Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
portmanpark
23 Jun 21 20:58
| Topic/replies: 7,568 | Blogger: portmanpark's blog
lucky germans
Pause Switch to Standard View jammy germans have a bye to the last 8
Show More
Report roache June 24, 2021 8:04 AM BST
Sadly this is what normally happens England meet one of the big boys and out they go,its been happening for the last 55 years and the hope has been drained out of me Cry
Report ericster June 24, 2021 8:40 AM BST
Not lucky imo,
they have a level of determination and grit that we can only dream of.
Report ericster June 24, 2021 8:49 AM BST
Also, look at the substitutions.
Fresh legs, fresh legs, fresh legs, they threw everything they had at hungry.
Herr Low, wasn't prepared to accept defeat without a fight.
Take note GS.
Report portmanpark June 24, 2021 9:16 AM BST
that "english" youngster who came on looked good
Report ericster June 24, 2021 9:39 AM BST
Who?
Report portmanpark June 24, 2021 9:58 AM BST
jamal musiala....choose germany over england.....bayern munich ex chelsea
Report portmanpark June 24, 2021 9:59 AM BST
played under 16s 17s 18s and 21s for england
Report ericster June 24, 2021 10:27 AM BST

Jun 24, 2021 -- 3:59AM, portmanpark wrote:

played under 16s 17s 18s and 21s for england

Then came to his senses.

Report snowynoon June 24, 2021 11:02 AM BST
Did any of you actually watch Germany play last night ,they were so lucky to get through ,scraped a draw at home to Hungary ,hardly created any chances ,they are rubbish ,and now have to play England at Wembley .Can see England strolling through that game .
Report portmanpark June 24, 2021 11:21 AM BST
snowymoon....what about the german team unlucky against france and thrashed portugal??....and were England good against scotland
Report portmanpark June 24, 2021 11:22 AM BST
i am patriotic unless there is money involved....germans 2nd favs is a great bet
Report snowynoon June 24, 2021 11:39 AM BST
i didnt think them unlucky against France ,thought they played similar to last night ,devoid of ideas and didnt create anything .Portugal game they were much better ,and deserved to win though some of the goals were gifted to them .Englang havent been good but ,have better players in my opinion than Germany.
Report snowynoon June 24, 2021 11:39 AM BST
i didnt think them unlucky against France ,thought they played similar to last night ,devoid of ideas and didnt create anything .Portugal game they were much better ,and deserved to win though some of the goals were gifted to them .Englang havent been good but ,have better players in my opinion than Germany.
Report portmanpark June 24, 2021 11:54 AM BST
snowy..10 shots to 4 for the germans...better expected goals
Report portmanpark June 24, 2021 11:55 AM BST
in the france game..10-4
Report unitedbiscuits June 24, 2021 1:49 PM BST
Not this time Hans.

This is England's final. England shall win this game and ride a wave of hysteria to the quarter-finals, maybe the semis, maybe even the final.
Report stattman June 24, 2021 2:01 PM BST
United
The last 51 years tells me you are wrong .Better England teams than this dross could not do it ,and from what i have seen against 3 basic opponents it is not our time .
Report unitedbiscuits June 24, 2021 2:17 PM BST
This is a Germany team with a death wish, imo.

Best scenario for a neutral would be Germany scoring first otherwise, England will play for 1-0. If Germany score first, they will keep the game open and I see England counterpunching quickly through a Kane header. England then should flourish and go in front around 75mins but none match the Germans for late goals and I see them scrambling an equaliser in injury time. Nothing daunted, Kane rattles one in off the crossbar in extra time. VAR temporarily disabled. With England clinging on, ze Germans throw everyone into attack but the last attack breaks down, the ball is fed to Kane - people are on the pitch, they think it's all over -
Report ericster June 24, 2021 2:28 PM BST
Would love to see that ub but I see Sterling getting yet anther early goal, Kane barely getting a kick of the ball, safety first eh? And us losing 2-1.
Hope I'm wrong.
Report ericster June 24, 2021 2:29 PM BST
So come on England, have a go eh? It's okay to lose, if you turn up and play.
Report Aspro June 24, 2021 2:31 PM BST
Klinsmann said the other day that when you're in a tournament you just have to go for it; you've waited long enough for it to arrive. Might explain why Germany have been far superior to us over the years. Too much caution with England and managers who have no balls.
Report Aspro June 24, 2021 2:33 PM BST
And agree with Kane ericster... protecting himself for the move is a strong possibility.
Report ericster June 24, 2021 2:45 PM BST
Yes Aspro, absolutely.
Would like to see most of those who played against the czechs start against Germany.
Grealish, Saka, Walker, Maguire, and Sterling, must start imo.
Saka said something about being told to just go out and play [his] game and look how [that] went.
These players are in the squad because of how they play for their clubs, well let them play ffs.
But first, sit them all down and make them watch that Hungary game. Show them what courage commitment and a desire to win looks like.
How about if they [all] did that? And then on 60 minutes, at the very latest, whatever the score, throw all of the substitutes on.
Blitz the Germans with fresh bodies and, hopefully, play them off the park.
In my dreams eh.Cry

