney would be closest. Too much too soon imho.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 7, 2021 5:18 PM BST
It's always confusing when these
old pros talk about cheating fairly.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 7, 2021 5:19 PM BST
Nobby stiles, bless him, is up
for sainthood whilst the argentinians
were labeled animals.
Report Jack Hacksaw July 7, 2021 5:54 PM BST
Italy v Spain.   A game made much more enjoyable by players not 'going down easily'
Report unitedbiscuits July 7, 2021 5:55 PM BST
Yes.

Matt Busby was no angel. Nor Sir Alf.
Report LoyalHoncho July 7, 2021 7:59 PM BST
Steve Heighway had a 2:1 degree and fitted in at Liverpool like a glove.  Because he never got above himself.  Reading the Times in any social situation is just asking for ridicule.  I had a met who we called the "Sunday Times Supplement" because he thought that reading it put him way above the rest of us.  lol.  It used to annoy the fcuk out of him!  Laugh
Report unitedbiscuits July 7, 2021 8:02 PM BST
Ian St John was on £40 a week, playing alongside "the graduate."

Not making a point, just an interesting perspective.
Report unitedbiscuits July 7, 2021 9:29 PM BST
"Grealish just steps across a defender, really intelligent play."
Report Jack Hacksaw July 7, 2021 9:56 PM BST
If Klinsman taught us how to dive, we taught the world how to go down easily.
Report Jack Hacksaw July 7, 2021 9:56 PM BST
If Klinsman taught us how to dive, we taught the world how to go down easily.
Report unitedbiscuits July 7, 2021 9:57 PM BST
Kane an embarrassment. Sterling no better. Grealish..no comment necessary.
Report unitedbiscuits July 7, 2021 10:01 PM BST
"goes to ground"
Report Jack Hacksaw July 7, 2021 10:17 PM BST
Raheem showed the cheating foreigners how the game should be played.
Report unitedbiscuits July 7, 2021 10:19 PM BST
Raheem can't help falling over his feet.
Report wallis July 7, 2021 10:27 PM BST
Grealish hauled off   Laugh

"Ive done my job Jack , given the crowd and media a look at you , but all youve done is fall over and give the ball away every opportunity... hit the pine. "
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com