Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lurka
18 Apr 21 15:01
| Topic/replies: 16,951 | Blogger: lurka's blog
Announced tonight? Story is everywhere and look like it's not rumour

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9484141
/FIVE-Premier-League-teams-sign-European-Super-League-
snub-UEFA.html
Pause Switch to Standard View Euro Super League announced tonight
Show More
Report lurka April 21, 2021 2:08 AM BST
The City and Chelsea owners want to buy trophies at any cost. The yanks don't want trophies and want to extract as much as they can.
Report tobermory April 21, 2021 2:16 AM BST
The Americans care more about profits than Roman/Qatar, yes, but the prestige is a big deal to them too. John Henry was on the pitch in the CL Final. The Glazers went all out to win the Super Bowl.
Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 2:48 AM BST

Apr 20, 2021 -- 8:04PM, lurka wrote:

We've saved nothing. Woodward and Agnelli leaving means nothing, the same guys are in control. Agnelli owns Juve FFS.There is no way there are penalty clauses for leaving. JP Morgan haven't lent any money, I doubt there is even a loan offer. There are no contracts, nobody in their right mind would sign anything binding like that. Who gets all the fines money otherwise? Perez? It's not even his idea it's the yanks.We are being played by the media. The way the story came out within 5 minutes in about 5 different media sources across the globe with stories already written says that they are PR stories by paid 'journalists', including the ones who were critical. If it was genuine they have tweeted it and said story to follow. There was no 'exclusive' story or scoop. What does that say to you?And the difference with Chelsea/City owners is that they are not in it for the money. Abramovich is more like a fan at this stage, if he wanted money out of CHelsea he wouldn't have written off all his debt, the CIty owners are more concerned about reputation and image. They are in it for other reasons. I believe they agreed at the last minute when the others approached them because they thought it was better in than out. It's the yanks and the debt ridden Spanish clubs but the yanks have them on board because of their finances. The yanks are out of touch but not that much that they think this was a goer. You think they didn't take advice from people more in the know than them before doing this?Get them all out. It's now or never. The media will discourage it though, they are all on the books and part of the gravy train.

Sadly true

The more I sit and think this whole story just stinks, as you say the way it just popped up out of nowhere, the media hyperbole in getting everyone up in arms about it, Gary Neville and the others... Its been one big con ffs

We'll find out what purpose this has been for down the line but the whole thing stinks to high heaven, within 48 hours its literally gone from "end of our sport" to "we saved football"... been played like fiddles, they even had them down there "protesting" outside the grounds ffs

Trust me you've won nothing, they've played the masses like an instrument here and at this moment we don't exactly know why its been done but we'll find out.

Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 2:58 AM BST
I'm struggling to see what purpose it serves at the moment I must admit

Maybe it was just to manipulate the fans to a certain position/stance ? so when they move in to make their "real move" its easy to get them to go along with it perhaps

But the fans will buy into the next move now, all part of agenda 21 and football is getting its own "reset" as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they wipe the history books and start all over again, "re-writing" history as they go.
Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 3:08 AM BST
Souness "we like the game the way it is, yes changes need to be made"

Played like a fiddle

Changes are coming anyway, the football is going to look very different and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with something similar to that European Super League down the line, they always tell you their plans
Report 1st time poster April 21, 2021 4:30 AM BST
said it yesterday the basic problem for so called big clubs is no the actual money but what that money buys them
either due to end of an era/cycle messi,ronny ,arguero etc, or a levelinl down of the quality of the player,s no matter how much they spend on players it no longer guarantee,s them a place in the top 4
there,s probably only a dozen or so out there who over a season can make the difference and 99,99999% of them are already at champions lg clubs
l,pool went from wininng ch lg,then lg to now struggling to qualify because of one injury and same could have happened if salah was injured or left
Report 1st time poster April 21, 2021 4:32 AM BST
a ch lg contender doesnt mind laying out 100 mill for a player but not when that player doesnt guarantee you an edge against the likes of lec/west ham/everton etc
Report roache April 21, 2021 7:45 AM BST
I was just thinking about mediocre Arsenal not earning a place at the top table in this fake ESL as Arsenal would never ever have pulled off a stunt like this before during there proud history in the English game would they Wink
Report sageform April 21, 2021 7:58 AM BST
It is hard to believe that some of these chief execs seriously believed that the public or the Government would support this. They really must be out of touch with their public. As far as the future is concerned I think that the 36 club Champions League proposal is ever worse. More games each season, more player burn out and injury etc.
Report REDROB April 21, 2021 7:58 AM BST
Maybe wrong to place resonsibility on the clubs, as the majority of people at these clubs had no idea what was going on. Entirely down to the owners, chairmen, chief execs'.
Report morpteh mackem April 21, 2021 8:18 AM BST