Kane? I was thinking about this fear of losing mentality but yes, you could have something there.
Report boz2 June 24, 2021 3:09 PM BST
I can't believe England are favorites to qualify for the quarter finals.  People seem blind to history and recent results.  England have scored two goals against very weak opposition in this competition while the Germans have scored 6.  We haven't beaten Germany in a meaningful game since 1966. Even in 1970 when we had a superb team we still managed to stuff it up. 
The Germans only ever really perform when they have to.  They could afford to lose to France but then really needed to turn up against Portugal, which is exactly what they did.  A draw was good enough last night so that's what they took.  Time and time again England choke when it really matters.  Why people think it will be any different next Tuesday is beyond me. Germany at 2.1 to qualify at England's expense is the bet of the tournament IMO.
Report duffy June 24, 2021 3:18 PM BST
The issue is "mindset" ours is to default to a defensive strategy, fearful of getting beat which becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

German mindset is the opposite.

The worry is that we go someway to doing the Germans job for them.
Report ericster June 24, 2021 3:28 PM BST
Sad but true.Sad
Report differentdrum June 24, 2021 4:28 PM BST
Ho ho.

Is this the German side who fell over the line in a home match against the mighty Hungary. It wasn't as if they weren't trying, they were desperate. A side who recently even lost a qualifier against North Macedonia. They are a poor side in a poor European Championships.

England have every chance of progressing. In fact, if it wasn't for past disappointments you would expect them to progress.
Report snowynoon June 24, 2021 4:36 PM BST
Exactly ,and they are favourites for a reason despite 80% of the forum believing the Germans will win .
Report Andrew.in.Sweden June 24, 2021 4:52 PM BST
We haven't beaten Germany in a meaningful game since 1966.

1st September 2001 Germany met England during the qualifying stages of the 2002 World Cup, at the Olympia stadion in Munich. England won the game 5–1, helped by a hat-trick from Michael Owen.
Report unitedbiscuits June 24, 2021 5:06 PM BST
I believe the game means more to the English.
Report duffy June 24, 2021 5:47 PM BST
We beat them 5-1 after which the Germans went onto to reach the following years World Cup final with the same sh1te team .
Report unitedbiscuits June 24, 2021 6:02 PM BST
That was twenty years ago duffy.

Blank canvas. Who will be England's Picasso?
Report duffy June 24, 2021 6:11 PM BST
Like I said it's all about mindset, if we go onto the front foot and believe we can win then we have every chance.

Unfortunately we only have to go back less than a week to see a negative performance from us in a game that had an added dose of pressure and "narrative" and resulted in us recoiling as opposed to stepping up.

Despite the roar of the lions in the build up to big games, when it comes to the event itself we all too often play with a defeatist and submissive attitude, lets hope that changes.
Report Angoose June 24, 2021 6:19 PM BST
England have every chance next week.
Win, and it really does appear to be a manageable glide path all the way to the final.
Report unitedbiscuits June 24, 2021 6:24 PM BST
I think what would make England unpopular champions is their attitude: play for 1-0.
Report deliris June 24, 2021 6:46 PM BST
Germany can and will turn it on in my opinion as they did against Portugal. Will score 2 minimum. the nonstop diving and exaggeration constantly feigning injury at any opportunity in this tourney is hard to watch but needs to be done for victory.
Definetly will be penalties inplay. Germany to win 3-1
Report Aspro June 24, 2021 6:55 PM BST
We don't often concede 3 goals. Does anyone know or can anyone GUESS who was the last team to score 3 against us?
Report Angoose June 24, 2021 6:57 PM BST
Kanada Mischief
Report Aspro June 24, 2021 6:57 PM BST
Grin
Report raspberrybottom June 24, 2021 9:13 PM BST
Improve our chances against Germany by NOT starting Sterling.

