Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
differentdrum
03 Jan 21 20:50
| Topic/replies: 14,346 | Blogger: differentdrum's blog
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/amateur/huddersfield-birmingham-salute-frank-worthington-17308862

My favourite player. Never played for a top club and didn't win any trophies but one of the great entertainers in a much tougher era.
Pause Switch to Standard View Frank Worthington - Sad To Stumble...
Show More
Report geordie1956 January 3, 2021 9:07 PM GMT
Frank was one of the entertainers of that era but there were so many as I remember ... enjoyed their free time (gambling; women & drink for the most part) & entertained the crowds on a Saturday afternoon. Far better to remember them than the faceless characters of today who have millions but never seem to enjoy themselves ... give me a St James park or a baseball ground covered in mud & see how todays prima donnas would react playing on that
Shame about his illness ... i remember him playing for Leicester around 1972 arriving at St James & getting off the team bus wearing his finery thinking what a **** but he was a fine player
Report elisjohn January 3, 2021 9:08 PM GMT
scored one  of the  best goal ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0z_arXZ8nM
Report sparrow January 3, 2021 9:53 PM GMT
Used to see Frank regularly in my local betting shop at the time in Huddersfield. I think he liked it there as most knew him and didn't trouble him at all.
Report roache January 3, 2021 10:49 PM GMT
Watched Frank playing for Bolton at Burnden park during his time there saw him scoring the promotion clinching goal away at Blackburn,the wonder goal v Ipswich,2 goals he scored in a 3-0 pasting of Man utd and many many others he scored as he ended up as the leagues top scorer in 78/79 season whilst playing for a struggling team and something that very rarely happens being the top scorer for a team near the bottom,also saw him score 2 for Leeds v Villa away in a 4-1 win shortly before Villa won the European cup with this season being when Leeds got relegated under Allan Clarke.
Report REDROB January 3, 2021 11:14 PM GMT
Saw him a few times in the club above The Snooty Fox pub in Solihull in the early 80's when he was at Birmingham. Like a drink did Frank.

Too many sad stories on here recently about the characters from the past. God bless em all.
Report Capt__F January 3, 2021 11:16 PM GMT
scored wonder goal for Bham v Forest

real CharacterSad
Report REDROB January 3, 2021 11:17 PM GMT
Scandals nightclub it was called.
Report FatPunt January 4, 2021 11:01 AM GMT
He scored for Leicester City on Saturday morning. I was watching The Big Match Revisited on ITV4 after the Opening Show. More should be been done for retired players, they deserve it for the amount of pleasure they have provided people with over the years.
Report whatyoulookingat January 4, 2021 1:25 PM GMT
nearly signed for liverpool by shankly
failed a fitness test i believe
would have been englands centre forward
if he had of done
great guy is frank
Report spurs to buy big January 5, 2021 7:55 PM GMT
a great talent
Report hello :-) January 5, 2021 8:15 PM GMT
remember him from my youth well im sure it was bolton tho may be wrong

struck me as down to earth and decent chap , lived a little aswell by all accounts
Report mcgill January 10, 2021 8:56 PM GMT
Scored goal of the season while playing for Bolton I think?
Report roache January 10, 2021 10:01 PM GMT
I was at the game 78/79 season v Ipswich couple of juggles with the ball back to goal defender behind him on the edge of the penalty box than flicked the ball towards goal over the defenders head turned and cooly guided a volley into the bottom corner,pure class i think Paul Cooper was the goalkeeper.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com