Apr 21, 2021 -- 1:58AM, sageform wrote:

It is hard to believe that some of these chief execs seriously believed that the public or the Government would support this. They really must be out of touch with their public. As far as the future is concerned I think that the 36 club Champions League proposal is ever worse. More games each season, more player burn out and injury etc.

imagine effect on 2022 wc, when starts in november, going to be a long season

Report pushkin99 April 21, 2021 8:52 AM BST
Glad the greedy buggers have been made to see sense....................
Report TheBetterBettor April 21, 2021 9:17 AM BST
Look at pep, klopp and milner .... it wasnt keegan-esque rants was it ... they all knew that it was all doomed from the start.
Report Life-Lucky April 21, 2021 10:39 AM BST
Well, that gave everyone a couple of days on their high horses. Pity they didn't get so agitated about cheating, kneeling, nine subs on the bench, VAR, 7 minutes stoppage time when Arsenal and the Big Teams are a goal-down etc etc etc
Report feedthepony April 21, 2021 10:44 AM BST

Apr 21, 2021 -- 4:39AM, Life-Lucky wrote:

Well, that gave everyone a couple of days on their high horses. Pity they didn't get so agitated about cheating, kneeling, nine subs on the bench, VAR, 7 minutes stoppage time when Arsenal and the Big Teams are a goal-down etc etc etc

Or the Covid restrictions/laws imposed

Report rothko April 21, 2021 11:05 AM BST
most intelligent contribution by John Barnes

[iJohn Barnes has questioned the logic of Liverpool fans wanting John W Henry to sell the club.

Liverpool’s principal owner has apologised for his part in the proposed European Super League. The American said in a video posted by the club on Twitter that the ESL would only have worked with fans’ full support. The Reds were one of the 12 “founding members” but pulled the plug on Tuesday night, along with the other five Premier League clubs.

The reaction from the football world was scathing. The ESL has been attacked from all sides, but Barnes believes fans calling for FSG to sell up cannot see the bigger picture.

Barnes said: “If Liverpool fans are unhappy and they say they want to get rid of John Henry and want him to sell the club, who do they want him to sell the club to? Somebody with more money than him?

“If somebody comes in with the same amount of money, how do you think they got that money? By making decisions based on finance without regard (for the fans).”

Barnes added: “The only way it (football) will work is if we can control football by bringing a salary cap in, controlling it, reviewing it, being better audited, so that it’s a level playing field for every team in the Premier League, so they can all spend the same amount of money.”

The former Liverpool winger believes this day has been coming, ever since billionaire foreign investors started buying English clubs.

“When these people came in we expected them to understand the nature of football, it’s been the other way round – football fans have to understand the nature of big business,” Barnes told BBC’s Breakfast programme.

“Big business is about money, based on finances and nothing else and this is where we’re caught in between the two, whereby we’re happy for these multi-billionaire owners to come in and own our clubs, but we want them to do what we say.

“That’s not how they became billionaires. They make the decisions based solely on finance, so we have to get the right balance.”

Barnes said that football’s mass popularity has always been exploited and that the Super League plans had been “a power struggle”.

“This has been a power struggle. Let’s not be fooled, the fans have got nothing to do with this,” he added.

“This is a power struggle between elite groups – UEFA, FIFA, Sky – everybody who runs football now, and a new group wanting to come in and take over and it’s right to exploit football and exploit the masses.

“So now that the fans have won, are the ticket prices going to be less? In fact, are they going to be able to get tickets? Are the share prices going to go down?

“I don’t know how they (the fans) have won. They may feel they have won, but the winner is the status quo, which has been that football has been exploited for years.[/i]”
Report Angoose April 21, 2021 11:08 AM BST
You've got to hold and give but do it at the right time
You can be slow or fast but you must get to the line
They'll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack
There's only one way to beat them, get round the back
Report rothko April 21, 2021 11:16 AM BST
Gary Neville - Carragher f5ck1m hypocrites
Quoting about the exploitation of fans and working for Sky trying to charge £15 a game in lockdown cos they thought they had a captive audience. Exploiting fans since 1992 should be their logo

Fans need to go after these organisations
Report GoBallistic April 21, 2021 11:51 AM BST
The only downside of the climbdown for Sky was that they'd only just ordered some shiny new badges
Report Whisperingdeath April 21, 2021 12:46 PM BST
Glad the greedy buggers have been made to see sense....................

