Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
pipedreamer
29 Jun 21 13:12
| Topic/replies: 659 | Blogger: pipedreamer's blog
If a player can't send the goalie the wrong way when he is taking a penalty,then he should use top spin on the ball.A penalty taken with a fast run up and fired with top spin ,(sometimes referred to as flashing at the ball ),will sink any goalie.The ball goes very fast early and then dips suddenly.Even if the goalie goes the right way,he may have it covered  width wise but has no idea when the ball is going to dip.
The ball either dips under his hand or if hit high,it dips under the bar.
I sight Johnny Rep,who scored twice for Holland against Ray Clemence.Twice Rep flashed at the ball with sharp top spin,Clemence dived and had it covered width-wise,but the ball both times dipped under his arm.Another example is in the classic semi,Arsenal v Man U.Having collected the ball from a bad Arsenal pass,Giggs went on a run went round two defenders and as Seaman came out and went down on his knees and spread his arms and legs,Giggs smashed/whipped the ball over Seamans head.How many times have we seen similar situations where the player kicks the ball straight at the goalie!!!.?
Percentage-wise a whipped ball shot at goal is best,preferably if you transfer your weight thru your body so that you get full force behind it .Scotland forwards take note:when you shoot at goal you have to take you other foot off the ground to transfer weight to your shot !!!!
The penalty miss by the Belgian ? the other day was a side foot where he showed the side of his foot to the goalie.A side foot telegraphed pass is what you do when you are back-passing to your goalie.
You are showing him where the ball is going .Why any player should adopt this when taking a penalty is a mystery.In fact what is all this shooting at goal where they are attempting to pass the ball passed the goalie.
IT'S CRAP !!!.You side foot a pass and you SHOOT at goal a different way.Ok if you CAN steer the ball over the goalies head ok,But who in the England team are really known for being entirely successful at it !!.
A whipped ball into the goalmouth even causes defenders a problem.I've seen defenders lean forward to head a ball clear only to find themselves flat on the floor because they have followed the flight of the ball and it has dipped.A hard whipped ball in can easily hit a defender in the chest as he is deceived by the sudden dip, and fall to a forward running in,and a great chance of a goal is on.
Better to do this than crosssing the ball only 3 times in a match and hoping to win 1-0 !!!!!!!,as England have done so far !!!!!!!!!.
Anyway comments please i would be very interested.
Pause Switch to Standard View Penalties.Stop all this side-footing...
Show More
Report TameTheTiger June 29, 2021 2:22 PM BST
Isnt that how alot of successful free kicks are scored, hitting the ball with almost the toe of the foot at force, creating top spin and causing the ball to dip ? (see Ronaldo)
Report ericster June 29, 2021 2:23 PM BST
I totally agree pipedreamer, just kick the fkn ball.
I've often wondered if down to those pretty ballet-shoes they all wear.
Report lurka June 29, 2021 2:31 PM BST
Seen a phenomenal amount of penalties scored in shootouts lately. Last night and the EL final being examples, and a lot of them hammered with the side of the foot and excellent penalties. Keepers having to keep one foot on the line makes penalties a lot easier to score now.

Ronaldo is not a good example of successful free-kicks. Scored 1 in his last 50 for Portugal at major tournaments - the one against Spain in 2018 WC which wasn't hit like that I don't think. Think he hit that with the side of his foot, certainly looked that way from how the ball moved.
Report TameTheTiger June 29, 2021 2:32 PM BST
Baffles me how a professional footballer ever fails to kick it past a bloke standing 36 feet away, into a goal 8 feet high and 24 feet wide
Report 1st time poster June 29, 2021 2:34 PM BST
would be if it were true tiger but how many are scored as of a % of the 1000,s of free kicks taken,as wrighty said ronny is foooooking hopeless at free kicks,goals wise
Report TameTheTiger June 29, 2021 2:34 PM BST
Yes a bad example of successful ones, but thats how he kicks it usually.
Report Slicer June 29, 2021 2:34 PM BST
As anyone who studied Physics would know, Force = Mass x acceleration. You cannot change the mass of your foot but you can change acceleration with which the foot kicks the ball. If the ball is stroked or passed past the goalie, the placement must be perfect as there is little force. There is absolutely no way a goalie should be able save a forceful shot with reasonable placement by an international footballer. Acceleration is provided by a decent run up as a prelude to kicking the ball. I hope that the England team read this posting just in case it goes to penalties this evening. But my guess is they'll be working out which hair styles they'll be adopting instead!
Report 1st time poster June 29, 2021 2:35 PM BST
to prove the point yet to see a goal from a direct free kick in this tourney  out of how many attempts
Report lurka June 29, 2021 2:36 PM BST
For me, where/how you place your standing foot is very important in taking a penalty. It is possible to position your standing foot so that if you put the ball as far/left right ( depending on what foot you kick with) as you possibly can it will go into the side netting but is almost impossible physically to put it wide, if you know what i mean. Players/coaches don't seem to pay any attention to this.
Report 1st time poster June 29, 2021 2:38 PM BST
beckham,ward prouse,pirlo,messi are actual free kick experts spend hours practising every day,but the likes of lakaku just walked up the other night and brayed the ball one day one will fly in but he,s no expert,he,s basically just hitting a free kick like he,d hit a corner in to the box
Report DIE LINKE June 29, 2021 3:25 PM BST
side foot placement is key, right in the sweet zone in the upper third of the goal as near to the post as possible. Think of all the famous bottle jobs, all blasted over the bar.
Report pipedreamer June 29, 2021 3:37 PM BST
Tiger,you sight Ronaldo as an example,and you ask "How are A lot etc".Well how many are like Ronaldo ?,well,not many are like Ronaldo.
I was talking about Penalties and shooting in play,and bally whipped in from the wing.Are you not talking about Free kicks ?.which are an entirely different matter.
Of course there are some players that do what you say,but most aren't English !!,and certainly not Scottish or Welsh,(e.g. Ramsey's shot over the bar).
Report pipedreamer June 29, 2021 3:41 PM BST
Tiger,Ronaldo,is surely an exception to everything.Other players with free kicks tend to side foot with slice and bend it into a corner.
Report pipedreamer June 29, 2021 3:49 PM BST
Good comments guys,but maybe,mixing up penalty taking and free kick taking in a conversation is a bit confusing, as a penalty kick, and a Free kick against a wall of Defenders calls for entirely seperate ways of striking the ball.Most of it, depending for example, as to where the free kick is taken from,so we are getting a  little bit mucked up in our debate here.Still,some good points on offer.
Report tobermory June 29, 2021 4:02 PM BST
I agree with Die Linke that a well executed sidefoot is the most unsaveable.
Report boxingthefox June 29, 2021 4:04 PM BST
When you see a player start his 'run uo' outside the box you know it's likely to fail.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com