Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
unitedbiscuits
23 May 21 10:46
| Topic/replies: 16,114 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog
These English centre forwards tend to prefer being big fish in a small pond.
Pause Switch to Standard View Is Harry Kane good enough to play...
Show More
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 23, 2021 11:02 AM BST
Ideal game for foreign leagues.
Report mecca May 23, 2021 11:15 AM BST
Bundersleague would suit Harry imo
Report spyker May 23, 2021 12:01 PM BST
He'd prob score 100+ in the Scotch 'prem'
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 12:11 PM BST
Fwiw, I think it would do Kane the world of good to play in a team where he didn't have to shoulder all the responsibility - PSG for example.

But - like Shearer - I don't think he is brave enough to make the leap.
Report Aspro May 23, 2021 12:30 PM BST
Fwiw, I think it would do Kane the world of good to play in a team where he didn't have to shoulder all the responsibility - PSG for example

...or City, or Utd, or Chelsea for that matter. What "small pond' are you referring to UB, because from my perspective, the Premiership is arguably the strongest league in the World or, if not, second only to La Liga. Either league and they're playing at the top of their game.
Report 1st time poster May 23, 2021 1:21 PM BST
guys on sky say without kane,bale,and son spuds are only a top 7/8 side.
wakey ,wakey there only a top 6/7 side today with them
kanes that good he,s got pooch and jose the sack
Report tobermory May 23, 2021 1:56 PM BST
The Premier League is certainly no.1

Chelsea struggling for Top 4 but saw off the La Liga Top 2 without breaking sweat.
Report duffy May 23, 2021 2:13 PM BST
No other Euro league has the depth that the EPL has, he's in the biggest pond already.
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 2:14 PM BST
"Bundersleague would suit Harry imo "

go to Bayern and get your guaranteed precious ****g medal Harry
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 2:15 PM BST
who could afford him?

Real Madrid ?

Barcelona probably couldn't

PSG

Bayern

Juventus maybe?
Report duffy May 23, 2021 2:22 PM BST
Barca and Real are both about a billion in debt, long odds on he stays in this country.
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 2:24 PM BST
He would be half the price if he wasn't English.

Shearer was probably paid more than Romario but wasn't half the player - Kane is probably paid more than Mbappe but is only half the player.
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 2:26 PM BST
if I had 100 million I would spend it on Haaland not Harry
Report tobermory May 23, 2021 2:27 PM BST
Haaland costs more than that surely
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 2:27 PM BST
the fact he isn't willing to go abroad shows a lack of character in my opinion

would also piss off Spurs fans less

Juventus would be a good choice from a personal + professional development point of view

but he just wants a guaranteed ****g medal so will  probably be Man City
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 2:29 PM BST
You're right, G.
Not sure Pep will be thrilled.
Report lurka May 23, 2021 2:29 PM BST
Nonsense. He has a chance to break Shearer's goal record and will likely get more money staying in England. No need or reason to move abroad. He can do that in his 30s if he wants
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 2:31 PM BST
is that one of those "premier league" records?

ah yes, more money and guaranteed medals

what a champ
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 2:32 PM BST
Who gives a fig about Shearer's goal record, apart from Shearer?

What did Shearer win?
Report 1st time poster May 23, 2021 2:34 PM BST
if he,s staying in uk and wants titles not a debate is it
city aint it and arry will have to get use to been benched
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 2:37 PM BST
Shearer had a strange sort of career

he was capable of playing at a higher level than Newcastle, maybe he should have left at some point

but at least it was his local club
Report lurka May 23, 2021 2:37 PM BST

May 23, 2021 -- 2:32PM, unitedbiscuits wrote:

Who gives a fig about Shearer's goal record, apart from Shearer? What did Shearer win?

eh.....Harry Kane

Report ericster May 23, 2021 2:45 PM BST
Serie A would deffo improve his game imo.
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 2:54 PM BST
Shearer turned down Manchester United once. Never forgiven. Would the environment have turned him into a better player who could have led England to honours? Doubtful.

What happened was Newcastle assembled a Hollywood-style front line: Ginola, Ferdinand, Shearer, Asprilla but Shearer rather insisted on being the focus of every attack. Given the multiplicity of talent, this was a recipe for failure. Asprilla's inside-forward short-pass game was anathema to Shearer, who couldn't reciprocate. There was only going to be one winner in that style battle.
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 3:01 PM BST
Jack Walker refused to sell Shearer to Man Utd out of sheer spite if I remember correctly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Walker#Blackburn_Rovers

In the summer of 1996 Alan Shearer was top goalscorer at Euro 96 and was linked to domestic and international clubs.