Really? You think this is over?
Report Whisperingdeath April 21, 2021 12:49 PM BST
“If somebody comes in with the same amount of money, how do you think they got that money? By making decisions based on finance without regard (for the fans).”

That is the point. Without regard for the fans. Support your club not the Owners. Boycott the Sponsors!
Report Giuseppe April 21, 2021 1:13 PM BST
barnes gets almost everything wrong in that article

comparatively few owners bought their clubs to maximise revenue and make money for themselves, the yanks are the exception to this

and it was the fan backlash that scuppered the whole thing
Report Giuseppe April 21, 2021 1:15 PM BST
"Let’s not be fooled, the fans have got nothing to do with this" Crazy
Report Giuseppe April 21, 2021 1:21 PM BST
"You've got to hold and give but do it at the right time
You can be slow or fast but you must get to the line
They'll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack
There's only one way to beat them, get round the back"

still a great song thirty years later

they don't do football songs like that any more

arrivederci it's one on one
Report Wesdag April 21, 2021 1:21 PM BST
Tbf to Barnes, he's right in that fans have been screwed for years.

ESL was just the latest example.
Report Giuseppe April 21, 2021 1:23 PM BST
it seems to have been the protest outside stamford bridge that set the ball rolling
Report Giuseppe April 21, 2021 1:23 PM BST
once abramovich broke ranks the whole thing started to fall apart
Report Wesdag April 21, 2021 1:28 PM BST
More likely the fact that the govt would scupper the whole thing imo.

Not allowing work permits & visas would've killed it for the English clubs.
Report Jack Hacksaw April 21, 2021 1:29 PM BST
What sanctions should now be imposed on the 6 or 12 breakaway clubs?

They wanted it.  They still want it.

Why should they escape sanctions, just because their glorious plan found almost universal opposition?
Report chipbutty April 21, 2021 1:36 PM BST
This is the time while feelings are running high to have a real go at changing the road football's been going down for 30 years, namely money ruining the game. Whilst this fiasco seemed to come out of the blue, it was an just another inevitable stop along the same road and I agree with people saying this is far from over, as long as money is the be all and end all for this sport, the leeches will always be trying to bleed more and more.

It won't be easy to change, going backwards is totally foreign to most people and certainly is for these so called forward thinking money men. It will be hard because since the inception of the Premier League and SKY's involvement, a full generation of fans have grown up believing that football as it is now is how it's always been and always will be. The older generations like myself know this is not the case.

It boils down to this. The last few days have proven that the average everyday fan is still THE most important aspect of the game in this country, these bastards with all their money and power couldn't roll over the average man in the street when their will is strong and united. So we as fans have to decide whether we want to let football to continue down this same path, because if we do, then we can't complain when something like this inevitably happens again.

Has this age of mega money in the game made it a more exciting sport, I think I'd speak for most of my generation if I said 100% no. The English game in particular was envied for it's pace and excitement and it's very important to remember that even with teams filled almost exclusively with British players we still regularly dominated Europe. But not with same clubs every year, but clubs like Notts Forest and Villa had their time and other clubs outside the big 5 had genuine hopes that they could achieve the same. In the 30 years since the inception of the Premier we've had 1 year and 1 club that's broke the monopoly of the money clubs and that's Leicester (Blackburn were as rich as any when they won it). All the top teams are full of foreign players playing the game at walking pace for the most part on pristine pitches with hardly a tough tackle in sight.

Do we look forward, I mean really look forward to watching a big game on the telly now there's 30 on a week? When you had 1 big game on a Sunday, it was an event, it meant something, now it's just another game. Has the joy and anticipation of getting to an FA cup final at Wembley gone up since someone decided it was a good idea to play the semi's there? No way, it's just diluted the whole day and in fact the whole competition. Has the match day experience for the fan become more exciting since we've moved to all seater soulless stadiums with little or no atmosphere most of the time? Absolutely not. If you're a fan of a club outside the big 6 do you still have the same realistic dreams that someday you'll be able to compete with them, if only for a season or two? Absolutely not.

I could go on all day with examples of how the game has become less exciting and less competitive since mega money has come into the game and while I fully understand that money has always played a part and the big City clubs have generally dominated the smaller ones, we've got to a point now where the gap is so large that hope for these smaller clubs or I should say poorer clubs, is as good as dead.

