Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sofaking
25 Nov 20 15:28
| Topic/replies: 37,380 | Blogger: sofaking's blog
RIP.
Pause Switch to Standard View Diego Maradona dies at 60.
Show More
Report mecca November 25, 2020 7:26 PM GMT
I thought it was Fennick that was on the yellow card
Report sparrow November 25, 2020 7:27 PM GMT
You forgot this one Whisperingdeath

duffy 25 Nov 20 18:55 
Someone asked Peter Reid in later years why he couldn't catch him.

Reid replied that if he'd been on what he was on he would have been able to
Report 11kv November 25, 2020 7:34 PM GMT
See the ex son in law is still playing tonight,maybe if he scores he might dedicated it to Diego...
Report mecca November 25, 2020 7:35 PM GMT
I never really got the "Cheat" tag that he got.... It's not like he'd planned the hand ball in advance... What was he supposed to do? Tell the ref not to give it... I'm not convinced that he actually meant to handle it... split second with a big goalie rushing towards you (well sort of rushing....... Shilton was slow and should have done a Schumacher)
Report scandanavian_haven November 25, 2020 7:41 PM GMT
Feel uncomfortable about Lineker paying respects after he called him a laughing stock and something else, at the World Cup 2 years ago.

He came from absolute nothing just seen the shack he grew up in, probably no doubt poorly educated so he lived off of his emotions/instincts so he upset a few people and was also taken advantage off the people around him pulling him down mafia rabbit holes. He is remarkable similar in playing style to Messi but looked stronger
Report TheBetterBettor November 25, 2020 7:43 PM GMT
Johan Cruyff

@JohanCruyff

Rest in peace, Diego Armando Maradona. You are eternal

Confused
Report mecca November 25, 2020 7:45 PM GMT
You could argue that Michael Owen was more of a Cheat by diving for penalty v Argies in 2002
Report betting_masta November 25, 2020 7:46 PM GMT
they've got smartphones in heaven
Report G Hall November 25, 2020 7:50 PM GMT
He was the best I have ever seen, no doubt whatsoever.

The closest to him for me, in the modern era for sheer talent was Ronaldinho.
Report betting_masta November 25, 2020 7:58 PM GMT
Pele,  Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho

^the Mt Rushden of footballers
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 25, 2020 8:04 PM GMT
I'd have cruyff ahead of zidane

Deffo a place in greatest 11 for
maradona

Sad news today.

I felt footy was getting
too physical until he returned
the beautiful game back to beauty.

A sheer joy to watch.
Report sparrow November 25, 2020 8:06 PM GMT
My nomination for the best player I have ever seen would be Alfredo Di Stefano a fellow Argentinian.
Report geordie1956 November 25, 2020 8:09 PM GMT
Pele in my eyes will always be the best of the best but Maradona was a legend of the game & won a World Cup on his own & helped Napoli win Championships because of his ability. He cheated against England & did many things wrong on & off the field but if we are talking a World Class footballer in its proper sense then he was one of only a handful who could really be acclaimed for such legendary status
RIP
Report scandanavian_haven November 25, 2020 8:10 PM GMT
Henry handled the ball against Ireland, it happens, instinct overtakes you, nothing pre meditated
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 25, 2020 8:19 PM GMT
He might point at those
who fouled him deliberately
as being cheats.

It's just a different slant
on it.

He got away with one against
England, and we muse about
cheating to stop him scoring
the second goal as if its normal.
Report jedi sophie November 25, 2020 8:28 PM GMT
A proper footballing genius, as many before and after a flawed one.

To my mind the most talented footballer ever....

What he put up with back in the day compared to now was actually unbelievable.

Football now is borderline basketball, non contact. Then the first 3 were freebies.

Talented beyond belief and a true winner who was brave as any.

RIP Diego. Legend.
Report jedi sophie November 25, 2020 8:32 PM GMT
The cheat comments on here on this day are actually disgusting....

In this game he was kicked elbowed pushed pulled constantly. Start to finish.

I suppose that was part of the game from the English....

Pathetic.

And out of order. Like you wouldve won it anyway.
Report Hank Hill November 25, 2020 8:38 PM GMT
So, during the world cup in 86 I was 11 and when England lost to Argentina I was gutted, especially because of the 'hand of god'. At that age I couldn't appreciate the magnificence of the second goal because he had cheated 'us'. As an adult I can re-watch that second goal (not the 1st lol) and just admire it for what it was - pure poetry. As others have said it is hard to talk about best ever - as I didn't see Pele etc, but he was the best around since I began watching in the early 80s.

