Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ericster
01 Apr 21 09:48
| Topic/replies: 3,791 | Blogger: ericster's blog
"We have sharp young players.
Kicking the stable door down, catching pigeons, so to speak.
We're really in a [good place] right now."

And they are, they are.

Optimism to burn.

How many times have we heard that.

Is it too much [playing-time]?
What?

So sad, for them...

Yes yes, it's only one game.
But what if Lewandowski had been on the field?
With him, and I've been reading about where some of those players play their league games, I don't think Poland would be too concerned about a re-match.

Not looking to bad mouth them here.
Not a fan but I DO like to see them do well.
Pause Switch to Standard View England's glass ceiling.
Show More
Report rothko April 1, 2021 12:53 PM BST
did you have anyone in mind?

dont look good enough to me based on recent performances
Report ericster April 1, 2021 1:03 PM BST
Oh I don't know, rothko,  we always seem to make hard work of it.
And then, what about Germany yesterday?

Okay, what do I know?
Point taken.
Report ProSniper April 2, 2021 8:17 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XCzAjrATkM&t=49s&ab_channel=ESPNUK
Report brentford April 2, 2021 8:23 PM BST
the fairly obvious problem still remains that whenever things aren't going well or we are playing a good side, once the energy and intensity dies off (sometimes it's not there to start with) there is no one that can dictate the game for us and hasn't been since (peak) Gascoigne
Report roache April 2, 2021 9:01 PM BST
I am not even convinced we will get out of our group of Croatia,Czech Rep and the the Scots yet the bookies laughably take us all as Mugs making England favourites for the Euros
Report ericster April 3, 2021 10:04 AM BST
FAVOURITES?Surprised
Report betting_masta April 3, 2021 2:23 PM BST
I do think there is a systemic problem with England Football whereby players are too quickly promoted, the senior team is overly reliant on young players because the old players just don't seem to cut it anymore. they have zero longevity. Walcott and Wilshere are two fantastic examples, once they hit 25/26 they weren't any good (Maybe a bit harsh) but it seems like England players "peak" quite early and then it's a steady decline. England could do with giving players like Foden more time to mature, play them at U21 level for a certain # of games before promoting them. Having young players in the senior side seems to be some badge of honour when really what it's saying is well your older players aren't very good then, they didn't kick on, because these "kids" are better. National teams should only have 1 or 2 maximum u21 eligible players in their senior team, any more than that and it points to systemic problems. You're going to get outliers, i.e. Foden is probably an outlier in terms of ability for his age group compared to peers of the same nationality, but there's almost this weird obsession with young players in English football, like they are going to be the holy grail, the saviours. Other nations don't really have it to the same degree from what I see. Potentially it's actually a safety net of being able to say, if they don't succeed, "well they're a young team, they'll get better", well oftentimes they don't., and it's just a very useful get out of jail card for when a manager fails. There's lots of weird psychological stuff going on in English football which is deep rooted and will take time to change. Or maybe it's not even that deep and it's just a game?
Report ericster April 3, 2021 2:59 PM BST
Potentially it's actually a safety net of being able to say, if they don't succeed, "well they're a young team, they'll get better", well oftentimes they don't., and it's just a very useful get out of jail card for when a manager fails. There's lots of weird psychological stuff going on in English football which is deep rooted and will take time to change. Or maybe it's not even that deep and it's just a game?

Yep.

They'll get there,
or, they're getting there,
or, we're really in a good place right now.

But it doesn't happen.
Report lurka April 3, 2021 10:56 PM BST
Get a proper manager in. This guy did nothing to deserve the job and he hasn't done anything special since he got it. He is the ceiling.
Report ericster April 4, 2021 9:38 AM BST
"Get a proper manager in."

Like who lurka?
Report Aspro April 4, 2021 9:38 AM BST
Whatever way you look at it, we still reached a semi-final under Southgate, only the third manager to achieve that, albeit ducking out and taking the easier route, which I felt done us more harm than good. No, not special at all, but still only equalled or bettered by two other managers... in our history!
Report ericster April 4, 2021 9:49 AM BST
albeit ducking out and taking the easier route

Ahem!
Report lurka April 4, 2021 10:46 AM BST
I dunno but he's prob the least experienced and least deserving manager England has ever had. Someone who has more tactical nous and who can set you up to not get beat when needed. Portugal won the Euros only beating one team in 90 mins. France, for all their flair against 10 man Croatia and the Argies, played very defensively against both Uruguay and Belgium and it was set-piece goals from centre halves that got them through those ties, not attacking football. They were looking to win free-kicks around the box in those matches rather than create, didn't want to risk going a goal down to either of them. You need to be able to do that too.

The World Cup was great for England while it was on but I think after he is gone it could/should be looked at as a big missed opportunity. You won't get a draw like that again and while Croatia were the better footballing team they were very beatable and relatively weak opposition for a WC SF. Getting to the SF looks great but you didn't beat anyone you shouldn't have and got beat by both teams you should.
Report ericster April 4, 2021 11:24 AM BST
"The World Cup was great for England while it was on but I think after he is gone it could/should be looked at as a big missed opportunity. You won't get a draw like that again and while Croatia were the better footballing team they were very beatable and relatively weak opposition for a WC SF. Getting to the SF looks great but you didn't beat anyone you shouldn't have and got beat by both teams you should."

Can't argue with that.
We need a Klopp or a Guardiola, on Southgates salary? Yeah right.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! April 4, 2021 5:59 PM BST
Mings is a
DONUT

Laugh
Report roache April 8, 2021 10:51 PM BST
The Croatian semi final we dominated the game in the 1st half winning 1-0 and should have gone 2-0 up but Kane fluffed it from a tight angle 2 yards out with the goalkeeper marooned on the floor then in the 2nd half the match turned as we were totally outplayed with

Perisic taking his goal superbly albeit a very debatable high boot that some would say was a foul anywhere else on the pitch,meanwhile the highboot woke Walker up as  he was oblivious to the danger and what did Southgate do once Croatia became very dominate

very little from my memory like a startled Rabbit as the 2nd half pattern of play continued into extra time where Mandzukic had Stones on toast as again an English defender was fast asleep oblivious to the danger and somehow from a very probable victory Southgate

managed to lose to a team that we beat as often as they beat us as Croatia are no world cup heavyweights like Germany or Brazil, what an opportunity missed the best since 66 and the pain continues Cry
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com