The main talk in the national media was of Shearer joining hated rivals Manchester United.

Jack Walker and the Lancashire Telegraph constantly dismissed rumours of Shearer joining Manchester United.

Local journalist Peter White stated that the club should never be forgiven should Shearer be allowed to join Manchester United.

"Rovers should never be forgiven for allowing that to happen. They know they would never be forgiven if they let Shearer go to the club the Rovers fans love to hate.

Fans might just live with a move to Barcelona or Milan but not to 'that lot.'"[14]

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson expressed anger over his failure to sign Alan Shearer from Blackburn Rovers. Ferguson stated "I had a gut feeling that it wouldn't happen simply because Jack Walker hates Manchester United."[15]

Martin Edwards also confirmed Ferguson's attempt to sign Shearer had been blocked by Rovers. Ultimately Shearer moved to Newcastle United.[16] In 2017 Edwards once again confirmed Walker's refusal to sell.[17]

Jack Walker Love
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 3:09 PM BST
Well that's obviously bullshine because Jack Walker had no influence over Shearer once he was sold - and not too much before. Shearer didn't ask Southampton whether he could join Blackburn. It's a ridiculous narrative - Jack Walker may have extracted a few million more from Man Utd - but he didn't control Shearer's destiny.
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 3:11 PM BST
are you talking about Shearer possibly joining Utd while he was at Newcastle?

as long as Shearer was under contract at Blackburn Walker could have blocked a sale

not sure how free agency worked back then
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 3:17 PM BST
The inconvenient truth is that Shearer before Kane (excessively lauded domestically) shirked the challenge of exposing himself to a environment where he may have to adapt and improve his game.
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 3:23 PM BST
when you think about Shearer and Kane, Gascoigne to Lazio remains one of the most bizarre transfers

who talked him into that?
Report Aspro May 23, 2021 3:23 PM BST
That's what European competition is for UB... to expose oneself to different challenges. Don't need to leave the UK to do that, you just need to be in the right team to play in Europe.
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 3:24 PM BST
"I fancy improving me game against those tight defences, pet"
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 3:24 PM BST
I can't remember the details

was it mostly about money?
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 3:26 PM BST
If I was good enough I would want to experience what it was like to play for Real Madrid, at least for a couple of years

to train there everyday etc.

I don't think any other club is on the same level
Report ericster May 23, 2021 3:29 PM BST
That's probably the best club that would have him.
The absolute pinnacle would have to be Bayern right now wouldn't it but I doubt that he'd get on the bench there.
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 3:34 PM BST
not sure Bayern could even afford him

German clubs don't earn as much from TV deals and gate receipts as big clubs in other countries
Report ericster May 23, 2021 3:37 PM BST
I doubt that they'd want him seppe for that money.
Report tobermory May 23, 2021 3:38 PM BST
Platt going to Bari in 1991 seems crazy now. One of the top 3 or 4 England players at the time.

Be like Foden signing for Spezia.
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 3:39 PM BST
I credit Michael Owen for trying the white shirt.

But UK players usually fail abroad and I'm sure Kane would be no exception:

"Why doesn't everyone speak English?" 
"Why is the team not built around me?"
"Press shouldn't be critical of an English player."
Report ericster May 23, 2021 3:40 PM BST
Won't argue with that UB.
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 3:41 PM BST
Bari had a nice new stadium I imagine they were a club on the way up at the time

there was so much money in Serie A back then

crowds were huge, Milan used to get 80,000 for every game
Report Giuseppe May 23, 2021 3:44 PM BST
English football was at a low ebb in the late 80s, crowds were the lowest they'd ever been, stigma of hooliganism and TV money was small

things started picking up after Italia 90 and with sky, but it took a while to catch up
Report Angoose May 23, 2021 3:48 PM BST
And no pizza and prosecco in Englerland back then either Excited
Report geordie1956 May 23, 2021 3:58 PM BST
If you are going to play abroad ... learn the language which helps immeasurably .. gets you onside with the supporters for a start & no doubt benefits with the settling in period. Definitely helped Lineker ... there will be exceptions such as Gascoigne (he was an extovert / mad character anyway) but for the most part English footballers fail because they don't or wont properly integrate
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 4:37 PM BST
Yes, geordie1956, I agree with all of that.