So here we are, if we allow or accept that money will dominate the game for now and always then we accept that what happened on Sunday, probably in a different format will happen again and you may as well do away with any club that's not part of the elite. Stop the road we're going down, put it in reverse and get back to the more important values of the game before it's too late.
Report scandanavian_haven April 21, 2021 1:36 PM BST
what's the points in sanctions, points deductions? no European football? all that does is punish the fans as well. Even if you fined them heavily, if you could, that's less money on buying players or top players wages.
Report Whisperingdeath April 21, 2021 2:03 PM BST
Can't really see much happening in the way of punishment. The 14 and the rest have big problems. This is still heading for domination by the few. Just look at what is happening with champions League qualification.
Report EastLower Gooner April 21, 2021 2:50 PM BST
In the old days...ring leaders would’ve been rounded up and dealt with swiftly. 

Stan, Josh and that Indian finance guy they have running things need removing.

Their mouthpiece Ornstein too.

Bring back Gunnersaurus!

But that’s not going to happen is it? Dumb fans will just keep buying the new Kits, retro puma gear, season tickets and bore us about how Xhaka is a midfield god.

Wooo look it’s another bruised banana top...oh just shut the f**k you traitor!
Report 1st time poster April 21, 2021 3:29 PM BST
what really annoys me about utd,arsenal,chelsea is that they had what they now want for years and have wasted it,there was period when you new who would be top 4 in early days of CL,ARSENAL made last 16,16 seasons on bounce didnt they and wasted their advantage with bad buys,transfer policy not tying players up on long deals  etc,and now want artifical advantages
Report themover April 21, 2021 3:37 PM BST

Apr 21, 2021 -- 7:36AM, chipbutty wrote:

This is the time while feelings are running high to have a real go at changing the road football's been going down for 30 years, namely money ruining the game. Whilst this fiasco seemed to come out of the blue, it was an just another inevitable stop along the same road and I agree with people saying this is far from over, as long as money is the be all and end all for this sport, the leeches will always be trying to bleed more and more.It won't be easy to change, going backwards is totally foreign to most people and certainly is for these so called forward thinking money men. It will be hard because since the inception of the Premier League and SKY's involvement, a full generation of fans have grown up believing that football as it is now is how it's always been and always will be. The older generations like myself know this is not the case.It boils down to this. The last few days have proven that the average everyday fan is still THE most important aspect of the game in this country, these bastards with all their money and power couldn't roll over the average man in the street when their will is strong and united. So we as fans have to decide whether we want to let football to continue down this same path, because if we do, then we can't complain when something like this inevitably happens again.Has this age of mega money in the game made it a more exciting sport, I think I'd speak for most of my generation if I said 100% no. The English game in particular was envied for it's pace and excitement and it's very important to remember that even with teams filled almost exclusively with British players we still regularly dominated Europe. But not with same clubs every year, but clubs like Notts Forest and Villa had their time and other clubs outside the big 5 had genuine hopes that they could achieve the same. In the 30 years since the inception of the Premier we've had 1 year and 1 club that's broke the monopoly of the money clubs and that's Leicester (Blackburn were as rich as any when they won it). All the top teams are full of foreign players playing the game at walking pace for the most part on pristine pitches with hardly a tough tackle in sight. Do we look forward, I mean really look forward to watching a big game on the telly now there's 30 on a week? When you had 1 big game on a Sunday, it was an event, it meant something, now it's just another game. Has the joy and anticipation of getting to an FA cup final at Wembley gone up since someone decided it was a good idea to play the semi's there? No way, it's just diluted the whole day and in fact the whole competition. Has the match day experience for the fan become more exciting since we've moved to all seater soulless stadiums with little or no atmosphere most of the time? Absolutely not. If you're a fan of a club outside the big 6 do you still have the same realistic dreams that someday you'll be able to compete with them, if only for a season or two? Absolutely not.I could go on all day with examples of how the game has become less exciting and less competitive since mega money has come into the game and while I fully understand that money has always played a part and the big City clubs have generally dominated the smaller ones, we've got to a point now where the gap is so large that hope for these smaller clubs or I should say poorer clubs, is as good as dead.So here we are, if we allow or accept that money will dominate the game for now and always then we accept that what happened on Sunday, probably in a different format will happen again and you may as well do away with any club that's not part of the elite. Stop the road we're going down, put it in reverse and get back to the more important values of the game before it's too late.

I think you are over exaggerating the differences between now and say 30 years ago. As a young City fan I can remember never having any expectations to win anything and accepting being in the shadows of the "rich" clubs including United, Pool, RM, Barca, Bayern and co. Nothing has changed much since then, it's just different clubs to the original cartel, and the original cartel doesn't like it.

