Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sixtwosix
08 Nov 20 15:11
| Topic/replies: 20,286 | Blogger: sixtwosix's blog
7 years from winning the FA Cup ...currently 2-2 with Chorley and down to 10 men in  the First Round ..........
Pause Switch to Standard View Wigan Athletic
Show More
Report sixtwosix November 8, 2020 2:47 PM GMT
Make that 2-3Laugh
Report Angoose November 8, 2020 2:56 PM GMT
How the mighty are fallen Sad
Report sparrow November 8, 2020 2:57 PM GMT
The worst thing they ever did was to win that FA Cup and get relegated at the same time.
Report Coachbuster November 8, 2020 3:53 PM GMT
a good day surely if you had a  Chorley /Crawley  double
Report Angoose November 8, 2020 4:09 PM GMT
Aye, but did you do that double to qualify or did you go for 90 minutes Confused
Report tashkent terror November 10, 2020 10:34 PM GMT
Sparrow...i'm sure if you ask any genuine Wigan fan they will strongly disagree...May 11th 2013 "the best day of my life".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeO5gixyFQ

and this my favourite....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80EoQarNn6U
Report scandanavian_haven November 10, 2020 11:12 PM GMT
Even when Wigan were in the Premier League, their ground was always half empty. They're a Rugby town really.
Report sparrow November 11, 2020 4:39 PM GMT
Tashkent......You surprise me in this day and age. Maybe 40 years ago the FA Cup was more important but unfortunately not these days.
Report hulk23 November 11, 2020 9:40 PM GMT
Even when Wigan were in the Premier League, their ground was always half empty. They're a Rugby town really.

grounds half empty for almost all the rugby fixtures ...
Report Coachbuster November 11, 2020 10:24 PM GMT
it's certainly in rugby territory ...st helens ,leigh ,warrington ,wigan warriors ...widnes a bit further out .. but a lot of those fans also  pop along to the football ,maybe more likely the Manchester clubs ,just not Wigan 

Wigan itself is a tiny little town ,surprised it managed gates of 14,000 in the premier league  to be fair
Report tashkent terror November 11, 2020 10:32 PM GMT
Sparrow, Not disagreeing with you but I can't explain it and any Wigan fan will tell you the same.

From non league to FA Cup winners, it was just what happened on that day for our small town club.

Check the records, not many of the 92 league clubs will have that memory...ask a Newcastle fan Wink
Report sparrow November 11, 2020 10:45 PM GMT
Yes tashkent we sometimes forget that Wigan was not so very long ago (to some of us anyway) a non league club.
So who we are to argue what is more important?
I just recall many moons ago Leicester reaching the FA Cup final and getting relegated and thinking they ought to have concentrated on their Division 1 status. Just looked it up and it was 1969 and they lost to Manchester City.
Report Coachbuster November 11, 2020 10:47 PM GMT
Middlesbrough managed two cup finals and got relegated the same year lol
Report sparrow November 11, 2020 10:48 PM GMT
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/15/wigan-athletic-relegat...
Report scandanavian_haven November 11, 2020 11:00 PM GMT
The problem with that Wigan team is that they couldn't defend for Toffee, Martinez couldn't organise a defence, low budget an excuse, you look at the likes of Burnley that came up and Sheff United last season, a cup run was no reason for relegation, playground defending was the problem.
Report Analyst November 13, 2020 10:34 PM GMT
I felt sorry for Wigan - relegated by the authorities like Boro were in 1997, both with points deductions.

The owner of Wigan (Dave Whelan) did a great job getting Wigan Atheltic from non league to the Premiership and FAC winners.

Wigan used to attract other football fans from all over the North West with cheap season tickets (£200 a season). Even from Premoership games it was only £15 a ticket compared with £30 a ticket at other grounds. Away fans could have upto 5000 tickets as well.

They seem big sports fans in that part of Lancashire as the Rugby League would attract 25,000 fans in an area of 321,000 people.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com