There are always comparisons with Messi, but what he did with that average team in the world cup will surely not be reproduced. The poor pitches, the constant hacking, and yet he still did the unthinkable. Can you imagine what he could do in the modern game with the perfect pitches and defenders that cannot breathe on attackers nowadays? Football legend.
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK November 25, 2020 8:40 PM GMT
https://youtu.be/Cdf6D19Etmc
Report elisjohn November 25, 2020 8:58 PM GMT
jedi, yesterday i read that  harry kane was most street wise footballer ever,( getting pens etc, diving etc,) yet diego is a cheat for being street  wise. oh what a player greatest ever, and a good post 8.28
Report jedi sophie November 25, 2020 9:07 PM GMT
My father saw him  at Hampden park as an 18 ,19 year old ElisJohn to this day adamant not only the best young player he ever seen in the flesh.
But went on to become the best he has ever seen. End of story.
Hes 77.

And he is a huge Messi fan too....

Almost cant compare generations due to how different it is.

Diego is right up there for me, no question.

Plenty footage over next few days to marvel at....
Report Charlton2005 November 25, 2020 9:10 PM GMT
Gordon McQueen did a hand of god in the 79 cup final

no one said a word
Report Whisperingdeath November 25, 2020 9:10 PM GMT
I am too bitter and twisted to let the cheating go!

I couldn't like him because I liked Pele and beautiful football circa 1970.

I still hate the Jocks after '86 too!

I might be prepared to concede that what some have said on here is not untrue n' that's all!

Bitter and twisted, bitter and twisted, bitter and twisted!
Report Charlton2005 November 25, 2020 9:10 PM GMT
Gordon McQueen did a hand of god in the 79 cup final

no one said a word
Report Charlton2005 November 25, 2020 9:14 PM GMT
----you-have-to-laugh---
Date Joined: 06 Jul 10
Add contact | Send message
25 Nov 20 21:19
Joined: 06 Jul 10 | Topic/replies: 14,085 | Blogger: ----you-have-to-laugh---'s blog
He might point at those
who fouled him deliberately
as being cheats.

It's just a different slant
on it.

He got away with one against
England, and we muse about
cheating to stop him scoring
the second goal as if its normal.

amen
Report jedi sophie November 25, 2020 9:18 PM GMT
Lineker said tonight after he scored his second goal v England he actually wanted to applaud.....

For all you bitters.
Report betting_masta November 25, 2020 9:19 PM GMT
Gary Lineker Shags Crisps
Report elisjohn November 25, 2020 9:25 PM GMT
jedi, i remember a game when he was about 17, i thought that it was v eng at wembley a goalless draw , he was magnificent, but it might have been the scotish match youre dad saw.Wink, the match i saw was sportsnight on a wed evening
Report elisjohn November 25, 2020 9:29 PM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXrbxzKveRY, yes here is my memory
Report Coachbuster November 25, 2020 9:37 PM GMT
the friendly at Wemnbley was in 1980 elisjohn
Report elisjohn November 25, 2020 9:38 PM GMT
yes thats the one coachbuster , thx
Report mecca November 25, 2020 9:53 PM GMT
Ray Clemence was in goal for England
Report elisjohn November 25, 2020 10:00 PM GMT
cheers mecca
Report ffaith November 25, 2020 10:28 PM GMT
FFS the milestones are coming thick and fast.
The greatest players I ever saw were both lefties, shorter than average and argies.  Diego and Leo and now one has goneCry
Report mega88 November 25, 2020 10:32 PM GMT
RIP the Main Man

Report themightymac November 25, 2020 11:12 PM GMT
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I was at the Argentina game at Hampden. It was 1979 and they beat us 3-1. Maradona put on a show that night. Different class he was.
Report Whisperingdeath November 26, 2020 8:32 AM GMT
I can't have that Messi was better than Maradona
Report CLYDEBANK29 November 26, 2020 9:33 AM GMT
I'd say Messi was better.   Better stats and more longevity.  Arguably more great goals, just didn't score them in the WC.

Maradona 1986 easily the best performance at a WC though of anyone by a distance
Report MJK November 26, 2020 9:37 AM GMT
Great to see a player like him never resorted to diving, even among all the horror tackles he received.
Report lfc1971 November 26, 2020 10:27 AM GMT
Not the greatest goal ever, Jimmy Greaves scored many greater , great player sad news
Report TheBetterBettor November 26, 2020 12:59 PM GMT
Since the pope is from Argentina...