Report tony6499 April 21, 2021 3:49 PM BST

Apr 21, 2021 -- 7:36AM, scandanavian_haven wrote:

what's the points in sanctions, points deductions? no European football? all that does is punish the fans as well. Even if you fined them heavily, if you could, that's less money on buying players or top players wages.

Never stopped them punishing Luton, Wigan, Leeds etc over the years, sent many teams out of the league and they didn't care about their fans so why should these 6 be any different ?

Report chipbutty April 21, 2021 4:00 PM BST
Maybe you've got a point the mover but the stats don't lie and the gap has most definitely got bigger and bigger and therefore there have been progressively less clubs that have any hope of competing.

30 years 1962 - 1991 there were 18 different clubs that finished in the top 3 in the old 1st division
30 years 1992 - 2021 there have been 13 different clubs that have finished in the top 3 in the Premier
year 2000 - present  there have been 8 clubs that have finished in the top 3 in the Premier

I said in my original post that I accepted that the big city big money clubs have always had the upper hand, my point is the gap gets bigger every year and as a result any genuine hope for 95% of clubs gets less and less and as a further result so does peoples interest.
Report themover April 21, 2021 4:24 PM BST
Can't argue with the stats Happy
Report Giuseppe April 21, 2021 4:28 PM BST
ironically this is an area where the NFL system wors better

all 32 clubs can win the super bowl

if they never win, it's down to bad recruitment and coaching, not money
Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 4:29 PM BST
They've announced this new 36 team CL

I get this weird feeling some of the clubs that pretended to have this "breakaway" will be given automatic places...

Plain
Report Giuseppe April 21, 2021 4:31 PM BST
when does it start? 2022-23?

seems like a horrible format at first glance
Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 4:52 PM BST
Its basically going to be the super league with most of the scumbags that pretended to "breakaway" being given free passes (Eventually)

The media ain't up in arms about this one, no "our sport stolen" to be seen anyway

Its actually quite sickening how easy the sheep are manipulated, and allow themselves to be manipulated ffs
Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 4:53 PM BST
2024 it starts
Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 4:54 PM BST
They think they saved "their sport" yesterday so they are walking round like peacocks ffs

Not realising they've literally just created the very thing that they were "protesting" for yesterday CrazyCrazySad
Report feedthepony April 21, 2021 5:13 PM BST
Aye - the UEFA proposals to effectively guarantee these 12 champions league every year have gone through unopposed and without scrutiny.

scum clubs, scum owners, scum governing body - foolish "fans" of the big franchises and smaller clubs as well
Report Aspro April 21, 2021 5:15 PM BST
That needle's really stuck isn't it
Report feedthepony April 21, 2021 5:18 PM BST
except for the Arsenal franchise tho - they were just useful idiots and wouldn't even qualify for a **** Champions league.

The Fenway Sports Group Football franchise and the London Hotspurs Franchise would have made it tho regardless of where they place in the league
Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 5:23 PM BST
And the peacocks strutting round having "saved our sport" literally think this is a great idea because it "needed change"...

If it wasn't a case of not giving a damn anymore I'd cry ffs, the insanity of it all and the fact no one can see they've been played is actually fascinating

Where's Gary Neville and Sky shoving "this is disgraceful" down our throats now?
Report feedthepony April 21, 2021 5:28 PM BST
Give it a week and Neville and Carragher will be back on party line sooking the juice out of the backside of the Glazers and the Fenway for being great owners and humble following the controversy
Report REDROB April 21, 2021 5:32 PM BST
^^ No chance.
Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 5:38 PM BST
Redrob sorry but feedthepony is right, it'll all be allowed to die down now

I've seen people posting up "we need to protest this as well"... sorry you'll be a party of about 5 and just s****ed at by passer bys

Why? because the media haven't and wont whip up a frenzy

"people only know what their told" ie people are stupid and easily manipulated, easily flamed, easily doused down, easy to get them dancing

The media controls the perception, and complete idiots like "thogden and thogdad" who are easily gaslighted by the media, who then in turn gaslight their own subscribers. No one does a thing unless the media gaslights them to do so.