But if you were Kane, or Shearer, and the worst outcome of staying in the Prem is a prominent profile and 25 years afterwards commentating on the game you left behind? ... I think Harry has already decided the arithmetic is comfortable.
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 7:40 PM BST
So Kane wins the Golden Boot.
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 7:43 PM BST
Kane wins everything aside for anything for his team and fans.
Report thelatarps May 23, 2021 8:08 PM BST
For the record, Gazza did learn the lingo in italia. Just spent most of the most part month in the mexican jungle on the italian version of 'Im a celebrity'..
And seeing as he only played about 40 games for lazio in 3 seasons, he is considered one for the bidone (bin) as far as english football footballers are concerned.
Report unitedbiscuits May 23, 2021 8:25 PM BST
Even while Gazza was on the (sick) books in Italy he was quoted in the English press saying "I'll take the piss out of the Italians for a couple of seasons; then I'm coming home."

Says it all. The main priority of the British working class is to get out work. Even if it hurts both sides. To be honest, the reputation of UK players on the continent stinks. What we need is a pool of talent culled exclusively from public schools - like Chris Martin.
Report thelatarps May 23, 2021 10:41 PM BST
I dunno.

A few young english kids have been making their way in the bundesliga in recent years.

Gascoigne came from a pre Bosman generation when making millions out of football was very unlikely.
He did of course have his 'mind' problems.
Something which would be picked up at a very early age these days.

Kane would probably do very well in any european club. Barring the snotty b@stards at Madrid or Barca. Its just that none of them will be able to afford him.
Report Capt__F May 23, 2021 10:47 PM BST
Mutley liked a medal
Report scandanavian_haven May 23, 2021 10:52 PM BST
he's simply too big for Tottenham these days, I'd say Son is as well, both need to be winning titles, in one of the 3 top leagues, not Bayern, that's not a really title, Lewandowski would struggle to reach 20 goals in a proper league with actual competition.
Report Capt__F May 23, 2021 10:53 PM BST
Poles apart
Report brassneck May 24, 2021 1:18 AM BST
Harry Kane seen earlier today in Leicester ,but tonight the breaking news is that he has bought himself a Cross Peerless Parker Pen.LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report cardifffc May 24, 2021 10:44 AM BST
united will buy kane...city will pretend to be interested  to up the price  ultimately pull out leaving UTD to sign injury prone kane
Report Angoose May 24, 2021 12:36 PM BST
With Martial moving in the opposite direction as part of the deal ......
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! May 24, 2021 1:12 PM BST
We dont want Brussel sprouts
Martial

Grin
Report jackdanny May 24, 2021 1:15 PM BST
Harry Kane should go up North , Bishop Stortford looking for a new striker
Report scandanavian_haven May 24, 2021 1:32 PM BST
The club Kane is most likely to be at next season is Tottenham.
Report Aspro May 24, 2021 1:34 PM BST
My money is on City, with cover on Utd... imo Levy WILL cash in.
Report Aspro May 24, 2021 1:37 PM BST
People talk about his contract at Spurs, but without it Levy wouldn't have the weight to push the price.
Report howard May 24, 2021 2:56 PM BST
Kane is one of the best English "finishers" of all time. Better than Shearer. He would score 30-35 league goals at City.
Report scandanavian_haven May 24, 2021 3:08 PM BST
I agree with the 30+ goals at City but Shearer was equal in finishing ability.
Report Angoose May 24, 2021 6:13 PM BST
Different eras, but Shearer had a nasty streak that Kane doesn't possess as well as being a bigger influence in the dressing room, Alan wasn't slow to let his mates know if they weren't pulling their weight.
Report Capt__F May 24, 2021 10:27 PM BST
was nicknamed Mary Poppins for a reason
Report sofaking May 24, 2021 11:02 PM BST

May 24, 2021 -- 10:27PM, Capt__F wrote:

was nicknamed Mary Poppins for a reason

What was the reason?

Report Capt__F May 24, 2021 11:05 PM BST
Bellamy thught he squeaky clean
Report howard May 25, 2021 1:19 PM BST
Man City crying out for a Shearer type to get them motivatedLaugh
Report The Dragon May 25, 2021 9:19 PM BST
of course he is
Report stewarty b May 26, 2021 12:49 PM BST
Shearer didn't mind being full time but he was scared of big time.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com