Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tobermory
28 May 21 23:54
| Topic/replies: 56,200 | Blogger: tobermory's blog
Will be extra half hour at home for team in 2nd leg

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 71
By:
scandanavian_haven
When: 28 May 21 23:56
for extra TV/advertising/sponsorship revenue.
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 00:04
what are they changing

away goals count after 180 minutes but not 210?

silly rule change

logically flawed and will also lead to more penalty shootouts

much better for a team to progress on away goals than penalties

the head to head ttiebreaker in the group stages in mad too (leads to more dead rubbers in the final round of matches)
By:
tobermory
When: 29 May 21 00:13
They won’t count all I think.
By:
spyker
When: 29 May 21 00:22
Silly rule, at least 20, if not 30, years out of date. May well suit English teams a bit more as never been good at sitting on slim leads as a rule. Now both teams have to try and win if all square and may as well attack in both legs equally.
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 00:27
you think it will lead to more attacking?

away teams will just bunker down for a 0-0 in the first leg, and try and and hold on for penalties in the second leg
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 00:29
"Now both teams have to try and win if all square"

the away team isn't going to try and win the first leg

and the away team in the second leg, if ahead or level, will just hold on for penalties

only the home side will attack in both legs
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 00:30
head to head tiebreakers, VAR and now this Crazy
By:
TheBetterBettor
When: 29 May 21 10:24
After 90 minutes in and a all tied leg... swap the men goalies with the lady goalies

It would fit in with the woke and all inclusive agenda
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 12:45
I know you're joking but I don't think that would even be legal or safe

are there any contact sports where men and women compete against each other?

an Italian team tried to field a top female international in the 90s and it was stopped by FIFA
By:
lurka
When: 29 May 21 14:15
It's a bad idea and I can see it being reversed after a few years. You'll get teams level on aggregate after 150 mins playing for penalties and it'll make first legs even more boring too with away teams more incentivised to park the bus than to try to score. Bin the AGR during ET if it's considered unfair. Playing the  home leg first is an advantage as you have a better chance of getting ahead on aggregate and playing on the counter in the away leg where there's the AGR. Having it in ET as well is unfair and should be binned.

ET without the AGR is normally boring and getting rid of the rule will make the end of a lot of ties as boring as ET. Anything which increases the chances of ET should be avoided. History shows it's the most boring 30 mins of football there is and it'll be more like an hour in a lot of ties if the AGR is scrapped.
By:
SontaranStratagem
When: 29 May 21 14:42
I've always been a bit against away goals (gambling sense that is) but nah I think its good

In the EFL they scrapped the away goals for the playoffs because it was an advantage for the team finishing 6th (Playing 3rd) and I was all for that because the team finishing 3rd should have no disadvantage when it comes to their 2 legged playoff. But this stuff is just getting ridiculous ffs, away goals add something to the game

But we're wasting our time voicing our opinions... To coin a Brian Clough phrase, "we talk about it for 15 minutes and then decide I was right" except this is a bunch of suits deciding to dictate the game from their office. Our opinions mean jack s*it.
By:
TheBetterBettor
When: 29 May 21 16:08
Giuseppe

are there any contact sports where men and women compete against each other?

Yes, remember who won the Grand National?
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 16:16
not a contact sport
By:
swiftynifty
When: 29 May 21 16:16
That's right Rachel punched a few blokes on her way through the field.
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 16:17
"it was an advantage for the team finishing 6th (Playing 3rd) "

how was it an advantage?
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 16:17
women also have an advantage in all equestrian events due to average lower body weight
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 29 May 21 16:59
What they should really do away with is extra-time.  We just accept it because it is "in with the bricks" and it is what we are used to but nowadays serves no purpose whatsoever.  Go straight to pens because it is long odds on the game is going there anyway.
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 17:32
they do this is South America
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 17:32
even single legged cup ties like the Copa Argentina

straight to pens after 90 minutes
By:
DirkDiggler
When: 29 May 21 17:41
I don't like away goals, for the simple reason that it's artificial. I'd also do away with ET, as it's just pointless, it's not entertaining if anything it's a drama killer, straight to pens, save 40 minutes plus of everyone's time.
By:
tobermory
When: 29 May 21 17:52
Penalties are awful. As we saw the other night anyone can score them, may as well have a throw in comp if skill is not gonna matter.