Its a sad society we've created, one that dances to the elites tune.
Report duffy April 21, 2021 5:39 PM BST
SontaranStratagem 21 Apr 21 15:54 
They think they saved "their sport" yesterday so they are walking round like peacocks ffs

Not realising they've literally just created the very thing that they were "protesting" for yesterday CrazyCrazy

I'm a thicko so please break it down for me

feedthepony 21 Apr 21 16:28 
Give it a week and Neville and Carragher will be back on party line sooking the juice out of the backside of the Glazers and the Fenway for being great owners and humble following the controversy

After the vitriol with which Neville attacked the owners I simply can't see it. IOf it wasn't for the negative press I wouldn't have been surprised if they banned him from the placeLaugh
Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 5:40 PM BST
It was getting a bit out of hand last night so they pulled the gaslight plug earlier than they probably wanted to

Or maybe it was a great opportunity to pull the plug there because they can then convince the idiots that turned up it was because of them, they "won", the elites are absolutely creaming themselves Sad

They own the peasants minds
Report REDROB April 21, 2021 5:41 PM BST
My "no chance" was about Nev' and carr' doing a u turn, they wont.
Report Jack Hacksaw April 21, 2021 5:52 PM BST
For those disenchanted with the current state of football, I would encourage them to support non-league football.

You won't get the same levels of skill or stadium comfort, but you will be reconnecting with the game you used to love.
Report SontaranStratagem April 21, 2021 6:00 PM BST
True

But their aim is to get shot of all league below the Championship
Report duffy April 21, 2021 6:07 PM BST
i]SontaranStratagem 21 Apr 21 15:29 
They've announced this new 36 team CL

I get this weird feeling some of the clubs that pretended to have this "breakaway" will be given automatic places...[/i]

So these owners thought that they would pretend to create a tournament that only they were allowed to compete in and in the process were prepared to unite football fans across the globe and risk government involving themselves going forward  against them that saw them become the pariahs of world sport and probably cost them millions in lost sponsorship revenue all for a guaranteed spot in a competition, that , for the main protagonists in this, Juve, United, Barca, Real and even a few of the others are 10's on shots to qualify for every year anyway????

I don't think so.

The new 36 team CL was already being announced, they haven't announced it to pacify them, they were getting that anyway.

This is all about the owners wanting total access to all the TV money generated across the globe and they have been beaten.

But, there are 4 extra places available that's all, that doesn't guarantee Spurs, Arsenal anything, there are 4 extra places to fight for right across Europe.

They haven't won anything here, in fact, in Germany for instance, their are fans marching around with banners opposing the changes.
Report duffy April 21, 2021 6:12 PM BST
And like Neville says, Joel Glazer wouldn't be putting his name to something that was basically a hoax, they underestimated the universal opposition that they experienced.

They thought that there would be a confused and panicked reaction with rival factions arguing amongst themselves about what to do about it and before they knew it the comp would be up and running and the job would be done.

A monumental misjudgment on their behalf.
Report TheBetterBettor April 21, 2021 6:18 PM BST
Big 4/6 clubs bored of dead rubber games, small clubs turning up and just parking the bus for the bore draws.... so of course it all might need a bit of a shakeup....

Any ideas???? maybe cut the league in half midway thru the season like they do in scotland
Report Giuseppe April 21, 2021 6:23 PM BST
distribute tv money more equally so other clubs can compete
Report chipbutty April 21, 2021 6:38 PM BST
TBB small teams like A Villa or Newcastle or Everton parking the bus? Those 3 teams at least are EVERY bit as big as Chelsea and Man City and are massive clubs in their own right, because they don't have rich owners it doesn't make them any less massive.

You're idea is just pandering to the rich and getting the also rans out the way as soon as possible, it does nothing to solve the problem which is the rich are too rich and have too big an advantage to make the sport of interest to anyone other than the fans of the richest clubs or the watch from home, never been fanatical about a team, fake fans.

Giuseppe's idea is more along the right lines, we have to bring more equality to the game, it should not be ALL about the richest clubs and no one else has a chance, it's killing the game!!
Report TheBetterBettor April 21, 2021 6:45 PM BST
Everton owner Moshiri has more money than John henry
Report TheBetterBettor April 21, 2021 6:46 PM BST
heck theyre even building a new stadium
Report chipbutty April 21, 2021 7:00 PM BST
I'm sure all owners of prem clubs are classed as super rich in comparison to the average man. My choice of words was wrong, it should not be about the clubs who are willing to spend the most money (more often than not which will put the club into debt) and make it impossible for the others to compete.

Spend millions on the best players with ridiculous wage demands and snakes as agents, get into debt and then try and solve the problem, not by trying to run your club better but by trying to get even more money from some ridiculous scheme like they've just tried.