We could have our first footballer saint.
Report ericster November 26, 2020 1:07 PM GMT
Y'know? it's weird.
When I think of him, I see a ten year old kid in a coke advert kicking a ball on the beach.
Life eh?
Report scandanavian_haven November 26, 2020 1:39 PM GMT
having better stats and playing for longer doesn't make someone better, if that were the case untold players are better than Maradonna.
Report sixtwosix November 26, 2020 1:46 PM GMT
I'd say Messi was better.

He spent his career surrounded by most of the spanish national team when they were the best in the world.
Xavi and Iniesta either side of Maradona and who knows the domination .

Messi , despite playing with superior players than Maradona at international level ....Aguerro , Tevez , Mascherono , Veron .........leaves no marker at that level, his player of the tournament in Rio was beyond farcical .....how it was not a german player I will never know....
Report scandanavian_haven November 26, 2020 3:01 PM GMT
because he carried a bang average Argentinian team to the final and lost narrowly to a far superior German team, can't believe people's analysis on who is better is based on  Maradonna winning 1 more match at a World Cup, would Argentina in 86 have beaten Germany in 2014? you surely look at their careers as a whole and the level of performances and ability, there's nothing between them really
Report dr . atkins November 26, 2020 3:06 PM GMT
a cheat and stuck it up his nose great model for young players
Report Winner_Winner_Chicken_Diner November 26, 2020 4:20 PM GMT
Unique as a player and character. Lived pretty wreckless but what a life he had. He will be remembered  for hundreds, possibly thousands of years to come.
Report scandanavian_haven November 26, 2020 4:20 PM GMT
Drogba was a cheat, in his early years at Chelsea he never stopped diving.
Report dr . atkins November 26, 2020 4:22 PM GMT
what drogba got to do with anything
Report irishone November 26, 2020 4:23 PM GMT
Maradona was a dirty cheating drug taking count
Report Winner_Winner_Chicken_Diner November 26, 2020 4:27 PM GMT
The documentary called Maradona by kusturica is a great watch to get an understanding behind the man. Nobody is perfect, he grew up poor and uneducated. Argentina politically is still a mess which is a shame as its a beautiful country with huge potential. Diego remained ignorant on politics to his end but there is the other side of the story. The poor in Argentina seen the English as the colonial oppressor's and handling the ball and getting one over them was a fcuk you to the man. His story is hard to better though, flaws and all. What he did in Naples is still remarkable. They had a good team but they were provincial.
Report Whisperingdeath November 26, 2020 5:56 PM GMT
The poor in Argentina seen the English as the colonial oppressor's and handling the ball and getting one over them was a fcuk you to the man

Tim Vickery said the same thing and in that context I can understand it. Fact is kicking someone, running your studs down his calf when the ball was nowhere near, spitting, trying to get him sent off is just as bad in my book....but he did it against us and it still hurts!
Report scandanavian_haven November 26, 2020 6:05 PM GMT
you support Chelsea don't you? Drogba was a prolific cheat, I'm not getting uppity about that just making the point why call Maradonna a cheat when one of your clubs biggest legends was worse, good player though.
Report Winner_Winner_Chicken_Diner November 26, 2020 6:24 PM GMT
Tim Vickery said the same thing and in that context I can understand it. Fact is kicking someone, running your studs down his calf when the ball was nowhere near, spitting, trying to get him sent off is just as bad in my book....but he did it against us and it still hurts!

I looked Vickery up, he lives in South America. I'l have to listen to his take.

I seen the clip yesterday of the cup brawl against Bilbao. He seemed to knee that dude right in the face and put him to sleep lol. It was insane but that was the times. He was no saint but I think being a flawed genius is what endears him more to the people than someone whos seen as perfect like Messi. Messi is loved but it will never be like Maradona. He was way before my time but I'll remember his crazy football highlights over his other crazy antics.
Report scandanavian_haven November 26, 2020 6:57 PM GMT
Tim Vickery is excellent, what he doesn't know about South American football isn't worth knowing about, been on talksport as a SA correspondent for years, sat in with Danny Kelly on podcasts etc, was on BBC as a guess during 2014 World Cup, made Shearer and Ferdinand seem like clueless amateurs with his intricate knowledge and breakdowns.
Report elisjohn November 26, 2020 7:12 PM GMT
the biggest cheat in football now is kane, but funny the english says hes the most street wise footballer in the worldLaugh
Report jedi sophie November 26, 2020 9:23 PM GMT
Some fantastic tributes and videos and clips today....