Scored twice, I know. But his general "team play" is shocking.

Can go past players now and then but his head is nearly always down and this leads to him
playing some awful passes in and around the box. We'll need to play as a team against Germany
and Sterling's "team play" is not up to it. Angry
Report SontaranStratagem June 24, 2021 9:32 PM BST
First goal not a worry for me, even if we get it we've not held onto a lead vs a top nation since 66 anyway

We scored early in 96 and we know what happened then

Germany score first its a comfortable evening for us German backers and England layers Cool
Report Tiger Tiger June 24, 2021 10:13 PM BST
Holland the last team to put 3 past us?
Report Aspro June 24, 2021 10:18 PM BST
Angoose gave you a hint. Of all teams it was Kosovo a few months after Holland beat us 3-1 - Final Score 5-3 - Excellent attempt though Tiger and very close.
Report Aspro June 24, 2021 10:33 PM BST
I should add that the Holland result was after extra time. A quick check reveals that in 90 minutes, Kosovo aside, you have to go back over 5 years since we last conceded 3 in regulation time, which was a friendly away to France. Surprisingly, we don't make a habit of it.
Report Tiger Tiger June 24, 2021 10:36 PM BST
Its the goals 'for 'column that worries me in our most recent game.
Report Aspro June 24, 2021 10:41 PM BST
It's frustrating being an England fan but imagine being an England AND Spurs fan Cry
Report SontaranStratagem June 24, 2021 10:45 PM BST
Imagine being a Forest fan, 2nd team being Hamburg and the national side being England LaughCry

That's why I back someone else at these comps and support them as well Laugh
Report SontaranStratagem June 24, 2021 10:48 PM BST
Although Turkey ended up being worse than supporting Forest Laugh
Report Aspro June 24, 2021 10:53 PM BST
Indeed and I followed you in so you owe me!

Just transfer the 50p and we'll call it quits Grin
Report SontaranStratagem June 24, 2021 10:59 PM BST
I'd transfer the 50p asp but I'm skint Wink
Report Aspro June 24, 2021 11:06 PM BST
Interest of 2% per annum will be added. I expect 51p on or before 24/06/22, unless Italy win because I followed you in on that one too.
Report Tiger Tiger June 25, 2021 12:13 AM BST
This Jorman team are no great shakes, could go either way this match and should be fairly close?
Report G Hall June 25, 2021 8:10 AM BST
I can't recall who last scored three against England, but I remember ZLATAN putting FOUR past them
Report Blackrock June 25, 2021 10:03 AM BST
Germany are no good and England will win, but what worries me is that they get over confident against Sweden and underestimate them.
Report kincsem June 25, 2021 11:00 AM BST
Germany were losing the other night and needed to score. They scored.
England have not yet conceded a goal.  If England concede can they come back to draw/win?
My guess is they can not against a team that will probably have the ball.
The stats for the three England group games show England only slightly dominant, and in a weaker group.

Possession:
Germany: 62%; 58%; 75% ... average 65%
England: 50%; 60%; 56% ... average 55%

My guess is Germany will do their tournament usual, find a way to get the win.
Report Blackrock June 25, 2021 11:33 AM BST
Germany were 8 mins away from going out to a pub team. Lost to France. Beat Portugal but the Portugese had numerous chances to score more than they did.

Hummels is a slow boat and the English forwards will cause mayhem. This is no German team from years goneby, this mob are pony.
Report TheBetterBettor June 25, 2021 11:46 AM BST
Strange.... The Daily Mirror usually kisses up to Klopp's bottom....

Report kincsem June 25, 2021 11:57 AM BST
Hungary a "pub team"?
England will have a chance to hammer them on 2nd September in Budapest in World Cup qualification.