Six a side extra time would be best IMO, first to 3 wins. Allow unlimited subs.

Also should do away with 2 legged ties anyway. If you finish lower in the group stage should not get a home leg.
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 17:54
agreed, anything is better than penalties

penalty shootouts aren't football, it's almost a different sport
By:
TheBetterBettor
When: 29 May 21 18:27
Something has to be put in the game to take away the incentive of draws and endless penalty shootouts

Yes, Im all in favour of good defending but not just endless 'parking the bus'  just to get to the peno's

maybe taking a player off after every ten minute period ...  a reverse Royal Rumble if you will
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 29 May 21 18:28
Extra time was originally designed to avoid the dreaded replay.  Back in the sixties and early seventies it was not unknown for some European ties to need replays, sometimes two, and then incredibly, after all the stalemate, to decide the winner they tossed a coin.  This utter madness was stopped and we ended up with both - extra time and penalties - to ensure a result on the night.  Nothing intrinsically wrong with that thinking in an age where the fixture list is choc full and time is very precious.
In my view extra time needs abolished because it doesn't achieve any more than what follows it.
We have stats. coming out of our ears nowadays, about the detail of matches, and as it happens - in real time, so why not keep a running total, under observation, of shots on target, and give the result to the side who has tried most to score?!  That at least rewards football and enterprise and might even get rid of buses!
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 18:37
we should have more two legged ties in my opinion, not less, not least because it would help avoid penalty shootouts

more extra time too

maybe a third period of 15 minutes to avoid penalties if necessary

and champions league final would be better home and away two legged tie in my opinion
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 18:37
really sad to see CONMEBOL switch Libertadores final to one leg
By:
tobermory
When: 29 May 21 18:43
No, two legged is often anti climactic. A one off final is a much more anticipated event.

Also two legged knockouts make the group  stage boring..... If you win 6 games you are no better off than a team that got through with 8pts.

So a lot of tumbleweed games in weeks 5 & 6.

If the teams were seeded 1-16 based on group points, with higher seed home in each knockout round, there would be no resting players by City, Bayern....and every game would matter
By:
tobermory
When: 29 May 21 18:47
South Americans are even worse than UEFA/FIFA at organizing competitions.

Argentina has 2 titles I think, and the Brazilian system is an absolute farce.

There was a Copa America with a 3 legged final once!
By:
scandanavian_haven
When: 29 May 21 18:48
Penalties adds to the drama of football, football would never be the same without it, 6 a side would be a farce
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 18:55
what's wrong with Brazil?

they have a pretty standard 20 team national championship

the state leagues are played at the start of the year before the national championship starts

they are treated like the FA Cup in England, top players are often rested
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 18:56
i don't like the apertura / clausura system, especially when there are also playoffs after the round robin

single leg ties mean more penalty shootouts / more matches decided by red cards or handballs
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 18:57
two legged ties are fairer
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 18:59
"So a lot of tumbleweed games in weeks 5 & 6."

one reason for this is head to head being the first tiebreaker instead of goal difference

every year you have dead rubbers due to this, when goal difference would mean teh group was still undecided
By:
tobermory
When: 29 May 21 19:01
Penalties are not drama really, because the default assumption is they will be scored. (I suppose there is drama when one is missed, but you know eventually one will be).

It is the opposite of a goal from open plays as that is always unexpected (already up till 3 or 4 seconds before it goes in)

Penalty shootouts are just crap, as seen them all. Not much variation in how they are resolved.... most players score  one or two don't.

I can't see why settling a tie with a 6 a side football match is sillier than with a 6 a side penalty competion which only tests one of the most basic aspects of a complex game.
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 19:02
football results should be decided by 11 v 11 football matches

penalties are farcical

might as well have a goal kick competition, see who can kick further
By:
Giuseppe
When: 29 May 21 19:03
even 6 v 6 would be better than penalties
By:
Lucky Sod
When: 29 May 21 19:04
If it ends in draw do count back of shots on target over the two legsWink
By:
tobermory
When: 29 May 21 19:05
*seen one seen them all.

Penalties are just not aesthetically pleasing.

There is drama in that one team wins and one loses but a coin toss or a card game would be dramatic if deciding a country being eliminated from a tournament.
By:
TheBetterBettor
When: 29 May 21 19:06
If 0-0 after 210 minutes of bore football, get 11 fans from each side of the stadium.... Next goal the winner. Devil
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com