Forget all the shenanigans and remember the footballer.

Legend.
Report Whisperingdeath November 27, 2020 4:25 AM GMT
I am warming to the idea of not completely hating Maradona but it is difficult. I am still bitter and twisted!

What I will say is that he was a genius footballer. The stats people just don't understand that. The last couple of days I have been defending Maradona's genius against a young pup Messi stat man at work. Genius does not care about statistics. KP is the best English batsman since I started watching in 1970. More than that he was entertaining and a natural I would rather eat my own ear wax than watch Cook bat. Cook is England's highest Test scorer. The stats don't lie. He is England's highest Test run scorer....yawn, so what!

Maradona is almost beyond comparison but still a cheat! Bitter and twisted!

The Tim Vickery angle was really interesting. Not sure if it was on radio 5 or talk sport but I don't think the young'uns recognise the political sensitivity of the game at the time. I am not a rabid jingoist but fcek it hurt not just losing to the Argies but being cheated out of it and moreso by the fact that he was proud of it! that is where the Argentinian take on it is so interesting. While we always support the underdog we really don't know what it is like to be oppressed by a foreign power.

Sorry to bring politics into this but we were not AT WAR with Argentina. I think there was a reason for that.
Report Charlton2005 November 27, 2020 9:27 AM GMT
just watch the 79 cup final and you'll forgive maradona
Report Whisperingdeath November 27, 2020 4:50 PM GMT
Can't, bitter and twisted!

But I will not have anyone saying Messi or Ronaldo were better. Pele and Garrincha form my Holy Trinity with Maradona and George BestConfusedWink
Report sparrow November 27, 2020 4:53 PM GMT
A good 4 you have picked there Whispering but you should have added Di Stefano as well.
Report Whisperingdeath November 27, 2020 4:55 PM GMT
Fcek me Charlton. I still hate Chelsea after the 1970 FA Cup Final...the first game of football that made me cry!

You think I am going to let that cheating midget coke snorter off the hook FFS!

Personally I would have sent 2 Para to Buenos Aires for a guard of honour!
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 5:00 PM GMT
Ronaldo and Messi are slightly ahead of Maradona tbf ,they have to be  ..but, and the big but  is they don't carry injuries sustained by players trying to kick lumps out of you , and they have better players around them.

Maradona was in the George Best mould of  'flashes of brilliance'   Maradona would frequently go missing  but then once every now and then would  turn on the style .

I also don't think Maradaona's fitness levels of then  would cut it today ...but after saying that, if Mardona started out in 2005  he could be in  the same league as Messi and Ronaldo today if he didn't let his wayward lifestyle get the bettr of him  ...and tht's the difference ...CR7 is totally dedicated to becoming the best  ...Maradona was the best but didn't really work at it  ...he just performed
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 5:03 PM GMT
I'm hearing a lot of people of a certain vintage  saying how they though Eusebio .Puskas and de Stefano were all  better or as good  as Pele   .... thoughts on that one please
Report Whisperingdeath November 27, 2020 5:20 PM GMT
Yes maybe sparrow but I haven't seem footage of di Stefano although I know the contribution he made from reading

Hesus Christo though sparrow I just watched youtube with a sequence of Di Stefano and at one point he passed to the number 10 who looked like Johnny Giles who passed to Bremner and Di Setefano with 9 on his back looked like Mick Jones and either Madrid ( Ath ) or Bilbao looked like Southampton in the 7-0

Freaked me out!
Report Whisperingdeath November 27, 2020 5:28 PM GMT
A lot of people slightly older than me mention Eusebio but again I never really saw him play. I have seen stuff on Puskas and he is up there in The Pantheon.

Strange game football. In cricket and boxing you can almost tell how good somebody was even though they may have been born more than 100 years ago but in football it is hard to judge

Oh and Cassius Clay would have whupped Mike Tyson
Report sparrow November 27, 2020 5:33 PM GMT
Very difficult to compare all those great players coachbuster.  I would also add our own Tom Finney, Garrincha and Didi to those already mentioned. I first saw Pele in the 1958 World Cup which was all shown on the BBC and won by Brazil with Pele just 17 years of age.
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 5:45 PM GMT
Oh and Cassius Clay would have whupped Mike Tyson

Tyson was just a brawler Grin
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 5:49 PM GMT

Nov 27, 2020 -- 11:33AM, sparrow wrote:

Very difficult to compare all those great players coachbuster.

Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 5:50 PM GMT
WhoopsWhoopsWhoops
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 5:50 PM GMT
deleted the whole bloody piece
Report sixtwosix November 27, 2020 5:53 PM GMT
Ronaldo and Messi are slightly ahead of Maradona tbf ,they have to be

I don't see why they have to bet ...Messi spent his career with Iniesta and Xavi , and neither will ever been tackled by the likes of Goikoetexa or played on those old surfaces
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 5:56 PM GMT
was saying sparrow about having the footage avaialable too ...these players only really seen by the lucky few .

in fact i don't recall a single napoli match that Maradonna played in  ...only recently been able to catch any footage ...  also the Maradona match vs red star belgrade where the home fans rED sTAR all applauded that special goal

watched the Hungary v England  match on here the other day ...loved the Puskas dragback
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 5:58 PM GMT

Nov 27, 2020 -- 11:53AM, sixtwosix wrote:

Ronaldo and Messi are slightly ahead of Maradona tbf ,they have to beI don't see why they have to bet ...Messi spent his career with Iniesta and Xavi , and neither will ever been tackled by the likes of Goikoetexa or played on those old surfaces

standard are just slightly higher these days ... a whole combination of things really .

it's like how the 100 metres will only ever get quicker times  ...they will be laughing in the face of usain bolts times in another 100 years

Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 5:59 PM GMT
CR7s dedication to the game is unbelievable  ..such intensity   .... George Best on the other hand arrived at the game via the Bookies and the flag and dragon
Report sparrow November 27, 2020 6:05 PM GMT
Yes that Hungary v England game brings back memories. As I was only 6 years old and was just getting interested in football I believed what everyone was saying about England being the best in the world and of course were unbeaten at Wembley. We were completely outplayed in the 6-3 thrashing yet people were still saying that we would get our revenge in a return game in Budapest later that year......We lost 7-1.
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 6:14 PM GMT
Hungary probably the best side of all time (relatively speaking)  in terms of being so far out in front of the pack . 

I believe they were conned out of the world cup in the final v germany  Sad
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 6:16 PM GMT
sparrow yes, that game was over 2 legs  i believe   ...3 v 6 at wembley of course folloed by a 7-1 thrashing in Hungary  ...i'm pretty certain the hungarians eased off too in the second half out there
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 6:17 PM GMT
next up to watch on my list  ... Eusabio
Report sparrow November 27, 2020 6:27 PM GMT
Eusebio I remembered winning a match virtually singlehanded for Portugal in the 1966 World Cup. They were actually 3-0 down against North Korea a team that the English fans had taken to their hearts but Eusebio then broke all our hearts with a brilliant performance by scoring 4 goals in succession as Portugal went on to win 5-3.
Report sparrow November 27, 2020 6:34 PM GMT
Yes coachbuster, a real shocker that Hungary did not win the 1954 World Cup and the two stars in that side was Puskas and Hidegkuti. After all they had already thrashed the winners West Germany in the earlier group game 8-3 following a 9-0 mauling of South Korea.
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 6:43 PM GMT
this Eusebio looks a good prospect so far
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 6:45 PM GMT
a lot of these games/clips maybe in the Portugese league ?   so i'm trying to get a measure   ...not keen on that tackle by Stiles btw ,looked a tad malicious   ...that must've been the 1966 world cup
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 6:46 PM GMT
poor Eusebio ... looks like everyone was out to cripple him  Sad
Report sparrow November 27, 2020 6:52 PM GMT
Stiles was slaughtered for that challenged but Ramsey stood by him.
Report SontaranStratagem November 27, 2020 8:05 PM GMT
RIP

Always said if it wasn't for his cheating for the 1st he'd have not scored the brilliant 2nd, he'd have not risked being crippled at 0-0, and our defenders one of them would have hacked him down before the box at 0-0, couldn't risk a booking or a sending off at 1-0, but they should have still hacked the little bas*ard down anyway just for the cheating for the 1st if anything.