If you go by facts you will see:
Hungary drew 0-0 with Ireland in a friendly on 8th June.
Hungary were drawing 0-0 with Portugal, until Portugal scored three goals in the 84th, 87th, 90th minutes.
Hungary drew 1-1 with France after leading.
Hungary drew 2-2 against Germany after leading twice.
Report lurka June 25, 2021 12:01 PM BST
English forwards will cause mayhem?

You make it sound like England are playing well. They've been worse than Germany so far. Do you think Croatia and the Czechs are as good as Portugal and France? Do you think the Scots are better than Hungary? And England were at home with fans for all of those games.
Report Blackrock June 25, 2021 12:28 PM BST
Although i'm no great fan of Southgate, i think England have played with the handbrake on. I'm expecting a more positive attempt by England to win the game.

England are a better side than Germany in my eyes. Foden, Grealish,Sterling,Mount ,Rashford,Sancho can cause havoc and will.
Report kincsem June 25, 2021 12:33 PM BST
A team plays as well as the are let play by the opposition.
Teams do not play "with the handbrake on" unless they are well ahead (say 3-0 up).
Report Blackrock June 25, 2021 12:47 PM BST
England scored after 57 against Croatia and spent the rest of the game sitting back and not really bothering to attack. Scotland wasn't a great performance but the Jocks busted a gut to beat the auld enemy, something they couldnt manage against Croatia.

That meant 4 pts and already qualified. So the Czech game was not the end of the world if we only managed a draw. But we scored early and strolled through the game.

The Germans were **** themselves against Hungary and were all out to manage a draw.
Report Blackrock June 25, 2021 12:49 PM BST
Shyteing
Report ericster June 25, 2021 12:50 PM BST

Jun 25, 2021 -- 6:33AM, kincsem wrote:

A team plays as well as the are let play by the opposition.Teams do not play "with the handbrake on" unless they are well ahead (say 3-0 up).

The team carries the manager's fear of losing imo, and it gets them nowhere.
He cut them a bit of slack against the czechs because they had 4 points in the bag that's all.
That's my take on it.

Report roache June 25, 2021 3:24 PM BST
I do not see any evidence that we will beat the Germans but of course if you keep on losing to them in World cup and Euros knock out games i am preying by the law of averages that eventually we will beat them and lets hope its next tuesday or else Gareth can take his mind away from taking the knee and start his long vacation.
Report ericster June 25, 2021 3:33 PM BST
I'm looking forward to it anyway, we ought to be able to give them a game whatever happens.
Report raspberrybottom June 25, 2021 7:00 PM BST
My earlier post and a bit added):

Improve our chances against Germany by NOT starting Sterling.

Scored twice, I know. But his general "team play" is shocking.

Can go past players now and then but his head is nearly always down and this leads to him
playing some awful passes in and around the box. We'll need to play as a team against Germany
and Sterling's "team play" is not up to it. Angry

We STILL do not look anywhere near comfortable enough on the ball.

Giving Foden a free rein would probably be our best hope and our other "strategy" would seem to be trying to get free-kicks due to opposition defences kicking lumps out of Grealish. Not sure if the germans will fall for that though.Sad
Report lurka June 27, 2021 11:42 AM BST
Southgate will defo play cagey against the Germans but prob shouldn't as they are weak at the back.

You need to play like that at some point to win tournaments - France did it against Belgium and Uruguay and scored from set pieces via their centre halves to win those ties. Portugal did it in nearly every KO round at the last Euros, but that was playing to their strength, reducing the game to one of few chances and relying on their more clinical forwards to take one.

The guy plays Rice and Phillips in front of his defence and England haven't impressed going forward. Really don't see how anyone can assume that England are going to play some swashbuckling attacking football and tear the Germans apart. All the evidence says otherwise.
Report portmanpark June 27, 2021 12:05 PM BST
think both teams dodgy at the back.......will this go against the tide of previous England games and there be goals....can't see it being a 0-0 or 1-0
Report snowynoon June 30, 2021 10:55 AM BST
gone very quiet on this thread ,thought it was a bye for the Germans ,most of you lot ,and im not aftertiming ,as i said on this thread the Germany team are the worst in living memory ,lost to North Macedonia at home and 6 -0 to Spain last year .Forget history ,and all the rubbish the media spout and look at the teams as they are now ,even though England nearly blew it with their negative team selection .
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com