You can put whatever spin on it you want, money is killing the game at the top end, it's becoming less and less competitive and as a consequence boring to anyone who doesn't fall into the 2 categories I named before.
Report TheBetterBettor April 21, 2021 7:09 PM BST
Maybe adopting the draft system like in the nfl....but that could be seen as rewarding failure. I can imagine clubs fighting to finish 17th opposed to 10th, so they could  get the first pick
Report Angoose April 21, 2021 7:12 PM BST
First pick from where, there aint no college system delivering the next crop of players Mischief
Report REDROB April 21, 2021 7:17 PM BST
Maybe take a leaf out of the champions league book from the mid 90's, each team only allowed 5 foreigners. But whereas they deemed welsh scottish and irish as foreign we wouldnt. Would aid the National team too, although diminish english clubs chances in Europe. But so what, might make the FA cup mean something again.
Report 1st time poster April 21, 2021 7:24 PM BST
think chipbutty has read this completely wrong ,chairmen /owners maybe by default have worked out besides a slack handful their are no BEST PLAYERS, out there all just much as a muchness and complete guess as to whether  they,ll improve your teram never mind improve it enough to qualify for ch lg, arsenal struggling to get top 6 last few year despite spending 100,s of millions on wages fees on bangyemam and ozil, and west ham might make it with a man utd reject on loan
Report chipbutty April 21, 2021 7:24 PM BST
The solution is both simple and at the same time will be impossible to implement. Everyone is coming at this from the totally wrong angle, and by everyone I mean the men in the most powerful positions and most able to do something about the problem.

They are looking at the model and saying "how can we get more money into the game"? The fact is there's more than enough money in the game if it's distributed better and these people ran their clubs more responsibly and football as a whole became more responsible. Players earn too much money, agents get paid massive sums for basically being slimy bastards and when there is so much money involved, corruption is rife and that further directs lots of the money pot in the wrong direction.

I could go on forever, the simple fact is there is TOO much money in football now, but it's totally lob sided and money is the root of all evil and I'll say it again it's killing the game I love.
Report Angoose April 21, 2021 7:31 PM BST
An interesting argument.........
Report 1st time poster April 21, 2021 7:32 PM BST
its not about the money in the game,theres more than enough but its what it buys you,spending 200 mill 10 years ago guaranteed you ch lg,now it buys you ozil/bangy and mid table,and an oilgarth,saudi prince can buy a club and put in 20 times more than any ch lg money
theyve worked out investment cant guarantee them money so want to take money out not invest in,non of the 300/400 mill ch lg in ERSL was to be allowed to be spent on players/wages
Report chipbutty April 21, 2021 7:39 PM BST
Let's use this hypothetical example as to why this easy solution will never work. In the first year of the Premier, the biggest signing was A Shearer to Blackburn on a reported 10 grand a week. Now lets say instead of offering him 10 grand a week, he was offered 50 grand a week. He'd have thought all his Christmases had come at once. Now fat forward to 2021 and tell a bang average player like P Pogba that next year he'll be on 50 grand a week, what do you think he would say? Obviously he'd be off in a shot to another club that was willing to pay him 300 grand.

Everyone would have to be in it together and as we all know when vast sums of money are involved people, money people, tend to be very selfish and look after number one.
Report Giuseppe April 21, 2021 7:51 PM BST
drafts can only work in a closed league like the NFL because the wage bills of the clubs are capped and are all more or less the same

you don't earn more at dallas than at buffalo
Report 1st time poster April 21, 2021 9:09 PM BST
your not getting it are you chippy,juve,utd etc have realised whatever the money poga hasnt won them the euro cup,lec/west ham are challenging for ch lg with journeymen,if they got ESL  glazer,s etc would be happy to play stiffs,kids for 23 years and fill their bank accounts with cash they used to spend on pogba and be no worse off cause pogba,s not winning you ch lg, the ones that did messi,ronny arnt out there
theyve finally sussed whats the point in spending 400/500 million on players and arnt certain to finish above lec/west ham/everton etc,arsenal spent half a billion for mid table stagnation,burnley/n,castle,leeds doing it for next to nothing in comparrisson,  do it for next to nothing
Report moisok April 21, 2021 10:29 PM BST
weymouth will be joining the prem league
Report moisok April 21, 2021 10:30 PM BST
ps   all the above is about making money and not playing soccerball  - just saying

except for weymouth
Report moisok April 21, 2021 10:31 PM BST
anyway  - I have been deprived of an extra 160 games to bet on now you lot of so called footy fans and their cheerleaders have cancelled the new super league  - shame on you
Report REDROB April 21, 2021 11:09 PM BST
Lost count of the amount of times you've typed that moisok. and as you bet on so many games you must be a real whizz with numbers, so can you explain why only 160 games ?
Report Giuseppe April 21, 2021 11:14 PM BST
mo is a legend on this forum, you need to show some respect
Report TheBetterBettor April 22, 2021 12:09 AM BST
We go again...