I'd have crippled the cant if he'd done that to me, took one for the lads
Report betting_masta November 27, 2020 8:16 PM GMT
https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1332269670884397056

shows the big heart Diego had^
Report betting_masta November 27, 2020 8:19 PM GMT
the fact that maradona had flaws is what made people love him so much. nobody has the same love for say a roger federer who arguably is as great a sportsman but is seemingly perfect. maradona lived his life in such a way that he was relatable to everybody because he made mistakes
Report SontaranStratagem November 27, 2020 8:29 PM GMT
True betting masta

Its why I prefer Djock to Federer personally, at least Djock has emotion
Report mad mad moon November 27, 2020 8:31 PM GMT
The 1954 World Cup could have been organized by Chris Grayling.
4 groups of 4 , but you only played  2 other teams in the group.???
Then if 2 teams were level on points in 2nd they would have a play off game to determine the runner up in the group.
Then the 4 group winners were put in the top half of the knockout draw, and the four runners up in the bottom half.
That’s why the Germans put out a reserve team against Hungary in the group match, knowing they would come runners up,
and have an easier path to the final.
Oh , and to kick lumps out of Puskas so he was only half fit for the final.
Report betting_masta November 27, 2020 8:36 PM GMT
Maradona and Messi playing football tennis ... Enjoy
https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1332101832651534336
Report Winner_Winner_Chicken_Diner November 27, 2020 10:37 PM GMT
it's like how the 100 metres will only ever get quicker times  ...they will be laughing in the face of usain bolts times in another 100 years

Coach, there is a good ted talk on that showing the technology advancements in he running gear etc has made people that bit quicker but the physical improvement is actually very little in that time. Its worth a listen.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 27, 2020 10:39 PM GMT
Messi and Ronaldo have taken goal scoring to new levels.

Can't decide who is better, but love watching Messi more, sadly never seen him play live. Ronaldo is better in the air too.

Maradona was head and shoulders best
of his day. But he's playing a different position, I never saw him lack for fitness
in his peak

Pele was jewel in crown of greatest team
ever. And he still managed to shine.

Eusebio was a powerful skillful player
who would surely have thrived
in English footy. But benfica
didn't need let him go.

Cruyff was magical, and a great thinker
as well as a marvelous player. Another
one that helped move the game forward.

Puskas before my time but looks great
on YouTube, and his Hungarian team
changed football for the better.

Gerd muller doesn't get too many
mentions in greatest ever, probably
because you didn't notice him until
he stuck it in back of the net.

Greatest of all time, hmmm?
Report mecca November 27, 2020 10:55 PM GMT
I once heard Pele saying that he thought Nicky Butt was the greatest
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 27, 2020 11:01 PM GMT
Ha ha, wasn't that a bit of psychology
during 2002 World Cup...
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 11:26 PM GMT
yhtl -  that list could almost read like a GOAT of the decade competition and that's maybe where it's best left

I suppose you can only be the best of YOUR time  . Watching 60s and 70s football now on video to me is like watching 13-14 year olds playing  on a school field with no real plan B or plan A in some cases ...wayward shots,bad passes,clumasy mis-timed tackles, it's pretty poor to watch tbf compared with nowadays on the whole.   

I suppose it would also be unfair to claim overall Goatness given that CR7 is simply born into an era of much better football and better pitches/facilities/advisors and other great footballers around him . . Felt sorry for Eusebio getting hacked to shreds on the videos  ...damn , it's like the other footballers were so miffed by being outplayed by the great man .

Eusebio ,Cruyff,De Stefano  still would have been the best today with the dedication present ...but they'd be more skilled because of it .

Just been watching Platini (juventus) and he was pretty poor on the whole ...he would need to improve to make it onto the 2020 teamsheet judging him on that performance ...
Report Coachbuster November 27, 2020 11:27 PM GMT
winner winner, dunno why i mentioned Bolt really ... sprinting maybe a crude example  ...   maybe a team sport is a better example
Report mecca November 28, 2020 12:16 AM GMT
The WC like the Olympics is the best of the best at that particular time... a lot of great players never played in the world cup... Bestie and Giggsy immediately spring to mind.......  but if they had been so great, they would have at least got their team qualified.

There is only one player that people say won the world cup on his own, carried the team or whatever you want to call it. Pele had a great team around him in 1970....... Cruyff? Messi? CR? never won it..

Just imagine if you were Argentinian? 4 years after having your arse kicked by The Brits in a war.... what a God he must have been to them.. and that WC was only part of it,, Look what he did at Napoli.... IMO he was the best..
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- November 28, 2020 12:42 AM GMT
If uk were not so determined to have
4 votes in fifa then bestie and giggsy
would have graced world cups
and maybe uk would have won more
than England's one.

Hey ho
Report Hank Hill December 1, 2020 9:02 PM GMT
A great tribute from David Squires: https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/dec/01/david-squires-on-diego-maradona-murals#comment-145678462

For those that don't know of him he is a fantastic cartoonist and worth reading each week.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com