Report Giuseppe April 22, 2021 12:12 AM BST
this would piss of scottish football fans no end

what are the rest of the clubs supposed to do?
Report Giuseppe April 22, 2021 12:13 AM BST
Rangers have a global fanbase?
Report Giuseppe April 22, 2021 12:13 AM BST
global = Belfast?
Report EastLower Gooner April 22, 2021 8:29 AM BST
Steve Parish interview last night...

Spent 10 minutes attacking the 6 clubs, the ESL, the current state of the Champions League where the Belorussian champions have to play games in the summer to qualify and calling for reform.

Even mentioned that the 6 can be forgiven but it will take time...like if you caught your wife cheating on you or something.

Here’s the kicker...

He was then asked if the German 50+1 fan model would be something he would be open too.

Loooool the backtracking and waffling was great.

Loads of umms and ahs filled by well you know despite what’s happened there’s loads of things we do get right and a lot of good that we do.

-

Sums it up for me...this lot don’t give a sh*t about us fans...all they want is out money and to keep raping us for it.

Protests won’t work...these clubs, tv companies, football organisations like UEFA need to a lesson in who really has the power in this relationship and it’s us fans.

Means no more buying kits, no merch, no tickets, no tv packages and start targeting sponsors with boycotts.

Bring them to their knees imo!
Report Whisperingdeath April 22, 2021 12:07 PM BST
Can you imagine cancelling tv sports subscriptions fir even a month en masse?

The power grab is real and has not gone away. They will continually try to cream the money for themselves. It is not looking good for smaller clubs or the grass roots.
Report duffy April 22, 2021 5:14 PM BST
IMO the Prem League will bottle out from any meaningful punishment and use the excuse that they don't want to penalize the fans.

I'm a fan and I want them heavily punished by way of points deductions and I reckon I'm in the majority.
Report Whisperingdeath April 22, 2021 5:54 PM BST
YEAH!
Report duffy April 22, 2021 6:03 PM BST
What do the banners outside the Etihad say?

Please stay?Mischief
Report SontaranStratagem April 22, 2021 7:07 PM BST

Apr 21, 2021 -- 6:09PM, TheBetterBettor wrote:

We go again...

The whole super league thing is here to stay, they just sold it as something for 12 clubs, whereas it'll be the main global clubs (about 50 or 60 will survive) that will stay and join other leagues that's all

Its hard to explain without spinning people heads out, but their wont be clubs like Derby, Forest, Sheff Weds etc when its all come in, that "era" is finished, there wont be a league 1 or 2 or none league, it'll be prem 1 and prem 2 with prem 2 being the feeder club league.

People have already been sold the idea with the super league they just don't know it yet, that was a smoke screen and deliberately sold as s*ite

Report wisewords April 22, 2021 7:08 PM BST
Don't be so negative Sont ffs.
Report SontaranStratagem April 22, 2021 7:09 PM BST
Basically it'll be the game being slashed by about 80% ie the club numbers around the world, the stadiums etc

They'll sell it as its needed for the survival of the game, to cut "emissions", to cut finances etc

All part of agenda 21 and "no one gets left behind"... are people starting to get it yet!!!!
Report SontaranStratagem April 22, 2021 7:09 PM BST
Its not negative its fact!!!!
Report SontaranStratagem April 22, 2021 7:11 PM BST
It might explain a real lack of effort from a lot of these players, they've been given the facts and they know its gonna be taken apart
Report REDROB April 22, 2021 7:11 PM BST
SS and his conspirocy theories, one of the few on here who still believes Don won the election. Laugh
Report SontaranStratagem April 22, 2021 7:12 PM BST
We'll see wont we redrob
Report REDROB April 22, 2021 7:12 PM BST
we will indeed
Report A_T April 24, 2021 5:33 PM BST
Florentino Perez doubling down - this is hilarious seeing the mess this lot have got themselves into
Report TheBetterBettor April 24, 2021 7:58 PM BST
Surprised they did just field their reserve teams to play in the ESL at the start.  Then when no one cared, slowly draft in the superstars.
Report moisok April 24, 2021 8:36 PM BST
they will be back  meanwhile they will use this to put pressure on the various organisations to get their way

great negotiation position
Report moisok April 24, 2021 8:37 PM BST
even klopp telling you to calm down  - says it all for me
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com